Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Notre Dame Cathedral on FIRE!
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 17, 2019 21:46

Because of the restoration work, the statues off the roof had already been taken down so they are OK.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 17, 2019 23:06

as long as the stonework is restored, as some of it was damaged inside, and fresh wood is put in to replace the destroyed wood, any damaged glass restored, and to the exact specification it was before the fire then i think people will be happy with that.

it needed restoration anyway, but was struggling to get the funding, now its got that. and the 850 year old wood instillations were dangerous and needed replaced.

not as if the whole building was lost, so it still retains its history,

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 18, 2019 11:33

MAF
It's not "only" a church. It's much more especially for the people in Paris, in France - a national symbol, a treasure etc. This fire is a big tragedy.
I visited this incredible church in 2017 the day after the last Stones show. Remember one of the unofficial graphics: It shows a view from Notre Dame...

Here it is:

d.f

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 18, 2019 12:14

Thanks, Flowers. Epic picture.

Date: April 18, 2019 12:29

Welcome Stoneage.

Epic and Stones-related.

d.f

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 18, 2019 13:01

There was some guy on TV this morning and he explained he made all sorts of measurings with laser devices of the whole cathedral years ago.
So there is the technical possibility to rebuild what was destroyed with a minute level of exactitude.

I hope this man's pov will prevail because for the moment "some" push for a quick "modern" (read : butt-ugly) reconstruction.

Date: April 18, 2019 15:09

dcba
There was some guy on TV this morning and he explained he made all sorts of measurings with laser devices of the whole cathedral years ago.
So there is the technical possibility to rebuild what was destroyed with a minute level of exactitude.

I hope this man's pov will prevail because for the moment "some" push for a quick "modern" (read : butt-ugly) reconstruction.

they need to do whatever it takes to make it safe. there are already parts of the structure that were built centurys after other parts with materials and styles of design not even thought of/invented when other parts were built.

funny everyone acts like the entire thing was the same age

Date: April 18, 2019 16:15

Yesterday a German TV channel reported about a computer game that plays inside, outside, on top of the roofs a.s.o. of the cathedral. They said that to develop this game exact an scanning of the whole place was done, and that these data maybe useful now in the reconstruction.

d.f

Date: April 18, 2019 16:17

dead.flowers
Yesterday a German TV channel reported about a computer game that plays inside, outside, on top of the roofs a.s.o. of the cathedral. They said that to develop this game exact an scanning of the whole place was done, and that these data maybe useful now in the reconstruction.

d.f

yes it was max payne or something like that

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:15

This really is a disaster, but I am glad people here at IORR share my sentiments about the horrible loss of an significiant icon of our cultural history. Of course, the loss could have been even more fatal, but gladly the worst didn't come true.

A minor, not so important point: I haven't visited 'Our Lady' since my inter-rail days in 1987, but I had a plan to do that in next June when I will visit Paris. Sadly, no possible any longer.

- Doxa

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:29

Doxa
This really is a disaster, but I am glad people here at IORR share my sentiments about the horrible loss of an significiant icon of our cultural history. Of course, the loss could have been even more fatal, but gladly the worst didn't come true.

A minor, not so important point: I haven't visited 'Our Lady' since my inter-rail days in 1987, but I had a plan to do that in next June when I will visit Paris. Sadly, no possible any longer.

- Doxa

Doxa, if you can, go to Saint Chapelle.
[www.sainte-chapelle.fr]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2019 17:44

35love

Doxa, if you can, go to Saint Chapelle.
[www.sainte-chapelle.fr]

thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: April 18, 2019 19:16

I couldn't agree more.Notre Dame may be the big one, one of the most famous, if not the most famous cathedral in the world, but the much smaller Sainte Chapelle is mindblowing. Beautifull ground, amazing stained glass, very thin pillars...there is something that hit you when you pass the entrance and turn you very emotional (and i say that as a strong atheist). Plan your visit on a sunny day and be prepared for a big wooow!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 18, 2019 21:04

35love
dcba
mtaylor
Macaroni says it will be rebuilt in 5 years.

Yeah right on time for the 2024 Paris Olympics... Sure thing, Mac! eye rolling smiley
15 to 20 years is more likely.

Well, now there is real cash donors plus it is valuable tourist center
technology
there will be a new roof on the church tout de suite

With tax deduction of 60%. The donating ones want tax deduction of 90%.
Then biggest donor is the French State, the people.

Date: April 18, 2019 22:16

It's not that simple. Some opponents say that at the end the state (subtitle the people) will pay. And very probably the tax deduction will be raised from 60 % to 75 % (and not 90 % as far as i know).
But:
1/ Fondations (non profit) don't pay taxes and won't get a tax credit.
2/ Foreign donators won't.
3/ One of the big french donators (don't remember if it's Bernard Arnaud or Francois Pinaut) has announced that he won't ask for the deduction. I assume that for the "image", others will follow. BTW, when it's a company, the deduction is capped to a percentage of the turnover or the benefit (don't know exactly). So donating 100 millions doesn't mean you will get a 75 millions deduction.
4/ "Ordinary people" will get the deduction, but don't represent a major part of the total.
5/ Last but not least, the restoration will involve dozen of companies and thousands of high qualified workers. Which means income taxes, business taxes, VAT, social security taxes...

So, the idea that for example a 1 billion budget will be payed for the most part by the state at the end is partly wrong.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-18 22:25 by Jumpinjackflash59.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home