Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Fire Don Was NOW ! The Voodoo Disaster part1
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 17, 2019 23:22

can i ask where you get 10 cd,s worth of outtakes of voodoo lounge. or cd,s of any outtakes. would be interested in getting some.

i think voodoo lounge is a bit weak collectively to make a good stones album, but it has some good songs and potential.

you got me rocking isnt great, why they play it live i dont know.

love is strong has potential to be a great song, a bit like slave is.

some good writing but the album lacks conviction which is a shame as it could have been a real good stones album.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: April 17, 2019 23:25

Don Was not going anywhere. The band is OBVIOUSLY happy with him at this point in their career. Switching producers now would probably force more delays in the already 'Long Lost' new Stones LP. I always wondered why they employed him to begin with, but if he were a YES man then how is it none of Jaggers' groove trax didn't make the album? Was must have argued for the trax he wanted, and the sound he wanted. I think Jagger may have been correct, in hindsight of course. Too much retro stuff coming out at that time--a groove-oriented Stones album may have been just the thing. I like VL but like most '80s on up Stones records it could have been better.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: April 17, 2019 23:51

I’m not sure if Don Was is the one to blame, because pretty much every album after Exile has its “why didn’t they include this song in the album?” Or “why did they mix it this way?”, among other complaints.

The one constant in all of those post-Exile albums is the Glimmer Twins, so I think the buck stops with them.

There is something I find uninteresting about Voodoo Lounge. I like YGMR, LIS, The Worst, Thru and Thru, Sweethearts Together, I Go Wild and even though it’s not part of the album, The Storm. But they’re mixed in with too many uninteresting songs. I think A Bigger Bang suffered from this too. Too many tracks maybe, but whose fault is that?

Others have mentioned that they should hire a producer who will challenge them, but at this stage in their career, no artist of their status would do that. Sure, Bob Dylan hired Daniel Lanois to produce Time Out of Mind and it won all sorts of accolades...but it was also the last time they worked together, because it was such a contentious creative process.

- Cam

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 18, 2019 01:20

Listen to the disastrous Black Crowes album that has his name on it. Those songs also work well live, but the production on that Crowes album makes them sound like a different band, and not a very good one.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: April 18, 2019 02:50

CamRS

The one constant in all of those post-Exile albums is the Glimmer Twins, so I think the buck stops with them.

- Cam

Agree with this - The Stones are the ones calling the shots so blame DW but the real bone to pick if one doesn't like production is with Mck and Keith.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 18, 2019 03:57

buttons67
can i ask where you get 10 cd,s worth of outtakes of voodoo lounge. or cd,s of any outtakes. would be interested in getting some.

Ofcourse he ment the bootleg 4cd boxsets Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew and the 2cd set Voodoo Residue, in total 10 cd's with outtakes. Later Wonderland (or a sublabel) released the same recordings in a 10 cd boxset as Voodoo.

Date: April 18, 2019 05:07

keefriff99
dcba
keefriff99
Please...they're in their mid/late 70s. We're never gonna see a great Stones record irrespective of who the producer is.

And I think this is the conclusion Jagger came to too in the early 90's.

Translation : Mick prefers to work in the studio with a "yes man" who'll make sure things go quickly and smoothly. The most horrible thing for him would be to face a perfectionist who'd make the Stones work on the songs over and over till they reach sth like the brillance of the 68-72 era.
Once he enters the studio Jagger just wants to put out a decent album (with two catchy singles) which will be the vehicule for the main goal he wants to reach : a lucrative world-wide tour.
I mean why splitting hairs on a song which won't be played live at all or will only be played during the immediate tour and then forgotten. Jagger is pragmatic.

Only Keef lives in the illusionary world where the Stones get stronger each year and still have to reach their apex in th studio or on a stage.
That's a great point honestly.

I didn't mean to be harsh in my initial post, but really, it's a bit silly to hold out hope we're going to suddenly get a latter-day masterpiece from the Stones at this point.

That doesn't mean I don't want to hear new music from them, but I have no illusions about what we're most likely to get. Hell, I thought Doom and Gloom was a great little rocker.

No, it's terrible point. Not that it isn't accurate. Totally agree that this is probably where Jagger's head is at. But in a way if the public, and we as hardcore fans accept that, then that is bad. There are plenty of artists out there, not only in music, who hold themselves to an always reaching, higher standard. Jagger takes his work serious; He is intent on delivering a top show. I don't think he realizes what a truly good album, and show is anymore though. The possibilities. He doesn't seem to really want to be challenged artistically.
And I am aware of me sitting here typing away, and Jagger has given me zillions of hours of hard body training, running miles on stage every night - he has been like a comet.
But it SEEMS that Jagger wouldn't kind a real artistic and commercial success one more time. To do that I do feel he would have to step outside that box; away from Don Was, Matt Clifford, Dave Stewart, and be roughed up a little.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 18, 2019 05:45

lem motlow
Guys ,please don’t make me take up space answering stupid shit. Of course I know Don Was didn’t do the mix or master Voodoo Lounge.
I would assume if you have your name on a Rolling Stones album next to Jagger and Richards as producer that you heard the final product.
The fact that he didn’t have a fit over something fans on the internet can hear clear as day means he’s the problem.

MICK JAGGER:”there were a lot of things we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don steered us away from.groove songs,African influences and things like that.
And he steered us clear of all that and I think it was a mistake.”
(RS magazine 1995)

What we can see here is -1. Mick thought the album could’ve been better and 2.Don Was doesn’t just sit there agreeing with the band,it’s worse than we thought,he actually gets in the way.

Here’s his response -“I’m not anti-groove,I’m anti-groove without substance in the context of the album.
They had a number of great grooves but I was like “what goes on top of it,where does it go.?”

You can see from this he doesn’t even understand how the Stones work.they work those grooves in the studio for hours and like an artist with a huge lump of clay the songs slowly form out of it.
We all know Start me Up was a reggae song that they jammed on until it evolved into what it became.
Same with Sympathy,you’ve all heard Mick say it was a sort of samba.After working it hour after hour it became great.
If this guy was there he would’ve been telling them ,”ok great now write a song”
He’s clueless, he’s in the way and needs to be out of there or you’ll never see another great Stones record.

I understand thinking of Don Was as a yes man but that is completely missing what Mick said in the above Quote.
To be honest I thought that for years myself,but it seems he not only steered the band off course but that Mick wasn’t happy with the results.
How he wasn’t sent packing right then just baffles me.
And then Bigger Bang? It makes no sense.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 18, 2019 05:49

UGot2Rollme
Honestly IMO, Vodoo Lounge was their last stellar album and I love the production. But that might have been their last work with Don Was so maybe band agreed with you?

Voodoo Lounge sounds great to me too. I don't know enough about production to comment or even really care - If I like the songs, then all is good.

Regarding sound, people forget what it was like in the early 70s (and before), when you were listening to scratchy records on shitty portable phonographs with a small single speaker, and still enjoyed the hell out of those songs!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 18, 2019 06:05

LeonidP
UGot2Rollme
Honestly IMO, Vodoo Lounge was their last stellar album and I love the production. But that might have been their last work with Don Was so maybe band agreed with you?

Voodoo Lounge sounds great to me too. I don't know enough about production to comment or even really care - If I like the songs, then all is good.

Regarding sound, people forget what it was like in the early 70s (and before), when you were listening to scratchy records on shitty portable phonographs with a small single speaker, and still enjoyed the hell out of those songs!

Good point.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2019 16:26

buttons67

Check over at Hot Stuff on this site. Tons of stuff available to download (or thru mail). Good luck

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:20

Isn't there anybody connected to The Stones that isn't criticized? D Jones, Leavell, Clifford, Denson, Clearmountain, Lisa, Sasha, Chaplin have all been lambasted. Ronnie and Keith are put under the microscope. Quit the hate. Because thats what it only is sometimes.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:33

lem motlow
1. Love is strong - This Keith song is a great riff with Mick doing a good job adding some lyrics. But it’s brickwalled to the point of being off-putting.If WAS knew what he was doing he would have never allowed this.
A producer has nothing do to with the brickwalling applied in mastering. Don't bash Don Was something that is not his fault.

lem motlow
3.The Worst- a good Keith Country song. But it’s recorded too damn LOUD!
Seems like you don't have a clue what's the difference between recording, mixing, and mastering. If you think certain instruments are too loud then the mixing engineer is responsible for that. Or in the case of the whole track the mastering engineer.

You bash Don Was for things he hasn't even done confused smiley That's stupid to me. I have to admid that I'm also not the biggest fan of what he has done with the Stones. But as I like many other records he produced (for example Born and Raised by John Mayer which has fantastic production work) maybe the truth is that the Stones these days are not the most easierst band to produce. I don't think they listen that much to their producers. Keith has his method of playing his song 500 times till somehow it turns into a record and if a producer would prefer a a different method then he would get fired.
I think Don Was is a very intelligent man and he knows he can't order around the Stones too much because then they would take somebody else.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 18, 2019 18:14

All this re Don Was made me dial in the wayback machine to bring up "Orquestra Was - Forever's A Long, Long Time". As part of/producer of this, Was was pretty cool. I love the eclecticism of the album and the mix of sounds and the short video accompanying it featuring Kris Kristofferson as the ghost of a Hank Williams like character. It's also cool that Merle Haggard closes out the album. I can only wonder what this type of eclectic approach in producing/recording the Stones would bring forth. If you've not heard Orquestra Was, here's a yootoob link.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:25

As others have said, the mixing and mastering is not Don Was's fault.

If you listen to this version of YGMR I wonder why they didn't keep things a bit more simple though...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:25

buffalo7478
Have the Stones has an actual real producer since Exile? It sounds like Jimmy Miller was not in control during GHS from bits I've read and the whole feel of that record being so different from the preceding Jimmy Miller records.

Chris Kimsey.

For whatever reason, the band never gives him any credit. He's been a part of or has produced EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER and STEEL WHEELS, as well as FLASHPOINT.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:31

You guys are so mean ... anyone capable of this is ok by me!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 18, 2019 20:45

I don't hate him; i'd be kind to him if i met him and not mention a thing.
it's not an emo thing for me, as much as thinking he's lost as a rock and roller, which he is surely not imo, and never was, and that effects his process and their sound.
Jack Douglas would have had a half dozen records out since ABB.
I don't even know if he's still working; lol, i'm thinking back to the 70's...
but that's also when exoms was recorded; and a general sonic 'understanding' about basic drum bass sounds and relationships used to be sorta common in loads of good songwriter, pop, and rock and roll albums at the time...it ain't rocket science imo; and i just think Don isn't 'there' really; as a rock and roller....
....i can't imagine Mick and Keith taking him all that seriously; but in truth,
they are not really a working recording band for many of those years but seem to be inspired now. I don't really care about any of anything aside from hoping Mick's health is good and that they are feeling ok and doing ok personally.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 18, 2019 20:54

sjs12
As others have said, the mixing and mastering is not Don Was's fault.

If you listen to this version of YGMR I wonder why they didn't keep things a bit more simple though...

[youtu.be]
I don't like the way the "Hey Hey"s sound, but other than that, it's much rougher and heavier. I like the extra grit and bite in Mick's vocals too.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 18, 2019 20:57

hopkins
I don't hate him; i'd be kind to him if i met him and not mention a thing.
it's not an emo thing for me, as much as thinking he's lost as a rock and roller, which he is surely not imo, and never was, and that effects his process and their sound.
Jack Douglas would have had a half dozen records out since ABB.
I don't even know if he's still working; lol, i'm thinking back to the 70's...
but that's also when exoms was recorded; and a general sonic 'understanding' about basic drum bass sounds and relationships used to be sorta common in loads of good songwriter, pop, and rock and roll albums at the time...it ain't rocket science imo; and i just think Don isn't 'there' really; as a rock and roller....
....i can't imagine Mick and Keith taking him all that seriously; but in truth,
they are not really a working recording band for many of those years but seem to be inspired now. I don't really care about any of anything aside from hoping Mick's health is good and that they are feeling ok and doing ok personally.
Jack Douglas came back to work with Aerosmith on their retro blues album, Honkin' on Bobo, which was pretty solid but not necessarily great.

He's still around, but he's gotta be in his 70s.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2019 21:44

Jack Douglas also did some nice work with Cheap Trick and John Lennon (Single Fantasy - not much he could do for Yoko).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 18, 2019 23:31

Can you imagine Jimmy Miller as producer..........if setup the drum and bass sound in the studio and some engineer mixed it out of the song.....no way........ so the producer is responsible for the sound of the complete record.............

WIKI

A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the sound recording and production of a band or performer's music, which may range from recording one song to recording a lengthy concept album.[1] A producer has many, varying roles during the recording process.[2] They may gather musical ideas for the project, collaborate with the artists to select cover tunes or original songs by the artist/group, work with artists and help them to improve their songs, lyrics or arrangements.

A producer may also:

Select session musicians to play rhythm section accompaniment parts or solos
Co-write[3]
Propose changes to the song arrangements
Coach the singers and musicians in the studio

The producer typically supervises the entire process from preproduction, through to the sound recording and mixing stages, and, in some cases, all the way to the audio mastering stage. The producer may perform these roles themselves, or help select the engineer, and provide suggestions to the engineer.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 19, 2019 00:56

Been saying same thing for years. He has ruined album after album.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 19, 2019 01:35

lem motlow
Guys ,please don’t make me take up space answering stupid shit. Of course I know Don Was didn’t do the mix or master Voodoo Lounge.
I would assume if you have your name on a Rolling Stones album next to Jagger and Richards as producer that you heard the final product.
The fact that he didn’t have a fit over something fans on the internet can hear clear as day means he’s the problem.

MICK JAGGER:”there were a lot of things we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don steered us away from.groove songs,African influences and things like that.
And he steered us clear of all that and I think it was a mistake.”
(RS magazine 1995)

What we can see here is -1. Mick thought the album could’ve been better and 2.Don Was doesn’t just sit there agreeing with the band,it’s worse than we thought,he actually gets in the way.

Here’s his response -“I’m not anti-groove,I’m anti-groove without substance in the context of the album.
They had a number of great grooves but I was like “what goes on top of it,where does it go.?”

You can see from this he doesn’t even understand how the Stones work.they work those grooves in the studio for hours and like an artist with a huge lump of clay the songs slowly form out of it.
We all know Start me Up was a reggae song that they jammed on until it evolved into what it became.
Same with Sympathy,you’ve all heard Mick say it was a sort of samba.After working it hour after hour it became great.
If this guy was there he would’ve been telling them ,”ok great now write a song”
He’s clueless, he’s in the way and needs to be out of there or you’ll never see another great Stones record.

Now you made the point

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 19, 2019 03:30

He produced Blue And Lonesome. So I guess some people here hate that too.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 19, 2019 04:38

GasLightStreet
buffalo7478
Have the Stones has an actual real producer since Exile? It sounds like Jimmy Miller was not in control during GHS from bits I've read and the whole feel of that record being so different from the preceding Jimmy Miller records.

Chris Kimsey.

I wonder if he bowed out of his own accord a la Glynn Johns? Has he ever commented on the matter?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 19, 2019 04:39

Cooltoplady
He produced Blue And Lonesome. So I guess some people here hate that too.

Maybe that's the reason for the headline...part1...whatever...

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 19, 2019 06:50

The best sounding "Stones" albums in the last 30 years were produced by Keith and Steve Jordon. A shame Mick would never go there.....or would he ?

scuk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-19 06:55 by straycatuk.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 19, 2019 07:40

What is mastering then? In my mind I envision it's the process of taking the final stereo mix from the studio and using that to cut an actual LP album and "lay the grooves" for an LP. Incidentally, I read that they often had to shave the low end off of the final studio master tape so that it could fit onto an LP. So many records that we know don't have the "real" sound that the artist intended.

So, in the digital world there is no laying the master tape onto a vinyl record, and no issue with shaving off the low end.

Here is what I don't get. Again I don't understand what "mastering" is but here is what you seem to be implying: The artist and the mixer and the producer produce the final stereo mix-down and this is a digital file. They have 100% control over this and presumably they listen to it on high-end studio monitors and like what they hear and release it.

Then it sounds like some mastering person says, "We have to brickwall half of the songs so they will be loud on the radio and be listenable in a car." So the mastering person takes this final piece of art and modifies it before the CDs and downloads are available. Is this what I am hearing?

It doesn't seem to make any sense in that why would the people that work on album surrender all control at the final release step to some other person that does the "mastering?"

Would it not make more sense that everybody hears the final final release after the "mastering?"

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 19, 2019 08:53

"But it’s brickwalled to the point of being off-putting."

I would say this about A Bigger Bang, which is a disaster in that sense. I don't think this is the case for VL. Sounds pretty good to me. I do like the more "live" sounding stuff on the outtakes, but I don't think you can call the album brickwalled in the mastering sense.

Bridges and VL both have a nice warm sound. Especially Bridges on vinyl.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home