Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tired, boring old editorial about the Stones
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: March 29, 2019 02:47

[www.newburyportnews.com]

Why are some writers so mean spirited? Is it jealousy? Bjornulf, your thoughts?

Re: Tired, boring old editorial about the Stones
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2019 02:58

….his mother-in-law probably wont
allow him to go to any of the latest shows ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 29, 2019 06:07

Regarding the writer of this news blurb, all I can say to them is "What a drag it is getting old."

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 29, 2019 06:56

dmay
Regarding the writer of this news blurb, all I can say to them is "What a drag it is getting old."

That’s kinda what I thought too while reading. I also thought if he’d been at the Coventry gig last summer he might have a different opinion. Contempt prior to investigation, as it weare..

Bluesmen fall over, they don’t stop.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 29, 2019 07:39

I’m not gonna read the article but tell me if I’m close-The Stones are too old and should hang it up,they’re far from their peak in (fill in the blank year)and are just doing it for money.
The irony of the band still having enough relevance for the writer to dedicate an entire story on them is completely lost on him/her.how’d I do?

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 29, 2019 08:54

I’ll get destroyed for this, but I wouldn’t spend any more money on them either.
I don’t think they should retire or shouldn’t be playing, but they’ve seen enough of my money over the years. Ticket prices are just too much..and they’re happy to stock up the bank accounts. Meet & Greet?? No thanks. In fact I didn’t even bother with the exhibition. Just can’t be bothered anymore.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 29, 2019 10:11

As long as Lucky Dip tickets exist, I can’t understand why price is an issue.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 29, 2019 10:44

In Europa I don't have access to the link, but I can guess what they say.
Some artists keep their artistic autenticity and (consequentially) credibility until the end. Some don't. Clearly, the Stones don't. Not anymore. They might have had it, and to some extent do have it, in their solo-efforts. But the albums and gigs they made together for the past 3 or 4 decades are only entertainment. Well done and executed, but without any artistic relevance.
Don't get me wrong, I went to quite a couple of their concerts in the past decades and I enjoyed it. I also went to MacDonalds and Burger King a couple of times in the past decades (probably just as often), but I wouldn't call them restaurants.
The difference is: Burger King never was a restaurant.
The Stones were the absolute best, without any competition, in creating a groovy blend of blues, soul, rock n roll and pop, which was dynamic, energetic, fresh and incredibly exciting. But that's the way things go. Even the sun will implode one day.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 29, 2019 10:50

don't think that Willie Mays has ever been tagged as "washed up" in an account of his career;
more often they write about his unique abilities as an athlete and public person. Glowingly.

I sort of understand in a way; i was miffed by the Vegas Stones for a long while,
but this anti-senior screed is as offensive as the anti-youth screeds promulgated
during the times when this writer was seeing them before '67,
and even previous to that; in the first few years of a recording career
that would somehow even eclipse the tremendous impact of the Decca/London years.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 29, 2019 10:55

matxil

In Europa I don't have access to the link

Simply use a US-Proxy like [KProxy.com] or [Hide.me] .

Here's the article:

"Giantonio's view: Stones at Gillette? Count me out

As I See It · Larry Giantonio · Mar 28, 2019

News flash! The Rolling Stones will play at Gillette Stadium this summer as part of their 55-year storied history.

Count me as one who will not mark on my calendar for this summer date. Please say it isn’t so! These scruffy seniors just don’t know when to quit and that is truly sad.

If they keep planning tours, the fans of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll band in the world might be seeing them come out on stage performing in rocking chairs. Mick Jagger will be 76 in July and his net worth is $350 million, so I know he doesn’t need the money. I would be embarrassed to see them this late in their careers and would absolutely not attend even I was given free tickets.

It can be said that it’s great to go out on top but apparently they won’t have any of it.

I first saw them in June 1965 at the old Boston Garden for a mere $3. I was a Stones addict, you might say, and although addict probably isn’t the right word to use, especially these days, I am sure that you all understand my point.

I saw them again in June 1966 at the Manning Bowl in Lynn. I was living in Saugus at the time and couldn’t believe that they were playing in the next town over from my town. The Rolling Stones were playing just five miles away!

They were absolutely sensational while performing but when many unruly fans charged the stage, the Lynn police released tear gas and it became a very bad scene.

What is still vivid in my mind is that after the tear gas and pandemonium, Mick Jagger was lifted up off his feet by one of the police officers while still singing “Satisfaction.” It’s time to just remember The Rolling Stones as they were back then, when, along with The Beatles, they were easily the people’s choice and not how they are today.

So, with that, I say to Mick and the other group members: Please retire now after this upcoming tour while it’s not too late.

Otherwise, we, the true fans who saw you perform at the apex of your musical career, will be remembered as Willie Mays was when he retired as a New York Met – a washed-up icon who had to wear eyeglasses whenever he came up to bat because he refused to retire when he could have gone out on top.

I doubt that The Rolling Stones will bow out gracefully even after their 55 years. It’s just a pity that they probably will choose not to, so with that I hope this is truly “The Last Time” – one of their biggest hits circa 1965 – that they tour for their own sake.

Larry Giantonio lives in Newburyport."
- [www.NewburyportNews.com]

Date: March 29, 2019 11:00

Thanks Irix for posting it.
I have to say that the article is a lot worse than I thought. Not focussing on the music but instead on their age. John Lee Hooker made some of his best albums when he was old, so did Leonard Cohen. Nick Cave still makes great music. Although I am not a fan of David Bowie, he was interesting and creative until the end. Age has nothing to do with it.

Date: March 29, 2019 11:33

people try to put us down
just because we get around
things they do look awful cold
hope this writer has a copy of Banquet & stuffs
a big ol' feast into in his mouth part
while listening.
Byline: Mumbles.

Just replace the pen with a fork and this cat will be A-OK.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 29, 2019 11:39

matxil
I have to say that the article is a lot worse than I thought. Not focussing on the music but instead on their age. John Lee Hooker made some of his best albums when he was old, so did Leonard Cohen. Nick Cave still makes great music. Although I am not a fan of David Bowie, he was interesting and creative until the end. Age has nothing to do with it.

The problem with this argument is that the Stones have NOT been creative for the last 15 years or so. Unlike the musicians mentioned above.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 29, 2019 12:00

“saw them again in June 1966”

The author does not say he has seen a show after 1966.

Discussion over.

Date: March 29, 2019 12:26

jlowe
matxil

The problem with this argument is that the Stones have NOT been creative for the last 15 years or so. Unlike the musicians mentioned above.

If you had seen my previous post, you'd have seen I completely agree with that. But that's not because of age. It's because Mick and Keith want to do different things but, for one reason or other, instead of going their own ways, like the Beatles did, they stuck together and settled for compromise.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 29, 2019 13:34

I've thought for a long time they would be wise to work on the recordings in their vaults. That said, they still seem to be playing well despite their advancing years. I'm sure they thought ABB was going to be their swan-song - go out with a bang sort of thing. Anyway supposedly a new album is in the offing. I expect it'll be the last if we go by between-album-gaps as any kind of guide. I think Keith's Crosseyed Heart suggests they might have some relevant wisdom to impart so lets hope for a good-one as a departing gift.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 29, 2019 13:50

on the surface the article may express a tired old argument about their relevance and whether or not they should move on.....having said that...the Stones are inviting these kind of articles by resting on their past glories....where's the new material?...why aren't they looking at their amazing work and playing those songs live?....same old set lists...same old excuses about fans wanting the hits......there are other arguments this article raises which are probably more relevant and closer to the frustration many fans feel.....what up Jagger and Richards?....

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 29, 2019 14:10

...will be remembered as Willie Mays was when he retired as a New York Met – a washed-up icon who had to wear eyeglasses whenever he came up to bat because he refused to retire when he could have gone out on top.

Sorry but I don't recall Willie Mays ever wearing eyeglasses...maybe sunglasses?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 29, 2019 14:13

Regardless of what we may want to moan about... and how loudly,

The Stones can still play and almost fill stadiums, with folks paying hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros for tickets.

That's simply a fact ...and when folks don't buy the tickets is when we can start saying that they should pack it up & retire.

[...and you can still exit a Stones show and hear many young first time attendees talking about the "shock & awe", how fantastic it was and how they've never experienced anything like it . Then they're hooked]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 14:24 by Spud.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 29, 2019 15:30

I hope Mick mentions Larry Giantonio during the Gillette show!! And Robert Kraft....lol

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 29, 2019 15:30

lem motlow
I’m not gonna read the article but tell me if I’m close-The Stones are too old and should hang it up,they’re far from their peak in (fill in the blank year)and are just doing it for money.
The irony of the band still having enough relevance for the writer to dedicate an entire story on them is completely lost on him/her.how’d I do?
Very good point . The old routine is true of us in the audience as well and I will be going to a batch of shows and have no intention of my age dictating that I am to old and if the Stones want to entertain us then I want to be entertained as well . No other group or artist has ever given my the joy and euphoria like these Rolling Stones do and they are old as I am old also . What is the writers point ?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2019 15:38

To this quote from the article...

"I doubt that The Rolling Stones will bow out gracefully even after their 55 years."

I think Pete Townshend said it best, (and I paraphrase) "growing old gracefully just wouldn't suit them."

And I think, that is great.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: March 29, 2019 15:41

Right on point!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 29, 2019 16:14

champ72
I’ll get destroyed for this, but I wouldn’t spend any more money on them either.
I don’t think they should retire or shouldn’t be playing, but they’ve seen enough of my money over the years. Ticket prices are just too much..and they’re happy to stock up the bank accounts. Meet & Greet?? No thanks. In fact I didn’t even bother with the exhibition. Just can’t be bothered anymore.

Just curious...why are you still on IORR?

Date: March 29, 2019 17:19

[www.youtube.com]
Say Hey (The Willie Mays Song)
The Treniers

Date: March 29, 2019 17:22

[www.youtube.com]
Willie
19 when the Giants signed hin to a deal.
he was pretty good with that axe

"The home run cleared the roof of the Polo Grounds,
if it's the only home run he ever hits, they'll still talk about it..."

"...the ball came down in Utica...."

----

if anyone reads the publication or follows that writer,
could you please email him that hoppy says screw you loser
thank you.
it's best i don't communicate with him personally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 17:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: March 29, 2019 17:30

Ahh...Larry....Heard Neil Diamond is comin to town.Maybe that's more your cup of tea..

Date: March 29, 2019 17:34

"I don't make history, I catch fly balls."
Willie Mays

(who made history)
smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]
The New Black-And-Tan Fantasy
Duke Ellington

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-29 17:42 by hopkins.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 29, 2019 18:30

Yeah, they've lost a step since the 90's, but it's not like they're embarrassing or anything. If people have fun coming out to the shows and the band has fun putting on the shows, who cares?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 29, 2019 19:20

An old guy tells other old guys to get off of his lawn.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home