Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR posting issue - Posting in a thread doesn't always bump the thread
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 12, 2019 22:11

This thread will after a while be moved into a rarely visited Forum on IORR called:

Talk About Talk

The "Talk About Talk" forum may be accessed if you use the following two links, first on top of any IORR forum, and then there is a "Talk About Talk" link on that page:

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

.... To discuss forum issues and hints on using the forum please see the special forum pages Talk About Talk.

Then to the actual reason for this thread:

Posting in a thread doesn't always bump the thread

I have got a message saying there is a problem with a certain thread. This time it is the following thread, listed below, but the issue might be related to any thread:

What are you listening to this very second?

The issue is related to scrolling. I would assume this is related to browser version, cache, device or other matters. IORR is a straight forward database, rendered into classic html/web pages, with text and graphics. There is very little fancy modern JavaScript or dynamic rendering that may go wrong on IORR.

My advice would be to check out the same pages on another device, and/or another browser. If you have Google Chrome on a PC, try incognito mode, by keying Control+Shift+N. Then you will get a completely new browser session with a fresh start. If the new session do work fine, then the issue is cache related, so you should delete all your temporarily files in your browser.

I would not rule out a technical issue with IORR, but feel free to discuss the issue here, then we will see if it is a local problem, or a general problem.

Bjornulf

Re: IORR posting issue - Posting in a thread doesn't always bump the thread
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2019 01:15

Not a big deal, but having issues with "What are you listening to thread" the last few weeks, and have never seen it happen with any other thread..
When posting, thread doesn't bump up like it used to - instead it lingers down the list.

I deleted all temporary files, cookies, etc. and did a test post, but still doesn't bump thread.
I normally use firefox, but then tried it with Internet Explorer in a completely different browser, and the same problem.

With firefox the page appears blank white, but with Internet Explorer a page appears that says:

The website cannot display the page
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------http500

Most likely causes:
-The website is under maintenance
-The website has a programming error

What you can try:
-Refresh page
-Go back to the previous page

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

I refreshed page and it took me to a list of forums - Buy/Sell/Trade, Tell Me, Ticket Trader, and Talk Feedback.
I then tried going back to previous page and clicked 'post message' again, but in red text it said can't post exact same message.
Then went down the Tell Me forum list and found the 'What are you listening to' thread and sure enough the post was there, but the thread did not bump up.

Again, not a big deal and a very minor problem, but it's a nice thread to see what kind of music everyone else is currently listening to.

Date: April 13, 2019 12:10

The problem with the thread was technical due to sql database updates. The thread was 13 years old and had 620 pages of posts. May be it got too big or too old or simply got faulty at some point on it's way. There is now a part two i.e. v2 thread up and running.

It was pretty easy to reproduce the problem. When posting there was an error message rather than the usual page coming up. Also, the thread wasn't placed on top of the forum pages. This means the database entries for the thread was in error some way.

A thread is a thread. If it does not work properly it is a bit like an old horse. Still, they shoot old horses, but on IORR old threads will just rest, they will still be there. Hopefully it does not happen too often. First time in 20 years...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-13 12:13 by bv.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2019 11:37

Sad that CindyC's name will never show up on the front page again.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 12:00

YEAH !!! .... I thought that too Green Lady .......

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2019 12:31

This is info about rejected posting access on IORR, aka banned from posting. Just for the record, and be sure I will delete any discussions on moderation details on IORR, so please do not start some sort of "bring back xxx campaign".

When a person is banned on IORR it is usually following a number of offending posts. I have a complete file of offending posts from any person on IORR for security reasons. The list is long in most cases. Some say they never saw anything offending. Right! That is because posts abour oral sex and f u and death threaths on the IORR editor or others naturally are deleted by me - the editor and moderator - long time before they are seen by most people.

I don't know why people post so much evil and offending on Internet. I have friends who walk and act and talk completely normal, bun in front of the keyboard they post highly offending and are of course banned. May be it is alcohol or may be it is just the hiding behind a nick, still, people post offending on FB too, with their real names. Hate is a sad thing about Internet.

Any person who have been banned from posting on IORR, may contact me and say sorry, and posting will be available right away in most cases, unless we talk about extreme offences. Some are too proud to say sorry, others don't care and move on to other places.

Without moderation the IORR forum pages like Tell Me would have been closed down 10 years ago. I hope people understand the reason for moderation, and my side of the story.

Bjornulf, IORR Editor

Date: April 14, 2019 12:41

Green Lady

Problem solved

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 12:55

Thanks bv .... very nice of you .... thank you

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2019 15:17

bv
Green Lady

Problem solved

Thank you - that's nice.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 15, 2019 00:32

Yes, appreciated, ty.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 15, 2019 01:58

Green Lady

Is CindyC a IORR member again

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:38

BV made my day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home