Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What’s your opinion of the Steel Wheels tour?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 24, 2019 18:23

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Fortunately the Stones have never had a "comeback" tour. They never broke up so... STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE, even with hindsight, were awsome.

Not officially, but having not toured in 6 years and coming off a very dire album and WWIII, it was the closest thing to a comeback tour I believe we ever got.

I recall feeling a bit relieved they we're cranking it up again.
That period between '86 and '89 is a VERY blurry line between being broken up and not.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 25, 2019 00:49

hot smileyKEEF ON FIRE

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 25, 2019 06:54

i thought Guns and Roses was a lot better.
I never went to a stadium concert again.
it's not just that; i'd seen them in stadium get aced by Stevie Wonder too.
But I've seen them ace anything or anybody that ever walked, crawled or flew around, or on, the planet Earth always, so there's that.
i like them better now. that was a nightmare.
a sad way to say my personal goodbye to Bill.
But Guns was peaking; and louder and more clear.
i'd say the seal your deal on the big revue deal.
They are not Ike and Tina in that regard, nor have they Memphis Horn
kinda soul thing down really; it's kind of 'bland' would be my general impression;
but i'd like to hear some good songs; they are them, there's got to be some good hard working efforts that scored; and i'm interested; but honestly not too very; i'm not fond of that general period; nor sure how long 'that general period' was, or is.
not a highlight, that's for sure.
tho the tour itself, as a deep fan, lol, well a super interested fanatic,
i'd love to see some links for good performances that tour...
i didn't even have an interest in Guns to be honest;
that whole scene and era was not very interesting to me; tho that first Guns record was terrific no doubt; clint eastwood movie helped that first hit.
nope; sw not the good stones stuff imo. but not very well informed.
i had that one show impression and left early;
i don't like stadiums; the boys are making sure i have a limo, if not a copter, for pasadena; i told their management i don't want to meet them; send some food to my Seat; and it must be in front of BV's that was my only requirement.
i'm waiting to hear back and will let you know...
they are not rehearsing at my hosue; i don't care how many times he calls;
and it's unfair of him to always pull that 'I'm a knight i can have you killed' shit; knock it off mick; i want at least one new one at my show. thanks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2019 18:44

hopkins

A good band to be sure, but come on.

Date: March 25, 2019 23:55

treaclefingers
hopkins

i think i understand; they are comparatively a gnat in one of the 2nd line players socks as far as comparative historical relevance.
Or groove. or connection to rolling American boogie hard blues.
by the time drummer Steven Adler quit, (or was dumped cuz drugs or watever), i was well past them.
but that night in los angeles; they were stunning and ferocious.
everything good about them had come together; whoever was mixing their sound;
i'm sure a Stones guy was all over the main boards, was super excellent.

imo there is not even a valid sonic comparison that could be made to the very noisy crowd on The Stones stage;
i'm sure up close Mick Jagger and those guys are incapable of being less than fascinating at work; i'm a true fan and admire every time they step up do this anywhere...
... did then too; wasn't pissed off or stunned or anything.
i didn't dig even the up tempo numbers like 'flip the switch'
which ARE good....that's on me; i'd had them do so much better versions of the same kinda 1.4.5 thing
in originals and covers and change the atmospherics in any nearby region; so i'm a believer and guns don't belong in the same sentence historically
or groove-wise; but that first record; and all those club gigs; and whatever the hell Geffen put around them in the way
of production and sound guys; was awesome; they used that whole stadium like seasoned pros;
i don't even really have interest in axl or any of them personally as a fan; but they, to my ears,
and i went to The Stones show;
not the 'warm-up act show,' but credit where it's due; they were ferocious and perfect and ON it. imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 00:02 by hopkins.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 26, 2019 06:47

hopkins
treaclefingers
hopkins

i think i understand; they are comparatively a gnat in one of the 2nd line players socks as far as comparative historical relevance.
Or groove. or connection to rolling American boogie hard blues.
by the time drummer Steven Adler quit, (or was dumped cuz drugs or watever), i was well past them.
but that night in los angeles; they were stunning and ferocious.
everything good about them had come together; whoever was mixing their sound;
i'm sure a Stones guy was all over the main boards, was super excellent.

imo there is not even a valid sonic comparison that could be made to the very noisy crowd on The Stones stage;
i'm sure up close Mick Jagger and those guys are incapable of being less than fascinating at work; i'm a true fan and admire every time they step up do this anywhere...
... did then too; wasn't pissed off or stunned or anything.
i didn't dig even the up tempo numbers like 'flip the switch'
which ARE good....that's on me; i'd had them do so much better versions of the same kinda 1.4.5 thing
in originals and covers and change the atmospherics in any nearby region; so i'm a believer and guns don't belong in the same sentence historically
or groove-wise; but that first record; and all those club gigs; and whatever the hell Geffen put around them in the way
of production and sound guys; was awesome; they used that whole stadium like seasoned pros;
i don't even really have interest in axl or any of them personally as a fan; but they, to my ears,
and i went to The Stones show;
not the 'warm-up act show,' but credit where it's due; they were ferocious and perfect and ON it. imo.

thumbs up

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 26, 2019 14:04

Atlantic City and From the vault Tokyo are really great.

Live at the max not so great. Id say their worst live video release.

Flaspoint falls somewhere in the middle. Sexdrive and Highwire are killer.

Date: March 26, 2019 14:59

I have to add that Cant Be Seen from Flashpoint is my favourite version of the song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2019 17:15

rebelhipi
I have to add that Cant Be Seen from Flashpoint is my favourite version of the song.

That's hilarious considering there is only one other version. Horrible song, really, but live it was a bit better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2019 17:50

treaclefingers
keefriff99
Am I the only one who doesn't like Live at the Max?

I've never actually seen it on an IMAX screen, but watching it on a TV is painful. Everything about it feels artificial. There are some cool moments, but overall, it comes off like a digital simulation of a Stones concert.

twas great on imax.

It was fantastic on that giant screen and the loud speakers.

The artificial aspects of it... there were a lot of screwups when filming live, so they filmed them miming to those recorded shows, which are glaringly obvious, like when Mick is 300 feet from the mic during a part of Ruby Tuesday and Keith's fingers magically don't play the licks in the intro of Honky Tonk Women - the whole Keith intro is a fix. [www.youtube.com]

With the fixes it's probably the only time Mick has ever had to imitate himself, on command.

Although it's never said or shown, they must've had someone filming the live show for reference points for the fixes... unless they didn't anticipate having so many screwups.

About 2:30 in and then more later, not-live filming live screwups...

[www.youtube.com]

There's an ad for INXS. I forgot how huge they were.

Part 3 shows the Keith Satisfaction solo fix, Charlie attempting to play what he did live... ha ha ha ha ha. IORR intro, Keith just goes into the chugging while the recording he's still finessing the opening licks... Mick standing a long ways away from the mic for Ruby Tuesday.

Possibly one of the more intricate giggles of that movie was Mick's screwup in IORR - they left it.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 17:52 by GasLightStreet.

Date: March 27, 2019 00:04

GasLightStreet
rebelhipi

That's hilarious considering there is only one other version. Horrible song, really, but live it was a bit better.
Theres the steel wheels one. Both from the vault tokyo 1990 ones. And various live clips from previous tours ive watched on youtube.

Cant be seen is actually one of my fav keith tunes.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 27, 2019 14:57

rebelhipi
GasLightStreet
rebelhipi

Theres the steel wheels one. Both from the vault tokyo 1990 ones. And various live clips from previous tours ive watched on youtube.

Cant be seen is actually one of my fav keith tunes.

I like it. Never thought it is horrible one iota. One of better, if not the best, Keith songs IMHO. Each to one’s own.
Nowadays I’d rather love to hear it live than Happy, BTMMR or Slipping Away. All of them were played to death, getting to the stage I feel bored now I’m afraid.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: March 27, 2019 15:07

Jagger’s haircut was awful

Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: March 28, 2019 02:52

I saw them in 1994 twice at the CNE-Toronto and once at the Skydome.

I think I did that because in 1989 I only had opportunity to see them one night (Sept 3) at the CNE.

I would give a lot to go back and reverse that ratio.

20-year-old girls standing next to me in 1989 burst into tears during Ruby Tuesday. I cheered them up by lending my binoculars. It was a great, long, fulfilling show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-28 02:54 by andrews27.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: March 28, 2019 03:25

I love the Steel Wheels tour. I was only 9 years old in '81 so '89 was my first chance to see the Stones.

I've seen at least one show from the tours that have followed, and Voodoo Lounge was my favorite. Was at 4 shows that tour.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 28, 2019 04:17

andrews27
I saw them in 1994 twice at the CNE-Toronto and once at the Skydome.

I think I did that because in 1989 I only had opportunity to see them one night (Sept 3) at the CNE.

I would give a lot to go back and reverse that ratio.

20-year-old girls standing next to me in 1989 burst into tears during Ruby Tuesday. I cheered them up by lending my binoculars. It was a great, long, fulfilling show.

I've only ever seen the CNE on a wrestling video, Hulk Hogan v Mr Wonderful and there were like 70k people in attendance, it must be a monster of a venue, Skydome, Wrestlemania 6, that widescreen digital screen must have be so far ahead of it time.

Date: March 28, 2019 04:36

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
keefriff99
Am I the only one who doesn't like Live at the Max?

I've never actually seen it on an IMAX screen, but watching it on a TV is painful. Everything about it feels artificial. There are some cool moments, but overall, it comes off like a digital simulation of a Stones concert.

twas great on imax.

It was fantastic on that giant screen and the loud speakers.

The artificial aspects of it... there were a lot of screwups when filming live, so they filmed them miming to those recorded shows, which are glaringly obvious, like when Mick is 300 feet from the mic during a part of Ruby Tuesday and Keith's fingers magically don't play the licks in the intro of Honky Tonk Women - the whole Keith intro is a fix. [www.youtube.com]

With the fixes it's probably the only time Mick has ever had to imitate himself, on command.

Although it's never said or shown, they must've had someone filming the live show for reference points for the fixes... unless they didn't anticipate having so many screwups.

About 2:30 in and then more later, not-live filming live screwups...

[www.youtube.com]

There's an ad for INXS. I forgot how huge they were.

Part 3 shows the Keith Satisfaction solo fix, Charlie attempting to play what he did live... ha ha ha ha ha. IORR intro, Keith just goes into the chugging while the recording he's still finessing the opening licks... Mick standing a long ways away from the mic for Ruby Tuesday.

Possibly one of the more intricate giggles of that movie was Mick's screwup in IORR - they left it.

[www.youtube.com]

I didnt know this.
Thank you for sharing

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 22, 2019 04:35

Saw them in North Carolina -- it was my first show. I had been listening to them since 1978 but this was the first chance at seeing them.
I do remember thinking I was lucky to see them before they broke up for good. Remember I had been hearing they were old ever since I first became aware of them. And the '80s were not good for a Stones fan. You kept having to tell your friends, No, this is a great band, you have to dig deep into their catalog. Dirty Work was so disappointing. All we had from the '80s, really, was Talk in Cheap.
So my expectations were pretty modest. At one point Keith ran up to the top of some kind of staircase and I was frankly amazed he didn't keel over. After that I realized he was actually a fit man and would probably live forever.
It was a stadium show and I was too far away to see very much. When they played the 'obscure' songs (which many around me didn't know), that was a thrill.
It was a good show. They were professional and gave it their best.
Going home I thought, 'Ok, I've seen them, enjoyed it, thank you, that's it.'
I know this site is filled with guys who have seen them a hundred times, but that was enough. I'm not into all the stuff that goes with seeing a stadium show.
I've seen the Kinks several times at theaters and once in an actual bar so a stadium show couldn't compete with that, even if it was Keith Richards up there on stage, 100 yards away from me.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 22, 2019 05:04

wonderboy
Saw them in North Carolina -- it was my first show. I had been listening to them since 1978 but this was the first chance at seeing them.
I do remember thinking I was lucky to see them before they broke up for good. Remember I had been hearing they were old ever since I first became aware of them. And the '80s were not good for a Stones fan. You kept having to tell your friends, No, this is a great band, you have to dig deep into their catalog. Dirty Work was so disappointing. All we had from the '80s, really, was Talk in Cheap.
So my expectations were pretty modest. At one point Keith ran up to the top of some kind of staircase and I was frankly amazed he didn't keel over. After that I realized he was actually a fit man and would probably live forever.
It was a stadium show and I was too far away to see very much. When they played the 'obscure' songs (which many around me didn't know), that was a thrill.
It was a good show. They were professional and gave it their best.
Going home I thought, 'Ok, I've seen them, enjoyed it, thank you, that's it.'
I know this site is filled with guys who have seen them a hundred times, but that was enough. I'm not into all the stuff that goes with seeing a stadium show.
I've seen the Kinks several times at theaters and once in an actual bar so a stadium show couldn't compete with that, even if it was Keith Richards up there on stage, 100 yards away from me.

Not trying to convince you, or anyone, but judging their live shows of today based on a stadium show 30 years ago from "too far away to see very much" is not fair to you or the band. Do yourself a favor, go see one of these upcoming shows, get a decent seat near the catwalk where you can experience the whole show, stage screens, sound, etc. and report back. May not compare to your up close experiences with The Kinks, but that's tough to beat and also says a lot about your musical taste. Personally, if they reunited and I had to choose between the Kinks up close or the seat for the Stones I just described, the Kinks would probably win.. but only because I've seen some No Filter shows already cool smiley

Date: April 22, 2019 05:38

Worst tour ever.

Actually, the only really bad, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 05:51 by EdubertoPalitroke.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: April 22, 2019 07:04

Saw headline and decided to write without reading others.

At the LA Coliseum the stage and presentation blew me away especially the SMU opener (since we had no IORR to tell us set list info in advance). My other highlight was 2000 light years. Remember we had not seen them for 8 years by then (my 1st show was ‘72).

Around 2013 I met some stage managers for the tour. 1.5 million watts for that stage, biggest ever by over 2x. When 486s were the tech for time....

OK now to read all the other posts ..,

Date: April 22, 2019 07:44

i've been reconsidering this.
i wanna go back to some of it that IORR fans think is really fun,
but the show i saw in l.a. was a bit disappointing.
That night to me, in my not so good seat; all things considered, tho Guns was good and i'm not their fan except that first album was righteous...
...and i went for tha boyz not Guns...
...tho it was nice when axle and lizzie lou joined them,
those little screwballs, lol...
; i like that song too. salt of the earth.

so my general opinion isn't so good but i have to go back.
it was my goodbye to Bill so i'm glad i went.
i'd seen them before a few times and those were historic;
one of them totally deservedly so;
well maybe both of them; but '75 was Ron's 13th gig with them at MSG when they opened in NYC...
...tho he wasn't really the issue i was having; it was more the jet set ambiance;
fans love to go back to the fun stage; and i do too sometime in vids;
but at the time i guess i was into more raw stuff; i was there for eoms tour in real good seats and also other stops.

we were close and i didn't really adjust to Bianca and everybody like it was Broadway opening lol, it was MUCH friggin' bigger than that....
...mebbe just me; i like thrilling shows and all; but at time,
all the stuff seemed like a kids birthday party; not that that's bad.
nor do i want to seem more hard core hard rocker fans cause i like angie
and new faces, so go figure...
...time is on my side is what brought me into the fold early on...

so i went back to '75 and dug a lot of it after having dismissed it;
and might , hopefully, with SW, when i get a chance to read this thread.

not a really good tour in relation to a lot of really good other tours fair to say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 07:47 by hopkins.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 22, 2019 08:07

I think this was the beginning of the new Stones, and it took them around 10 years to perfect it. The best shows came in 98 at MSG, and also 99.
Then, if memory serves me it was Licks with the small, medium, and large venues. Also strong shows. After this the tours start to falter slightly more each time.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2019 20:58

JMARKO
I think this was the beginning of the new Stones, and it took them around 10 years to perfect it. The best shows came in 98 at MSG, and also 99.
Then, if memory serves me it was Licks with the small, medium, and large venues. Also strong shows. After this the tours start to falter slightly more each time.

Bridges and No Security

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: April 22, 2019 21:43

Elmo Lewis
JMARKO

Bridges and No Security

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think there were signs of them finding a good place during some point in 95, on the later legs of the VL tour. By the time Bridges tour rolled around, I think they found their live confidence again.

Date: April 23, 2019 11:10

If there is one thing the Stones have pioneered, and been the trailblazer for everyone else on, it is how to play live. How to tour, and take that whole kit & kaboodle on the road.
In '69 they began with the modern day notion of the PA.
In '78/81 they made major improvements in how to play the stadiums. And outdoors from one city to another.
But in '89 they took it to a whole new level: by literally creating a whole universe, and hauling it across the globe. That HUGE stage, with motifs, painters, fireworks, their own backstage area. And then also the way they delivered the songs: with BU singers, and fortified by synths etc. This is common now, but no one did that back then. It made it so a band can play stadiums well into advanced age.
Like we said again and again in this thread, back then it was just great spectacle. Today we know it was the start of the late era. They toned it down in '94, and then amped it back up in '97, but much better; with more resonance.
Today's stripped down stage implies so much confidence and experience; the notion that if they wanted, they could easily turn it into Ringling Bros at any time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 23, 2019 11:40

Palace Revolution 2000

But in '89 they took it to a whole new level: by literally creating a whole universe, and hauling it across the globe. That HUGE stage, with motifs, painters, fireworks

I'd credit Pink Floyd and their 1987 "A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour" with this.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: April 23, 2019 12:55

dcba
Palace Revolution 2000

But in '89 they took it to a whole new level: by literally creating a whole universe, and hauling it across the globe. That HUGE stage, with motifs, painters, fireworks

I'd credit Pink Floyd and their 1987 "A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour" with this.

David Bowie with THe Glass Spider Tour 1987.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 23, 2019 15:39

I think the Stones peaked performance-wise post-'89 from 1997-2003.

The club shows in '95 also showed them hitting a stride that they hadn't before in the modern era.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2019 19:21

Re: Can't be seen... While not the best thing they ever came out with, its a fun song that I've always enjoyed.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home