Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Statistics, sales and other extremely fascinating stuff
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 19, 2019 19:42

GasLightStreet
deardoctor
Where is HAVANNA MOON? Missing in the list?

Apparently hardly anyone bought it!

I had to...

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 20, 2019 23:59

tiffanyblu
Doxa
Yeah, watching those digital and streaming sales - which are almost identical - it starts to be clear what are the songs that constitute the Rolling Stones legacy; the songs they are most remembered for. Not exactly any big surprises, but still some interesting features. Some quick remarks.

1. "Paint It Black" is nowadays their most popular song. It's always been a classic and one of their most well-known songs, but for years and decades like a 'hidden 60's gem' behind signatures like "Satisfaction" and "Brown Sugar", the band didn't play, etc. but now its status is established. Don't ask why it is a war horse now. Of course they need to play it.

2. For decades album cuts "Gimme Shelter" and "Sympathy For The Devil" have been estimated their biggest artistic hours by critics, but now those era-defining anthems are also favourites of big public. Familiar from movies, tv series, documentaries covering the 60's etc. Their 'war horses' status is granted. No wonder no Stones show without them.

3. "Beast of Burden" belongs clearly to their most memorable songs nowadays. A minor single hit back in 1978, but now their most popular 'ballad' (slightly above "Angie" and "Wild Horses"). It is streamed over five times more than the huge single hit of SOME GIRLS, "Miss You"(by comparison, back in 1978 "Miss You" sold 3,4 m against 0,7m of "Beast of Burden). Interesting that they don't play it that much, but have cemented the status of "Miss You". But yeah, they don't want to play ballads that often, but circulate them.

4. "Start Me Up" clearly belongs to the class of their signature riffage songs, only "Satisfaction" winning it in popularity. It is clearly more popular than its iconic forerunners it took inspiration and model from: "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk" and "Brown Sugar". Did we see that happen? And as a massive hit back then (1981) it has maintained its popularity, if not even gathering some more. By contrast, all of their other single hits since "Angie" have almost forgotten, some almost dramatically (see "Fool To Cry", Emotional Rescue", "Undercover of the Night").

5. What has happened to huge single hits and concert pleasers "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women"? Surely they still are very popular, but that of not making any longer top ten, and being far from the popularity of their actual top songs, is a bit surprising. "Honky Tonk" is even outstreamed by its (once) b-side "You Can't AlWays Get What You Want".

6. The emergence of 'big' album cuts. "Shelter" and "Sympathy" being the tip of the ice berg, and equally epic rally song "Can't Always Get What You Want" following them, but that of "Under My Thumb" competing in popularity with "Flash" and "Honk" sounds interesting. And "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" not lurking far behind. I kinda estimated the success of "Under My Thumb" but the success of 'deep album cut' like "Knocking" was a big surprise, leaving behind many iconic hit songs ("Tumbling Dice", "Ruby Tuesday", "Street Fighting Man", "Miss You", etc).

7. People don't care a shit about any Stones song released after TATTOO YOU (except "Anybody Seen My Baby?"). We knew that, but the statistics are even more cruel. Yeah, the albums were always good sellers at the time, but the songs forgotten now (almost the same, but not so dramatically, can be said of many of their 60's single hits, such as "19th Nervous Breakdown", "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby"and We Love You").

8. If you want a memorable song, don't let Keith sing it. Only three made the top 100, his signature "Happy", once a minor single hit, being the best (#36). The tales of his solo spots being a piss break get some support from streaming stats.

- Doxa

Interesting analysis. Been thinking in the same terms:

* Paint it black is growing fast especially this summer when it comes to streams. In late may it was at around 290 million streams on spotify and are now at 337 million streams - still growing much faster then the other in the top 10. It might be there most "recognized" song nowadays. I am guessing that playlists is an important source.

Beast of Burden is from time to time on their top 5 most streamed. Should absolutely be played more often om concerts, could do with a bit faster tempo.

One question about Jumpin' Jack Flash: wonder how they calculate that one, think it suffered from that for instance on spotify it was stated as both "Jumping" and "Jumpin" which probably has an effect.

One other think: IORR has very low figures. Not a number one at the time, but hey it's played all the time at concerts, should draw some traffic.. Might be that the album don't have huge streams which affects streams on the single as well.

Paint it black will move to 340 million streams on Spotify within 1 week. Growth of 17% since may. Start me up will pass 200 million mark within a month or so. 17,6% since may. One of the best growing periods of The Rolling Stones since the start of Spotify.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2019 15:06

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

HAVANA MOON belongs to a category of its own, although I dont't have exact numbers for it. But anyway, here they are, their best selling music videos/films, covering all (VHS, DVD, etc.) formats. Based again on database of chartmasters.org, and covering the sales by 2016:

ROLLING STONES TOP SELLING MUSIC VIDEOS

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
2. THE BIGGEST BANG 650 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
4. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN 425 000
5. ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS 350 000
5. SOME GIRLS: LIVE IN TEXAS '78 350 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. SWEET SUMMER SUN 300 000
8. LIVE AT THE MAX 300 000
8. BRIDGES TO BABYLON: 1998 LIVE CONCERT 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
13. FROM THE VAULT, HYDE PARK 1969 250 000
13. FROM THE VAULT, LA FORUM, LIVE 1975 200 000
13. FROM THE VAULT, HAUMPTON COLISEUM 1981 200 000
16. FROM THE VAULT, THE MARQUEE CLUB 1971 150 000
16. LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER 150 000
18. FROM THE VAULT, LIVE AT LEEDS 1982 100 000
18. FROM THE VAULT, LIVE AT THE TOKYO DOME 1990 100 000
20. REWIND 75 000

Plus there are estimated 1 050 000 sales covering additional releases, such as STONES IN EXILE, CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, HAVANA MOON and TOTALLY STRIPPED. Unfortunately those are not spesified.

Taken together they have sold about 7,5 m music videos (by 2016).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 15:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 21, 2019 15:26

The journey of Paint It Black is indeed fascinating.

Date: August 21, 2019 15:39

His Majesty

Indeed. And how much things can change over time: 2 years ago Queen had about 50% of the streams the Stones had. Now, after the movie and the soundtrack they are around 250% ahead. With their fifth most streamed song on Spotify being We Will Rock You at 415 million. Bohemian Rhapsody will pass the 1 billion mark this year.

Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: August 21, 2019 15:47

Doxa

(...)

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
(...)

- Doxa

It's hard for me to believe that Shine a Light, directed by Martin Scorsese, with theatrical run and relatively large promotion, hasn't surpassed Four Flicks and Biggest Bang. Is is possible that these are the numbers of units sold (sales multiplied by number of discs)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 16:38 by MWasilewski.

Date: August 22, 2019 15:40

tiffanyblu
His Majesty

Indeed. And how much things can change over time: 2 years ago Queen had about 50% of the streams the Stones had. Now, after the movie and the soundtrack they are around 250% ahead. With their fifth most streamed song on Spotify being We Will Rock You at 415 million. Bohemian Rhapsody will pass the 1 billion mark this year.

This is interesting, and says a lot of our 'streaming era'. When one 'hits' big time, one really hits big time. Surely that kind of reaction was seen in the days when people were still buying music, but now the peaks are so strongly visible. I mean, once one had bought a record, how many listenings one would do, didn't matter. Now every listening qualifies. As far as I know The Stones as a catologue artist are rather steady 'streamers', and seemingly doing better at the monent than usual (thanks for your numbers!), but still one can only imagine what will happen when they actually call it quits with no possible return in sight (which only can mean some sudden fatal thing I don't want even say overtly here). Then their uniqueness and significance can really be felt. But let that day be far ahead of us, and let us just enjoy them still promoting their music as an on-going act.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 15:41 by Doxa.

Date: August 22, 2019 16:56

Doxa
tiffanyblu
His Majesty

This is interesting, and says a lot of our 'streaming era'. When one 'hits' big time, one really hits big time. Surely that kind of reaction was seen in the days when people were still buying music, but now the peaks are so strongly visible. I mean, once one had bought a record, how many listenings one would do, didn't matter. Now every listening qualifies. As far as I know The Stones as a catologue artist are rather steady 'streamers', and seemingly doing better at the monent than usual (thanks for your numbers!), but still one can only imagine what will happen when they actually call it quits with no possible return in sight (which only can mean some sudden fatal thing I don't want even say overtly here). Then their uniqueness and significance can really be felt. But let that day be far ahead of us, and let us just enjoy them still promoting their music as an on-going act.

- Doxa

Agreed and the streams will explode of course in the future with different events we dont want to speak about... something though is happening with PIB, moves around 400 k listenings per day at the moment.

Fun thing : most streamed songs per release year. Stones have two: 1965 Satisfaction, 1966 PIB. Beatles have none.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 30, 2019 20:54

DGA35
The next batch of Billboard Boxscores were out last week. Not sure how to post the link here. New Orleans "sold out" with 35023 attendance. Philly 51115, Houston 45958 and Jacksonvile 50358. All listed as sold out.

New Billboard numbers for New York: 2 shows 104964 total attendance 2 sellouts
ticket gross $25,510,428!! Not bad for 2 nights work.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 31, 2019 03:01

Billboard 200 chart for the week ending August 31:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2019 06:46

Doxa
tiffanyblu
His Majesty

- Doxa

I suppose if the numbers for The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were to be looked at (why not include Pink Floyd, U2 and AC/DC too) the numbers would be relevant to what's popular?

Granted, this week, this month kind of thing - it can change quickly - but I'm going to guess it "evens out" at some point and gets back to being just a greatest hits kind of thing.

Not many people are probably streaming AC/DC's last, well, since THE RAZOR'S EDGE I would think, but certainly earlier albums and or songs with all those raunchy classic tunes... and they haven't hung it up yet as well - not that that matters: people don't go to the shows to hear the latest single, no matter how good it is. They're another catalog band.

Retired bands - probably a bigger streaming load than the Stones with way less albums/songs to choose from because of the aspect of that's all there will ever be or it's what mom and dad or my brother or sister or my uncle etc listened to and skateboarders like blah blah blah so at least it's good music.

Take into account their longevity/discography and, hit singles aside up until 1981, they probably aren't streaming as much as LZ or some of PF's songs, possibly because for younger people they're just not as cool... or something like that.

That's just a guess. That may never change, regardless of how long the Stones continue - to tour, at least. No one gives a shit past 1981 as it is so... that may be a good way to look at it.

Why SHINE A LIGHT sold so well is a mystery, other than initial theatre run, because it's really bad. Of all things, GIMME SHELTER is way down the ranks. FOUR FLICKS makes sense - it was the peak of DVD sales and that box set is outstanding, it was affordably priced, as I recall, and the tour was quite big, lots of press, but THE BIGGEST BANG is just... yawn: a very poorly executed repeat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-11 16:12 by GasLightStreet.

Date: September 4, 2019 15:59

GasLightStreet
Doxa
tiffanyblu
His Majesty

- Doxa

I suppose if the numbers for The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were to be looked at (why not include Pink Floyd, U2 and AC/DC too) the numbers would be relevant to what's popular?

Granted, this week, this month kind of thing - it can change quickly - but I'm going to guess it "evens out" at some point and gets back to being just a greatest hits kind of thing.

Not many people are probably streaming AC/DC's last, well, since THE RAZOR'S EDGE I would think, but certainly earlier albums and or songs with all those raunchy classic tunes... and they haven't hung it up yet as well - not that that matters: people don't go to the shows to hear the latest single, no matter how good it is. They're another catalog band.

Retired bands - probably a bigger streaming load than the Stones with way less albums/songs to choose from because of the aspect of that's all there will ever be or it's what mom and dad or my brother or sister or my uncle etc listened to and skateboarders like blah blah blah so at least it's good music.

Take into account their longevity/discography and, hit singles aside up until 1981, they probably aren't streaming as much as LZ or some of PF's songs, possibly because for younger people they're just not as cool... or something like that.

That's just a guess. That may never change, regardless of how long the Stones continue - to tour, at least. No one gives a shit past 1981 as it is so... that may be a good way to look at it.

Why SHINE A LIGHT sold so well is a mystery, other than initial theatre run, because it's really bad. Of all things, GIMME SHELTER is way down the ranks. FOUR FLICKS makes sense - it was the peak of DVD sales and that box set is outstanding, it was affordably priced, as I recall, and the tour was quite big, lots of press, but A BIGGER BANG is just... yawn: a very poorly executed repeat.

I can only answer for Spotify, goes like this:

Top 5 streams, Stones (in million)
PIB 344
Satisfaction 242
Gimme Shelter 222
Sympathy 220
Start me up 200

In comparison to Beatles:
Here comes the sun 348
Come together 231
Let it be 197
Hey Jude 196
Yesterday 163

Led Zeppelin:
STH 344
Immigrant song 232
Whole lotta love 207
Good times Bad Times 126
Black dog 116

Pink Floyd:
Wish you were here 290
Another Brick in the Wall 282
Comfortably Numb 203
Money 182
Time 113

AC/DC has gone really well in the last few years, publicity has been good, you can see that in the streams as well:

Back in black 439
Highway to hell 433
Thunderstruck 412
Shook me all night long 301
TNT 202

U2 is not that strong within streaming as one might think:
With or without you 340
Beautiful day 206
Still havent found what Im looking for 204
One 176
Sunday, bloody Sunday 118

Date: September 5, 2019 17:16

tiffanyblu
GasLightStreet
Doxa
tiffanyblu
His Majesty

- Doxa

Why SHINE A LIGHT sold so well is a mystery, other than initial theatre run, because it's really bad. Of all things, GIMME SHELTER is way down the ranks. FOUR FLICKS makes sense - it was the peak of DVD sales and that box set is outstanding, it was affordably priced, as I recall, and the tour was quite big, lots of press, but A BIGGER BANG is just... yawn: a very poorly executed repeat.

I can only answer for Spotify, goes like this:

Top 5 streams, Stones (in million)
PIB 344
Satisfaction 242
Gimme Shelter 222
Sympathy 220
Start me up 200

In comparison to Beatles:
Here comes the sun 348
Come together 231
Let it be 197
Hey Jude 196
Yesterday 163

Led Zeppelin:
STH 344
Immigrant song 232
Whole lotta love 207
Good times Bad Times 126
Black dog 116

Pink Floyd:
Wish you were here 290
Another Brick in the Wall 282
Comfortably Numb 203
Money 182
Time 113

AC/DC has gone really well in the last few years, publicity has been good, you can see that in the streams as well:

Back in black 439
Highway to hell 433
Thunderstruck 412
Shook me all night long 301
TNT 202

U2 is not that strong within streaming as one might think:
With or without you 340
Beautiful day 206
Still havent found what Im looking for 204
One 176
Sunday, bloody Sunday 118

Some other interesting comparisons:

Aerosmith
Don't Wanna Miss a Thing 373
Deam On 312
Walk This Way 173
Sweet Emotion 137
Crazy 118

Bon Jovi
Livin' on a prayer 429
You give love a bad name 342
It's My Life 244
Always 155
Wanted Dead or Alive 135

Kiss
I was made for loving you 200
Rock and roll all nite 127
Detroit Rock City 66
Heaven's On Fire 65
Lick it up 24

Michael Jackson
Billie Jean 571
Beat it 350
Don't Matter to Me 316
Smooth Criminal 206
Don't Stop til You Get Enough 166

Creedence
have you ever seen the rain 380
Fortunate Son 374
Bad Moon Rising 225
Down on the corner 130
Up around the bend 85

Bob Dylan
Like a rolling stone 145
Knockin' on heaven's door 120
The times are a changing 105
Hurricane 86
Blowin in the wind 66

Bruce Springsteen
Dancing in the dark 194
Born in the USA 152
I'm on fire 135
Born to run 126
Streets of Philadelphia 102

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 17:19 by tiffanyblu.

Date: January 8, 2020 03:07

Doxa
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

HAVANA MOON belongs to a category of its own, although I dont't have exact numbers for it. But anyway, here they are, their best selling music videos/films, covering all (VHS, DVD, etc.) formats. Based again on database of chartmasters.org, and covering the sales by 2016:

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
20. REWIND 75 000

Plus there are estimated 1 050 000 sales covering additional releases, such as STONES IN EXILE, CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, HAVANA MOON and TOTALLY STRIPPED. Unfortunately those are not spesified.

- Doxa

That's very strange that GIMME SHELTER, LSTNT and REWIND have such low sales. LSTN was huge! REWIND had to've done well, better than 75,000, in 1984-85. It seems like everyone I knew had the LP and the video.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 10:31

Re streaming, how much do artists like The Stones earn per stream, anyone hazard a guess? And then THAT amount is divided amongst the band, yes?

Rod

Date: January 8, 2020 10:40

GasLightStreet
Doxa
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
20. REWIND 75 000

- Doxa

That's very strange that GIMME SHELTER, LSTNT and REWIND have such low sales. LSTN was huge! REWIND had to've done well, better than 75,000, in 1984-85. It seems like everyone I knew had the LP and the video.

Sweet Summer Sun selling as much as Gimme Shelter (the latter has been released twice) doesn't look right, either.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 8, 2020 11:16

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Doxa
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
20. REWIND 75 000

- Doxa

Sweet Summer Sun selling as much as Gimme Shelter (the latter has been released twice) doesn't look right, either.

Why? SSS would have been actually attended by many who bought it.no?

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 11:35 by bitusa2012.

Date: January 8, 2020 11:36

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Doxa
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
20. REWIND 75 000

- Doxa

Why? SSS would have been by many who bought it.

One reason might be that the SSS album/DVD-package is counted here. More people buy albums than DVDs. That might be it, actually.

Date: January 8, 2020 12:18

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

It could be very well that there are some problems in numbers.

However, if we still take those numbers as some kind of facts, some possible explanations in regard to your concerns, Skippy & Dandie.

Firstly, the Ashby movie was foremost a cinema release at the time. That was beginning of VHS era, and that was a hot thing early 80's for sure, but the actual sales of VHS movies wasn't that big yet. The VHS 'casettes' were relatively expensive, and they were mostly done for rental. I recall reading at the time that STONES IN THE PARK was actually the best selling early VHS music release (in Europe I guess), but the numbers of sold copies weren't very impressive - that low were the sales back then (I guess a lot of its numbers come from the US release some yaers ago). That I think also explains the low numbers for REWIND. I don't know if REWIND has ever re-released or does there even exist a DVD version. LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER seem to have re-released in different forms (under different names) around the world but rather low-profically and randomly. Both items seem to be nowadays rather forgotten 80's oddities, no matter how important they were at the time (and relaesing 1981/82 concerts in FROM THE VAULT series, surely didn't help to rise the need for AShby movie).

Secondly, what goes for GIMME SHELTER, I think the folklore reputation of an old movie does not translate so easily in big sales decades later of its hey-day, no matter how important or famous in rock history the film is. Those who want to 'own' the film mostly likely are hardcore Stones fans, and for that I think its sales are rather reasonable (in par with the long-waited re-release of LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, another much bootlegged movie). The selling point of SWEET SUMMER SUN I guess was that of currency and novelty, being a 'flavor of the month' kinda thing - it captured the current vibes of the Stones fans celebrating their 50 and COUNTING come back tour. However, it sales also reflect that the golden days of DVD era of the 00's have gone (FOUR FLICKS, THE BIGGEST BANG).

I think one of the tough lessons of video sales is that the nostalgia does not sell that well. Not even when the item in question is extraordinary. Think of ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS and SOME GIRLS IN TEXAS - both true treasures for hardcore fans, having superb material never seen before. I think especially the sales of R&R CIRCUS are surprisingly weak, taking its legendary fame, and the potential interest of not just Stones fans, but of the Beatles and Who fans as well. I recall someone claiming that its disappointing sales (in album form also) back in the 90's was the reason why Jagger lost the interest (for years) relaesing such vaults material.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 12:25 by Doxa.

Date: January 8, 2020 12:23

<having superb material never seen before>

This might be a reason, too: The fans already had most of these releases on bootlegs smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2020 12:38

DandelionPowderman

This might be a reason, too: The fans already had most of these releases on bootlegs smoking smiley

Well, I think that explains the cases like GIMME SHELTER and LADIES AND GENTS, but not, like I tried to point out, R&R CIRCUS or SOME GIRLS IN TEXAS. The content of those was not much bootlegged, if at all, prior their official release.

- Doxa

Date: January 8, 2020 13:09

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well, I think that explains the cases like GIMME SHELTER and LADIES AND GENTS, but not, like I tried to point out, R&R CIRCUS or SOME GIRLS IN TEXAS. The content of those was not much bootlegged, if at all, prior their official release.

- Doxa

True. Although we had the four first tracks on Live In Texas on DVD in ok quality.

Date: January 8, 2020 13:36

DandelionPowderman

One reason might be that the SSS album/DVD-package is counted here. More people buy albums than DVDs. That might be it, actually.

Hmm... I wouldn't be so sure about. The sales for live albums are very, very low, and had been since DVD took over. With the Stones that happened with FOUR FLICKS, it making an 'official' tour souvenir, its 1.1m sales out-selling those of LIVE LICKS (0.8m). Since then the sales seem to go hand in hand: SHINE A LIGHT sold 0.7m as an album and 0.6m as a DVD. Add there the sales of THE BIGGEST BANG (0.65m) to cover that tour. Back then the cost of DVD - especially those huge boxes - was clearly bigger than that of CD, so from the point of view of artist, no wonder which format they prefer. More money there. I wouldn't be surprised if FOUR FLICKS has been one of their best cashing products ever.

SWEET SUMMER SUN's sales are 300 000 both to CD and DVD. I don't know how they count those packages. My DVD, which I got from Santa Claus, does not contain a CD, however (if I recall right). Honestly, I have always thought SWEET SUMMER SUN nothing but a DVD release (although there was initially a download release, right?).

I have always felt that in the case of 'packages', the CD is an extra, but the DVD the major selling artifact. At least if I can choose to take a concert with or without footage, I will take it with it. winking smiley (Although the best scenario is to have both - like I have done with the FROM THE VAULT series).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 13:43 by Doxa.

Date: January 8, 2020 13:45

<My DVD, which I got from Santa Claus, does not contain a CD>

grinning smiley

Date: January 8, 2020 14:03

DandelionPowderman

grinning smiley

Yeah, the guy seem to have an access to holes in my Stones collection: a couple of years ago he surprised me with HAVANA MOON...grinning smiley

As far as I go, for me seeing the Stones live at Hyde Park and the Cuba film at cinema would have been enough, but seemingly Santa Claus decided differently...

- Doxa

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 8, 2020 14:45

bitusa2012

Re streaming, how much do artists like The Stones earn per stream, anyone hazard a guess? And then THAT amount is divided amongst the band, yes?

Streaming: costs vs. artists - see the various posts in this Thread: [iorr.org] .

Date: January 8, 2020 15:31

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Doxa
deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor

I had to...

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
5. 25X5 350 000
8. GIMME SHELTER 300 000
8. VOODOO LOUNGE 300 000
20. REWIND 75 000

- Doxa

GIMME SHELTER doesn't have a fake intro either...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 8, 2020 16:14

MWasilewski
Doxa

(...)

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
(...)

- Doxa

It's hard for me to believe that Shine a Light, directed by Martin Scorsese, with theatrical run and relatively large promotion, hasn't surpassed Four Flicks and Biggest Bang. Is is possible that these are the numbers of units sold (sales multiplied by number of discs)?

I think that is correct...I recall that analysis when Four Flicks was first released...it had sold an incredible number of units, but it was recorded as a multiple of the discs contained within.

That said, I recall the number being much higher so the 1.1 million may actually be the number of boxes sold. I can't recall for sure though.

Date: January 8, 2020 17:18

treaclefingers
MWasilewski
Doxa

(...)

1. FOUR FLICKS 1 100 000
3. SHINE A LIGHT 600 000
(...)

- Doxa

I think that is correct...I recall that analysis when Four Flicks was first released...it had sold an incredible number of units, but it was recorded as a multiple of the discs contained within.

That said, I recall the number being much higher so the 1.1 million may actually be the number of boxes sold. I can't recall for sure though.

Yeah, that of counting the copies sold is a bit confusing (the same was with double albums once upon a time ago). The last Certification Date of FOUR FLICKS by RIAA is from July 20, 2004. It had gained then, after being on sale for about half a year, 19xMulti-Platinum, that is, 1.9 million sales! A few months earlier, April 12, it had sold 1.1m.

The last - and the only - time THE BIGGEST BANG was certificated was in September 24, 2007, having only been about three months on sale. It had sold 0,7 million by then.

Huge numbers!

By contrast, within a few months (released October 12, 2010, certificated January 14, 2011) LADIES AND GENTLEMEN sold 0,1 million. GIMME SHELTER, released JUne 26, 1992, had sold by September 11, 1992 'only' 0.05 million. No certification for either items ever since.

And since it is RIAA (The Recording Industry Association of America) we are here talking mostly (only?) US sales. Could it be that the big numbers of FOUR FLICKS and THE BIGGEST BANG above are based on the amount of discs (within a box) sold? All the other numbers sound reasonable (for US sales within a few months) to match with the numbers on the chart I made above, but those two do not. This is to say that the 1.1m and 0.65m sales of FOUR FLICKS and THE BIGGEST BANG are the 'real' sold units (boxes, not discs).

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-08 17:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 8, 2020 19:50

Four Flicks and Biggest Bang is based on each DVD. Divide that # by 4 and you have the units sold.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home