Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: so many newbees at this site
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 16:58

There are certainly many repeat debates which have been done to death on here. With a lack of new music, that's not really a surprise.

However, one area where this board still really comes into its own is in the planning and duration of tours. For many of us, myself included, It's an essential tool. The sharing of information, the live Showday threads (especially Cristiano's contributions) and travel ,accommodation and ticket drop tips are invaluable. On many occasions I've met fans who've turned out to be fellow posters on here I've previously communicated with.

Many friendships have been created by this board and for those of us privileged to have seen them play, there's also the IORR Band. I even met a couple once who'd met on this board!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-03 17:13 by grzegorz67.

Date: April 3, 2019 17:11

dcba
Palace Revolution 2000

And then to me the biggest loss on the boards has been just that we have talked it all out. Gone are all the huge debates that raged on for weeks at times. For better or worse we have 'concluded' on many of the matters.

I think this is absolutely untrue. The mundane topics (aka the "mainstream media" topics) have surely been discussed to death but the true "Stones fans" ones keep arising weekly.
For example the bunch of new UC outtakes give a brand new light on the (rather complex) making of the album (= the final product is quite different than its inception). Has this been discussed? Not (yet).

And often the consensus reached here is debatable : the Taylor years were the best ones? Tapes prove that the band was at its live peak after Taylor left.

DCBA, we should really go at it; debate and argue this one to death, and prove them all wrong, winking smiley.
Re the point though, we can disagree on why or what, but what is true, is that the debates just don't happen anymore. And I can only speak for myself, but I took part in all of them; and have been a lifelong hardcore Stoner. But 99% of topics I feel have been done to death, and the others like you say e.g. UC outtakes...what would we talk about them that we really haven't already discussed? We know the line ups, the various big sessions, the soap stories surrounding the eras.
I am not trying to discredit what you are saying; just saying how I see it.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 3, 2019 17:45

Yes the same debates will always come due to lack of new music by the stones - just think how many more interesting topics we would have if we had more new music to talk about.

We were all new once so that is a good thing in my mind. After 13 years my time has not been all wasted I have met a few people, traded a few boots and was motivated to pick up my guitar and have learned a lot from the many posters who have awesome knowledge about the stones and music.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 3, 2019 18:06

Welcome all new members! Amazing the Stones keep attracting new fans.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 18:15

Svartmer
I don´t think people are leaving because of some increasing sensitivity among the posters, that´s nothing new. But if you´ve been around for some ten years, almost every thread feels like a repeat.
A bit like setlists, then.. :-)

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: April 3, 2019 18:36

GJV
Green Lady
Still here, watching new people having the old arguments - don't often feel I have anything new worth saying.

For me most of the time if I say something nobody responds, if later somebody, who is one of the IORR innercrowd guys, is saying the same thing on the next page and people react like he is saying "the best thing ever told", and if that happens more than once the same day or week: yeah! That's very frustrating and than I just read and don't post for weeks/months. This happens here all the time.

This.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2019 19:13

I think what Noughties, perhaps, is referring to is the fact that a handful of new names have been more active in posting here.
That may be a fact. But if we didn't have "newbees" the forum would, more or less, die out over time.
And why should someone stop posting because of "newbees" arriving?

Date: April 3, 2019 19:23

You're right GJV - there is, kind of, a pecking order here. Like everywhere else in life. But, the best thing is to ignore it. It's nothing important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-04 00:34 by Stoneage.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 3, 2019 19:38

keithsman
GJV
Green Lady

who is one of the IORR innercrowd guys

but not in with the in crowd

been in the inner crowd is that like a superfan whose been to something like 300 Stones concerts... smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2019 19:40

"Fresh blood is always welcome". - Dracula

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 3, 2019 19:41

Come back in 10 years. The Stones will have retired, many of the fans who saw them at Hyde Park or in 1972 will be in retirement or rocking in the next world and younger people will assess the band and their catalog in new ways. It's already happening to many acts/bands from the 1960s and 1970s and will pick up speed in coming years.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 3, 2019 19:46

Hairball
"Fresh blood is always welcome". - Dracula

grinning smiley

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: April 3, 2019 20:13

wonderboy
Come back in 10 years. The Stones will have retired, many of the fans who saw them at Hyde Park or in 1972 will be in retirement or rocking in the next world and younger people will assess the band and their catalog in new ways. It's already happening to many acts/bands from the 1960s and 1970s and will pick up speed in coming years.

I wonder will BV keep this board running after the Stones finally do retire? Will a new generation have a chance to come here and bicker back and forth?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 4, 2019 00:04

Stoneage
You're right GJV - there is, kind of, a hacking order here. Like everywhere else in life. But, the best thing is to ignore it. It's nothing important.

At least I got a couple of responses in this topic!winking smiley

Date: April 4, 2019 00:39

That's right, GJV. No use posting messages in a void. By the way, it's pecking order in English, not hacking order.
Think in Swedish and write in English and there you go... (The phrase is hackordning in Swedish...)

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 4, 2019 01:24

GJV
Green Lady
Still here, watching new people having the old arguments - don't often feel I have anything new worth saying.

For me most of the time if I say something nobody responds, if later somebody, who is one of the IORR innercrowd guys, is saying the same thing on the next page and people react like he is saying "the best thing ever told", and if that happens more than once the same day or week: yeah! That's very frustrating and than I just read and don't post for weeks/months. This happens here all the time.

I've always felt that way on here. I don't expect to get into discussions now but do read most of the time. Amidst all the arguments and 'fake news' there are still things to learn and the tour reports make it all worth while.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 4, 2019 01:33

What you are all describing is a natural progression that I've seen in every online musical community I belong to. New people join, they ask questions the veterans already know the answers to, the veterans feel like every thread is a repeat . . . then new stuff happens, the veterans get drawn back in again, and the wheel rolls on. It's completely normal.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 4, 2019 04:12

The millennials are ruining this too maybe?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2019 04:22

J.J.Flash
The millennials are ruining this too maybe?
Nah.
They seem cool.

It's the aging entitled boomers that clog up the threads with their near non-stop harsh judgements of the band, whining, and negativity on nearly every thread.
Cantankerous bunch cool smiley

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 4, 2019 04:38

true dat!lol

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 4, 2019 18:16

HomerSimpson
I wonder will BV keep this board running after the Stones finally do retire? Will a new generation have a chance to come here and bicker back and forth?
If BV shuts this place down there is always the Stones subreddit page. Reddit is very popular.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 4, 2019 22:51

alieb
Also this feels like an appropriate place to mention this:
I don’t know if any of you remember brokecollegestudent, she left IORR a while before I stopped posting and joined EOMS, and then stopped posting there too... but I went to visit her in October in Ohio and we have each other on social media and are basically best friends (she is 24 I am 23)

So thank you BV for giving me a lifelong friendship!

Yeah i stayed in contact with Autumn for a while after getting to know her in the other place, so pleased she's OK.
Say hello to her for me thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 01:41 by keithsman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 5, 2019 09:45

keithsman
J.J.Flash
me and stonestod and cindy c and stonesprincess are here

Had a feeling StonesTod was hiding somewhere still sticking the boot into me lol.
Explains a lot.

Well, if you've got the feeling that bloodhounds and watchdogs are at your feet, you'd better seek some professional help.

Meanwhile, some self-criticism and restraint could also be helpful:

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 09:45 by retired_dog.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 5, 2019 09:50

Rockman
with Shidoobee not what it use ta be and Drakes site
closing its door then IORR is sure to get a few immigrants ….

Shidoobee has become largely a Facebook-based fan club.

plexi

Date: April 5, 2019 10:16

retired_dog
keithsman
J.J.Flash

Had a feeling StonesTod was hiding somewhere still sticking the boot into me lol.
Explains a lot.

Well, if you've got the feeling that bloodhounds and watchdogs are at your feet, you'd better seek some professional help.

Meanwhile, some self-criticism and restraint could also be helpful:

[iorr.org]

This feels like being stalked, can you back off please.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 5, 2019 13:46

Those of us who spend a lot of time hanging around here must be just a little a bit strange.

Some of us perhaps not so strange as we fear we are ...with others far more strange , and some "mad as a fish" ! grinning smiley

Date: April 5, 2019 14:43

Spud
Those of us who spend a lot of time hanging around here must be just a little a bit strange.

Some of us perhaps not so strange as we fear we are ...with others far more strange , and some "mad as a fish" ! grinning smiley

I fear i fall into the mad as fish category winking smiley, but the ones i worry about are the strange ones that don't realize they are, those are the scary ones, that Harlem guy, what you see is what you get with me Spud, if i ever meet any of you at a gig i'll buy you a pint and i don't want one back, that's me, but damn it people on here have trouble with you if you don't agree with them, i just don't get that. It's like saying i don't want anything to do with someone who voted remain, or i can't stand someone who doesn't think the sun shines out of Ronnie Woods arse, kind of narrows the perspective. Lot's of people on here think Keith sucks in many ways, but i don't stalk them or single them out and gang up on them, call them crazy for not seeing things my way, it just is what it is, the Stones are legends, incredible geniuses but they have flaws, one don't go without the other.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 5, 2019 14:53

I think we also fall into categories in another sense too.

Most of us, I believe, visit these pages with a real interest in what other folks think....

..whilst a few visit primarily to impose their own thoughts and views on others.

And It's usually quite easy to tell one type from the other .winking smiley

Date: April 5, 2019 15:50

keithsman
J.J.Flash

Explains a lot.

Didn't know he was still here; that is good. Whatever name you're under, StonesTod I am still in your debt for screwing my head on right about "1234", Ronnie's album that had hit the lower end of my charts for a while.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2019 15:52

Spud
I think we also fall into categories in another sense too.

Most of us, I believe, visit these pages with a real interest in what other folks think....

..whilst a few visit primarily to impose their own thoughts and views on others.

And It's usually quite easy to tell one type from the other .winking smiley

Not everyone of the said latter category do impose their own thoughts on others though. Instead they make it our privilege to share those thoughts if we want to. And they may love to meet differing points of view, because it stimulates them to think further.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home