Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: MICK: HOW DOES HE RATE AS A GUITAR PLAYER
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:58

I remember Ronnie claiming he had taught him to play the guitar after he joined and that's why he was playing all over "Some Girls"...not really sure what to make of this since he's playing some pretty good guitar for Ike & Tina in the GS bonus ! And he was probably playing on "Highway Child" too.

It's too bad you can barely make out what he plays on stage. I remember first trying to hear him on the Atlantic PPV in 1989 and it was a struggle.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:58

NO IDEA

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2019 23:11

gotdablouse
And he was probably playing on "Highway Child" too.

And Mick played a pretty good guitar on "Come On In My Kitchen" recorded late 1968!
He's a man of wealth, taste... and skills!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-14 23:12 by dcba.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 14, 2019 23:32

gotdablouse
I remember Ronnie claiming he had taught him to play the guitar after he joined and that's why he was playing all over "Some Girls"...not really sure what to make of this since he's playing some pretty good guitar for Ike & Tina in the GS bonus ! And he was probably playing on "Highway Child" too.

It's too bad you can barely make out what he plays on stage. I remember first trying to hear him on the Atlantic PPV in 1989 and it was a struggle.
I remember well what Ronnie said ... he said he encouraged Mick to play guitar in public and at concerts, in fact Mick started playing guitar at concerts after Some Girls.

Re: Mick: How does he rate as a guitar player?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 15, 2019 20:37

He's pretty good, but seems a little "stiff", not loosey goosey like Keith and Ronnie.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 15, 2019 21:23

when he plays guitar, its rudimentary stuff.. but if it ends up on a record, its because it served the song.

'Heaven' has some nice rhythmic playing I think by Jagger.. 'Sway is probably the standout example, along with 'Stop Breakin Down'

'Moonlight Mile' is another.. nice touch. He's a musical person, with a feel for certain things.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 15, 2019 21:50

duke richardson
when he plays guitar, its rudimentary stuff.. but if it ends up on a record, its because it served the song.

'Heaven' has some nice rhythmic playing I think by Jagger.. 'Sway is probably the standout example, along with 'Stop Breakin Down'

'Moonlight Mile' is another.. nice touch. He's a musical person, with a feel for certain things.

Sway has always been a standout guitar song in my opinion, so if that's any indication, he's a pretty darn good rhythm guitarist.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 15, 2019 21:52

bleedingman
Redhotcarpet
bleedingman
He's decent. He should be considering all the great guitar players he's been around over the years. He actually played guitar before forming the Stones.

Brian Jones formed the Rolling Stones.

I stand corrected. He played guitar before *joining* the Stones (although Keith said Stu formed the band!). You are right, obviously.

I remember reading somewhere it was Brian and Stu forming the band so maybe a couple of you are right!

Date: April 15, 2019 22:11

Brian Jones was the founder and initial leader of the Rolling Stones. Bill Wyman confirmed this again more recently.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 16, 2019 08:09

Micks not bad actually- when asked back in the 70s about it he said “Keith taught me when I was a little boy”.
He was being funny obviously but he plays like someone who learned from Keith ,of course we all know there’s a big difference between learning from Keith (whether you’re a kid listening to The records or his song writing partner)and actually playing like that.
When I saw them live in 78 I was a little off put by him holding a guitar but I had to admit the three guitars kicked ass on those Some Girls songs.
By 99 doing the title track and others just seemed perfectly normal and sounded great.
I realized for the 1000th time -what I think he should be doing isn’t always what he should be doing because he really does know what he’s doing even if at the time I can’t understand what the hell hes doing.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: April 16, 2019 16:38

Testify
gotdablouse

I remember well what Ronnie said ... he said he encouraged Mick to play guitar in public and at concerts, in fact Mick started playing guitar at concerts after Some Girls.

He played electric on the US Tour 1975 (Fingerprint File).
And acoustic guitar in R´n´R Circus.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 16, 2019 17:31

RockingLonestar
Testify
gotdablouse

He played electric on the US Tour 1975 (Fingerprint File).
And acoustic guitar in R´n´R Circus.
Before Wood's arrival in the band, Mick played the guitar in public only occasionally (rarely), since 75 and above all after Some Girls Mick played guitar regularly on concerts especially on some new songs. In SG he helped to strengthen the rhythm section.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 16, 2019 19:07

I always liked his crunchy tone on Sway and Stop Breaking Down. I wonder if he plays on any outtakes from that era?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2019 19:16

TravelinMan
I wonder if he plays on any outtakes from that era?

"I Ain't Signifying" maybe?

Date: April 16, 2019 19:25

TravelinMan
I always liked his crunchy tone on Sway and Stop Breaking Down. I wonder if he plays on any outtakes from that era?

Fingerprint File.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home