Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
From the Vault. To be or not to be that is the question
Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: April 9, 2019 06:05

Hi team

Can someone answer why some of the recent releases are “From the Vault” and some aren’t. For example SAN Jose 99 was a vault release but upcoming Bremen isn’t. There are other examples. Very curious to not why and why not.

Cheers Brendon from New Zealand

Re: From the Vault. To be or not to be that is the question
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 9, 2019 06:49

Just marketing

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 9, 2019 09:51

Maybe they've just now ditched the "From the vaults" thing ?

We had VL "uncut" ....which looked like it may be the refreshed branding ...but now nothing appended to the Bremen release

Beats me confused smiley

I've never really understood where the Eagle Rock labelling fits in either...except that it seems to cover all the retrospective live releases as opposed to new or quite recent ones.

Is it maybe something to do with keeping the retro releases separate from current contractual arrangements for new albums and/or video releases ?

[Was never a fan of that cover design style with the Vaults releases...so I certainly don't miss that ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 10:05 by Spud.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 9, 2019 10:40

masoudi

Very curious to not why and why not.

Maybe it depends on if it was released in any form before - or not. For instance Miami '94 and Bremen '98 were TV-Broadcasts and therefore already 'released'. San Jose '99 wasn't imho released before and hence "From the Vault".

Date: April 9, 2019 12:26

That too sounds plausible ...

Hopefully, someone who knows the answer to this will be along to enlighten us shortly grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 12:27 by Spud.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 9, 2019 13:11

I really don't care what it says on the front cover , all I want is pristine quality audio/video with shows in there entirety and I will be very happy !

Date: April 9, 2019 14:26

thumbs up I think we'd all second that .

[...pity it doesn't always happen ]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 9, 2019 14:35

Irix
masoudi

Maybe it depends on if it was released in any form before - or not. For instance Miami '94 and Bremen '98 were TV-Broadcasts and therefore already 'released'. San Jose '99 wasn't imho released before and hence "From the Vault".

Amsterdam '95, Paris '95 and Brixton '95 have never been released before, so it's
" Uncut from the vault...." = " Totally Stripped " ... or something...

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 9, 2019 14:44

In some way I agree with Irix.
Stuff that was released before will not be a Vault release.

Vault will be stuff with minor glitches or minor quality,
like LA75 (DVD only) or Fonda 2015 (rather disappointing video, keeping in mind that it was filmed in 4k).

The Stripped Box I think was to big to be released as Vault release only, because it included 3 shows. But here is hope that they one day may release the missing
Amsterdam show as Vault release.

In the end it's just guessing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 14:44 by falo01.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 9, 2019 16:31

Irix
masoudi

Would make sense if Hampton 81 wasn't a Vault release. That was a broadcast too.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 9, 2019 16:34

Hyde Park '69 has been re-released with the "vault" label as well...there is no logic with the labels...

Date: April 9, 2019 16:45

shortfatfanny

Amsterdam '95, Paris '95 and Brixton '95 have never been released before, so it's " Uncut from the vault...." = " Totally Stripped " ... or something...

Amsterdam '95, Paris '95 and Brixton '95 were already part of the Stripped-TV-Special as well as the Stripped-Album - therefore released in a different form before ....

Date: April 9, 2019 17:00

StonedRambler

Would make sense if Hampton 81 wasn't a Vault release. That was a broadcast too.

Yep: "The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards' birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event." - [www.Amazon.com] - [www.NZentgraf.de] .

Maybe Eagle-Rock has changed in the meantime their criteria for the 'From the Vault'-Label.

Btw: 'Live at the Tokyo Dome 1990' was broadcasted by Japanese TV in 1990 (Spring+Autumn) and part of the Flashpoint-Album - [www.NZentgraf.de] - thereby also 'released' before and nevertheless 'From the Vault' ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 19:40 by Irix.

Date: April 9, 2019 17:12

OK ,

I think we're all agreed then ..

..It's either a question wrapped in an enigma...

..or a shambles . smiling smiley

Date: April 9, 2019 17:15

shortfatfanny

Hyde Park '69 has been re-released with the "vault" label as well...there is no logic with the labels...

Not everywhere - in North America it was 2015 re-released as 'From the Vault' - [www.Amazon.com] - but in Europe 2016 as 'Hyde Park Live 1969' - [www.Amazon.de] .

But I agree that there's no real logic with the Vault-Labels ....

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 9, 2019 17:24

The one that threw me was the Fonda 2015 show been released as a part of the "From the Vault" series ?

sc uk

Date: April 9, 2019 18:49

falo01
In some way I agree with Irix.
Stuff that was released before will not be a Vault release.

Vault will be stuff with minor glitches or minor quality,
like LA75 (DVD only) or Fonda 2015 (rather disappointing video, keeping in mind that it was filmed in 4k).

The Stripped Box I think was to big to be released as Vault release only, because it included 3 shows. But here is hope that they one day may release the missing
Amsterdam show as Vault release.

In the end it's just guessing....
Yes but, the Stones could do a View From the Vault Box Set( a-LA THE Grateful Dead ) and charge whatever they want and I would gladly buy it !

Date: April 9, 2019 18:50

Irix
StonedRambler

Yep: "The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards' birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event." - [www.Amazon.com] .

Maybe Eagle-Rock has changed in the meantime their criteria for the 'From the Vault'-Label ....
Wasn't Elvis comeback special in 1968 the actual very first pay per view live concert ?

Date: April 9, 2019 20:00

straycatuk

The one that threw me was the Fonda 2015 show been released as a part of the "From the Vault" series ?

Because it was literally from the Vault - done, but too late for the Sticky Fingers (Super) Deluxe Boxset, and then shelved. To release it in the Vault-Series was imho a nice trick to get an early release date without waiting too long for an Anniversary.

Date: April 9, 2019 20:21

I think most of the "From the Vault" and other releases are their way to capture revenue from their previous broadcasts.

Most of the releases so far were broadcasts that were released on bootlegs. They want the money from the bootlegs. Also, an official release means "piracy" and not "bootleg" so there is a strategy here as well.

Perhaps some others have more insight into this but it sure makes sense for the band to make some money and help stop others from benefitting from their music.

Hampton was broadcast.
Tokyo 1990 was broadcast
Miami 1994 was broadcast
San Jose 1999 was broadcast

and from what I have read on this thread most of the others were as well.

Date: April 9, 2019 20:35

georgemcdonnell314

Sure? There're no entries for a Broadcast (but professionally filmed) on [www.NZentgraf.de] and [Aeppli.ch] .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 9, 2019 20:36

Still waiting for El Mocambo........

Date: April 9, 2019 20:42

georgemcdonnell314
It definitely wasn't a broadcast. If is was there would have been Bootleg of it. But there weren't. San Jose was never seen before

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 9, 2019 20:53

i just notice that, there are vault and non vault releases of past gigs, i didnt really like the vault branding, just made every release seem part of the same project.

much prefer individual releases to get its own marketing and image.

would like stones to finish outtakes for release as brand new songs, like with tattoo you, and exile and some girls deluxe, better to get official release songs as counting towards a higher total output than just have outtakes on youtube with no official status. seems there are plenty outtakes the band could finish.

also just been getting in to many instrumental versions of songs both official and outtakes, would be good to get seperate official releases of instrumentals only, would certainly swell the official output considerably.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 9, 2019 21:39

Elmo Lewis

I second that!

Date: April 9, 2019 21:46

I think they just don't want to taint the From the vault branding by releasing too much stuff that people already own. From the vault means digging into the vault and releasing thing that most people having seen before. Miami and Bremen are nothing like that so I guess that is why they are no "vault" releases.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2019 23:12

TheGreek
Irix
StonedRambler

Yep: "The show on December 18th, which was also Keith Richards' birthday, was the first ever music concert to be broadcast on television as a pay-per-view event." - [www.Amazon.com] .

Maybe Eagle-Rock has changed in the meantime their criteria for the 'From the Vault'-Label ....
Wasn't Elvis comeback special in 1968 the actual very first pay per view live concert ?

I thought so to, not certain. But the first satellite performance for the whole world was certainly Aloha from Hawaii from 1973. And what a performance.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 9, 2019 23:28

Erik_Snow
TheGreek
Irix
StonedRambler

I thought so to, not certain. But the first satellite performance for the whole world was certainly Aloha from Hawaii from 1973. And what a performance.

Was pay per view possible in 1968?
It was first broadcast by NBC when 42% of the total television audience viewed it which would indicate that it was not.
It was shown on HBO in 1985.
[en.wikipedia.org])

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 23:32 by Deltics.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 10, 2019 09:11

TheGreek
Irix
StonedRambler

You mean the one taped and televised for free on NBC, sponsored by the Singer sewing company?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2019 12:05

Elmo Lewis

This one wasn't broadcast...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home