Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sure The One You Need
Date: March 19, 2019 07:19

It doesn't have its own thread in Rene's index.
I am still listening to only '75 tour boots at the moment. Ron Wood was on fire; better than in '76. Keith played well. Bill Wyman was very good, and overlooked. Charlie was not having one of his best years, mainly because he had Ollie Brown playing on many songs where there did not need be percussion. Does "Its only Rockn Roll" need a cowbell? Tumbling Dice with Timbales?
I went off topic. During the very fist shows Keith would play "Sure the one you need" and it is IMO one of the hottest versions ever. My question is: did Jagger sing BU on that one? Pretty sure it is Milwaukee show, and you hear the Bu voice, the lower harmony very strong. Ron did not sing that strong; would they have let him sing yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 07:20 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: Sure The One You Need
Posted by: z ()
Date: March 19, 2019 08:25

Doesn't sound like Jagger to me...

Ron did not sing that strong; would they have let him sing yet?
Jagger let him sing on Starfu*ker. IORR, You Gotta Move....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 08:29 by z.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 19, 2019 11:15

Did Keith ever do this song on his 2 solo tours if so please share

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 19, 2019 11:26

ukcal

It was tried 2 times in 75 in lieu of "Happy" then it was gone.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 19, 2019 12:37

ukcal

It was played on the New Barbarians tour in 1979

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 19, 2019 12:58

Palace Revolution 2000
Charlie was not having one of his best years, mainly because he had Ollie Brown playing on many songs where there did not need be percussion.

I think Charlie never played any better than on the 1975 tour. He played looser and more free than any other tour. As far as he ever was a freestyle jazz drummer it was on this tour. He has never been as adventurous as on this tour. And he had the best snare sound ever.

Mathijs

Date: March 19, 2019 13:37

Very true, I think so too!

Date: March 19, 2019 17:43

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
Charlie was not having one of his best years, mainly because he had Ollie Brown playing on many songs where there did not need be percussion.

I think Charlie never played any better than on the 1975 tour. He played looser and more free than any other tour. As far as he ever was a freestyle jazz drummer it was on this tour. He has never been as adventurous as on this tour. And he had the best snare sound ever.

Mathijs

I really don't hear it that way Mathijs; re. him playing looser, and the snare sound is a tricky call IMO because much of this is based on the boots. And they got better with each passing year, as the PA's themselves got better. I always loved Charlie in '69, style wise, and e.g. the snare sound on Ya-Ya's may be one of my alltime favorites.
But when someone whose opinion I really respect says something that differs from my view , it makes me go re-visit the whole deal, LOL.

Date: March 19, 2019 18:30

In the studio too. Black and Blue has the best snare sound ever.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 20, 2019 09:35

Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Mathijs

I really don't hear it that way Mathijs; re. him playing looser, and the snare sound is a tricky call IMO because much of this is based on the boots. And they got better with each passing year, as the PA's themselves got better. I always loved Charlie in '69, style wise, and e.g. the snare sound on Ya-Ya's may be one of my alltime favorites.
But when someone whose opinion I really respect says something that differs from my view , it makes me go re-visit the whole deal, LOL.

When revisiting start with IORR from LA Friday. That's just amazing to my ears -Charlie never plays a steady beat for more than 4 bars. It's like he's soloing or playing percussion for the entire song.

Mathijs

Date: March 21, 2019 15:23

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Mathijs

When revisiting start with IORR from LA Friday. That's just amazing to my ears -Charlie never plays a steady beat for more than 4 bars. It's like he's soloing or playing percussion for the entire song.

Mathijs

Thanks Mathijs. That was actually going to be my next question to you: which songs/performances you meant. I have been listening to more 75 shows with your posts in mind, and I still don't quite hear it. Because much of it seems to be Ollie B. But I will persevere.
I am pretty well lubed up re the '75 tour. What has been really interesting to me is to dig into the extended stays they had in LA and NYC ( and in '76 in Paris, London). The performances vary in great deal from another.
Also just the transition from 75 to 76 is interesting.Was it the air? Or did they use a different PA system? Obviously they had added the 'Black & Blue" material. But '76 is different. Did they take the Lotus stage to London and Paris? I can't recall. Where did that thing end up? wasn't it in Keith Moon's backyard or something?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home