Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: ticket price of your first concert
Date: April 11, 2019 11:55

First Stones gig was Earls Court in 1976 - cost of £2.00.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 12:49

U2 at the old Cardiff Arms Park in 1987. Whole floor GA and no reserved seating. £14. For those who don't know, it was on the same spot where the Stones played last June.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 11, 2019 13:26

Elton John, $6 on the Rock of the Westies tour. I want to say 1975. I remember we were shocked when Led Zeppelin dared to charge $10 in 1977, haha.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: April 11, 2019 13:33

£25 for Voodoo Lounge tour Wembley 1995.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:05

Santana / Booker T at the Felt Forum NYC 1970. I'm pretty sure the ticket price was $3.50 but I don't have my ticket stub.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:32

My first Stones gig 70 in Essen: 20,- DM. Which was quite expensive.
But even in 65 it was 16,- DM in Germany.
In 73 its only been 16,- DM as well.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:35

$ 75.00 from a student scalper for Kansus City 1981.
Mick put a bucket of water on my head in snowy cold day.
Not a bad seat.grinning smiley

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:51

Boston, May 1977-RPI Field House, Troy, New York. $6.50. Changed my life! I live to see live music now!!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:56

nothing, it was a free ticket. I won 2 tickets for the Commodores on a radio show in 1985.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: April 11, 2019 14:58

The Clash "Combat Rock Tour" 1982 Providence Civic Center Aug 28th $ 10.50!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 11, 2019 15:17

Rush 1980 - $5.95

First Stones show 1981 - $17.50

Both in St. Louis.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 11, 2019 15:24

Can't remember the ticket price but it wasn't a lot ...for Wizard at De Montford Hall Leicester 1973. By comparison I paid £6 - which was double face value - for the 1976 concert by the Stones at Granby Halls Leicester. I had not been successful in the ticket raffle but my friend and his brother had so I bought his brother's £3 ticket!
Unreserved seating ...we got front row Keith's side

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2019 16:56

1st ever - Allman Brothers Band (with Chuck Leavell) and Wet Willie (featuring Jimmy Hall, who now works with Jeff Beck) at a benefit show in Macon. 1975 - $7.50

2 weeks later saw Lynyrd Skynyrd (with Ronnie), Charlie Daniels, and Atlanta Rhythm Section for $5.50

Saw KISS in 1977 for $6

Also in 1977 - Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Heart, ARS, and Bob Seger (all on same show) for $10

Ist Stones - Orlando, 1981. Van Halen and Henry Paul Band opened. $15!

Now ya can't buy a beer at the show for that!

Date: April 11, 2019 17:15

DGA35
Hairball
The very first rock concert I went to was absolutely FREE!

A glam rock band called Angel at the Santa Monica Civic in '76. Might have been a free concert as part of some promotional gimmick, or maybe I was given free tickets - can't recall.
Not the best band in the world, and I didn't know any of their songs, but for free it was quite an experience and well worth it!

Via wiki:

Angel was discovered by Kiss bass player Gene Simmons performing at a nightclub and was eventually signed to the same label as Kiss, Casablanca.
Angel's image of dressing in all white was a deliberate contrast to Kiss, which wore black. Angel sported an androgynous image and elaborate stage sets.
They were slammed by rock critics, and Frank Zappa ridiculed the all-male band’s feminine appearance in the song “Punky’s Whips”.
Angel never achieved mass commercial success but acquired a following as a cult band.

I don't know any Angel songs. The coolest thing about the band is their logo, which looks the same upside down!

I remember Angel and Punky Meadows!

They are actually back together doing a few shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-11 17:16 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 11, 2019 17:46

I don't know for my first concert ever, as I didn't keep the stub, but my 2nd concert ever was the Stones in 1989....Main Floor, $28.50 (plus fees), I believe.

Date: April 11, 2019 17:50

jumpontopofmebaby
DGA35
Hairball

A glam rock band called Angel at the Santa Monica Civic in '76. Might have been a free concert as part of some promotional gimmick, or maybe I was given free tickets - can't recall.
Not the best band in the world, and I didn't know any of their songs, but for free it was quite an experience and well worth it!

Via wiki:

Angel was discovered by Kiss bass player Gene Simmons performing at a nightclub and was eventually signed to the same label as Kiss, Casablanca.
Angel's image of dressing in all white was a deliberate contrast to Kiss, which wore black. Angel sported an androgynous image and elaborate stage sets.
They were slammed by rock critics, and Frank Zappa ridiculed the all-male band’s feminine appearance in the song “Punky’s Whips”.
Angel never achieved mass commercial success but acquired a following as a cult band.

I don't know any Angel songs. The coolest thing about the band is their logo, which looks the same upside down!

Angel had some of the hugest hair ever....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 11, 2019 18:36

First concert The Beatles Gator Bowl Jacksonville, Florida 1964, tickets were 2.25, Stones in Clearwater in '65 for the same price. High ticket prices didn't really come along till Michael Cohl on the '89 tour!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 11, 2019 18:52

I remember the hologram talking about tshrts in the lobby as people filed out haha

Posted by: knifeblade ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:31

The Byrds Wollman Skating Rink Central Park New York $1.50

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:33

makemeburnthecandle
Stones - $20 GA Buffalo 1981

Me too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:40

jumpontopofmebaby
DGA35
Hairball

Via wiki:

If tickets are still FREE, I might attend! smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:52

I was in a slightly different situation than most people who have posted so far.

I paid $300 for a scalped front-row ticket, Stones and Sheryl Crow, Foxboro show #2, Oct. 21, 1997.

I'd just started college and used some of my graduation money. Well worth it, as I got to make eye contact with Keith and do the "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" bow from Wayne's World at him during JJF.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: April 11, 2019 19:56

My first 6 shows all of them in Glasgow :

1965 Odeon Theatre - 6/6d equivalent now to £0.33p / USD 0.42

1966 Odeon Theatre - 10/6d equivalent now to £0.53p / USD 0.66

1971 Greens Playhouse - £ 1.00 equivalent to USD 1.30

1973 Apollo - £ 1.10 equivalent to USD 1.44

1976 Apollo - £ 3.50 equivalent to USD 4.58

1982 Apollo - £ 6.50 equivalent to USD 8.50

Date: April 11, 2019 19:58

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
DGA35
Hairball

Via wiki:

New Album and a Tour! LOL

I had the Album White Hot.

Free or not I am OUT!

[angelbandofficial.weebly.com]

Date: April 11, 2019 20:01

jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
DGA35
Hairball

Via wiki:

New Album and a Tour! LOL

I had the Album White Hot.

Free or not I am OUT!

[angelbandofficial.weebly.com]

Was trying to remember how I knew that.....but they are touring with ACE and another band called Starz

Date: April 11, 2019 20:15

I used to love Starz - Cherry Baby

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 11, 2019 20:47

Not my first show, but I still have ticket stubs from the 2 times I saw Led Zep at MSG in NY in '75 and '77. $8.50!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 20:53

mattstones
£25 for Voodoo Lounge tour Wembley 1995.

I was there too!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 11, 2019 20:57

the prices of tickets have grown due to "easy access to credit"

when I was younger (and presumably a lot of you as well), you had to have CASH to pay for your tickets...

CASH will always keep the prices down, b/c simply put, many people cannot come up w/ astronomical amounts of cash easily (w/o not paying bills for a month or something)....and it's been proven over and over and over that people ALWAYS spend less when they use cash (we have a natural aversion to spending tons of cash...not so w/ credit).

So, ticket prices had to be "reasonable" so that people could actually buy them....and would not have the "cash-aversion" created by unreasonably high prices.

These days? Everybody has a credit card (including many who should NOT), so just about anybody can buy just about anything at just about any price....and they do.

No wonder the world is drowning in consumer debt. Something like $3 trillion in the US.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 11, 2019 21:14

Rolling Stones
$7.50 in 1969

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home