Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Do you have a favourite Stones era?
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 21:20

and if your favourite era existed but all the others didnt, how would that affect the bands legacy.

personally i love the variety of the stones, love how they formed and grew, and how the music evolved and how they never settled on what they had and continued to push the boundaries to keep producing ever so more various types of songs, but usually always retaining that rhythm and feeling, aggression and melody. visually i prefer the 60,s stones from around 1967 to mid 70,s, but musically i love the fact there are more than one era to enjoy, so love listening to sounds from the decades.

recently ive been listening to

if you need me
o baby we got a good thing going
street fighting man live stuttgart 2018
like a rolling stones live warsaw 2018
citadel instrumental
we love you instrumental
jigsaw puzzle
slave outtake
2120 southmichigan avenue
star star
jj flash various live
doom and gloom
laugh i nearly died

and more.

all great stuff, no one can touch the stones and get near to that list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 18:43 by bv.

Re: do you have a favourite stones era.
Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:13

I loven all eras.
But wood-watts-jagger-richards-wyman is most "real Rolling Stones" beacause i was born 1979.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:26

I do really love the later stuff Steel Wheels through to ABB some really great stuff they released

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:30

buttons67
and if your favourite era existed but all the others didnt, how would that affect the bands legacy.

personally i love the variety of the stones, love how they formed and grew, and how the music evolved and how they never settled on what they had and continued to push the boundaries to keep producing ever so more various types of songs, but usually always retaining that rhythm and feeling, aggression and melody. visually i prefer the 60,s stones from around 1967 to mid 70,s, but musically i love the fact there are more than one era to enjoy, so love listening to sounds from the decades.

recently ive been listening to

if you need me
o baby we got a good thing going
street fighting man live stuttgart 2018
like a rolling stones live warsaw 2018
citadel instrumental
we love you instrumental
jigsaw puzzle
slave outtake
2120 southmichigan avenue
star star
jj flash various live
doom and gloom
laugh i nearly died

and more.

all great stuff, no one can touch the stones and get near to that list.
Where'd you get the Stuttgart?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:41

Like the opening post also implicitly says, even more than certain peak periods, of which I count four, I love that there is a development, and what that development comprises both during peaks and relative slumps.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: March 26, 2019 22:48

The answer to that question is yes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:02

…. love the Stones … even all the errors ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:04

'68-'89

Honestly, if the Stones had broken up in '67 and subsequently done periodic reunion tours, they wouldn't be my all-time favorite band....so for me, their legacy would be greatly changed. In fact, I'm not sure I'd have ever gone to see them live had they stopped in '67 and only reunited now and then....like the Kinks or bands along those lines. Maybe I'd have gone once, just to see them in my life, but that'd be it.....kind of like with Paul McCartney. I made sure I saw him once, and that was good enough. They'd have been a great group of the time, but only of the time. '68 changes everything for me and makes them all-timers. I love that moment in the "25x5" documentary when they cut to the JJf flash video.....and BAM! Here we go! I've gone to 20 shows and counting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 23:33 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:20

the first 20 then the next 10. in that order.
years i mean.

--
my listening personally has a Very Healthy Percentage the first Ten Years.
from the gitgo thru Exiles On Main Street.
I very liked Soup and IORR and super tracks on SG and all the late 70's stuff has tracks I go for with the same intensity of any of my favorite tracks from Brian and Mick Taylor's times as a working Stone. but truthfully, and in retrospect, i sorta intuitively started slowly dropping their priority listening status w new stuff, roughly commensurate with the period they themselves couldn't hold their working and personal relationships together....now in my own late 60's...
...in retrospect they seem like 'kids' in their thirties and early 40's...
...having come from nothing and then pretty much defined in important ways,
what real Public Address systems could do sonically in concerts that had
huge amplifiers; not like theater experiences in history prior to and after Tesla and Edison...remember those first stadium rock concerts at Shea with the northern UK dam invaders; they couldn't hear each other. Ringo turned his own kit around for the other sections haha....
well mostly i listen to my London Decca cassettes at home and in my car so i get a lot of that 60's stuff; i even think half of TSMR is really great.
i'm a huge fan of Buttons to this day; so much so i actually started to enjoy the catcalls instead of thinking i was missing how shit they were with all those many listenings to this day. so....
i love them and the familiarity after so many hundreds of hours; i can't even guess. they are like home in a way; soncially; i think probs for a lot of us who join a fan club...also probs why we get so loony when they go about being into other stuff than work. it was hard for me to see any of them as other than what their projected image was; which is part of the fun of entertainment. but they went deeper for me; the distancing humor in the lyric of iorr, the song, is appreciated as mickfucious or keithfucious or ronfucious lol, 'wisdom' for sho...but also they came up with sftd and many others, even jjf, that imho are very deep hits; have u seen ur mother and nineteenth; i mean they threw it in your face. i love that era and i didn't start getting 'critical' and talking this kind of stuff until, unbeknownst to fans as a matter of protective PR, they had essentially 'broken up' and also broken sort of down.
they keep coming back. i like that. i appreciate it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 15:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:23

Yes, and it is by far the Brian Jones era.

C

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:34

The Taylor years are my favourite particularly in terms of album outputs....but I love it all - mid 80's, mid naughties - all of it. If I could go back in time - I would go to the 72 & 73 tours.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:53

77-82, Kimsey's production and overall vibe of Pathe Marconi just does it for me... Although Exile is number one forever album-wise...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 00:03

I guess I'll be predictable and say '68-'72, but I think '76-'84 is very underrated.

Yes, Some Girls and Tattoo You are considered classics, but I think Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue, and Undercover all have some GREAT, weird, experimental songs on them. Not all of it works, but they were still taking chances musically.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 27, 2019 00:10

1968, Beggars, London, Marianne and all that - If I HAVE to choose ONE.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 27, 2019 00:46

Yes, I have. 1981-1982. Tattoo You followed by a US and Europe tour. Still Life. Bright colors and daylight shows in colorful outfits. Stu and Ernie Watts. Two good Stones years...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 27, 2019 00:57

I totally dig 75/76 - Love You Live was my first Rolling Stones record. My first record that came out "new" was Steel Wheels so the 90ies were also a really strong period. Many concerts in the 90ies.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 01:12

liddas
Yes, and it is by far the Brian Jones era.

C

Me too. They produced a phenomenal volume of recorded work between 1963 & 1967, touring ceaselessly throughout. I know it was Mick and Keith's brief imprisonment which brought it all to a crashing halt but they must have been absolutely knackered anyway after all that and sorely in need of a break. Both they and the Beatles were under constant pressure from their respective record companies to keep producing new music to keep them in the spotlight.

Although 68-73 are seen by most as their peak years, they were down to an album and a single a year by then and while the tours from those years are celebrated, it wasn't quite as frenetic as that 63-67 period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-27 01:33 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 27, 2019 03:34

1962-2019

Date: March 27, 2019 03:59

I'm gonna say the Rock and Roll Circus era, I love watching them when they were young, with Brian.

Date: March 27, 2019 04:24

Yes.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 27, 2019 09:19

1968 - 1982

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 12:04

1968-1981

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 27, 2019 12:40

2019-2025
jeroen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:16

Personally, my favorite era was 72-81.
So many great albums from Exile, Black & Blue, Some Girls, to Tattoo You.

Great time to be a fan while coming up through the teen years to adulthood.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:39

the psychedelic pop era. i'm free, she smiled sweetly, singer not the song, etc. very underrated era, IMHO

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:40

1967 - 1971

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:41

1962-1982

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:49

1969-1978

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 27, 2019 13:56

1962 till 1986.
Jeroen

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:18

1972/3 Exile and GHS, when I found them. Then 68 to 76, more broadly

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home