Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm getting seriously ashamed being a Stones fan......
Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: April 1, 2019 13:52

I have wasted my time this week-end reading all the whining and absurdities after the tour postponement, on several sites and this is how I feel.

# I'm an average Stones fan, 150 + concerts, first one was Brussels Affair when I was 13 years old, seen them everywhere.
# I got cancelled in Poland after Keith felt of his coconut tree, in Australia after Mick's girl friend committed suicide. I got an emergency landing in Winnipeg on my way to see them in Las Vegas some years ago.
# I also had ski with no snow, summer holidays under the rain and a Brian Seltzer Orchestra concert in Brussels aborted after 5 minutes because the guy lost his voice. Shit happens....
# The Stones are about music, politics, society, culture, life and death..... But in the last few days, every guy with a ticket became a doctor knowing all there is to know about absolutely everything medical, from Laryngitis to broken knees.
# Speculation about Mick's health became very serious affair, with like 2000 people knowing exactly from "a strong source in the Stones entourage" what it was about. And of course each of them has a different theory.....
# The average Stones fan speculating on Mick health is is not only wasting your time, he is very prompt to being rude in case you ask about the usefulness of all that garbage talk. I was just expelled from the Keith Richard Group on Facebook because I made fun about a post on Mick's laryngitis (from a reliable source....) with 109 comments right before they blacklisted me.....

Gosh....

Can we talk about music?

" Thief in the night" is my absolute favorite Keith's song, what do you guys think?

[www.lesoir.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-02 22:39 by Grichka.

Re: I'm getting seriously ashamed being a Stones fan......
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 1, 2019 13:54

Well said and thank you.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 1, 2019 14:02

The Stones have never been just about music.
They are Entertainers, Show Biz, Personalities.
A never ending soap opera.

If you are looking for something else...maybe the Mark Knofler fan site....or delve into classical or jazz music.Or just focus on Mr C Watts.

Date: April 1, 2019 14:07

jlowe

If you are looking for something else...maybe the Mark Knofler fan site....or delve into classical or jazz music.Or just focus on Mr C Watts.

Yes I exactly said that they are not just about music, loud and clear in my message.

I also listen to classical or Jazz, what's wrong with that? Or with Charlie?

[www.lesoir.be]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 1, 2019 14:14

Grichka
jlowe

Yes I exactly said that they are not just about music, loud and clear in my message.

Nothing wrong with that. I do too!
What I am saying is The Stones and its fan sites inevitably end up as gossipy and drift away from the music.
They have kept the tabloids busy over the years, that's for sure.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 1, 2019 14:17

...or Mark Knopfler ! grinning smiley

But seriously...whenever there's all this "secret squirrel" stuff around any health issue , it has folks speculating from the beginning of the medical dictionary to the freekin' end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 14:20 by Spud.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: April 1, 2019 15:48

@Grichka One of the great ironies is that Stones fans, with scattered worthwhile exceptions that are only found by fortuitous accident and rarely by approaching any Internet watering holes, can easily be mistaken for any given Rosary Society meeting, fire house rummage sale or Monty Python skit ("Cooee, Jean Paul!!") A bunch of old gossips who haven't anything to do but indulge in Sun-level trash talking and trash thinking -- who'da thunk it, back in the day, when fighting against this kind of cheap and detrimental behavior was supposed to be part of the cultural revolution (note small case used there.) Same garbage happened when L'Wrenn died. Outrageous, embarrassing and infuritating. It's a general dumbing down of the populace, a callousness and ignorance, that gave us UKIP and Brexit, that gave us Trump. We were supposed to know better. Wait for your laugh.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 1, 2019 15:54

They`re celebreties.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:20

Grichka

[...]
Can we talk about music?

" Thief in the night" is my absolute favorite Keith's song, what do you guys think?

Yes, most speculations about the Stones are ridiculous. But let's face it, since 1982 they haven't really produced much music to talk about (with some exceptions, like for instance, as you correctly point, out "Thief In The Night") and in any case, about good music there is not much you can say apart from listening to it.
One can have discussions about which is better "Let It Bleed" or "Exile" or which is Keith's best song ("Thief" is very good, but I think "Hate It When You Leave" is even better) which is fun, but since "Tattoo You" their albums have been mediocre, so we can only talk about nonsense like Mick's throat, or who is the biggest Keithette, or if Brian would have played the trumpet do you think "Paint It, Black" (and why the comma?) would have sounded better?
Don't take it too seriously, is my advice. It's only internet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:41

at 150+ shows, you are hardly the 'average' stones fan.

having said that, don't take all this stuff so seriously. people speculating about MJ's health are simply doing what one might do in an conversation, and yes sometimes too gossipy and in poor taste.

that's the downside to the forum...to be taken into consideration when balancing with all the great upsides.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:44

get well MJ; best wishes; springin' good energy all the way there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-02 00:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:46

You're not an average Stones fan when you have been to more than 150 concerts. I would say you're in the super-fan category...

Oops! Sorry Treacle, I was only second to this notion. Noted...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 16:49 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:54

90% of what goes on this site is mostly BS, unmeasured and unfiltered. Maybe 95%.

Start a thread, "favorite Keith song" and see what happens......(please don't lol)

Date: April 1, 2019 18:13

Maindefender
90% of what goes on this site is mostly BS, unmeasured and unfiltered. Maybe 95%.

Start a thread, "favorite Keith song" and see what happens......(please don't lol)

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!! I wont start that thread for sure.

[www.lesoir.be]

Date: April 1, 2019 18:14

treaclefingers

Yes that's what I thought and then I met BV..... :-)
And many others...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 1, 2019 18:28

Well nobody is forcing you to do anything so if this is not for you please don't waste your time and go pursue more positive endeavors that make you happy

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2019 18:34

Maindefender

But but... there is nothing wrong with "favourite Keith song" thread, and there is no need for any speculation, since the only authority which matters is people's own idiosyncratic taste. Usually the problem starts, and the road for useless speculation is open, when people start using personal taste as a way of judging factual matters. But the nature of opinions based on interpreting factual matters and those stemming out of personal taste are categorically different, while the very term 'opinion' covers both.

For example, let us imagine a following thought experiment in the form of a argument (to see the logical inconsistancy in flesh):

(1) Within a ten years time, as a writer Mick Jagger has released bonus material to deluxe editions of their classical albums, SUPERHEAVY, plus a couple of Stones and solo tracks.
(2) Within the same amount of time Keith Richards has released about the same amount of original songs (though, some of them deriving from years earlier)
(3) I don't like any of those Jagger releases, actually I loathe about all of them. What has happened to him?
(4) I love CROSSYEYD HEART! Superb stuff, as good as his other solo albums if not even better, not even far from the greatness of EXILE.
-----
Conclusion: Mick Jagger has a writer's block, but Keith Richards has not.

And from this we can draw, for example, some interesting consequences, such as having an explanation why The Rolling Stones have supposed difficulties in finishing their new album ('half of the Glimmer Twins having a writer's block; Mick cannot provide his own songs good enough for the Stones, as we can seen from the base of his solo single, nor he is able to finish Keith's gems, which, as we can assume from the base of CH, are are great as ever'), etc.

But it could be all of that funny 'logic' is based on non-written presupposition that 'I don't like Mick Jagger per se, but I adore Keith Richards'...

All of this is, of course, totally hypothetical..grinning smiley

But what goes for the original post of this thread, I share the sentiments there. But as far as speculation goes, there is nothing wrong there in principle, quite the opposite (I love speculation!). But the question remains which are kind of factual matters of which we supposed to have some educated guesses, theories, justified beliefs, opinions etc. about. I suppose it is the good old common sense, with a certain ethical concern, that should be applied there in determining the adequate realm. And what is the factual base that makes it worth eloborating the case further (to provide, say, some reasonable speculative theories). That of guessing people's health, with minimal facts available, most probably is not. And having facts or not, is it really necessary in a principle to go guessing those kind of things, no matter how curious we are by nature and how much we feel that the private matters of a public animal like Mick Jagger 'belong naturally to all of us'. To me the last point was an open issue with no determinate answer.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 18:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 1, 2019 18:36

Grichka
treaclefingers

Yes that's what I thought and then I met BV..... :-)
And many others...

You are a superfan Gricha. I am so glad I have met you and your family several times on tour. Also I do agree totally with what you are saying. We sacrify a lot to see the Stones. Still, when Mick is not ready then we have to wait.

We all know he was on stage when Gabriel his son was born in 1997. Mick is loyal to the fans. He don't just cancel shows for the sake of convenience.

When I was with four other fans out there in the rain during the rehearsals in Paris 2012, after everyone else including Keith had left, Mick the last one leaving asked the drived to stop his car, rolled down the window, waited for us to ask for an autograph, but we were all just fans with no autograph hunting skills, so he smiled to us and said "Have a nice week-end".

It was a Friday night so then I knew I could fly home and see my family for the week-end next morning, then I was back on Monday. If Mick can't tour then he can't. We all hope he will be fit for touring soon, and that they will play their best shows ever.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 1, 2019 19:13

Whoc ares. Obviously people are going to speculate and it hurts nothing and nobody.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 1, 2019 20:19

Grichka

# The average Stones fan speculating on Mick health is is not only wasting your time, he is very prompt to being rude

I didn't read all of what was said about Mick's health on any site. I just read this thread about being a Stones fan.

I think it's rude to speculate on someone's health, especially publicly.

I'm just glad Mick was seen having dinner and on the beach in Miami last week. I love Mick Jagger in a fan sort of way. I admire him and love his work.

I didn't focus on hardships with the postponement of the tour but I din't think much about it. I thought, "I hope Mick is doing well. I hope he'll be just fine."

Most people are self-centered and it's a shame.

Favorite Keith songs in order

Happy
Before They Make Me Run
Coming Down Again
Sure the One You Need
Locked Away
Take It So Hard
Harder They Come
Run Rudolph Run
Dripin' From Your Lips (LOL!)

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 1, 2019 20:37

Grichka
jlowe

Wait...what's wrong with Charlie?? Is the cancer back? Is he back on the dope? Break his hand??? Come onnnn. Obsessed fans gotta know!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 1, 2019 21:46

Grichka
I have wasted my time this week-end reading all the whining and absurdities after the tour postponement, on several sites and this is how I feel.

# I'm an average Stones fan, 150 + concerts, first one was Brussels Affair wh...

Can we talk about music?

First of all - you saw Brussels? Man. You are the luckiest man.
Also - Thief in the Night is awesome. I love it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 1, 2019 23:04

Doxa
Maindefender

But but... there is nothing wrong with "favourite Keith song" thread, and there is no need for any speculation, since the only authority which matters is people's own idiosyncratic taste. Usually the problem starts, and the road for useless speculation is open, when people start using personal taste as a way of judging factual matters. But the nature of opinions based on interpreting factual matters and those stemming out of personal taste are categorically different, while the very term 'opinion' covers both.

For example, let us imagine a following thought experiment in the form of a argument (to see the logical inconsistancy in flesh):

(1) Within a ten years time, as a writer Mick Jagger has released bonus material to deluxe editions of their classical albums, SUPERHEAVY, plus a couple of Stones and solo tracks.
(2) Within the same amount of time Keith Richards has released about the same amount of original songs (though, some of them deriving from years earlier)
(3) I don't like any of those Jagger releases, actually I loathe about all of them. What has happened to him?
(4) I love CROSSYEYD HEART! Superb stuff, as good as his other solo albums if not even better, not even far from the greatness of EXILE.
-----

And from this we can draw, for example, some interesting consequences, such as having an explanation why The Rolling Stones have supposed difficulties in finishing their new album ('half of the Glimmer Twins having a writer's block; Mick cannot provide his own songs good enough for the Stones, as we can seen from the base of his solo single, nor he is able to finish Keith's gems, which, as we can assume from the base of CH, are are great as ever'), etc.

But it could be all of that funny 'logic' is based on non-written presupposition that 'I don't like Mick Jagger per se, but I adore Keith Richards'...

But what goes for the original post of this thread, I share the sentiments there. But as far as speculation goes, there is nothing wrong there in principle, quite the opposite (I love speculation!). But the question remains which are kind of factual matters of which we supposed to have some educated guesses, theories, justified beliefs, opinions etc. about. I suppose it is the good old common sense, with a certain ethical concern, that should be applied there in determining the adequate realm. And what is the factual base that makes it worth eloborating the case further (to provide, say, some reasonable speculative theories). That of guessing people's health, with minimal facts available, most probably is not. And having facts or not, is it really necessary in a principle to go guessing those kind of things, no matter how curious we are by nature and how much we feel that the private matters of a public animal like Mick Jagger 'belong naturally to all of us'. To me the last point was an open issue with no determinate answer.

- Doxa

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: April 2, 2019 00:10

50 % of this fans on this site is anti Jagger.And has been like this some years now.No need to name this people,just read lots of comments about him

Date: April 2, 2019 01:48

Doxa
Maindefender

But but... there is nothing wrong with "favourite Keith song" thread, and there is no need for any speculation, since the only authority which matters is people's own idiosyncratic taste. Usually the problem starts, and the road for useless speculation is open, when people start using personal taste as a way of judging factual matters. But the nature of opinions based on interpreting factual matters and those stemming out of personal taste are categorically different, while the very term 'opinion' covers both.at least that's no rocket science

-----

- Doxa

What fascinates me most it that there's no musical (academical) explanation why the Stones sound good or bad (for that matter).. Actually that's the only Rolling Stones related philosophic /musical issue that really matters to me. Sorry if this sounds a bit snobby. Factual matters are related to statistics, historical events like record sales, health-matters or drug-busts etc, Factual matters have nothing to do with the 'academical quality' of the music, if it's relevant anyway. So we are doomed to stick to our opinions and individual tastes that makes us buy records and tickets and merchandise. It is all about ventilating opinions about songs, band-members and musical tastes or issues like "Why cannot they deliver an album" .Things that in its essence are completely uninteresting unless you're a fan enjoying their music and even wonder why they still manage to fill stadiums. Things that make people happy. It must be their designer sloppiness.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 2, 2019 02:06

Grichka
jlowe

Grichka,I was gonna tell you that you were overreacting.that is until I went back on the tour thread to do a mea culpa for my own way off assessment of Micks situation.
There I found “Fans” making jokes about “heart of stone” “ heartbreaker” etc as well as our own village idiot surmising that Mick damaged his heart taking steroids.
An embarrassment is a fair way of putting it-lesson learned.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2019 02:25

-------------->>>>>> [www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 2, 2019 04:43

Worth noting that we were served notice in 1964

The Rolling Stones are much more than a group, they are a way of life.

-----Andrew Loog Oldham

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: April 2, 2019 04:51

en Argentina pasa exactamente lo mismo! ""Fanacitos"" que se creen que porque han viajado, han obtenidos, verlos en vivo, pases VIP`s, o lp´s, cds cassettes, posters, ediciones limitadas. Se creen con el derecho de opina, ser Médicos, Especialistas!! verdaderos Patéticos que corren detrás de una noticia No oficial!

Date: April 2, 2019 04:54

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
Maindefender

- Doxa

What fascinates me most it that there's no musical (academical) explanation why the Stones sound good or bad (for that matter).. Actually that's the only Rolling Stones related philosophic /musical issue that really matters to me. Sorry if this sounds a bit snobby. Factual matters are related to statistics, historical events like record sales, health-matters or drug-busts etc, Factual matters have nothing to do with the 'academical quality' of the music, if it's relevant anyway. So we are doomed to stick to our opinions and individual tastes that makes us buy records and tickets and merchandise. It is all about ventilating opinions about songs, band-members and musical tastes or issues like "Why cannot they deliver an album" .Things that in its essence are completely uninteresting unless you're a fan enjoying their music and even wonder why they still manage to fill stadiums. Things that make people happy. It must be their designer sloppiness.

Exactly right. Yesterday I was playing ya ya on LP, remembering that was the very first record I heard in my life. And 50 years later it still sound so perfectly imperfect, the guts, the energy, the absolute coordination, the atmosphere, the spirit of this year, the fascinated crowd, GOSH!!! How can it be that I still have the same pleasure and excitement listening to that after 50 years!!!
And I still discover details I did not notice before, especially when played on a top system.
This is just magic.

[www.lesoir.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-02 06:13 by Grichka.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home