Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 116
Re: Tour Postponed : The Rolling Stones No Filter Summer Tour USA/Canada 2019
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2019 08:19

campxray
[www.forbes.com]

I'm not sure Mick will be ready by summer. It all depends. This article in Forbes explains the procedure Mick had done and what recovery entails. I also read another article about recovery from this procedure. It also says " Even though TAVRs have dramatically cut down recovery times, it is still a major procedure. Jagger will have a number of restrictions especially during the first one to three months. He will have to take medications to prevent blood clots from forming on his new valve. Doctors will have to check where the catheter was inserted to make sure that it doesn't start bleeding. He won't be able to drive or operate heavy machinery for the first four weeks. He will undergo physical therapy and have to slowly work his way back to doing his regular activities, which typically takes 6 to 10 weeks. Of course, recovery times can vary. But if all goes well, Jagger should be able to eventually make it back on stage, prancing around like the eight-time father and five-time grandfather and the Jumpin' Jack Flash that he is."

Very informative, thanks.

I had a feeling it was too soon for me to start speculating on rescheduled dates, etc., but after Mick tweeted post-op it sort of felt like all systems go, and I got swept up with the general enthusiasm.
Time to reel it back in until further notice, and continue to hope for the best for Mick!thumbs up

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 7, 2019 09:17

treaclefingers
Hairball
Don't know if this was already posted (apologies if so), but interesting article from Pollstar dated April 2nd prior to Mick's surgery.

New Stones Dates Should Be Confirmed In Next Few Weeks
12:20 PM, Tuesday, 4/02/2019
By: Don Muret / VenuesNow

Stones

Rescheduled dates for the Rolling Stones’ 2019 North American tour should be confirmed over the next few weeks, said Jeff Apregan, a consultant for the Gridiron Stadium Network. The group had six NFL member facilities on the original route.

“It was never a conversation about cancellation, it was always a conversation about postponement,” Apregan said. “The concern of course is weather as you get later in the year.”

The 17-show tour, originally set for April 20 through June 29, was postponed because of a medical condition concerning lead singer Mick Jagger, the band announced over the weekend. Some media outlets have reported Jagger will have heart valve surgery this week.

Tour promoter Concerts West, a division of AEG Presents, is reportedly rebooking dates starting in July. Future dates to replace bookings for New Orleans Jazzfest and Burl’s Creek Event Grounds, about 130 miles north of Toronto and Canada’s largest outdoor venue, are more uncertain at this point, according to multiple reports.

John Meglen, co-CEO of Concerts West, did not return emails for comment.

Twelve NFL stadiums were part of the original tour. The NFL preseason starts in early August, which leaves a much shorter window to reschedule dates before running into football season. At that point, it can be a tricky process to squeeze shows between games. Seven NFL stadiums on the original route, plus Rose Bowl Stadium, home of UCLA football, have natural grass fields, and rescheduling concerts after football season kicks off could be an issue for teams concerned with maintaining a high-quality playing surface.

The NFL typically releases its schedule in mid-April for preseason and regular-season games.

“With preseason starting in August, you kind of wonder about those things,” Apregan said.

“All those conversations are taking place and they’re working through it, but there are a lot of moving parts for sure,” he said. “It definitely gets challenging, but it’s not impossible. I have not been in these conversations, but there certainly have been tours that have gone beyond the start of the NFL season that have spilled into September and in some cases even October.”

The Gridiron Stadium Network, founded in 2005 to help NFL teams book more concerts in their buildings, has a major presence on the Stones’ “No Filter” tour. Apregan’s longtime relationship with Concerts West executives Meglen and Paul Gongaware helped secure dates for six network members. (At NRG Stadium in Houston, SMG and not the Texans took the lead for booking the Stones, he said).

TIAA Bank Field, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, was the first network member facility with an April 24 show. To be in a better position to get a Stones date, the Jaguars partnered with Concerts West to co-promote the concert. As a result, the NFL team is taking on more financial risk than teams and venues that sign more traditional concert rental agreements.

“We have not discussed dates and will follow Concerts West/AEG’s lead,” Chad Johnson, the team’s senior vice president of sales and service and chief content officer, said in an email sent last weekend.

Considering the tour was postponed about three weeks before the first show April 20 at Hard Rock Stadium in the Miami area, there are upfront expenses that can’t be recouped by teams, facilities and the promoter, such as meeting and preproduction costs, Apregan said. Those costs could reach seven figures, he said.

“The tour itself has all kinds of expenses, salaries of people and flights moving people all over the world,” Apregan said. “There’s a lot of work that’s already been done that they’ll have to sort of put a bookmark in there and spend that money all over again. Everyone’s affected from a financial standpoint, probably more on the promoter’s side.”

Other challenges for rescheduling a tour of this magnitude would be bringing back the army of in-demand tour personnel and making sure all equipment — sound, lights, staging and video — are available for the reconfigured run. Tougher to pin down (and recoup) are expenses related to countless hours logged in planning, coordinating, routing, scheduling on-sales, local logistics, merchandising and travel related to a Rolling Stones tour, which is rivaled by few tours in regard to the complexity of preparation.

In situations such as tour postponements or cancellations, artists, promoters and venues can buy event-related insurance for protection, said Paul Bassman, CEO of Ascend Insurance Brokerage, a company specializing in underwriting music festivals and arena tours.

Ascend Insurance Brokerage does not have ties to the Stones’ tour, Bassman said.

Cancellation insurance is common for major concert tours, he said. For the Stones, without knowing specific details, they’re most likely getting “very large” guarantees for individual shows regardless of attendance, and buying a policy gives them protection in case shows do not go on as scheduled, Bassman said.

Those policies typically cover 70% to 80% of the guarantees, he said.

Concerts West most likely bought its own insurance policy for protection, Bassman said.

“The thing about the Stones is these shows sell out almost immediately, so that’s not the biggest concern, but if they do have expenses to reschedule, the policy would cover those,” he said. “The buildings themselves may have a policy to cover their profits from parking, merchandise and concessions. I live in Dallas, and AT&T Stadium will take out a policy every so often when they have a large event.”

Five years ago, the Stones faced a similar situation over concert postponements. In 2014, the group rescheduled seven dates in Australia and New Zealand over the month of March after Jagger’s girlfriend, L’Wren Scott, committed suicide. In November of that year, at the same time the dates were rescheduled, the band settled a $13 million insurance claim after Jagger was advised by doctors not to perform for 30 days. The settlement reportedly ended a lawsuit that the band filed against insurers that initially refused to pay the claim over issues tied to Scott’s mental condition and the fact that Jagger wasn’t treated by a psychiatrist.

The Alliance for Lifetime Income is the exclusive sponsor of the Stones’ 2019 tour. The nonprofit, dedicated to educating Americans about retirement plans, includes insurance firms State Farm, Nationwide and Pacific Life among its financial supporters.

Thanks for this Hairball...interesting behind the scenes.

Yes, thanks for posting Eric. Lot of insight to be found.

plexi

Date: April 7, 2019 09:25

35love
steffialicia
dgodkin
why don't they wheel him out in a wheelchair with a nurse by his side at all times sad

No. I don't mean that. He is in wonderful shape but I'm just thinking these July thoughts may be a bit premature.

I volunteered first as the nurse.
I am leaving it up to Mick if and when he wants to return.
I just watched my Paris 2 2017 JJF opener video.
That man can shake his thing.

Yes, the best show I have ever seen of the 54 I have attended.

plexi

Date: April 7, 2019 09:42

Hairball
I see that Santa Clara has been mentioned as the possible last show if the tour resumes, but when I go on Ticketmaster and search Rolling Stones, this is the order I see with Seattle being last.

Glendale, AZ - State Farm Stadium
Pasadena, CA - Rose Bowl
East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium
East Rutherford, NJ - MetLife Stadium
Oro-Medonte, Canada - Burl’s Creek Event Grounds
Houston, TX - NRG Stadium
Jacksonville, FL - TIAA Bank Field
Landover, MD - FedExField
Miami, FL - Hard Rock Stadium
Philadelphia, PA - Lincoln Financial Field
Foxborough, MA - Gillette Stadium
Chicago, IL - Soldier Field
Chicago, IL - Soldier Field
Denver, CO - Broncos Stadium At Mile High
Santa Clara, CA - Levi's® Stadium
Seattle, WA - CenturyLink Field

If this holds true, I will be attending the first two for sure, as well as Santa Clara - have tickets for all three.
I was hoping to attend Chicago 2 as originally scheduled as my wife and I will already be there (for conferences, our anniversary, etc),
but there's a slim chance if any we'll be heading back anytime soon after June, and never did find reasonably priced tickets anyways - though I was checking daily.
That being said, Seattle is now on my wish list - whether it's the final show or second to last show doesn't matter - it's on the West coast!
Just a hop, skip, jump, and a reasonably short flight heading north - easy peasy!
And then there's always Colorado to ponder.........

But all my yearning to see the Stones again is secondary to the situation with Mick's recovery - if nothing is rescheduled then so be it.
I have a flood of memories of seeing the Stones numerous times throughout the last few decades, but would always like to add a few more!!!
T
GET WELL MICK!

Yes Eric, do attend Denver. My brother would like to meet the legend that is The Hairball.

plexi

Date: April 7, 2019 09:54

daspyknows
Hairball
For what it's worth, found the quote from bv regarding the billboard article:

bv
When Billboard is reporting the tour will be rescheduled to July and on, it is simply because they have inside info from the people who book venues. They are outside the band but inside that loop. They have an exact date but they will not tell because then they will blow their source. So to me this means The Stones have postponed the tour by three months, all dates are to be changed.

And the billboard article dated 4/1/19: Rolling Stones Rescheduled Tour Will Start in July

And a BBC article dated 4/2/19: Rolling Stones tour 'to resume in July'

While things may have changed since these were published, no doubt they are both way more trustworthy and reliable than the Daily Mail.
Until we hear from a notable source - not a tabloid - I think the rescheduled shows will go on as stated by the above sources, the band, promoters, etc.

This actually does not surprise me.one bit. NFL stadiums are not going to have a concert less than 4 or 5 days before a game in the event the field is damaged. Some venues i.e. Metlife are used by multiple teams, others are used by multiple sports Gillette Stadium. Mile High stadium etc. and others like Levi's Stadium need to be on the weekend due to a 10PM week day curfew. There have been shows that have fun late like U2 and lawyers from the city and 49ers getting rich.

Splitting the tour to 2019 and 2020 could work if the numbers pencil out but that is suspect since many costs will just double. We will know in a few weeks what is going to happen so no need stressing about it.

I want to stress out about it. It's fun!

plexi

Date: April 7, 2019 10:00

Hairball
campxray
[www.forbes.com]

I'm not sure Mick will be ready by summer. It all depends. This article in Forbes explains the procedure Mick had done and what recovery entails. I also read another article about recovery from this procedure. It also says " Even though TAVRs have dramatically cut down recovery times, it is still a major procedure. Jagger will have a number of restrictions especially during the first one to three months. He will have to take medications to prevent blood clots from forming on his new valve. Doctors will have to check where the catheter was inserted to make sure that it doesn't start bleeding. He won't be able to drive or operate heavy machinery for the first four weeks. He will undergo physical therapy and have to slowly work his way back to doing his regular activities, which typically takes 6 to 10 weeks. Of course, recovery times can vary. But if all goes well, Jagger should be able to eventually make it back on stage, prancing around like the eight-time father and five-time grandfather and the Jumpin' Jack Flash that he is."

I had a feeling it was too soon for me to start speculating on rescheduled dates, etc., but after Mick tweeted post-op it sort of felt like all systems go, and I got swept up with the general enthusiasm.
Time to reel it back in until further notice, and continue to hope for the best for Mick!thumbs up

Still, I would put some weight on what BV said. And this quote did say 6 to 10 weeks.

plexi

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 7, 2019 11:15

timbernardis

Still, I would put some weight on what BV said. And this quote did say 6 to 10 weeks.

10 weeks after the surgery would be 13-Jun-2019, so a Tour-Start in July would be possible.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 7, 2019 11:44

Rolling Stones fans will have to wait for up to a year to see the band live again after Sir Mick Jagger’s heart surgery because stadium venues are booked up.

The 75-year-old singer vowed to return within two months, but tour organisers now say it will take a year to rearrange slots at the 17 venues. Most of them are used during the American Football season, which starts in September and runs to February.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 7, 2019 12:25

spunky
Rolling Stones fans will have to wait for up to a year to see the band live again after Sir Mick Jagger’s heart surgery because stadium venues are booked up.

The 75-year-old singer vowed to return within two months, but tour organisers now say it will take a year to rearrange slots at the 17 venues. Most of them are used during the American Football season, which starts in September and runs to February.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Come to Europe. We are ready. Lots of free place to play.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 7, 2019 12:37

Yrah.another european tour would be nice.
Wont happeni think.
Jeroen

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 7, 2019 12:37

timbernardis
Hairball
campxray
[www.forbes.com]

plexi

I thought Bruce Lee was Karate and not medicine.... smileys with beer

Like BL says, I think we are to naive believing Mick Jagger already is fully fit and can practice, sing already now. He needs time to recover, doctors monitoring all is OK. They will not book stadium before they are certain MJ can be back on stage. No insurance company will go through two tour postponements just for the fun of it.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 7, 2019 12:40

35love
Chris Jagger weighs in:

After the shock news last week, The Rolling Stones had to cancel their US tour and his brother hopes that Mick will slow down, “touring is a pressure,” Chris said.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

That was what i was saying, Mick could have just gone down performing, he's just too old for that kind of fitness, something will give at that age, body's are not meant to move like that at 76, it's like adding brake horse power to a very old engine. I really think if he comes back he needs to slow it down, i get the impression Micks brother Chris wants him to stop touring altogether.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 7, 2019 12:50

The younger brother Chris Jagger, 71, said Mick is only here thanks to a routine check-up. He could have died if doctors hadn’t discovered his heart condition during a routine check-up.

[www.videomuzic.eu]

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: April 7, 2019 13:58

mtaylor
spunky

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Come to Europe. We are ready. Lots of free place to play.

Yes, please! Europe! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:02

Say it ain't so tour is canceled?

Date: April 7, 2019 14:05

What does the title of this post read like???thumbs up

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:20

@runrudolf some outlets are reporting it.that its gonna be canceled.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:42

ohmercy61

Well put it this way, it depends on a few things, i think postponed is just hedging bets just in case he recovers quickly. I held onto postponed tickets in 89' for the Urban Jungle tour, and didn't get to use them until the following year, so my Urban Jungle tickets turned out to be Steel Wheels tickets with a Steel Wheel show and stage set winking smiley
But remember this was for a cut finger not major heart surgery for heat valve disease.

So yes postponed depends on a few things

A. Mick getting back to full fitness this year ? it's highly unlikely Mick will push that hard that quickly to continue this year.
B. Mick gets back to full fitness but decided he doesn't want to continue touring.
C. Mick doesn't recover to a level that he feels is good enough to tour.
D. Mick decides it's too dangerous health wise to continue.
E. Someone else in the band becomes unable to tour for health reasons or personal reasons waiting for Mick to return to the stage.

David Bowie didn't fancy touring after he had heart artery stents put in, a minor surgery, heart disease effects different people differently, i know people that go round not doing anything because they are afraid to have a heart attack, it's a terrible thing on the mind, and Mick will have taken a huge blow to his ego and his confidence, he is only human.

I personally think the tour will continue next year same places similar times and dates, one can only be hopeful.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:57

Please finish the album with planned “after tour” schedule studio time and perform a tour this Fall/Winter

Date: April 7, 2019 15:08

ohmercy61
@runrudolf some outlets are reporting it.that its gonna be canceled.

which outlets??? did not know that, sorry.
Jeroen

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: April 7, 2019 16:14

I think Ozzy Osborne rescheduled his summer tour to 2020 due to illness, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stones did that. Same venues, same tickets, just pushed a year. Would probably be the easiest for everyone involved at this point (except those of us who have to wait an additional year to see them!).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2019 16:24

Maindefender
Please finish the album with planned “after tour” schedule studio time and perform a tour this Fall/Winter

I don't think they want to cancel the planned US tour, too much money involved, postponing can save a lot apparently, now I don't know if a ONE YEAR postponement would work...

In the meantime, YES, finish the album guys that's your chance.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 7, 2019 16:59

gotdablouse
Maindefender

I don't think they want to cancel the planned US tour, too much money involved, postponing can save a lot apparently, now I don't know if a ONE YEAR postponement would work...

In the meantime, YES, finish the album guys that's your chance.

A one year "postponement" works for the promoters. The mammoth interest they are making on the ticket money is helping to defray the costs. They can always cancel at a later date if necessary.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 7, 2019 17:00

Madcap
I think Ozzy Osborne rescheduled his summer tour to 2020 due to illness, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stones did that. Same venues, same tickets, just pushed a year. Would probably be the easiest for everyone involved at this point (except those of us who have to wait an additional year to see them!).

that’s what I Think they should do!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 7, 2019 17:01

keithsman

I held onto postponed tickets in 89' for the Urban Jungle tour, and didn't get to use them until the following year, so my Urban Jungle tickets turned out to be Steel Wheels tickets with a Steel Wheel show and stage set winking smiley

Keithsman, could you specify how that worked? You were able to chose another venue?

Date: April 7, 2019 17:04

Guess the tour will be pushed back till 2020. So, yeah finish the album!!!
Jeroen

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 7, 2019 17:44

The Joker
keithsman

I held onto postponed tickets in 89' for the Urban Jungle tour, and didn't get to use them until the following year, so my Urban Jungle tickets turned out to be Steel Wheels tickets with a Steel Wheel show and stage set winking smiley

Keithsman, could you specify how that worked? You were able to chose another venue?

I think he is mistaken/confused. The Urban Jungle tour of Europe was in 1990 and the cancelled London show for the cut finger got made up in August of 1990 instead of July 1990.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 7, 2019 17:58

ohmercy61

Who knows but I find it a little disgusting that they are still selling tickets on TM for these postponed shows. They could at least put the unsold tix on hold until new dates are confirmed.

Posted by: OneHourPhoto ()
Date: April 7, 2019 18:04

virgil
ohmercy61

Who knows but I find it a little disgusting that they are still selling tickets on TM for these postponed shows. They could at least put the unsold tix on hold until new dates are confirmed.
If TM is selling tickets then it is because The Stones Org has told them to keep selling. They don't do that without permission from the artist/promoter

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 7, 2019 18:27

OneHourPhoto
virgil
ohmercy61

If TM is selling tickets then it is because The Stones Org has told them to keep selling. They don't do that without permission from the artist/promoter

Meaning Stones tickets are high-end commodities... Unpolished gems... You have a ticket for a show... Be happy... When and where are pointless details... How can you bother?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 116

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home