Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What's the origin of the Shepherds' Pie Tradition
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 14, 2019 01:26

I guess that everyone here knows about the famous Shepherds' Pie tradition that The Rolling Stones adhere to - and especially about Keith making the first cut.

So, my question is

When did this tradition emerge?

(PS. Any grammatical experts able to reliably confirm if it should be "Shepherd's" or "Shepherds'"? Personally I reckon the latter, as under most circumstances that's an awful lot of Pie for one person! But I note that Google maps consistently refer to the location in London where the Stones did their 'Return of the Empire' gig in 1999 as ... "Shepherd's". No longer having a London A-Z - which would be a far more valuable reference, I can't check there.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: What's the origin of the Shepherds' Pie Tradition
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 01:43

One of the funniest Keeeeef vids I've ever seen …. take 47 ….. hhhhaaa….ask any shepherd.... Big Joe Seabrook …...Fookinhhhhaaa

If ya bored from listenin to ya mother-in-laws constant dribble then cheer yaself up with this one...……….

------ >>>>>>>>> [www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2019 01:54

Great vid, thanks Rockman!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:30

See also [keefpie.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:35

Haha, what a great damn video!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 14, 2019 08:38

The ultimate deliciousness of Shepherds' Pie, nor the excellence of Keith's recipe, is not for one moment in doubt.

What I'm trying to seek out is when it turned from something eminently suitable to grab before a show, into a formal ceremonial requirement! Possibly even a rider in the contract.

When, and was there something that triggered it.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 14, 2019 09:16

the kitchen usually

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-14 10:08 by hopkins.

Date: April 14, 2019 15:36

Habit! Because he likes it! It's filling so he doesn't get hungry during the show.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:19

It's the Seventies it was a line of Shepherd's pie and a big plate of cocaine.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:57

And don't forget, "Cheese is just wrong!"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 15, 2019 15:04

You know that's the one thing that's always troubled and hurt me about my hero Keith .

I can forgive him the drugs, the drink, the bum notes and the bullshit

..But how can you not like cheese ? grinning smiley

[As an aside...I did try Keith's tip about lastly popping a few slices of raw onion on top of the mix before adding the mashed spuds and baking the pie...and it really works ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-15 15:09 by Spud.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 15, 2019 16:21

Spud
You know that's the one thing that's always troubled and hurt me about my hero Keith .

I can forgive him the drugs, the drink, the bum notes and the bullshit

..But how can you not like cheese ? grinning smiley

[As an aside...I did try Keith's tip about lastly popping a few slices of raw onion on top of the mix before adding the mashed spuds and baking the pie...and it really works ]

as a fellow Shepherd's Pie connoisseur I struggle to fathom how the great man can favour Daddies over HP

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 18:20

Traditionally, shepherd's pie was a dish to use up the leftovers of yesterday's roast lamb. So it would have bits of meat (rather than minced lamb) and vegetables in it. And most likely meat gravy (as opposed to a tin of tomatoes) as the basis of the sauce..

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 15, 2019 18:39

sjs12
Traditionally, shepherd's pie was a dish to use up the leftovers of yesterday's roast lamb. So it would have bits of meat (rather than minced lamb) and vegetables in it. And most likely meat gravy (as opposed to a tin of tomatoes) as the basis of the sauce..

That's the way my mother used to make it and it was delicious. My version has a touch of garlic, carrot and tomato paste. I don't use a tin of tomatoes and it's very nice, but not as nice as leftover roast and gravy.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 16, 2019 12:08

Keith should try mine, I make a good one.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 16, 2019 14:19

Is this all a bit hyped up?
I seem to recall the big media interest when John Lennon revealed in 1980 he had been baking his own bread.
Big deal eh?!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 16, 2019 15:49

Of course it's all "a bit hyped up"

It was just a bit of fun that Keith & then everybody ran with ...and which then acquired a life of its own .

[That's how myths & legends of all sizes get up and running grinning smiley]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2019 00:36

Keith and Jack Daniels
Beatles and Jelly Babies ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 17, 2019 01:05

Ive always preferred cottage pie over shepherds pie.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 17, 2019 01:50

Pot pies for me, Amy's vegetable. Keith might not approve, but I love em.

Date: April 17, 2019 06:56

[en.wikipedia.org]
glad i could help
---------------------------

Shepherd's pie (lamb) or cottage pie (ground/minced beef) is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato.[1][2][3][4][5]

The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are minced red meat ("cottage pie" refers to beef filling and "shepherd's pie" refers to lamb), cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions and sometimes other vegetables, such as peas, celery or carrots, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. The pie is sometimes also topped with grated cheese to create a layer of melted cheese on top.

Contents
1 Etymology
2 History
3 Variations and similar dishes
4 See also
5 References
Etymology
The term cottage pie was in use by 1791,[2][6] when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor (cf. "cottage", meaning a modest dwelling for rural workers).

The term shepherd's pie did not appear until 1854,[2] and was initially used synonymously with cottage pie, regardless of whether the meat was beef or mutton.[1][4][7][8][9][10][11][12] However, since the 20th century, the term shepherd's pie is used only when the meat is lamb.[13][14][15]

History
In early cookery books, the dish was a means of using leftover roasted meat of any kind, and the pie dish was lined on the sides and bottom with mashed potato, as well as having a mashed potato crust on top.[8][9]

Variations and similar dishes
Other potato-topped pies include:

The modern Cumberland pie is a version with either beef or lamb and a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese on top. In medieval times, and modern-day Cumbria, the pastry crust had a filling of meat with fruits and spices.[16]
In Quebec, a variation on the cottage pie is called Pâté chinois. It is made with ground beef on the bottom layer, canned (creamed) corn in the middle, and mashed potato on top.
The shepherdess pie is a vegetarian version made without meat, or a vegan version made without meat and dairy.[17]
In the Netherlands, a very similar dish called philosopher's stew (Dutch: filosoof) often adds ingredients like beans, apples, prunes, or apple sauce.[18]
In Brazil, a dish called in Portuguese: escondidinho refers to the fact that a manioc puree hides a layer of sun-dried meat. The dish often includes cheese and chicken or cod is sometimes used instead of beef.[19]
A St. Stephen's Day pie is made with turkey and ham.[20]
Fish pie is another part of English cuisine, made of fish and seafood in a sauce, all topped with mashed potato.
In Irish this dish is known as pióg an aoire.[21]
In France a similar dish is called Hachis Parmentier
See also
icon Food portal
Antoine-Augustin Parmentier
Pâté chinois
British cuisine
English cuisine
Hachis Parmentier
Irish cuisine
List of English dishes
List of Irish dishes
List of pies, tarts and flans
--------------------------------------

ok?

i want a comprehensive report. minimum thousand words.
or, you guessed it, no pie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-17 06:59 by hopkins.

Date: April 17, 2019 06:59

hopkins
the kitchen usually

got to be some kind of smart-ass in every thread, i swear...ban this guy.
he says he forgot he posted it and it's a surprise to him too,
...sure, sure....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-17 07:00 by hopkins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home