Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: ticket price of your first concert
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 11, 2019 21:16

stickyfingers101
the prices of tickets have grown due to "easy access to credit"

when I was younger (and presumably a lot of you as well), you had to have CASH to pay for your tickets...

CASH will always keep the prices down, b/c simply put, many people cannot come up w/ astronomical amounts of cash easily (w/o not paying bills for a month or something)....and it's been proven over and over and over that people ALWAYS spend less when they use cash (we have a natural aversion to spending tons of cash...not so w/ credit).

So, ticket prices had to be "reasonable" so that people could actually buy them....and would not have the "cash-aversion" created by unreasonably high prices.

These days? Everybody has a credit card (including many who should NOT), so just about anybody can buy just about anything at just about any price....and they do.

No wonder the world is drowning in consumer debt. Something like $3 trillion in the US.

I think the reason is that artists no longer make money from record/cd sales like before and record companies no longer subsidizing tour costs to sell records/cds.

Credit does make it easier to buy but prices are basically supply and demand for major artists. If tickets are worth $300 in the secondary market and the tickets sell for $30 then someone else makes the money. That is why the Stones manage pricing the way they do.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2019 21:20

KISS, 23 Jan 1978. Price was $7.50.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2019 21:53

daspyknows
stickyfingers101

when I was younger (and presumably a lot of you as well), you had to have CASH to pay for your tickets...

CASH will always keep the prices down, b/c simply put, many people cannot come up w/ astronomical amounts of cash easily (w/o not paying bills for a month or something)....and it's been proven over and over and over that people ALWAYS spend less when they use cash (we have a natural aversion to spending tons of cash...not so w/ credit).

So, ticket prices had to be "reasonable" so that people could actually buy them....and would not have the "cash-aversion" created by unreasonably high prices.

These days? Everybody has a credit card (including many who should NOT), so just about anybody can buy just about anything at just about any price....and they do.

No wonder the world is drowning in consumer debt. Something like $3 trillion in the US.

I think the reason is that artists no longer make money from record/cd sales like before and record companies no longer subsidizing tour costs to sell records/cds.

Credit does make it easier to buy but prices are basically supply and demand for major artists. If tickets are worth $300 in the secondary market and the tickets sell for $30 then someone else makes the money. That is why the Stones manage pricing the way they do.

Both valid points

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 11, 2019 22:02

I'm not sure, but I think the RS 2002/03 tour was the start of sky high ticket prices. Up until then they were more reasonable. But some statistician may prove me wrong...

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 11, 2019 22:45

October 3 1982 Manchester Apollo AC/DC + Y&T £6.50 ticket price. I paid £10 to a guy at school who wanted the money to buy a ticket for the Stones at Leeds Roundhay Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-11 22:45 by vertigojoe.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 11, 2019 22:55

Rolling Stones, J Geils, G Thorogood, 10/18/81, Candlestick Park - San Francisco CA

$16.00

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: April 11, 2019 23:06

Fugazi in 1990. No ticket, $5.00 at the door.

First Stones show was in 1997 and ticket was $60.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 12, 2019 00:24

CAN $32.50 for the Steel Wheels Tour in Montreal in 1989.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: April 12, 2019 00:26

I have some old tickets for bands such as Canned Heat, Savoy Brown and Humble Pie that are between $3.50 and $5.50. My first Stones show was 1972 in Pittsburg and that ticket was $10.50. At the time we thought it was expensive!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 12, 2019 01:15

Rolling Stones 1975 Tour of the Americas July 9,1975 Opening Night Los Angeles

Ticket Price- $12.50

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 02:40

vertigojoe
October 3 1982 Manchester Apollo AC/DC + Y&T £6.50 ticket price. I paid £10 to a guy at school who wanted the money to buy a ticket for the Stones at Leeds Roundhay Park.

Wow, I'll bet the cannons were loud inside there!

Amazed at how many people have replied the Stones were their first concert!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 15:56

daspyknows
stickyfingers101

Good points...agree 100%

and the fact that the Secondary Market is now digital as well, the scalpers can jack up the price too!!

"Street" scalpers (at least in my day) knew that nobody was showing up to the arena w/ $1000 cash in their pocket (and nobody was paying more than 2x the face value either...probably b/c they couldn't/wouldn't in a cash-only market).

That being said: Prince was my first concert - $20.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 12, 2019 15:57

Michael Jackson
Bad Tour 1988
$27.50

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: April 12, 2019 20:37

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 12, 2019 21:05

Duke Ellington with Little Stevie Wonder and the Four Seasons at Atlantic City's Steel Pier, August 1966. $2.50, plus you got a diving horse.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home