Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brian Jones Leaves Rolling Stones [ROLLING STONE Article 1969]
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 07:54

Rolling Stone magazine article from July 1969 about Brian leaving the group and Mick talking about their new guitarist, Mick Taylor.

Probably the saddest read from the article:
Neither Jones nor Jagger revealed what Jones is planning for the future. Said Mick: “He’s gotta do his own thing, man, and he hasn’t said anything to us about it.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Brian Jones Leaves Rolling Stones [ROLLING STONE Article 1969]
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 22, 2019 08:47

Did the Colosseum shows ever happen?

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 09:14

Yes, L.A. 1989

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 22, 2019 09:19

Maindefender
Did the Colosseum shows ever happen?

No, they did not. Seemingly there was (at least one point) an idea to re-make ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS there, since they weren't satisfied with the original plus, of course, after Brian's departure, there was no point releasing it any longer.

Seemingly the plans were changed for doing it at Hyde Park, filmed for TV again. And even broadcasted this time.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 09:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: March 22, 2019 09:20

I love what Brian contributed to the Stones for sure. Everything I’ve read about his departure and what his plans were after the Stones seems like half baked ideas and not much else.

Edit: and I know he didn’t have much time left after he left the Stones. I just mean he wasn’t a songwriter and in his condition at that time, I doubt his prospects of a new band were good, even if he supposedly had big name musicians in mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 09:28 by keefgotsoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 22, 2019 09:34

keefgotsoul
Everything I’ve read about his departure and what his plans were after the Stones seems like half baked ideas and not much else.

Edit: and I know he didn’t have much time left after he left the Stones. I just mean he wasn’t a songwriter and in his condition at that time, I doubt his prospects of a new band were good, even if he supposedly had big name musicians in mind.

Yep, I've read a lot of speculations about whatever kind of plans (a supergroup with Lennon and Hendrix, joining Humble Pie, etc.), but as far as I know the most concrete thing was that of touring in Europe with Alexis Korner's band, but Alexis refused his offer, because he saw Brian was not in a condition for doing that.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 09:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2019 11:20

The few that actually jammed with him during his post stones period don't paint all that positive a picture. Aimless bluesy jams with no direction or ideas.

I think a major future problem for Brian, assuming he would have got a band together, is that of the inevitable comparisons to The Rolling Stones. I just don't see things going so well that he could really compete with the Taylor Stones. Would he have been able to handle those constant comparisons?

Were I friend of his, I would have suggested focusing on getting healthy etc before embarking on anything musical. He was mentally and physically battered. Ride out the rest of the 60's on a positive lifestyle change and come out fighting in the new decade. Perhaps in a different musical related role.

With a life more balanced, he was perfect for the role as a producer that could add some musical magic dust to peoples recordings. Quite a lucrative job to have too.

Anyway, Alexis was close to him during that time. Here's what he had to say in early 70's.

[www.youtube.com]

Not saying this is anything like what Brian had in his head, but Alexis's early 70's blues based mixed genre music with not so strong songs sounded like this:

[www.youtube.com]

It's good in it's own way, but also some what indistinct from a whole lot of other music from the time.

Alexis seems like part Brian and part Keith btw. The polite and the rugged. grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 11:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: March 22, 2019 12:28

I can't go into detail now, and eventually it will come out, trust me, but if Brian had survived the fight at the pool that did him in, his future was doomed anyway.

Date: March 22, 2019 12:36

paulspendel
I can't go into detail now, and eventually it will come out, trust me, but if Brian had survived the fight at the pool that did him in, his future was doomed anyway.

Health? Legal? Personal safety?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 22, 2019 12:53

At the of the 60's and up to the end of the 70's, to be a Rockstar/rockmusician meant, for lot of them, to be wasted on drugs and alcohol. It would have been very difficult in that context for Brian to get cleaned; yes it seems that his future was doomed.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: March 22, 2019 13:33

Legal.

Date: March 22, 2019 13:41

paulspendel
Legal.

Interesting. smileys with beer

Date: March 22, 2019 13:46

Yes,and frightening.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 22, 2019 16:07

paulspendel
Legal.

Please elaborate

Date: March 22, 2019 16:22

In good time.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 22, 2019 16:50

Doxa

Yep, I've read a lot of speculations about whatever kind of plans (a supergroup with Lennon and Hendrix, joining Humble Pie, etc.), but as far as I know the most concrete thing was that of touring in Europe with Alexis Korner's band, but Alexis refused his offer, because he saw Brian was not in a condition for doing that.

- Doxa

In October 1969 I talked with Alexis Korner about Brian and Alexis did this very politely, you understand.

It's said that Mike Leckebusch from German TV Radio Bremen initially had the idea
of letting Brian do a solo performance in his show "Musikladen" but he also noticed Brian's horrible condition.
The rest is history.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 22, 2019 19:53

"Brian Jones Leaves Rolling Stones"

I thought he was dead. It has been fake news all the time.

Date: March 22, 2019 20:16

My goodness, what bad taste.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 22, 2019 20:39

JordyLicks96
Neither Jones nor Jagger revealed what Jones is planning for the future. Said Mick: “He’s gotta do his own thing, man, and he hasn’t said anything to us about it.”

I think it´s this:

"Jagger invited Taylor to do a session with the Stones at the Barnes studios,
where the Stones have cut 17 tracks for their next two albums."

Today it´s the other way round.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 22, 2019 20:47

mtaylor
"Brian Jones Leaves Rolling Stones"

I thought he was dead. It has been fake news all the time.

I know it's 50 years ago but try and keep up.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2019 21:02

It's all speculative what Brian would have done, or could have done. At that point he was an okay rhythm player at best, not exactly a sought after position at that time, in the day and age of gun slinger guitarists. Who knows if he could have cleaned up and smartened up. Now he's just an object for people to write conspiracies about. He might have had legal problems, with all those kids to support, and a lifestyle that the money was going to dry up on very soon. Plus all his Stones history and royalties (as they were) were tied up with Allen Klein, not an envious position to be in.

Twenty Seven has proven to be a dangerous age, survive it and you can resurrect yourself, but you'd have to cut down at least on drugs and alcohol. People forget that Keith was the only serious abuser out of the original bunch. Mick seems to have had limits, only dabbling with Heroin, not making it a career. Charlie and Bill seemed happy with cigarettes and a couple drinks to make it through the night.

I don't know if Brian was involved with heroin. He seemed to be mainly a lush near the end. With cocaine and smack gaining steam at that time, it's questionable whether Brian could have resisted.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 22:08

its sad brian could not see the road he was going down, he could have cleaned up and remained a vital part of the band, dont think they would have kicked out a functioning brian jones.

i just dont think brian would have moved on to greater things than what he done with the stones.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:12

TooTough
JordyLicks96

I think it´s this:

"Jagger invited Taylor to do a session with the Stones at the Barnes studios,
where the Stones have cut 17 tracks for their next two albums."

Today it´s the other way round.

I mean they do actually have about 20 tracks or so recorded right now it's just they really don't have a grasp on what they exactly want to do with them as far as mixes go.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:25

If he'd lived, Brian would have had the taxman after him. He was heavily in debt at the time of his death and even a pay off (which Klein would have probably resisted) wouldn't have covered all his liabilities.
And unlike his former band mates, his earning power was significantly reduced.
With his legal problems any escape to a tax haven might have been problematical.

Date: March 22, 2019 23:32

24FPS
People forget that Keith was the only serious abuser out of the original bunch.

I don't know if Brian was involved with heroin. He seemed to be mainly a lush near the end. With cocaine and smack gaining steam at that time, it's questionable whether Brian could have resisted.

The prescribed drugs Brian was taking was just as serious. That on top of his alcoholism.

There are some hints Brian might have dabbled with heroin. Two unexpected sources being Stu and Macca. Keith ponders it in the Barbara Charone book, but quickly moves on to saying it's not what @#$%& Brian up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 00:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 22, 2019 23:47

No musician in this world will ever move on to greater things than being a Rolling Stone, including Brian...………………………...or being a sideman/woman like Chuck or Lisa in the band.
The ultimate band member of any band.
Over the years since 1962 ,a talented group of people can say, 'I was, or am, a Rolling Stone band member'.

Of course Ian Stewart was there from the very start,but a few more since then. smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2019 05:35

crawdaddy
No musician in this world will ever move on to greater things than being a Rolling Stone, including Brian...………………………...or being a sideman/woman like Chuck or Lisa in the band.
The ultimate band member of any band.
Over the years since 1962 ,a talented group of people can say, 'I was, or am, a Rolling Stone band member'.

Of course Ian Stewart was there from the very start,but a few more since then. smileys with beer

That's why I think Bill was smart to not even try. He eventually did a low key thing that was in no way in competition with his old group. And he put out a fantastic solo album just a couple years back.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 24, 2019 08:08

paulspendel
In good time.

Hi Paul, how long is in good time? Are we talking weeks, months, years? I mean Brian has been gone 50 years now!

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: March 24, 2019 08:11

paulspendel
In good time.

It’s been 50 years since Brian died... what possible ramifications legal or otherwise would even exist at this point?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2019 08:20

there's a couple of Pythons pretty pissed
about their mother ending up in Brian's boots …….

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home