Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rock and Roll Circus to be shown in US Theaters
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 4, 2019 16:18

Have to add that John was simply outstanding. Yoko, what can I say? I never got it.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 4, 2019 16:41

Is it gonna be shown in uk?

Answers on a postcard please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-04 16:42 by Monkeytonkman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 4, 2019 17:40

"Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus" director recalls origin of show’s title and of supergroup The Dirty Mac

BY ABC News Radio | April 3, 2019

A restored version of the star-studded 1968 concert special Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is being screened this week in select U.S. theaters.

In celebration of the presentations, a special screening and Q&A event featuring the special’s director, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and cinematographer Tony Richmond was held Monday in New York City.

Lindsay-Hogg revealed that the program’s title came to him while he doodled circles on a sketchpad.

“The god of titles landed in my head and said seven words to me,” Michael recalled. “And then I called Mick Jagger up and I said, ‘I’m gonna say seven words to you. Let me know what you think’…And I said, ‘The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.’ And that was it.”

Lindsay-Hogg says the title inspired the direction of the show, which featured The Rolling Stones as ringmasters of a surreal circus that included performances by The Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and the supergroup The Dirty Mac, featuring John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Jimi Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell.

According to Lindsay-Hogg, The Dirty Mac came together after Steve Winwood, who was supposed to put together his own supergroup, dropped out of the show a few days before filming. At first, they considered Paul McCartney as a replacement, but reached out to Lennon instead, who agreed to perform and suggested Clapton, Richards and Mitchell.

Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was originally intended to air on British TV shortly after it was filmed, but was shelved until 1996. Richmond confirmed the often-told reason why: The Rolling Stones weren’t happy with their performance, and felt The Who played better than they had.

To buy tickets to upcoming screenings, visit RockandRollCircustheFilm.com.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 4, 2019 19:12

I'm sure Mick in interviews 1968/9 had floated the idea of replacing standard concerts with a Circus type show.
So one that wasnt just about music.
Perhaps a throw back to public entertainment in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Never really happened.
The Band's Last Waltz had some poetry readings, I recall.
Really most rock music fans are incredibly conservative.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: April 5, 2019 02:35

I tried to go see this last night but I couldn't make it. It was only 15 minutes from my house here in the suburbs of Detroit. There is no other showings. I wish I knew about this the 1st. I did absolutely nothing. I wanted to go to see if maybe Brian's guitar was more audible. Did anyone see it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 02:35 by ovalvox.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 5, 2019 22:47

ovalvox
I tried to go see this last night but I couldn't make it. It was only 15 minutes from my house here in the suburbs of Detroit. There is no other showings. I wish I knew about this the 1st. I did absolutely nothing. I wanted to go to see if maybe Brian's guitar was more audible. Did anyone see it?

I saw it. I didn't notice Brian's guitar to be more audible. The sound was amazing though. You could even hear the crackle of the fire when the guy was twirling the torches. The picture wasn't good at all though, at least not in my theater. Very grainy. Looked worse than the quality of the existing DVD. In fact, it kinda seemed like that's all it was, just the DVD on screen, especially with the Pete Townshend interview from said DVD being included. It certainly didn't look restored. Maybe just the transfer to such a big screen doesn't translate very well. But again, the sound was pretty damn good.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 7, 2019 01:49

This thread inspired me to watch my DVD after several years. Jeeez...Such great stuff. A shame Mick the perfectionist wouldn't let us see it for so many years. Brian looks blissful in all his shots. In the bonus commentary, Pete says he was crying but all I see is smiles...for whatever reason. And, yes, you can hear him. He and Keith seem to play the riff to JJF together, his slide in NE (and his right hand) is sublime. In "Can't Always Get" you can hear him strumming while Keith does some chunky licks. Bill shines in Sympathy, not that anybody asked. A true document of its time. Little did we know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-07 01:51 by bleedingman.

Date: April 11, 2019 21:21

There will also be some screenings in Canada, starting today: [www.tribute.ca]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 11, 2019 21:53

Many thanks, Cristiano!

Date: April 11, 2019 22:42

SomeTorontoGirl
Many thanks, Cristiano!

You're very welcome! smileys with beer

Nice interview with Michael Lindsay-Hogg on the website of Rock Cellar Magazine:

Inside the Rolling Stones’ ‘Rock and Roll Circus’ with Director Michael Lindsay-Hogg

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 14, 2019 20:52

Cristiano Radtke
SomeTorontoGirl
Many thanks, Cristiano!

You're very welcome! smileys with beer

Nice interview with Michael Lindsay-Hogg on the website of Rock Cellar Magazine:

Inside the Rolling Stones’ ‘Rock and Roll Circus’ with Director Michael Lindsay-Hogg

Good interview.
One factual error. In reference to Steve Winwood. He seems to suggest that Traffic weren't formed at this point. In fact they broke up a few months later (early 69).

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:11

So is Brian audible in this restored version?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:19

Sacke

Same audio mix as DVD/VHS release.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: April 14, 2019 21:31

His Majesty
Sacke

Same audio mix as DVD/VHS release.

Thank you!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home