Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Statistics, sales and other extremely fascinating stuff
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 28, 2022 17:29

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
I'm not sure where he stands currently, but I know at one time Garth was trying to surpass Elvis as the best selling solo artist here stateside, ever. He repackaged his albums many different times and sold dirt-cheap boxsets in an attempt to do so. I recall reading that the sale of these boxsets (let's say for arguments sake that they contained 5 CDs), actually counted as 5 sales, instead of 1, overly inflating his numbers!!! He did then take a very long sabbatical, and in my mind, has never come close to that level of early success again.

Yeah. I definitely saw some dirt-cheap Garth box sets at the bargain store Ollie's recently. Almost giving them away.

And anyone else find it weird that Emotional Rescue has sold more in the US than Beggar's Banquet?

Could it possibly be that LP’s were selling more in the 80’s than they were twenty-plus years earlier? I do know that, in the 1960’s, LP’s were not huge-sellers amongst the U.K.’s pop-music demographic. The Stones were still somewhat contemporary in 1980, so it doesn’t surprise me that Emotional Rescue sold so well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 28, 2022 17:32

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
I'm not sure where he stands currently, but I know at one time Garth was trying to surpass Elvis as the best selling solo artist here stateside, ever. He repackaged his albums many different times and sold dirt-cheap boxsets in an attempt to do so. I recall reading that the sale of these boxsets (let's say for arguments sake that they contained 5 CDs), actually counted as 5 sales, instead of 1, overly inflating his numbers!!! He did then take a very long sabbatical, and in my mind, has never come close to that level of early success again.

Yeah. I definitely saw some dirt-cheap Garth box sets at the bargain store Ollie's recently. Almost giving them away.

And anyone else find it weird that Emotional Rescue has sold more in the US than Beggar's Banquet?

They are really dirt cheap at Ollie's - I enjoy perusing that store! Find some good things there from time to time! I have gotten a couple of nice Stones books, and even the Havana Moon 2CD/DVD set with book!!! But even regularly, the Garth sets were cheap - like $20-35!!! Just to move them. If memory serves, I believe some of them were exclusive with Walmart.

In regards to ER vs. BB....hey there's no accounting for taste here in the US, as so many are apt to point out with my 'poor' tastes in regards to great Stones songs and albums!!! smileys with beer

Date: October 28, 2022 17:35

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
georgelicks
This week the Stones crosses the 2000-week mark on The Billboard 200, the 4th artist on Billboard's history to reach it.

Hot Rocks spends its 15th week on 2022 on the chart (at #173) and 386 weeks overall.
[www.billboard.com]

Most weeks on The Billboard 200 chart (all time)

1. The Beatles — 3,197 weeks
2. Drake — 2,296 weeks
3. Eminem — 2,162 weeks
4. The Rolling Stones — 2,000 weeks
5. Elton John — 1,974 weeks
6. Taylor Swift — 1,968 weeks
7. Michael Jackson — 1,960 weeks
8. Elvis Presley — 1,902 weeks
9. Barbra Streisand — 1,884 weeks
10. Pink Floyd — 1,649 weeks

Taylor Swift's on track to reach the 2000 week mark in less than 2 months, she has 4-6 albums each week among the Top 200, Drake's has 5-7 each week and can catch up with the Beatles in less than 5 years.

I am predicting right now that when all is said and done Taylor Swift will be #1 by a long shot.

I know her guitarist. Taylor went to the high school just a few minutes from my house.

Nice! Haven't listened to Midnights yet. Am hoping to today. I do enjoy her Indie side much more so than her Pop stuff, though I do like some of the songs she's done there as well. I think Evermore is a masterpiece, though I know most regard Folklore as the better album. For me, I couldn't get into that one, and it was a huge snoozefest for me. I actually branched out and listened to some of Bon Iver and The National because of Evermore. Good stuff.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2022 18:35

Big Al
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Could it possibly be that LP’s were selling more in the 80’s than they were twenty-plus years earlier? I do know that, in the 1960’s, LP’s were not huge-sellers amongst the U.K.’s pop-music demographic. The Stones were still somewhat contemporary in 1980, so it doesn’t surprise me that Emotional Rescue sold so well.

Makes sense.

Date: October 28, 2022 18:38

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
georgelicks
This week the Stones crosses the 2000-week mark on The Billboard 200, the 4th artist on Billboard's history to reach it.

Hot Rocks spends its 15th week on 2022 on the chart (at #173) and 386 weeks overall.
[www.billboard.com]

2. Drake — 2,296 weeks
3. Eminem — 2,162 weeks

Taylor Swift's on track to reach the 2000 week mark in less than 2 months, she has 4-6 albums each week among the Top 200, Drake's has 5-7 each week and can catch up with the Beatles in less than 5 years.

I am predicting right now that when all is said and done Taylor Swift will be #1 by a long shot.

I know her guitarist. Taylor went to the high school just a few minutes from my house.

Nice! Haven't listened to Midnights yet. Am hoping to today. I do enjoy her Indie side much more so than her Pop stuff, though I do like some of the songs she's done there as well. I think Evermore is a masterpiece, though I know most regard Folklore as the better album. For me, I couldn't get into that one, and it was a huge snoozefest for me. I actually branched out and listened to some of Bon Iver and The National because of Evermore. Good stuff.

Never really given her a shot. Maybe I will. Another Taylor Swift side note, I worked with the sister of the guy she wrote Picture to Burn about. She had some cool pictures of her sitting on Taylor's lap when she was a kid.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: October 28, 2022 19:37

Nashville Blues! You live in Wyomissing? Beautiful area.

Date: October 28, 2022 22:33

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

2. Drake — 2,296 weeks
3. Eminem — 2,162 weeks

Never really given her a shot. Maybe I will. Another Taylor Swift side note, I worked with the sister of the guy she wrote Picture to Burn about. She had some cool pictures of her sitting on Taylor's lap when she was a kid.

I really loved her song, Tim McGraw, back when she was just a Teenager in country. Then she went pop and I never really followed her. However, I started coaching my (at the time) town's Jr High girls soccer team, and of course all those teeny boppers loved her and its all they sang and listened to on the radio, so I got to hear a lot of the songs. Still not really a big fan, though a couple were catchy.

With Ex #2, a couple of the songs really hit home for us and our relationship, and I really liked them. Then when Folklore came out everyone was talking about how grown up she was and such a departure it was, so I gave it a listen and what struck me most about it was the fact that she dropped the F-bomb. Otherwise, it really wasn't anything special to me. Now, the follow-up, Evermore, as I'd said, is really great. For me it has been the soundtrack of my 2nd divorce, and I'd say because of that album, I knew that I was headed for another divorce before I was able to admit it.

Having now listened to Midnights, I'm not a big fan of it. It's more of a return to her earlier pop sound. For me there are only really 3 great songs on it. The rest is Ehw.

Date: October 28, 2022 23:09

rockdoc8885
Nashville Blues! You live in Wyomissing? Beautiful area.

Hendersonville, TN.

Date: October 28, 2022 23:10

Thanks Voodoo!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2022 03:16

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Well here's the thing, you didn't have a hit single on the album, which even now is what moves units. Hard to believe Street Fighting Man was far from a top 20 hit, I guess mostly due to it being banned on the radio and Sympathy wasn't released as a single until 1976.

Coming off of TSMR maybe even a tougher sell, JJF notwithstanding. Had they put that on the album I think that would really have helped sales.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2022 05:28

VoodooLounge13

His tours are what are huge now. He recently played Death Valley (Baton Rouge, LA's college football stadium that holds 102,321 for college football). He had 127,000 show up.

For one show. The second largest attended show in North America ever.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 22, 2022 17:09

Thanks to the Walmart sale, Hot Rocks makes a big re-entry on this week's Billboard 200 chart at #53 with 13,000 units (sales+streaming)

[www.billboard.com]

It also ranks at #11 on album sales and #4 on vinyl sales.

Date: November 23, 2022 06:09

georgelicks
Thanks to the Walmart sale, Hot Rocks makes a big re-entry on this week's Billboard 200 chart at #53 with 13,000 units (sales+streaming)

[www.billboard.com]

Did you notice how many Taylor Swift albums are on there!!??

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 24, 2022 00:52

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

Did you notice how many Taylor Swift albums are on there!!??

She has 9 albums on the Billboard 200 this week, and an average of 6-7 each week during the whole 2022 (and 2021, 2020, 2019...)

At this rate (about 375-400 weeks each year) she will overtake the Beatles with most weeks on the Billboard chart during the next 3-5 years.

But Drake actually will overtake the Beatles first sometime during the next 3 years, he has an average of 6-7 albums each week too.

Most weeks on the Billboard 200 since 1958:
1. The Beatles — 3,210 weeks
2. Drake — 2,424 weeks
3. Eminem — 2,208 weeks
4. Taylor Swift — 2,104 weeks
5. The Rolling Stones — 2,011 weeks
6. Michael Jackson — 1,995 weeks
7. Elton John — 1,994 weeks
8. Elvis Presley — 1,935 weeks
9. Barbra Streisand — 1,885 weeks
10. Pink Floyd — 1,650 weeks

Date: November 24, 2022 05:37

NashvilleBlues
... anyone else find it weird that Emotional Rescue has sold more in the US than Beggar's Banquet?

In the US?

DIRTY WORK sold more! BEGGARS BANQUET is ranked 24 in sales in the US! Given this link, there's no way to tell, that I can see, how up to date it is.

[bestsellingalbums.org]

But yeah, no surprise that EMOTIONAL RESCUE outsold BEGGARS BANQUET.

Date: November 24, 2022 05:41

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

2. Drake — 2,296 weeks
3. Eminem — 2,162 weeks

I really loved her song, Tim McGraw, back when she was just a Teenager in country. Then she went pop and I never really followed her. However, I started coaching my (at the time) town's Jr High girls soccer team, and of course all those teeny boppers loved her and its all they sang and listened to on the radio, so I got to hear a lot of the songs. Still not really a big fan, though a couple were catchy.

With Ex #2, a couple of the songs really hit home for us and our relationship, and I really liked them. Then when Folklore came out everyone was talking about how grown up she was and such a departure it was, so I gave it a listen and what struck me most about it was the fact that she dropped the F-bomb. Otherwise, it really wasn't anything special to me. Now, the follow-up, Evermore, as I'd said, is really great. For me it has been the soundtrack of my 2nd divorce, and I'd say because of that album, I knew that I was headed for another divorce before I was able to admit it.

Having now listened to Midnights, I'm not a big fan of it. It's more of a return to her earlier pop sound. For me there are only really 3 great songs on it. The rest is Ehw.

Uh... there's a theme running through, well, a post: you need to avoid Taylor Swift at all costs.

Holy crap.

Date: November 24, 2022 06:03

GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
... anyone else find it weird that Emotional Rescue has sold more in the US than Beggar's Banquet?

In the US?

DIRTY WORK sold more! BEGGARS BANQUET is ranked 24 in sales in the US! Given this link, there's no way to tell, that I can see, how up to date it is.

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Considering Beggars Banquet is one of the big 4 and ER is widely considered their weakest album between 1968-1981, it surprised me. But then again, I was born in 1978 and was/am unaware of music buying trends of those times.

Date: November 24, 2022 06:11

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Considering Beggars Banquet is one of the big 4 and ER is widely considered their weakest album between 1968-1981, it surprised me. But then again, I was born in 1978 and was/am unaware of music buying trends of those times.

You can't let the fame or regard of something figure into logic! Or an emotional aspect of what one thinks. Greatness and popularity are not the same, generally. ER had a huge single, BB didn't. The difference in time may not be a factor, just how the albums were handled was, and the culture of the album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2022 10:31

GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

The (over-all low) numbers in that link look very odd to me. Differing a lot from other such sources (for, example, take a look at the sale numbers in the first page of this thread). But interesting that they have sales for old Soviet releases.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Their numbers are based solely on certifications, and those can be damn old, contingent or even non-existent. The result of this is that according to them, The Rolling Stones have released only one album in Iceland (BLUE & LONESOME) and it has sold 235 copies. Yes, the total sales by the Stones in that market are 235 copies! Here in Finland we are, according to them, treated with 2 releases (STEEL WHEELS and FORTY LICKS) with incredible over 40 000 sales. Damn, I recall buying a lot of Stones albums from stores here before those two albums didn't even exist, but they claim, among other oddities, that not one copy was sold in Finland before STEEL WHEELS was released in 1989. Ghost albums? Me hallucinating? Our Swedish neighbours have even 6 album releases (those lucky bastards) that has sold 300 000 copies. A huge Stones country! Another example how weak and idiotic their random 'research' is that, according to them, The Stones have not sold in their home country one copy before AFTERMATH, although, for example, their debut album spent many, many weeks as number one (and is, in reality, one of their best selling albums there with its almost one million sales).

So, although that site includes some factual numbers, it presents them with such a manner that is heavily misleading. Some might call it even 'fake news'.

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-24 13:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2022 12:57

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Well, that's nothing: according to that site, THE ROLLING STONES NOW! has not sold one copy.... I mean, it is not probably their best album, but not that bad...grinning smiley

But no matter how poor that site is as a reliable source, it is true that EMOTIONAL RESCUE had sold better than BEGGARS BANQUET (by the end of 2016 it was 5.7 vs. 4.0 millions). Altogether of all of their classic albums BEGGARS BANQUET has clearly lowest sales. If you are interested more of that phenomenon there is a discussion of that in the first two pages in this thread.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-24 13:05 by Doxa.

Date: November 24, 2022 23:25

GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

You can't let the fame or regard of something figure into logic! Or an emotional aspect of what one thinks. Greatness and popularity are not the same, generally. ER had a huge single, BB didn't. The difference in time may not be a factor, just how the albums were handled was, and the culture of the album.

Assumed Sympathy and SFM were big singles.

Date: November 24, 2022 23:54

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Street Fighting Man wasn’t a U.K. single, though did get a U.S. release. It wasn’t particularly successful, however. Sympathy for the Devil wasn’t a single, anywhere, originally.

Date: November 25, 2022 00:02

Just checked Wikipedia: Street Fighting Man did eventually get a U.K. release in 1971. Rather bizarrely, with the Rolling Stones, Now! track, Surprise Surprise as it’s B-side. Of course, this flip-side hadn’t yet had a U.K. release at this point. Still, an odd pairing.

The U.S. single of Street Fighting Man is a different mix to the more well-known Beggars Banquet version. It isn’t as good, in my opinion.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: November 25, 2022 00:06

Big Al
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Street Fighting Man wasn’t a U.K. single, though did get a U.S. release. It wasn’t particularly successful, however. Sympathy for the Devil wasn’t a single, anywhere, originally.

Street Fighting Man was a UK single two times
[www.discogs.com]
Decca F 13195 Street Fighting Man//Surprise Surprise/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (7", 6/71, No. 21)
Decca F 13203 Street Fighting Man/Surprise Surprise (7", 7/71)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 25, 2022 00:24

Thanks for the info, Doxa!

Considering the general level of sales, in each era, "Blue and Lonesome" and "ABB" were clearly more successful than some albums of 70s...

Date: November 25, 2022 11:10

Ricky

[www.discogs.com]
Decca F 13195 Street Fighting Man//Surprise Surprise/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (7", 6/71, No. 21)

Yes, but the Stones, themselves, didn't intend for it to be a single in the U.K., or anywhere, probably. In the case of the two U.K. single releases, it’s evidentially just DECCA, wanting to mop-up after the group left the label. I'm sure the inclusion of Surprise, Surprise as the flip-side, may have proved an incentive for some U.K. buyers, having only been previously released on an obscure DECCA compilation L.P.

Date: November 25, 2022 15:12

Big Al
Ricky

[www.discogs.com]

Yes, but the Stones, themselves, didn't intend for it to be a single in the U.K., or anywhere, probably. In the case of the two U.K. single releases, it’s evidentially just DECCA, wanting to mop-up after the group left the label. I'm sure the inclusion of Surprise, Surprise as the flip-side, may have proved an incentive for some U.K. buyers, having only been previously released on an obscure DECCA compilation L.P.

So SFM was a single. You said it wasn’t.

Date: November 26, 2022 06:11

Doxa
GasLightStreet
NashvilleBlues

In the US?

[bestsellingalbums.org]

The (over-all low) numbers in that link look very odd to me. Differing a lot from other such sources (for, example, take a look at the sale numbers in the first page of this thread). But interesting that they have sales for old Soviet releases.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Their numbers are based solely on certifications, and those can be damn old, contingent or even non-existent. The result of this is that according to them, The Rolling Stones have released only one album in Iceland (BLUE & LONESOME) and it has sold 235 copies. Yes, the total sales by the Stones in that market are 235 copies! Here in Finland we are, according to them, treated with 2 releases (STEEL WHEELS and FORTY LICKS) with incredible over 40 000 sales. Damn, I recall buying a lot of Stones albums from stores here before those two albums didn't even exist, but they claim, among other oddities, that not one copy was sold in Finland before STEEL WHEELS was released in 1989. Ghost albums? Me hallucinating? Our Swedish neighbours have even 6 album releases (those lucky bastards) that has sold 300 000 copies. A huge Stones country! Another example how weak and idiotic their random 'research' is that, according to them, The Stones have not sold in their home country one copy before AFTERMATH, although, for example, their debut album spent many, many weeks as number one (and is, in reality, one of their best selling albums there with its almost one million sales).

So, although that site includes some factual numbers, it presents them with such a manner that is heavily misleading. Some might call it even 'fake news'.

- Doxa

Oh crap. I recall of some other links that are old news in regard to sales. Someone bothered to put it together but forgot to update or doesn't care... yet it's still online!

Record sales pre-1991 are not to be believed but, wherever they are, it's all there is. Even the charts... all tied together.

Will there ever be a way to know if STICKY FINGERS sold "better" because it had Brown Sugar on it? Considering it was the first LP to have the big single on it - and every LP since has - is there a way to determine such a thing? Probably not.

Post-1991 yes, in a way, even though, with Living In A Ghost Town being the only exception, all singles have been on an album, and sales vs streaming has made it probably pointless to figure out chart success because the charts don't really mean anything anymore, at least in how they did.

Not that that matters for the Stones - they've only had two albums out since streaming became a thing.

Love Is Strong made it to #91 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles (sales) yet the LP sold over 2 million copies. The tour had over 6 million people attend but that's in totality, can't find numbers for North America or the US in regard to Billboard record sales but probably a bit over 2 million.

Date: November 26, 2022 08:07

NashvilleBlues
Big Al
Ricky

[www.discogs.com]

I was a little incorrect! I knew it was released as a single in the States and that it wasn’t - originally! - a single-release in the U.K. I completely overlooked the fact that it did, eventually get the single treatment in the U.K. though be it, without the Stones’ consent. On a little side note: I believe the original U.S. 45rpm picture-sleeve of Street Fighting Man to be one of their rarest and most valuable releases.

Date: November 28, 2022 05:44

NashvilleBlues
Big Al
Ricky

[www.discogs.com]

Street Fighting Man wasn't a single in the orbit of BEGGARS BANQUET onward into 1969. In other words, it had nothing to do with the album at the time.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home