Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: When And Where Did Your Love For The Stones Begin ?
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 25, 2019 07:01

I was born in 1965. They were part of the soundtrack to my life. I had older siblings and cousins who played their records, and they were always on the radio. I dubbed a copy of Hot Rocks onto a blank cassette and played it over and over until it was burned into my synapses. One of my brothers had a copy of Some Girls. I loved the die-cut cover and their spin on Punk Rock and Country Twang. The first album I bought was a second hand copy of It's Only Rock 'n Roll. I dug the cover art. They were on a star trip, but didn't seem too self-conscious about it. They just seemed cool. By my early teens I was starting to experiment with alcohol and weed, and the music was a great accompaniment for that. A couple of years later, my Dad scored me front row seats and backstage passes for me and my friends to see them on the Tattoo You Tour. It was Big Time for a 16 year old kid. I was in for life.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 08:35

I was late to the party. Started discovering older stuff when I grew up in the 80s (F.Mac, Hendrix Beatles) and in 1988, while Keith released his solo record, I discovered Roy Carr's Discography about the Stones and bought Beggars Banquet immediately. Well, that was it. First show in Frankfurt 1990 and the rest is history.....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 25, 2019 09:41

It was when I saw Honky Tonk Women on Top Of The Pops in July 1969. It was my first time to see or hear the group. I was 10 years old and it was instant love. I faithfully named them as my favourite band and never wavered despite having to wait more than 18 months for the next single in 1971. When Brown Sugar came out I not only bought the three track single, (which included Let It Rock), but Sticky Fingers was my first ever album purchase.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 25, 2019 12:28

Great idea for a thread BTW
I think the very very first germ of my personal Stones odyssey was my parents disdain for Tumbling Dice when it was no 2 in the UK charts in 1972
Anything they hated so much had to be good ha ha
My Dad was disparaging about Mick's "look" and they both hated the music
They must have been over the moon when the next year I asked for GHS for my 15th birthday
The rest is history

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 25, 2019 14:21

That makes me smile ...Similar tale for me too .

About the same time too .

[Scruffy long haired layabouts ....and what a bloody racket ! ]

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 15:06

1965 when I heard "The Last Time". I was 10 y.o.

Posted by: fanch ()
Date: March 25, 2019 15:07

My sister (5 years older than me) had borrow the LP "Get yer ya-ya's out" to her best friend in 1976 and didn't bring it back. And few month later I find it and was really intrigued by the photo of Charlie jumping with 2 guitars in front of a donkey ! And really loved the back layout with all the photos.

So I listened to it and on and on I had learned to love Keith rhythmic guitar, Mick's solo guitar, Charlie & Bill beat and Mick's voice.

And 43 years later I'm going too see another Stones show in Boston with my wife & my 2 daughters.

It's only R'n'R but we all like it !!!!

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 25, 2019 15:20

First Stones song I clearly remember hearing was JJF. My Dad gave me his collection of records because I just got one of those CD, radio, record, AUX, cassette Victrolas for my 14th birthday. I found Hot Rocks in it and decided to put it on. I put the needle down and heard the opening riff of JJF. It was mind blowing. That was the first vinyl record I ever heard and since then I've become the biggest Stones fan in my area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 15:21 by CJFP.

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: March 25, 2019 15:53

With their first album in 1964

(I was 16 years old)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home