Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones Movie - How would you do it
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 31, 2019 12:00

There's a potential Stones movie out there, it's just how would you do it, as a Film Maker i'd look at something like this, pick an era, so first up i'd suggest would be.

Formation 1962 to S.T.P. 1972, so you get the initial explosion, Swinging 60's the Death of Brian, 69 U.S. Tour with Altamont at the centre, then into Sticky, and then odyssey of Exile, resulting in the triumphant tour. (Subplots, Keiths descent into Addiction, Mick into Society) a nice 2 hr Movie.

Then if successful a 2nd piece, Starting at the Toronto Bust, 81 Tour,Breakdown of the two, Solo, Live Aid etc, then into the reformation of 89...end's. Anything after is a corporation, not really Rock 'N Roll.

Could be a nice set of films, most of the players would be fairly easy to cast, it's just Jagger, a unique look as we know, i'm not aware of a name actor who resembles the man, so it may have to be fresh casting, which would be a big risk.

Rami Malek had a background whilst not widely known was known as with Taron Edgerton whose just shot "Rocket Man"

Re: Rolling Stones Movie - How would you do it
Date: March 31, 2019 12:33

I'm panic everytime this item arises. A film.....

No film is able to convey what this band has been able to make feel to their audience, let alone their lives themselves...

Spilberg could recreate Normandy landings...

Who is able to recreate a stones concert????

Come on...

By the way ...we have videos....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-31 12:37 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 31, 2019 12:46

I'd stick to the early years, 1962-65, from formation to "Satisfaction." Concentrate on the changing dynamic of the Jagger-Richards-Jones relationship.

Date: March 31, 2019 13:47

emotionalbarbecue

No film is able to convey what this band has been able to make feel to their audience, let alone their lives themselves...

Come on...

No Stones Flick comes near the Landings Son, (Yes i'll use that perjorative until a better one comes along)

Date: March 31, 2019 13:53

tatters
I'd stick to the early years, 1962-65, from formation to "Satisfaction." Concentrate on the changing dynamic of the Jagger-Richards-Jones relationship.

That in itself could be a great flick. but would it leave you wanting for more?. i'd leave them sated. Just me, I love the discussion, it all leaves a track for the future

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 31, 2019 14:10

What the movie probably would look like:
The Stones meet each other, they form the band, get more and more succes, going to The States, recording Satisfaction, more succes, Brian's death, Altamont and sex, drugs and rock'n'roll in the seventies, Mick and Keith's WW III and how they become "best friends" again and the band will live happy after (and forever).

Oh! Don't count Stuart is in it and Wyman, Watts and Wood will be only in it as secondary characters and they probably skip Taylor completely, because "people who are watching this movie will not understand and get confused if there is more than one successor for Jones"!

We fans will shout: "That's not how it realy went!" and we all gonna hate it.

Simplistic? Yeah, but that's what they did with the Queen movie and it even got an Oscar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-31 14:49 by GJV.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 31, 2019 16:13

I'd begin in 1962 and end it at Exile.

But if it were an individual bio of Mick or Keith, I'd take it right up to the present - richer than god, surrounded by huge loving families, still performing at nearly 80.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 31, 2019 16:25

I would have to wait until the final chapter has been written so to speak.

A movie, if it ever happened, would have to include their entire story, start to finish. Unlike some of the music biopics, they are still adding to their legacy.

If it was ever done, it couldn't fit the traditional couple hour time frame, I think it would have to be done more like the Godfather movies.. (well 1 & 2 anyway) where they film a lot of it at the same time, but focus on earlier times and later times, with different actors etc. for the different times.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 31, 2019 16:53

MisterDDDD
I would have to wait until the final chapter has been written so to speak.

A movie, if it ever happened, would have to include their entire story, start to finish. Unlike some of the music biopics, they are still adding to their legacy.

Their career is too long for it to be the subject of a dramatic film. Even their own documentary film, Crossfire Hurricane, pretty much ends after 1972, with the events of the last 45 years compressed into the space of a few minutes. Dramatically speaking, the arc of their story reaches its apex at Altamont. Everything after that is just the Rolling Stones history .... but its not the Rolling Stones being a part of history.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 01:16 by tatters.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 31, 2019 22:52

Tell the story of the period between 1965 and 1969 when they invented themselves through the experiences of Anita Pallenberg.
She meets them in 1965, has a relationship with Brian Jones, becomes friends with Keith, probably dallies with Mick, switches to Keith.
During this Keith metaphormphizes from shy boy to rock and roll pirate icon.
A movie has to dial down to just one particular story; otherwise it's an unweldy documentary.
This story would have strong personalities, character development and encompass many of the Stones top dramatic moments -- the Sympathy recording, the drug trials, the trip to Morocco, the firing of Brian ... probably could climax with the Hyde Park concert, which I don't think was a great show, but did set the template for the 50 years of shows that followed.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 31, 2019 23:46

going to be tough finding the actors to play a stones movie.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 1, 2019 00:03

I would hope a film about the Stones would cover many decades, not just focus on the 60's and the same old story, we all know the one about two lads getting on a train, i would love the film to reveal more from the 70's and 80's as well as the 60's.
Most of the books on the Stones have like one last chapter to cover 1978 up to today, such a pity.
But the story is still being told, and that's the part that thrills me most.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 1, 2019 00:04

I wouldn't do it at all.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2019 00:07

No need ... The real movie is still playing …
Watch it while you can …..

ROCKMAN

Date: April 1, 2019 00:14

Rockman

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 1, 2019 00:22

Rockman

Yes! Best reply of this topic!thumbs up

Date: April 1, 2019 00:33

keithsman
I would hope a film about the Stones would cover many decades, not just focus on the 60's and the same old story, we all know the one about two lads getting on a train, i would love the film to reveal more from the 70's and 80's as well as the 60's.
Most of the books on the Stones have like one last chapter to cover 1978 up to today, such a pity.

- World War 3 could be a movie. It has some drama and a story arc. Mick and Keith fall out, Mick and Keith fight, Dirty Work results, Mick and Keith compromise and get back together and create the modern stadium tour.
- Keith's head injury could be a story. Lots of drama, leading to a comeback. Probably would come across as a movie of the week, medical drama, though.
- Ronnie's story probably has the most personal growth, although it would probably come off as a movie of the week, recovery story.
- Maybe there is a story to come about Mick and/or Keith looking back with wisdom and regret about things that happened and maybe trying to go back and repair past events.

Date: April 1, 2019 00:49

wonderboy
keithsman

- World War 3 could be a movie. It has some drama and a story arc. Mick and Keith fall out, Mick and Keith fight, Dirty Work results, Mick and Keith compromise and get back together and create the modern stadium tour.
- Keith's head injury could be a story. Lots of drama, leading to a comeback. Probably would come across as a movie of the week, medical drama, though.
- Ronnie's story probably has the most personal growth, although it would probably come off as a movie of the week, recovery story.
- Maybe there is a story to come about Mick and/or Keith looking back with wisdom and regret about things that happened and maybe trying to go back and repair past events.

Yes that would be a great story, i think Keith still loves Mick very much, in his own way i think Mick loves Keith too. Maybe Keith has said to many hurtful things to Mick, things he probably didn't mean because he was drunk, but it's too late now, damage is done.

Date: April 1, 2019 00:54

keithsman
]

Yes that would be a great story, i think Keith still loves Mick very much, in his own way i think Mick loves Keith too. Maybe Keith has said to many hurtful things to Mick, things he probably didn't mean because he was drunk, but it's too late now, damage is done.

Now that's the movie! The 'Mick and Keith friendship' through the ages. All the ups and downs. If they ended the movie on an up note with the two of them harmonizing into a shared microphone, I would probably shed a tear.

Date: April 1, 2019 01:14

wonderboy
keithsman
]

Now that's the movie! The 'Mick and Keith friendship' through the ages. All the ups and downs. If they ended the movie on an up note with the two of them harmonizing into a shared microphone, I would probably shed a tear.

Yes to focus on their relationship would make a great story, a great film, after all they have been through and no matter how different they are as people, they still swallow their pride and go out on stage together as old men but united in force with that incredible weapon in their armory, that catalogue of songs they wrote together, its incredible really, sometimes on stage Keith still looks at Mick as if to say , wow that's my Mick out there, he seems proud of Mick and the Stones, like it's his band.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 1, 2019 07:25

[www.artforum.com]

The Anita Pallenberg Story movie.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 1, 2019 07:39

emotionalbarbecue

Come on...

thumbs up

runs the huge risk of inevitably being watered down.
i'd actually be more open to a theater piece where an
audience didn't have to be manipulated and catered to...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 16:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 1, 2019 08:44

Any such film that didn't start with Brian, and then Stu, would not be worth watching.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2019 08:57

It'd have ta start
at Dick Taylor's mum's house …..

Gonna be long movie … what did Gone With
The Wind clock in at ??? …. Four hours wasn't it ….?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 16, 2019 03:30

I believe that objectively the most dramatic film would tell the story from the beginning and end with Hyde Park, but the main problem is that such a film probably would paint Mick and Keith as the bad guys. I wouldn't want the Rolling Stones entire legacy to be reduced to the circumstances around Brian's departure. That wouldn't be right and ignores gigantic swaths of reasons the Stones have been popular for over half a century.

So, taking that into account, I think the next best idea would be to end the story in 1989 with the end of World War III.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: April 16, 2019 04:10

The movie would have to start with Mick and Keith being impressed with Brian playing slide guitar to Dust My Blues. That is the point in time that is the most pivital. "It's f@cking Elmore James." This is the start of the Rolling Stones. That first meeting of the three.

This would have to be close to three hours. No revisionist history. Just the truth. Yeah Mick, Keith and Andrew wouldn't be painted in a good light but should they be? Brian wouldn't either. They were never a normal band. It would have to end with Altamont. There is just to much to cram in three hours. I'm still waiting for a Beatles movie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 04:17 by ovalvox.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 16, 2019 14:15

The best biopics are often those which don't try and cram too much, timescale wise, into the 150 minutes or so of movie.
So, Redlands bust to Altamont would have enough drama to maintain interest to the non Stones fan.Which would be necessary to make it viable.
Otherwise it would have to be a TV series.. 7 parts or so for each decade.
But, for both scenarios, unless they got clearance to use original recordings,not sure it would be worth the effort.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 16, 2019 14:59

Crossfire Hurricane was great in my opinion. Only thing I would do different is add the rest of the story up to present day. Maybe it could be a 2 parter.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 16, 2019 16:29

tom hanks to play the stones pilot.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 16, 2019 17:50

frankotero
Crossfire Hurricane was great in my opinion. Only thing I would do different is add the rest of the story up to present day. Maybe it could be a 2 parter.

I would have loved "Crossfire Hurricane" if not for the total disregard of Ian Stewart. It's more than a little disheartening considering I know the band had final say as producers...so it's not like some unauthorized outside production. Beyond that, I thought it was very good for the archival footage and the structure of it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home