Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Takamine - hardest working guitar in music
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 1, 2019 03:45

Nice read about Takamine. Makes me wanna check out their guitars and compare to a Martin. It's probably been discussed, but do any of the Stones play Takamines?

[www.musicradar.com]

Re: OT: Takamine - hardest working guitar in music
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 1, 2019 05:32

[www.sweetwater.com]

nope. but this one sound pretty warm and is impressive at this price point.
i haven't checked the rest of their stock but think that's a beautiful article and appreciate you linking it.
i've a Taylor Big Baby for everyday use; I've had it for about ten years;
and
a guitar with mahogany and spruce for recording and shows but not a pricey one;
a real playable one though. I haven't bought guitars from this company but
have some electronics over the years and found them very knowing and easy to
reach.

This Takamini sounds incredibly warm; I like their links;
they try to be accurate with the miking; i guess if you have
decent monitors (including phones) that you're rely upon, it could
be pretty informative.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 1, 2019 07:42

I have a Mahogany Takamine & I love it...full bodied sound, great to play Stones songs on! Easy to play, great action. You're right, they exceed expectations, especially at the price!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 1, 2019 09:46

I have Takamine dreadnought [non electro] that I've owned from new in 1985.
It will certainly see me out.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2019 16:22

Jagger played a Takamine on the 89/90 and 1994 tours.

Mathijs

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 1, 2019 18:04

I'd put Yamaha up there with Takamine... great utilitarian guitars.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 2, 2019 07:51

Used to use Takamines in the late 90/early 2000s. The ones I had were good and the best acoustic with a pickup but they have been overtaken by other companies. They are all made in the Japan but some of there ranges are just a bit ok these days. In the UK I don't think the high end stuff is imported. Personally I go for Taylor when i need a an acoustic. Even there lower end stuff is so well done. Having said that even cheaper guitars are pretty decent these days!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 2, 2019 12:46

mr_c_ox
Used to use Takamines in the late 90/early 2000s. The ones I had were good and the best acoustic with a pickup but they have been overtaken by other companies. They are all made in the Japan but some of there ranges are just a bit ok these days. In the UK I don't think the high end stuff is imported. Personally I go for Taylor when i need a an acoustic. Even there lower end stuff is so well done. Having said that even cheaper guitars are pretty decent these days!

thumbs up
The really expensive hand-made in Japan Takamines are great, but most guitars you can buy in Europe are just factory-made and are rather average IMHO. I had one for years. They are still good guitars for the money thou. But nothing really speicial in my opinion.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: April 2, 2019 13:05

I have a Martin D28 myself. Incredible sound. 4 months old and gets better and better every day

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 2, 2019 17:30

4 months old ?

That one's got an awful lot of growing up to do .

Enjoy .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 2, 2019 17:36

Spud
4 months old ?

Enjoy .

And you can speed-up the process by resting your guitar near the speaker of your stereo. Each time you'll listen to music on your stereo the guitar will age/ripe like a good wine... thumbs up

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: April 2, 2019 21:34

dcba
Spud
4 months old ?

Enjoy .

And you can speed-up the process by resting your guitar near the speaker of your stereo. Each time you'll listen to music on your stereo the guitar will age/ripe like a good wine... thumbs up

It has grown a lot those four months and feels better every time I play it. I wanted the newer model necause of the slighly wider neck.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 2, 2019 22:01

Got my acoustic Takamine about 30 years ago - still love it!!!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 2, 2019 23:09

mr_c_ox

Cheap guitars can be good, though I'm not sure about really cheap acoustics. I bought a single-pickup fake Fender from Target several years ago for $99 (including tiny practice amp) and it still stays in tune, which is usually the tricky part on cheap guitars. It helps, though, that it has screws as well as glue holding it together. Acoustics tend to be all glue and that's where cheap ones fail after a few years.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 2, 2019 23:38

mr_c_ox

Cheap guitars can be good, though I'm not sure about really cheap acoustics. I bought a single-pickup fake Fender from Target several years ago for $99 (including tiny practice amp) and it still stays in tune, which is usually the tricky part on cheap guitars. It helps, though, that it has screws as well as glue holding it together. Acoustics tend to be all glue and that's where cheap ones fail after a few years.

The glue tends to be ok, I still trade cheap acoustics from the 50s and 60s which are fine. The lower end these days tend to be more playable as they are fret dressed properly and properly intonated so they can be set up properly. Even 10 years ago cheap guitars suffered from rushed production which made this difficult.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home