Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Statistics, sales and other extremely fascinating stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2020 18:59

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
ironbelly
treaclefingers
Criminal that so many Undercover cuts in the bottom 10, particularly Too Tough.

The heart wants what the heart wants I guess.
The ultimate crime is here - "Losin' My Touch" FORTY LICKS 44,3

Those three FORTY LICKS tracks are total losers in Spotify. The compilation is totally yesterday's papers now. No one finds the tracks any longer.

- Doxa

Is 40 Licks on Spotify at all?

No.

Date: August 25, 2020 19:01

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
ironbelly
treaclefingers

Those three FORTY LICKS tracks are total losers in Spotify. The compilation is totally yesterday's papers now. No one finds the tracks any longer.

- Doxa

No.

Well, wait - it is. When I searched it and the songs in Spotify I couldn't find it. Google found it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2020 19:22

GasLightStreet
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
ironbelly
treaclefingers

- Doxa

No.

Well, wait - it is. When I searched it and the songs in Spotify I couldn't find it. Google found it.

New(ish) to Spotify.. but it would appear that while it's not offered under the official RS releases, a search produces it under several "playlists"..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 25, 2020 19:32

GasLightStreet
Doxa
ironbelly
treaclefingers

- Doxa

It solidifies what a dumb idea it was for them to put new music on a career spanning hits comp. So dumb. Incredibly dumb.

Well, it is basically nothing else but a rather cheap trick to promote the compilation at the time. But especially now in an online era, those songs simply disappear in the long run as the compilations come and go. Like they never happened. That will be the fate of "One More Shot" soon.

But, of course, if you have your own copy you can listen it forever...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-25 19:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 26, 2020 02:52

A quick update on the latest UK & US charts:

August 29, 2020

The Billboard 200
TW LW 2W WOC Title Artist ( Peak ) Imprint | label
161 163 170 344 Hot Rocks 1964-1971 ? The Rolling Stones ( 4 ) ABKCO

Adult Alternative Airplay
TW LW Wks Song Artist Peak
34 New 1 Scarlet - The Rolling Stones f/ Jimmy Page ( 34 )
39 31 17 Living in a Ghost Town - The Rolling Stones ( 4 )

UK Top 200 Albums

UK Airplay Top 100

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 26, 2020 15:12

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to, and explained, the significance of the amazing amount of data included in this thread. An absolute joy to an old nerd like myself.

This week (26th August 2020) The Stones have racked up their 344th week on the Billboard 200 with Hot Rocks. I now know that album is their biggest seller ever. When I look at its contents, and also at the contents of their biggest seller post ABKCO/Decca (Jump Back), it is easy to see why the band have settled for the set list they usually churn out now at the concerts. Essentially 13-14 of the tracks most likely to be played, feature on those two compilation albums. When you add in Keith's usual two live contributions, a couple of 'rarities' (I use the term loosely) plus the audience choice - most likely a warhorse or semi-warhorse - you get the nineteen numbers each concert now seems to feature.

Giving the fans what they want I guess. Or at least those fans who see the Stones once every five years and rarely listen to anything from the band other than the warhorses embedded in the playlists recycled endlessly on Classic Rock stations. Its just a shame the band never really make any attempt to cater for those of us who listen at much greater depth to their work. Other than a very occasional gesture via the odd unexpected number in concert. Perhaps the band should remember that it is people like us here who buy their anniversary releases and From The Vaults material!!.

But I guess not. What a shame!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-26 20:02 by GerardHennessy.

Date: August 29, 2020 16:34

GasLightStreet
AppleMusic has more users than Spotify. Would be interesting to see if the choices are similar to Spotify regarding the Stones.

I tried to find a way to get Apple Music statistics, but it seems impossible at least for a non-user.

Anyway, what I did find is that Spotify still has about two times as much users as Apple Music, although the latter, being in business for just about five years, is catching up.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-29 16:37 by Doxa.

Date: August 30, 2020 20:14

Doxa
GasLightStreet
AppleMusic has more users than Spotify. Would be interesting to see if the choices are similar to Spotify regarding the Stones.

I tried to find a way to get Apple Music statistics, but it seems impossible at least for a non-user.

Anyway, what I did find is that Spotify still has about two times as much users as Apple Music, although the latter, being in business for just about five years, is catching up.

- Doxa

Really! I saw something that said Apple had more but only by 2 million or some "small" number. I guess I forgot to see when that was published.

Well, I suppose I'll be helping with some of their Spotify numbers: I've made a REWIND 1963-2020 that's... 53 songs. I suppose I might add more to it but it's an attempt to combine THE SINGLES COLLECTION, HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE, SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES, REWIND with post-1983 tracks that I prefer (no @#$%& Rock And A Hard Place or Streets Of Love for example, as well as I left off Honky Tonk Women, SFTD, Satisfaction, Fool To Cry and Angie).

It's cool to go from Hang Fire to I Wanna Be Your Man to Emotional Rescue. Another nice one is Rocks Off, Crazy Mama, Rough Justice, Star Star, HYSYMBSITS, She Was Hot and Dancing With Mr D.

Date: September 9, 2020 18:43

Just another pointless chart I constructed just for fun. Well, it covers the music released from UNDERCOVER to A BIGGER BANG, and I had two things in mind:
(1) It is over-all a rather forgotten phase in their career. But what songs do people actually listen from those times?
(2) It covers an era when streaming business was not yet going strong, which is to say, none of the releases had the gain of pushing streams by being a new fresh product. So they all are in the same line like how viewed after their hey-day (so, for example, the great streaming numbers of BLUE & LONESOME or "Living In A Ghost Town" are not comparable ).

THE LOST YEARS 1983-2005: SPOTIFY TOP 20

1. Anybody Seen My Baby? 20,4 (streams in millions)
2. Like A Rolling Stone 10,1
3. Out Of Control 8,5
4. Rock & A Hard Place 7,7
5. Love Is Strong 7,6
6. Harlem Shuffle 7,5
7. Mixed Emotions 7,5
8. Streets Of Love 6,2
9. Undercover of The Night 5,6
10. Saint Of Me 4,4
11. Rain Fall Down 4,4
12. You Got Me Rocking 4,3
13. Slipping Away 4,2
14. Don’t Stop 4,0
15. Laugh I Nearly Died 3,9
16. Out Of Tears 3,0
17. Almost Hear You Sigh 2,9
18. Rough Justice 2,7
19. One Hit (To The Body) 2,1
20. She Was Hot 1,9

Some observations:
- "Anybody Seen My Baby?" with its over 20 million streams is clearly the most popular song from this era; it makes even their all-time top 30. Even though the song wasn't any chart topper at the time, it would be interesting to compare how it would do now if compared to the better charting songs in 1997 (no, I will not do that...grinning smiley)
- it is the singles that are remembered/listened most. Was it that they were promoted best (by videos, etc) or does that signal that they chose the best ones for singles? Of course, to an extent the singles gain from being typically released in compilations, that is, they are easier to reach. The only so called pure album tracks are "Out of Control", "Slipping Away" and "Laugh I Nearly Cried".
- the list most likely contradicts with typical hardcore fan taste, at least, if we keep IORR as some sort of evidence for the latter. That "Anybody Seen My Love?" is that much more popular than any other song from the era doesn't match with a hardcore opinion, I might suggest. Nor "Streets Of Love", followed by "Rain Fall Down", being the most streamed song from A BIGGER BANG. Altogether Jagger's 'following the trends' and 'chasing hits' policy seems produce the most memorable results in the long run (by attracting mostly 'casual fans' I guess).
- "Slipping Away" with its 4.2 million streams is clearly the most popular latter-day 'Keith song'. Only two other has over 1 million streams (both from VOODOO LOUNGE). Actually only two real classical Keith tunes - "Happy" (14,6 m) and "You Got The Silver" (5.1 m) - are doing better than it.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-09 19:32 by Doxa.

Date: March 27, 2021 02:18

HOT ROCKS reaches 350 weeks on the Billboard 200 chart this week, only 29 albums reached that mark in the US since 1958.

The Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd
Legend: The Best Of..., Bob Marley And The Wailers
Journey's Greatest Hits, Journey
Metallica, Metallica
Greatest Hits, Guns N' Roses
Curtain Call: The Hits, Eminem
Johnny's Greatest Hits, Johnny Mathis
My Fair Lady, Original Cast
Nevermind, Nirvana
Chronicle The 20 Greatest Hits, Creedence Clearwater Revival
Doo-Wops & Hooligans, Bruno Mars
21, Adele
1, The Beatles
Thriller, Michael Jackson
Back In Black, AC/DC
good kid, m.A.A.d city, Kendrick Lamar
Night Visions, Imagine Dragons
Greatest Hits, Queen
The Eminem Show, Eminem
Take Care, Drake
Rumours, Fleetwood Mac
Abbey Road, The Beatles
Greatest Hits, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Born To Die, Lana Del Rey
Nothing Was The Same, Drake
Greatest Hits, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, Eagles
Greatest Hits, 2Pac
Hot Rocks 1964-1971, The Rolling Stones

[www.billboard.com]

Date: March 27, 2021 05:19

From the LIAGT thread... regarding Anybody Seen My Baby? and Living In A Ghost Town:

Doxa
Doxa
"Living In A Ghost Town" seems to be a steady streamer. It has now 11.9 mil streams (#46), making it the third most streamed Stones song in Spotify since TATTOO YOU hits. It will pass very soon "Hate You See You Go" (12.3 mil, #43), and being such a steady streamer months after its relaese, it looks it will even catch "Anybody Seen My Baby?" (18,1 mil, #30) later in the fall/winter.

- Doxa

This post is from last August. There I predicted that "Ghost Town" will catch "Anybody Seen My Baby?" during the fall/winter. Well, it did not, but this week it finally will. "Anybody" has now 23,8 million streams against 23,7 millions of "Ghost Town" (plus A-Lok version has 9,2 million streams). What is interesting that in August "Anybody" was #30, not it is #26. It's going up, up, up... So my prediction failed because I didn't expect it will do so well (for example, with its 5,7 million streams since August it has done better than all the versions of brandnew "Scarlet" put together). Soon both of those songs - "Ghost Town" and "Anybody", that is - will pass "Sweet Virginia" (23,9m) and "Dead Flowers" (24,0m).

Altogether I think the (recent) success of "Anybody Seen My Baby?" has been surprisingly good. Clearly the most streamed 'catalogue song' relaesed between TATTOO YOU and streaming era. Surprisingly, because it didn't make even HONK collection, and from the base of I've read here it isn't exactly a fan favourite. But somebody out there likes it... I always have liked it, by the way.

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 27, 2021 16:58

Lana Del Ray ????

Rod

Date: May 18, 2021 13:04

There've been some sucking threads lately... not that our threads suck generally by nature, but people were using the old collection title as a nice excuse to construct personal favourite suckers from each decade. So I use that as a guide and consult the democratic jury of Spotify to see how they see the Stones sucking.

SUCKING IN THE 60's

1. Paint It, Black 567,3 million streams
2. Satisfaction 396,5
3. Gimme Shelter 341,4
4. Sympathy for The Devil 336,0
5. You Can't Always Get What You Want (106,1+13,2) 119,3
6. Honky Tonk Women 101,0
7. Jumpin' Jack Flash 82,7
8. Under My Thumb 76,9
9. She's A Rainbow (53,1+6,9) 60,0
10. Ruby Tuesday 56,1

That's some bad ass sucking. TOP FOUR are also the TOP FOUR of all-time, and the worst is still #17 in all-time charts.

RE-SUCKING IN THE 70's

1. Beast of Burden (228,7+16,6) 244,3
2. Angie 198,3
3. Wild Horses 153,8
4. Brown Sugar 153,5
5. Miss You 98,1
6. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 61,3
7. Tumbling Dice 43,1
8. Dead Flowers 25,0
9. Sweet Virginia 25,0
10. It's Only Rock'n'Roll 24,2

Ballad-heavy top three. Probably some deep STICKY FINGERS and EXILE numbers having a surprisingly high charting.

SUCKING IN THE 80's

1. Start Me Up 329,2
2. Waiting On A Friend 28,1
3. Emotional Rescue 20,9
4. Heaven 18,8
5. She's So Cold 17,0
6. Harlem Shuffle 7,7
7. Slipping Away 5,5
8. Undercover of The Night 5,0
9. Mixed Emotions 4,5
10. Little T&A 4,3

Well, one song above the rest big time, and TATTOO YOU having four cuts, of which the success of "Heaven" is a nice surprise, me thinks. Two Keith songs making the list. (However, the streams of two collections have disappearad for some reason from the counting, FORTY LICKS and SINGLES COLLECTION, which means that certain singles have much more streams in reality, such as "Mixed Emotions", and, for example, "Rock And A Hard Place" would have made the list. However, we live these 'facts' now).

SOME SERIOUS SUCKING IN THE 90's

1. Anybody Seen My Baby? 25,4
2. Out of Control 10,7
3. Love Is Strong 8,3
4. Like A Rolling Stone (live) 5,4
5. You Got Me Rocking 4,9
6. Paying The Cost To Be The Boss (with B.B. King) 4,9
7. Wild Horses (live STRIPPED) 4,5
8. Saint Of Me 4,4
9. Paint It Black (live FLASHPOINT) 4,2
10. Out of Tears 2,9

Okay, some serious difficulties in entering top ten with their new songs... That tell something about the times... But if we leave the B.B. King track and live versions out, the next 'proper songs' would be:

12. Blinded By Rainbows 1,9
13. Thru and Thru 1,8
19. Flip The Switch 1,6

Missing pieces are live cuts from FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED. "Flip The Switch" is #221 in all-time charts....

STILL SUCKING FROM 2000 ON

1. Living In A Ghost Town 26,1
2. Wild Horses (Acoustic Version) 22,2
3. Hate To See You Go 14,3
4. Ride 'Em On Down 11,6
5. Just Your Fool 11,4
6. Living In A Ghost Town (Alok Remix) 10,0
7. Doom And Gloom 7,7
8. Doom And Gloom (Jeff Bhasker Mix) 7,4
9. Streets Of Love 7,0
10. Blue And Lonesome 5,8

Okay, to clean up the list let us put different versions together and throw the nostalgic STICKY FINGERS number(s) out. Then we have the following entrances:

11. Commit A Crime 5,4
12. I Gotta Go 5,3
14. All Of Your Love 4,7

Surely one can see that BLUE & LONESOME gains from having relaesed during a streaming era. The next A BIGGER BANG track would be "Laugh I Nearly Died" (4,4m) and "Rain Fall Down" (3,9m). If put all the versions of "Scarlet" together that would made top ten with its 6,1m streams.

Now that was fun - while wasting time to go to get a needle against corona. See ya!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-19 10:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2021 16:34

Doxa, I can't believe Saint of Me didn't crack it's way into the top ten, or even your bubbling under. That's wild.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 18, 2021 16:44

Treaclefingers
Doxa, I can't believe Saint of Me didn't crack it's way into the top ten, or even your bubbling under. That's wild.

In 1997 I thought Saint of Me would be the new Start Me Up, a live staple. Sadly it has not. After San Jose 99 release and the 2 BTB releases, I'd love to see it make a setlist return.

Date: May 19, 2021 10:38

treaclefingers

Actually it did - my bad! Gonna fix it. Thanks pointing out!

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 19, 2021 10:48

TumblinDice76
Treaclefingers

In 1997 I thought Saint of Me would be the new Start Me Up, a live staple. Sadly it has not. After San Jose 99 release and the 2 BTB releases, I'd love to see it make a setlist return.

It's last performance was in the Netherlands during the Licks tour, I believe.

Another surprise is that Time is on My Side has only ben performed once since 1981-82: Tokyo, 1998.

Date: May 19, 2021 11:40

Big Al

Another surprise is that Time is on My Side has only ben performed once since 1981-82: Tokyo, 1998.

Yes it is. With its 22,2 million streams (#29) it is their most popular cover song on Spotify. The next ones are "Hate To See You Go" (14,3m #45) and "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" (13,6m #51).

And about the live versions of "Time Is On My Side". We have three of them on Spotify:

LIVE 1965: 1,7m (the most streamed song from that album)
STILL LIFE: 1,6m (likewise, number one in its context, next one being "Under My Thumb" with 1,1m streams)
GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT: 0,13m (#4 in a totally forgotten album)

- Doxa

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: May 19, 2021 23:47

Doxa
There've been some sucking threads lately... not that our threads suck generally by nature, but people were using the old collection title as a nice excuse to construct personal favourite suckers from each decade. So I use that as a guide and consult the democratic jury of Spotify to see how they see the Stones sucking.

SUCKING IN THE 60's

1. Paint It, Black 567,3 million streams
2. Satisfaction 396,5
3. Gimme Shelter 341,4
4. Sympathy for The Devil 336,0
5. You Can't Always Get What You Want (106,1+13,2) 119,3
6. Honky Tonk Women 101,0
7. Jumpin' Jack Flash 82,7
8. Under My Thumb 76,9
9. She's A Rainbow (53,1+6,9) 60,0
10. Ruby Tuesday 56,1

That's some bad ass sucking. TOP FOUR are also the TOP FOUR of all-time, and the worst is still #17 in all-time charts.

RE-SUCKING IN THE 70's

1. Beast of Burden (228,7+16,6) 244,3
2. Angie 198,3
3. Wild Horses 153,8
4. Brown Sugar 153,5
5. Miss You 98,1
6. Can't You Hear Me Knocking 61,3
7. Tumbling Dice 43,1
8. Dead Flowers 25,0
9. Sweet Virginia 25,0
10. It's Only Rock'n'Roll 24,2

Ballad-heavy top three. Probably some deep STICKY FINGERS and EXILE numbers having a surprisingly high charting.

SUCKING IN THE 80's

1. Start Me Up 329,2
2. Waiting On A Friend 28,1
3. Emotional Rescue 20,9
4. Heaven 18,8
5. She's So Cold 17,0
6. Harlem Shuffle 7,7
7. Slipping Away 5,5
8. Undercover of The Night 5,0
9. Mixed Emotions 4,5
10. Little T&A 4,3

Well, one song above the rest big time, and TATTOO YOU having four cuts, of which the success of "Heaven" is a nice surprise, me thinks. Two Keith songs making the list. (However, the streams of two collections have disappearad for some reason from the counting, FORTY LICKS and SINGLES COLLECTION, which means that certain singles have much more streams in reality, such as "Mixed Emotions", and, for example, "Rock And A Hard Place" would have made the list. However, we live these 'facts' now).

SOME SERIOUS SUCKING IN THE 90's

1. Anybody Seen My Baby? 25,4
2. Out of Control 10,7
3. Love Is Strong 8,3
4. Like A Rolling Stone (live) 5,4
5. You Got Me Rocking 4,9
6. Paying The Cost To Be The Boss (with B.B. King) 4,9
7. Wild Horses (live STRIPPED) 4,5
8. Saint Of Me 4,4
9. Paint It Black (live FLASHPOINT) 4,2
10. Out of Tears 2,9

Okay, some serious difficulties in entering top ten with their new songs... That tell something about the times... But if we leave the B.B. King track and live versions out, the next 'proper songs' would be:

12. Blinded By Rainbows 1,9
13. Thru and Thru 1,8
19. Flip The Switch 1,6

Missing pieces are live cuts from FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED. "Flip The Switch" is #221 in all-time charts....

STILL SUCKING FROM 2000 ON

1. Living In A Ghost Town 26,1
2. Wild Horses (Acoustic Version) 22,2
3. Hate To See You Go 14,3
4. Ride 'Em On Down 11,6
5. Just Your Fool 11,4
6. Living In A Ghost Town (Alok Remix) 10,0
7. Doom And Gloom 7,7
8. Doom And Gloom (Jeff Bhasker Mix) 7,4
9. Streets Of Love 7,0
10. Blue And Lonesome 5,8

Okay, to clean up the list let us put different versions together and throw the nostalgic STICKY FINGERS number(s) out. Then we have the following entrances:

11. Commit A Crime 5,4
12. I Gotta Go 5,3
14. All Of Your Love 4,7

Surely one can see that BLUE & LONESOME gains from having relaesed during a streaming era. The next A BIGGER BANG track would be "Laugh I Nearly Died" (4,4m) and "Rain Fall Down" (3,9m). If put all the versions of "Scarlet" together that would made top ten with its 6,1m streams.

Now that was fun - while wasting time to go to get a needle against corona. See ya!

- Doxa

Saw now that you just made a refresh. I was just about to download all tracks again from chartmaster and do a new list smiling smiley so great that you already had done that. Some things are very interesting when you follow trends (on Spotify) it is pretty clear that OOC for instance is having a small streaming boom dependend on the very good live performance they give connected to it. I think Saint of Me would be up there if it was performed live more. Satisfaction is soon going to hit the 400 mark as well. It is still disturbing for me that Pink Floyd is not only above the Rolling Stones in streams but the gap is increasing.

One thing we need to look into is that if the tv series becomes reality (and is a well done one) that will boost the stats a lot.

Date: July 20, 2021 23:53

Some chart debuts for "Live At Copacabana Beach"

#2 Germany
#6 Netherlands
#8 Belgium
#62 Italy
#64 Spain
#80 France
#187 UK

It did not chart in the US Top 200

Date: July 20, 2021 23:54

[www.billboard.com]

Billboard's U.S. Money Makers: The Top Paid Musicians of 2020

34. The Rolling Stones: $5.96M

Last year’s rank: No. 1
Streaming: $2.97M
Sales: $1.8M
Publishing: $1.17M
Touring: $0

The Stones, who were 2019’s top Money Maker with $65 million in take-home pay — 92% of it from touring — placed in the bottom 25% of this ranking without playing a single show in 2020 and releasing just two new tracks, “Living in a Ghost Town” and “Scarlet,” a Goats Head Soup-era recording with Jimmy Page on guitar. They made the cut because the band owns about half of its catalog — the rest belongs to the late Allen B. Klein’s label, ABKCO Music & Records — and collects 60% of its streaming royalties and 40% of the royalties it receives for physical sales. As a result, the 1.24 billion combined streams the act generated in 2020 and the 254,000 albums it sold — slightly more than half of which were higher price-point vinyl copies — accounted for the lion’s share of its income.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2021 00:06

Saw that the other day georgelicks..

The boys definitely make their ca$h touring.. lets hope 22 (and maybe 21) will have them leading the pack again winking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 21, 2021 00:10

georgelicks
Some chart debuts for "Live At Copacabana Beach"

#2 Germany
#6 Netherlands
#8 Belgium
#62 Italy
#64 Spain
#80 France
#187 UK

It did not chart in the US Top 200

If this charts at #2 that can only mean that absolutely nobody buys any records here anymore

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 09:57

I always wondered how many copies did those many, many German, Dutch and Japanese compilations released in the 80s sell. Were they somehow increasing the general sales of the Rolling Stones or did they cause a decrease of the sales of 'Rolled Gold' rather than 'Hot Rocks'? They're not rare nowadays, and this lets me guess that did sell rather well...
Are there statistics about these albums? Thanks for caring, Luca

Re: Statistics, sales and other boring stuff
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 16:05

Doxa
Here is my comment on the insight by ThePaleRider and Testify for the significiance of VOODOO LOUNGE:

----

The whole 'comeback' period, starting with STEEL WHEELS, and ending with STRIPPED, was a great phase for the Stones salewise, almost matching with the other peaks such as from 1969 to 1973 (from THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY to GOATS HEAD SOUP, each major item, except YA-YA'S, selling at least 6 millions copies to this day!) and from 1978 to 1981 (including the monster hit albums SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU). Within that time frame from 1989 to 1995 they released two of their best selling live albums ever (both FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED selling four million copies, which means that both, for example, outsold their mid-80's new studio albums UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK and high-profile compilation REWIND) and two very successful new studio albums. Over-all they sold about 20 million copies with those four albums (and then, the big seller JUMP BACK was also released within that time frame). Of course that period, early 90's, was the all-time high in selling albums generally (the golden age of CD-era), but still a great achievement.

If we take into account those incredibly successful tours (Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle and Voodoo Lounge tours) it was indeed a great come-back for veteran rockers back to form!

- Doxa

And since this is the time when I became a Stones fan, this will forever be my own Golden Age of the Stones!!!!

Re: Statistics, sales and other boring stuff
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2021 16:10

Doxa
Spud
Crucify me if you want ...but it always amazes me how well Exile has sold down the years .

Why ?

Because to the average "AOR" listener it sounds like their kids' band practising in the garage.

Exile is at the same time sublime...and a right bloody racket !

I think EXILE having the best 'brand' of their catalogue albums, and they have managed to make sure that any respected rock fan should, next to HOT ROCKS or something like that, own it. If the reviews were rather mild initially, the band should thank the press ever since. For example, it always makes the top spots in the lists of best albums ever by ROLLING STONE magazine (once recall it being #2 only next to SGT. PEPPER). Its deluxe-edition was a huge million success as well salewise (for example, re-entering #1 in UK list), and seemingly UMG and the band made a great job in promoting it.

However, I share your feelings... EXILE is not an 'easy-listening' album. So I wonder how many of its buyers actually have nerves to listen the album so much in order to 'get it'.... Honestly, of the people I know who love rock but aren't any big Stones fans particularly, EXILE seem to confuse them... by contrast, the greatness of STICKY FINGERS and LET IT BLEED seems to be recognized rather easily... Those albums seem to speak more in terms of 'traditional rock'.

- Doxa

It was many, many, MANY years after I became a Stones fan that I was finally able to appreciate Exile for its masterpiece. It's muddied sound was a turn-off. Lack of rocking hits. Just the overall feel of a bunch of drunken buffoons really. To this day, I think it a great album, but not their best, or even second best.

Date: April 13, 2022 17:37

Just a small update on Spotify Streams. LIAGT has broken into the top 20 most streamed Stones songs (excluding the remix which also has 8+ million streams). PIB has passed the 700 million mark. BS has (maybe temp) moved passed Wild Horses. SMU will be number three within 6 months if it continues in the same pace as last 2 years. Top 20 below

SONG STREAMS
Paint It, Black 702 251 341
Satisfaction 486 860 489
Gimme Shelter 405 341 299
SFTD 404 857 294
Start Me Up 403 694 043
Beast Of Burden 295 380 156
Angie 243 884 873
Brown Sugar 190 632 357
Wild Horses 189 280 519
Miss You 128 207 749
YCAGWYW 127 917 974
Honky Tonk Women 122 082 112
JJF 102 677 144
Under My Thumb 92 649 908
CYHMK 76 443 422
She's A Rainbow 74 131 571
Ruby Tuesday 67 615 249
Tumbling Dice 52 533 762
SFM 38 907 176
LIAGT 36 989 408

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 13, 2022 17:45

tiffanyblu
Just a small update on Spotify Streams. LIAGT has broken into the top 20 most streamed Stones songs (excluding the remix which also has 8+ million streams). PIB has passed the 700 million mark. BS has (maybe temp) moved passed Wild Horses. SMU will be number three within 6 months if it continues in the same pace as last 2 years. Top 20 below

SONG STREAMS
Satisfaction 486 860 489
SFTD 404 857 294
Start Me Up 403 694 043
Angie 243 884 873
Brown Sugar 190 632 357
Wild Horses 189 280 519
Miss You 128 207 749
YCAGWYW 127 917 974
JJF 102 677 144
CYHMK 76 443 422
Ruby Tuesday 67 615 249
Tumbling Dice 52 533 762
SFM 38 907 176
LIAGT 36 989 408

Beast of Burden at #6? That is a surprise to me.

Date: April 13, 2022 17:54

NashvilleBlues
tiffanyblu

SONG STREAMS
Satisfaction 486 860 489
SFTD 404 857 294
Start Me Up 403 694 043
Angie 243 884 873
Brown Sugar 190 632 357
Wild Horses 189 280 519
Miss You 128 207 749
YCAGWYW 127 917 974
JJF 102 677 144
CYHMK 76 443 422
Ruby Tuesday 67 615 249
Tumbling Dice 52 533 762
SFM 38 907 176
LIAGT 36 989 408

Beast of Burden at #6? That is a surprise to me.

BoB is growing strong in the younger segments. For my friends, BoB is almost as popular as PIB. It has been trending in the top 5 during some periods (Spotify).

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 13, 2022 18:07

^ Interesting. Thanks for that.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home