Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
why dont the Rolling Stones play much music from there past?
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 23, 2019 03:33

I was thinking the other day,why dont the Stones play music from when it all started.
I would love to here stuff like walking the dog,spider and the fly,I wanna be your man.all that kind of stuff

why dont they play songs from 64,65?Is to hard to play?not good live for big concerts,people don t want to hear the really old stuff?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 03:38 by mandu.

Re: why dont the Rolling Stones play much music from there past?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2019 05:31

They're lazy. The audience is lazy. They can't play some of them as well as they did. There's more money in giving the rubes the big hits.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 23, 2019 08:47

24FPS
They're lazy. The audience is lazy. They can't play some of them as well as they did. There's more money in giving the rubes the big hits.

You don't know they can't play some of them as well as they did, for the simple reason they don't play them.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 23, 2019 10:03

They do actually rehearse some of these old songs before tours, but they do it for themselves. They know stadium fans will go and buy beer or play with their mobile phones so they stick with JJF BS and the songs normal fans do want to hear. Hard core fans like you and me have to live with that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 23, 2019 10:12

Not definitely true, BV.
I have some personal memories of people fascinted by some old/unusual songs played live like Shine A Light, As Tears Go by, Sweet Virginia, Angie and more...
No fans moved away when they played Con Le Mie Lacrime!
New songs are dangerous, in my opinion: am I spending one week off my job to listed to Love Train or Chantilly Lace? Well, it's time for a beer...
IMO, no need to say,
bye everybody

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 23, 2019 10:41

What can someone say about such titel? I'm age 69, bought first LP in '66. I've seen every tour they did in Europe since '73. What I've seen during the tours is the songs: HTW, SFM,SFTD,LIB,JJF,MR, during alllllll the tours they did till today, and than we come in the seventies: I'm not going to tell what they play every concert till today. I've seen them enough, and Miss You? I'm fed up with that song! IMO is a song for someone to smoke something! I'm not going to see them anymore. Conclution for me nowadays: A LIVING JUKE-BOX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 10:47 by tioms.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: March 23, 2019 10:51

I would agree that stadium audiences might go for a beer if the Stones started playing Spider and the Fly but anything on the compilations would hold their attention, e.g. The Last Time, It's All Over Now, 19th Nervous Breakdown. It would be good to hear them sometimes. To be fair Get Off My Cloud and Under My Thumb do get regular outings.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 23, 2019 13:15

rebelrebel
I would agree that stadium audiences might go for a beer if the Stones started playing Spider and the Fly but anything on the compilations would hold their attention, e.g. The Last Time, It's All Over Now, 19th Nervous Breakdown. It would be good to hear them sometimes. To be fair Get Off My Cloud and Under My Thumb do get regular outings.

I don't agree. If they play "Spider & Fly" or "19th Nervous" then they will meet 95% blank faces. People want to hear what they hear 100 times on the radio unfortunately. Many fans were not even born in the early 60's, or they were still with diapers.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 23, 2019 15:22

Respectfully disagree on 19th...
It would be very well received, especially if it’s rocked up

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 15:23 by Kurt.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2019 15:25

24FPS

we're the Rube Tuesdays

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 23, 2019 15:34

bv
rebelrebel

I don't agree. If they play "Spider & Fly" or "19th Nervous" then they will meet 95% blank faces. People want to hear what they hear 100 times on the radio unfortunately. Many fans were not even born in the early 60's, or they were still with diapers.

But songs like Sway, Rocks Off, Memory Motel, All Down The Line and Beast Of Burden are very rarely played live, but when they are, they get a huge reception from the crowd.
There are many songs that are not Warhorses that could replace some worn out Warhorses like IORR , Miss You, HTW, Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW in my opinion.

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: March 23, 2019 15:36

I would love to hear the Stones play some of their "roots" songs like Tell Me, You Better Move On, Route 66,It's All Over Now, etc. They could maybe play 5 of those songs out of their 19-21 song set list. This may be more suitable in an arena than a stadium environment.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 23, 2019 16:17

keithsman
bv
rebelrebel

But songs like Sway, Rocks Off, Memory Motel, All Down The Line and Beast Of Burden are very rarely played live, but when they are, they get a huge reception from the crowd.
There are many songs that are not Warhorses that could replace some worn out Warhorses like IORR , Miss You, HTW, Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW in my opinion.

They are only worn out if you go to many many shows and are tired of doing so in which case stay at home.The vast majority of attendees at shows have never seen the band before.

Nate

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 23, 2019 16:47

What's that saying? You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

They're locked into their formula. It generates enough interest to grease the wheels of their operation. Not many older artists are comfortable with reinventing the wheel night after night. Neil Young does a pretty good job of it. Not many others.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 23, 2019 16:52

They are criticized for playing "warhorses" to death, but they often ignore a few of their famous songs from Hot Rocks. Mother's Little Helper, Ruby Tuesday, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Play With Fire, Time is on My Side, etc.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 23, 2019 17:17

I too think 19th NB would be great. Also think Mothers Little Helper would go down a storm. ‘What a drag it is getting old...”

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: March 23, 2019 17:23

bv
rebelrebel

Wasn't that song regulary played on the Bridges To Babylon tour, the early shows? I wasn't there, but I know the Stones, if the audience dislikes a song, they would drop it fast. I think they played it for at least 20 or so shows?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 23, 2019 18:47

from 1989 they have been playing older songs. The Last Time, Play With Fire, Its All Over Now...etc...the list goes on and on.

Date: March 23, 2019 19:02

They do nothing BUT play songs from their past. The very early R&B numbers are always worked into the set. They used to make a point to have 1-2 Ch Berry numbers; always some Blues. Nowadays they do 2 cuts from B&L. In a stadium of 50,000 fans there is only so much time allotted for some oldtime rockn roll. people have paid big bucks to get 'Brown Sugar" and "Honky Tonks"
Maybe the question should be "why don't they play more small club shows where they CAN play more numbers from their far past?"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 23, 2019 19:21

What about the people that take beer/bathroom breaks during Keef's set since 1989. Somehow this is acceptable? I'm not in agreement of the idea they must play only hits. They could do Lady Jane or Play With Fire, songs like this, many people know them. Sure there's only a small percentage of us in the audience waiting for deep cuts but they could mix it up a little in my opinion.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 23, 2019 20:25

I've been lucky enough to see them do a few rarities, but yes there were a few blank faces around me. Most recently Fool To Cry at London Stadium last year.
They largely play safe as they are still filling 50,000 seater stadiums.
However I personally have seen them do Salt Of The Earth, She Was Hot, I Go Craxy (James Brown tribute), Let It Bleed, She's So Cold, Ruby Tuesday, It's All Over Now

Date: March 23, 2019 20:36

Nate
keithsman
bv
rebelrebel

They are only worn out if you go to many many shows and are tired of doing so in which case stay at home.The vast majority of attendees at shows have never seen the band before.

Nate

That has to be the most ridiculous post I've ever read on iorr.
I just explained to you that the Stones have such a vast volume of music that they have Warhorses to replace Warhorses, the songs i mention above go down brilliantly at shows they are played at. People who have never seen the Stones live before enjoy Sway, Rocks Off, Memory Motel, All Down The Line and Beast Of Burden, so they could keep those tracks in the setlist and replace the tired ones they keep playing over and over again. It's called being creative, its giving some credit to your audience that they appreciate a bit more depth in your Catalogue. Do you know something, the measure of appreciating a song isn't down to how hard a audience claps or hollers, i've seen the most amazing performances from the Stones with a lack luster audience, and a terrible show that has had the audience rocking. Audiences are audiences, look at South America, they would go crazy if Mick sat down and sang Mary Had a Little Lamb, doesn't mean it's the best performance.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 23, 2019 22:12

They might surprise us this year as it IS LAST USA tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 22:12 by babyblue.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 23, 2019 22:17

babyblue, I thought the same thing in Europe last year. However, I feel there's a better chance in the USA. Anyhow, I suppose this thread is starting to sound like the setlist complaints one. Though very relevant. We continue to have hope for rarities.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 23, 2019 22:20

They used to throw in unusual songs from time to time, but not in the last few years. It may be a combination of audience feedback and a lighter touring schedule (fewer concerts to mix in surprises).

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 24, 2019 02:20

marianna
They used to throw in unusual songs from time to time, but not in the last few years. It may be a combination of audience feedback and a lighter touring schedule (fewer concerts to mix in surprises).[/quote

Unusual songs.... lol

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2019 03:11

It's their party ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 24, 2019 03:19

Seeing them play Around and Around in Newark in ‘12 was a wicked treat and the arena went nuts. They can safely dust off a lot of early stuff whenever they want. Emphasis on ‘they want’ I suppose.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 24, 2019 03:35

Shawn20
They are criticized for playing "warhorses" to death, but they often ignore a few of their famous songs from Hot Rocks. Mother's Little Helper, Ruby Tuesday, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Play With Fire, Time is on My Side, etc.

They're not stupid.

The early songs are from their initial era.

That ended in 1967 with two albums - BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST.

Sure, they've played LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday, Connection, 2000 Light Years and She's A Rainbow since 1981, with exception to LSTNT, none of those are regular songs in a set list. with 3 of them being sub-hits in context of their set lists.

Which of those has been played the most? It's easy - LSTNT.

Anything pre-BTB is just going to be the biggest songs, hence Satisfaction and The Last Time, with some tracks like Under My Thumb, Get Off My Cloud and... what, when's the last time they played 19th?

I would love to hear a plethora of tracks from 1964-1966. Hell, even some BTB tracks other than the usual.

But they aren't what THE STONES are, which really starts with Jumpin' Jack Flash through Waiting On A Friend.

If they were to play a small venue it would be easier for them to haul out Flight 505, Stupid Girl and a few others... but that will never happen.

Date: March 24, 2019 11:28

Rockman
It's their party ….

And maybe the fans pay for the party winking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home