Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The man who sculpted the Grateful Dead's sound
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 24, 2019 04:17

Interesting read. Must admit, I never paid attention to the nuances of the GD's live sound as, after a period of time at the shows I attended, their songs all sounded alike to me. Is there a similar such person for the Stones and has h/she ever been interviewed? On another note re the article, there's some cool pix of GD t-shirts through the years.

[www.gq.com]

Re: OT: The man who sculpted the Grateful Dead's sound
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 24, 2019 12:34

I saw the Dead several times in the 1980's when they became very trendy and baby boomers flocked on road trips to be at their concerts and recapture their hippie days. It was a lot of fun but it seemed that it was more about the experience of being there and wearing a cool tye-dye tee-shirt than about the music.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 24, 2019 14:32

otoh going to see the GD and not caring one bit about the music is a wise thing to do, right? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 24, 2019 15:43

dcba
otoh going to see the GD and not caring one bit about the music is a wise thing to do, right? >grinning smiley<

It was a buddy who took ('dragged') me to a couple of shows. It was more fun than I had thought and the music was okay...not exactly a rock and roll show. But it did 'turn me on' on to their music...a bit, lol...I remember them doing really nice and extended covers of Dylan songs.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 25, 2019 13:43

The title of this thread refers to the one and only virtuoso guitarist extradonar Captain Trips him self Jerry Garcia who was a wizard of the fretboard who could entertain us with his pyrotechnics up and down the length of his Doug Irwin made guitar .I miss Captain Trips so much !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2019 19:56

ThePaleRider
I remember them doing really nice and extended covers of Dylan songs.

Funny you mention this : I Dl'ed an early 80's Dead show where a bunch of classic obscure American songs were played. Guess what? It's the same songs Dylan would cover between 1988 and 1993 (alledgedly better). So the Dead should get more credit than they usually get, particularly for the influence they had on Dylan.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:06

Not a huge fan but have seen the GD and Dead & Co a few times. Lot's of fun. I did see "The Wall of Sound" tour in 1974.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:09

dcba
ThePaleRider
I remember them doing really nice and extended covers of Dylan songs.

Funny you mention this : I Dl'ed an early 80's Dead show where a bunch of classic obscure American songs were played. Guess what? It's the same songs Dylan would cover between 1988 and 1993 (alledgedly better). So the Dead should get more credit than they usually get, particularly for the influence they had on Dylan.

supposedly in 1989 Bob asked the Grateful Dead if he could join them and that the request was refused after a vote by band members.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:29

Dan Healy (guy this article is about) and Owsley Stanley (the grandfather of LSD and the guy that came up with the Steal Your Face logo) were both absolutely crucial for getting concert sound to where it is today. For the music geeks here, here's a great article on the Wall of Sound the GD devised: [enmoreaudio.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:42

How tragic. A state of the art sound system, years ahead of its time. Wasted on the worst group of all time. Meanwhile the Stones were just happy to get fold back speakers in '69 so they could at least hear themselves.

Now we don't even know if we have a decent stereo recording of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, from '66 or '67, Brian's last U.S. and European appearances with the original band.

Date: March 25, 2019 21:57

The worst group of all time! It's quite an accomplishment to suck that bad

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 25, 2019 22:00

24FPS
How tragic. A state of the art sound system, years ahead of its time. Wasted on the worst group of all time. Meanwhile the Stones were just happy to get fold back speakers in '69 so they could at least hear themselves.

Now we don't even know if we have a decent stereo recording of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, from '66 or '67, Brian's last U.S. and European appearances with the original band.

Worst group of all time? Speak for yourself! The GD established many protocols, procedures and practices in the business of rock'n'roll touring that are still prevelant today. There music is also timeless!
GFYS!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 25, 2019 22:40

spikenyc
24FPS

Worst group of all time? Speak for yourself! The GD established many protocols, procedures and practices in the business of rock'n'roll touring that are still prevelant today. There music is also timeless!
GFYS!

MY opinion of the Dead is they never played a bad song but rarely played anything really really good either. Everything they did was pretty good.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 26, 2019 05:41

"Casey Jones" and a few other songs aren't bad. There are worse bands.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 26, 2019 06:22

whoa that explains a LOT!
they needed a soundman and a sculptor answered the ad.
they are screwy up in frisco. i only say 'frisco' cause they REALLY hate
that abbreviation; it proves you're not from there or hip to there,
and are really disconnected from really respecting the San Fran scene.
frisco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 06:23 by hopkins.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 26, 2019 11:21

The Dead were awesome. At least they mixed it up from night to night, explaining why there are litterally hundreds of high quality live releases you can choose from while the Stones barely have 20, many with the same tired warhorses over and over again. If they played a city 3 nights in a row, it was extremely, extremely rare to hear a single song repeated.
As for the quality of the music, they have a shitton of great songs and great albums.

Don't understand the hate here, if you don't like the Dead, why do you click on this thread? Go listen to Time is on my Side for the millionth time, ok?!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 26, 2019 12:11

Would be cool if the Stones took a page from the GD and “broke out” a new song or two on the upcoming tour. We’ll soon see...thumbs up

Date: March 26, 2019 17:22

They had variety, encouraged audience taping and sharing and had a cult following for the social experience.

Stones could take a note or two... on experience versus $$$$.

Still going to the NA tour this year and right after that Dead & Company.grinning smiley

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 26, 2019 17:34

Jerry said it best - "The Dead are like black licorice, not everybody likes it"
>grinning smiley<

Date: March 26, 2019 18:23

For the record, i love the Grateful Dead. It took all the individual members to make it work but Garcia was really one of a kind.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 18:47

but those who like -really like it!

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: March 26, 2019 23:24

Gaetzi
Dan Healy (guy this article is about) and Owsley Stanley (the grandfather of LSD and the guy that came up with the Steal Your Face logo) were both absolutely crucial for getting concert sound to where it is today. For the music geeks here, here's a great article on the Wall of Sound the GD devised: [enmoreaudio.com]

Not to take anything away from Dan, Owsley or the Alembic crew, but the template for the wall of sound and all modern concert touring systems came from Bob Heil.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home