Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick: How does he rate as a guitar player?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:04

Not sure if this question has been subject to a stand alone thread before.
Its not something that would get a mention in the biographies.

I am not a guitarist myself, but wondered what musicians on this forum felt about his guitar playing skills.
Did Keith teach him the basics?
What made him take up guitar?
What does he add to the Stones sound?
Is his technique developing / does he currently have a tutor/ how does he compare to other singers/occasional players.
John Lennon was technically not a great guitarist...but friends of mine said he had a tremendous 'feel'. How does Mick compare?
Does he primally compose on guitar these days and how does this compare to his composing techniques in the 60s.

Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-14 22:17 by bv.

Re: MICK: HOW DOES HE RATE AS A GUITAR PLAYER
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:08

HE’S A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:09

Better than jimmy page n hendrixhot smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:10

He is an excellent rhythm guitar player. Never heard him play any solo passages.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:11

More or less like me, good. winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:17

It's sacrilegious to say, but I bet Mick is a more technically sound guitar player than Keith these days, only because his fingers and faculties are more intact.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:28

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 13, 2019 21:55

He's a little rigid, but otherwise OK.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 13, 2019 22:21

I can't say I'm impressed really. On live recordings you hardly hear him at all, and most of the times he simply stops playing halfway through the song and it doesn't seem to make a difference. But that doesn't mean he's a bad player, I've just not heard him play much so far.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 13, 2019 22:35

He's decent. He should be considering all the great guitar players he's been around over the years. He actually played guitar before forming the Stones.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 13, 2019 23:36

bleedingman
He's decent. He should be considering all the great guitar players he's been around over the years. He actually played guitar before forming the Stones.

Brian Jones formed the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 13, 2019 23:45

Did Keith teach him the basics? As noted, he played guitar before the Stones; however, I am sure he learned from Keith in all those hours writing songs.
What made him take up guitar? He's a musician.
What does he add to the Stones sound? He has written some good riffs. What I've read is that he wrote the riff for Sway and Brown Sugar, although Keith put his stamp on BS. He played the riff for Moonlit Mile, I think, which is lovely; however, maybe Keith played that for him. Live, I think he is just there to fatten the sound and look like a punk rocker on Some Girls songs.
Is his technique developing / does he currently have a tutor/ how does he compare to other singers/occasional players. Probably as good as any singer who also plays guitar.
John Lennon was technically not a great guitarist...but friends of mine said he had a tremendous 'feel'. How does Mick compare? No way he compares to Lennon, who was a good live player in the early days and could play complicated parts while singing.
Does he primally compose on guitar these days and how does this compare to his composing techniques in the 60s. Don't know. Generally it's probably easier to compose a song on keyboards.

Charlie once commented the Mick played 'Spanish-style' guitar. I don't know what that means but Charlie seems amused.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2019 23:58

Adequate.

I always thought he looks goofy when holding a guitar.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 14, 2019 00:37

Hairball
Adequate.

I always thought he looks goofy when holding a guitar.

I know goofy, and Mick Jagger ain’t it when holding/playing a guitar my friend.
No Sir. Not goofy one bit.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 00:44

Redhotcarpet
bleedingman

Brian Jones formed the Rolling Stones.

I stand corrected. He played guitar before *joining* the Stones (although Keith said Stu formed the band!). You are right, obviously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-14 00:46 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 14, 2019 00:48

He is a very good rhythm player for sure.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 01:17

Stop Breakin' Down …………………………………….

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2019 01:49

jlowe
Not sure if this question has been subject to a stand alone thread before.
Its not something that would get a mention in the biographies.

Did Keith teach him the basics?
What made him take up guitar?

Thank you.

Jagger played Keith's open G basics, (they are limited and one-dimensional anyway) when the lather didn't care to show up. I hardly notice the difference between Jagger and Richards on the studio records : Sway or Fingerprint File.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 14, 2019 01:54

Düsseldorf 2017

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:05

I've always thought Mick would be a great heavy metal rhythm guitar player. He's very aggressive in a freestyle kind of way. That started more or less with SOME GIRLS. A lot of those tracks had an extra edge to them with his guitar added. A strong example of his heavy guitar playing it "Hold on to Your Hat" from STEEL WHEELS. The Glimmer Twins thrash on both guitars and it's heavy and nasty shit at its finest.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 14, 2019 03:14

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 14, 2019 03:17

Rockman

"Sad Sad Sad, I think you're probably right, (we used) one of those small amps. Mick's also playing rhythm guitar, so there's a lot of guitars on that - 3 guitars on the actual track before any overdubs. That's Mick (playing the first thing you hear)... Oh yeah, he can do a fairly good imitation of me (laughs). Mind you, we spent a long time working on the sound. I join in at the very end of the riff there (bar 4). (Mick plays the open 5-string tuning.) Oh yeah. After a few years he realized I only had 5 strings (laughs) - no, he knows all my tricks. He's a good rhythm player now."

- Keith Richards 1989

I guess his opinions changed lol

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 14, 2019 04:03

Kurt
HE’S A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER

I get the joke Kurt! I guess I’m the only one.

Date: April 14, 2019 04:11

UPPER ….

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2019 14:35

He's better in open tuning, and when he relaxes and doesn't play full chords. E.g. the Blues tune on ABB, the one w/ Slide he is very good. Jagger in the Blues, period, is one of the world's greatest gifts.
But on his solo albums..not too good. Solid but. You can really tell he writes most of his songs in standard tuning, playing full chords nowadays.

Still - Jagger never ceases to amaze and surprise: one of the VERY few transcendent moments in the movie 'Shine a Light" is Jagger doing the intro for "Some Girls" on guitar.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2019 15:07

Palace Revolution 2000
one of the VERY few transcendent moments in the movie 'Shine a Light" is Jagger doing the intro for "Some Girls" on guitar.

Buddy Guy guesting on C&Reefer?During that number Jagger the bluesman really sincerely comes out (imo).

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: April 14, 2019 18:46

Great feeling on acoustic indeed, I love his touch.

Date: April 14, 2019 19:10

dcba
Palace Revolution 2000
one of the VERY few transcendent moments in the movie 'Shine a Light" is Jagger doing the intro for "Some Girls" on guitar.

Buddy Guy guesting on C&Reefer?During that number Jagger the bluesman really sincerely comes out (imo).

Not sure what you're saying; why you crossed out SG part.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 14, 2019 20:55

Average guitarist but very good on harmonica? Which he excels at in Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:44

I'm no musician .. (but I know and have recorded a ton).

Mick is decent 'technically' speaking as a rhythm guitar player. What is good about his guitar playing is his sound .. He has a very good sound and style for the band he's in.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home