Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Interaction on stage between Keith and Bill
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 02:07

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
Yep, there was a musical interaction between Keith and Bill back in the old days. Although it was mostly a one-way street: Bill kept his ears on Keith's guitar and slightly anticipated what he was playing (while Charlie slightly followed behind), those three together causing thereby the famous 'wobble' - Keith eyes and ears clocked, just trusting his intuition, and the two other following him. However, Bill occasionally would even lead the whole band by pointing out the chord and song part changes (which means also Keith was keeping on eye on his doings).

The result of that 'wobble' was the sound of the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

I guess people might think with 'interaction' something else, but as far as I am concerned, the only only interaction which matters is the one I described above.

- Doxa

It's called "Designer Sloppiness",. like Jeff Beck put it, cause he doesn't understand it either. I myself don't believe that there's a "deliberate" way of creating the "wobble" like you describe it: Keith following Charlie or Bill taking the lead , taking an eye etc etc. It's merely the mood of the day, the way of recording or even the position of the amps on stage. It's a matter of timing i.e. syncopation at best, like every good rock or blues band, but you cannot control milliseconds in music by looking at each other and than controlling it, hence the "wobble".
That's were the musical paradox of the Stones' "old sound" creeps in. There 's no musical explanation or whatsoever. They have no conductor, not Charie, Bill or Keith. It's a coincidence of different people with a different but familiar musical heartbeat cementing it together. It just happens, spontaneously. There's a good chance that I misinterpret your post though.

I don't think there was anything 'delibarate' in what Charlie, Bill & Keith once did together. It all just happened by instinct, or if you like, they've learned by doing. They just happened to intreract that way, just by playing together. And what I did described was the way Bill has described it. My picture is that Keith is simply just so thick head that he actually doesn't listen at all what anyone else does, but just plays as he wishes, guided just by his intuition. And the rest are forced to follow him. And they - Charlie and Bill - do that superbly. That's why Keith 'loves' Charlie, because there probably aren't many drummers in the world who would actually do what he does, making everything very easy for Keith. The secret of the Stones sound is indeed Keith's timing, but the true heroes are indeed Charlie and Bill - making Keith's idiosyncracies to swing steady and coherent. One could even say that Keith is spoiled for having such partners to play with.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 02:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 18, 2019 10:29

wonderboy
I don't think it has anything to do with KEith's feeling toward either Bill or Darryl, but everything to do with Keith becoming a more demonstrative and more relaxed personality in his later years.

There' something in that I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 14:46 by Spud.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2019 10:36

Doxa
Yep, there was a musical interaction between Keith and Bill back in the old days. Although it was mostly a one-way street: Bill kept his ears on Keith's guitar and slightly anticipated what he was playing (while Charlie slightly followed behind), those three together causing thereby the famous 'wobble' - Keith eyes and ears clocked, just trusting his intuition, and the two other following him. However, Bill occasionally would even lead the whole band by pointing out the chord and song part changes (which means also Keith was keeping on eye on his doings).

The result of that 'wobble' was the sound of the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

I guess people might think with 'interaction' something else, but as far as I am concerned, the only only interaction which matters is the one I described above.

- Doxa

Yes and then there are those moments when Keith recharges, changes position on the fretboard and you can hear Bill thumping away. The greatest rhythm section. With Mick, Nicky and Mick flying like butterflies.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2019 10:37

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

It's called "Designer Sloppiness",. like Jeff Beck put it, cause he doesn't understand it either. I myself don't believe that there's a "deliberate" way of creating the "wobble" like you describe it: Keith following Charlie or Bill taking the lead , taking an eye etc etc. It's merely the mood of the day, the way of recording or even the position of the amps on stage. It's a matter of timing i.e. syncopation at best, like every good rock or blues band, but you cannot control milliseconds in music by looking at each other and than controlling it, hence the "wobble".
That's were the musical paradox of the Stones' "old sound" creeps in. There 's no musical explanation or whatsoever. They have no conductor, not Charie, Bill or Keith. It's a coincidence of different people with a different but familiar musical heartbeat cementing it together. It just happens, spontaneously. There's a good chance that I misinterpret your post though.

I don't think there was anything 'delibarate' in what Charlie, Bill & Keith once did together. It all just happened by instinct, or if you like, they've learned by doing. They just happened to intreract that way, just by playing together. And what I did described was the way Bill has described it. My picture is that Keith is simply just so thick head that he actually doesn't listen at all what anyone else does, but just plays as he wishes, guided just by his intuition. And the rest are forced to follow him. And they - Charlie and Bill - do that superbly. That's why Keith 'loves' Charlie, because there probably aren't many drummers in the world who would actually do what he does, making everything very easy for Keith. The secret of the Stones sound is indeed Keith's timing, but the true heroes are indeed Charlie and Bill - making Keith's idiosyncracies to swing steady and coherent. One could even say that Keith is spoiled for having such partners to play with.

- Doxa

Spot on

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 18, 2019 11:29

Doxa

- Doxa

Keith doesn't listen what others do????

No way, no way at all!

Probably it happened a few times in the early 60s, but the problem was not him being too thick, rather that nobody could hear a thing on stage.

If there is one thing that makes Keith's guitar work so interesting is how he listens - but I should better say "feels" - and reacts to the music the band creates.

C

Date: April 18, 2019 13:07

liddas
...If there is one thing that makes Keith's guitar work so interesting is how he listens - but I should better say "feels" - and reacts to the music the band creates.

C

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 14:14

liddas
Doxa

- Doxa

Keith doesn't listen what others do????

No way, no way at all!

Probably it happened a few times in the early 60s, but the problem was not him being too thick, rather that nobody could hear a thing on stage.

If there is one thing that makes Keith's guitar work so interesting is how he listens - but I should better say "feels" - and reacts to the music the band creates.

C

Nope. Keith is not a follower but a leader. The Stones shine or fall due to Keith's 'feel'. Bill and Charlie always do their best and are always safe and sure, the straightest rhythm section of rock. But the scheme is laid by Keith, and there is nothing they can do if Keith has a day off or doesn't have the right 'feel'. Keith's the pulse, the heart of the band, and the whole body of the band reflects him. Listening to a show from 1969 to 1982 (since 1989 the dynamics has changed) the difference between a great and not so great night is simply easy to track down how Keith is doing. 'I shine when the band shines', as he once put it. Mostly they did.

Those days when they couldn't hear each other, Charlie didn't follow Keith's guitar but Mick's moving ass....

- Doxa

Date: April 18, 2019 14:19

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Pff, difficult stuff.. Keith is a huge part of the secret of Stones sound simply because he plays on most of the songs, very audible. There are songs however without Keith that sound like the Stones. Fingerprint File, Sway , 100years ago, Stop breaking down, Moonlight Mile. We wouldn't even notice Keith's absence if we didn't know it. Keith is not the secret here. Sympathy for the Devil (studio) is another good example, Keith doing a great solo, but it's Hopkins and the percussion doing a big part of the the drive. No significant rhythm guitar whatsoever, if there's a rhythm guitar at all.

What makes Keith the King is (also) the very fact that he wrote most songs and came up with some great riffs. But it always took 5 or 6 to Tango, Doxa. I'm not bashing Keith, I just try to put things in a more objective view. And maybe we should redefine the term "Wobble"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 14:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 18, 2019 14:30

Whoever is driving it, whether that be Keith , Charlie ...or Bill for that matter....

...the "wobble" is a kind of natural syncopation , coming from the way they each individually feel the timing.

There's sometimes some intentional messing with the groove too ...but the Stones' engine timing is mostly just the way they feel it.

Date: April 18, 2019 15:21

Spud
Whoever is driving it, whether that be Keith , Charlie ...or Bill for that matter....

...the "wobble" is a kind of natural syncopation , coming from the way they each individually feel the timing.

There's sometimes some intentional messing with the groove too ...but the Stones' engine timing is mostly just the way they feel it.

Keith in general tends to play a bit ahead of the beat, a bit of natural syncopation. It's in the nature of many guitarists. Mick Taylor is more a laid-back
kind of rhythm player. That's why he often goes a bit unnoticed through the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 15:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home