Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:15

NashvilleBlues
Two double albums of all original material within 6 months of each other? How refreshing. It can be done. Proves some of the excuses (marketing, the tour cycle, etc.) other bands make for not releasing more often are b.s.

When is the last time a band of their caliber released that much in such a short period? I know The Clash released a double album (London Calling) and a triple album (Sandanista) within 365 days of each other. Two doubles within 6 months may be more impressive, especially in today’s business.

they also put out 'Black Market Clash' in between, which contained a lot of a and b sides (and a couple off other tracks) that werent on either of those releases.

But yes, putting out that amount of new material is pretty incredible in any era, let alone in 2022 when most acts of a similar vintage wouldnt be motivated to make a new album as they're either coasting or dont think its financially worth the effort.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: July 25, 2022 11:38

NashvilleBlues

Just keep in mind, John F. only played on 3 RHCP albums (one double) between the years of 1992-2021.

while true, that's such a weird stamenent/"spin". in that time frame, RHCP only released 6 records. and yes, John was on 3 of 'em.

if you factor in also 1991 and 2022, the math changes: 9 records, including the one to be released 3 months from now, with John on 6 of them (one double)

of if you count their whole output: 13 records, with John on 7 of them (one double).

ps: Stadium Arcadium, with John, was released as a double record (2 hours, 28 songs) in mid 2006, but the original plan was to release it as 3 single albums between late 2005 and late 2006. in fact, 9 further tracks were released as b sides of singles.
same with I'm With you (2011, John-less): a second album with outtakes/bsides, I'm Beside you, was released in 2013. a whopping 17 tracks

moreover, in 2003 they recorded (with John) an helluva of new songs for an ultimately unreleased 2004 album. 2 of them were released on the 2003 GH album and another 3 on various live albums.
finally: BSSM, by the way and UL (and even the imminent record) all run 70 minutes: maybe those may count as double albums? :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 14:35 by superglen.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 25, 2022 14:35

superglen
NashvilleBlues

Just keep in mind, John F. only played on 3 RHCP albums (one double) between the years of 1992-2021.

while true, that's such a weird stamenent/"spin". in that time frame, RHCP only released 6 records. and yes, John was on 3 of 'em.

if you factor in also 1991 and 2022, the math changes: 9 records, including the one to be released 3 months from now, with John on 6 of them (one double)

of if you count their whole output: 13 records, with John on 7 of them (one double).

ps: Stadium Arcadium, with John, was released as a double record (2 hours, 28 songs) in mid 2006, but the original plan was to release it as 3 single albums between late 2005 and late 2006. in fact, 9 further tracks were released as b sides of singles.
same with I'm With you (2011, John-less): a second album with outtakes/bsides, I'm Beside you, was released in 2013. a whopping 17 tracks

Weird? I thought it was a coherent way to explain the lack of flow or continuity in the band’s sound. And while I appreciate your RHCP knowledge, I’m aware of all that.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 25, 2022 15:55

In the meantime…

Was going to see RHCP at Bellahouston Park in the Glasgow outskirts, 1 July, between the Stones’ two Hyde Park shows. Alas it was cancelled in the very afternoon of show day due to illness (further explanation still not given as far as I know — was it “C” again?). I was looking forward to the supports as much, Anderson Paak and Thundercat, both top bill material in their own right, so the disappointment came as a double (more like triple) whammy. It was announced that they would reschedule a new date, but I’m afraid it won’t happen this year (it is an open air gig), and most likely the supports won’t be the same if at all.

To make up for the disappointment, I made a decision on the spot and saw Love featuring Johnny Echols at Mono in Glasgow city centre that night. I enjoyed the show although they were not so much a current incarnation of Love (let alone the absence of Arthur Lee) as a tribute band including one original member. Forever Changes played in person from beginning to end was a real treat. The venue was a tiny cafe bar type with a capacity of say about 250 — what a difference from the enormous Bellahouston Park I would have been at had things not taken a wrong turn. The show was sold out but a guy, Glaswegian local, in the queue called on me and offered a spare ticket stored in his smartphone app, and he waived the payment! Shit happens but something nice does as well. I bought him a beer, of course. “Here we, here we, here we fxxkin’ go!”

Back to RHCP. Can’t call myself a dedicated fan but saw them four times, 2002-2016 — twice with John and another twice with Josh. Enjoyed all of them. Josh is a competent guitarist but John is on another level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 16:36 by RisingStone.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 25, 2022 16:03

I think the only album that doesn't really sound like the others is One Hot Minute, and it doesn't sound that drastically different to my ears. I'm With You is a bit melancholy and sounds like they were in a transition period, but I think Josh's guitar playing was very much in John's style. I thought The Getaway was great. Either way, I like the fact that not every album sounds like they are trying to remake BSSM. To me, versatility is a good thing.

I'm With You kind of reflects a period of uncertainty and fear. It sure seems they're in a much better overall headspace now with these two 2022 albums. I find it very cool that they've been able to be so musically fertile at an age and time when many bands would be coasting or don't see the positive economics of recording new albums. I keep thinking of Kiss, who have just straight up admitted that they see no point in putting out any more new albums.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 25, 2022 18:05

My favorite by them is "By the Way" by far. John's Brian Wilson record. Some amazing music on that one.

Date: July 25, 2022 21:18

crholmstrom
My favorite by them is "By the Way" by far. John's Brian Wilson record. Some amazing music on that one.

Yes!! My favorite, too. Criminally underrated. Beautiful record.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 22:40

So I got into them with BSSM, and admittedly, I've never listened to their early stuff, which I have been doing all day today at work. Uplifting MoFo is freakin BRILLIANT!!!! My God I love it all, start to finish!! Listening to Mother's Milk now and it's just OK to me.

I do like By The Way a lot as well, and it has my favorite song, The Zephyr Song.

Date: July 25, 2022 23:26

VoodooLounge13
So I got into them with BSSM, and admittedly, I've never listened to their early stuff, which I have been doing all day today at work. Uplifting MoFo is freakin BRILLIANT!!!! My God I love it all, start to finish!! Listening to Mother's Milk now and it's just OK to me.

I do like By The Way a lot as well, and it has my favorite song, The Zephyr Song.

Venice Queen is awesome. It was killer live when they were doing it.

Date: July 26, 2022 03:43

VoodooLounge13

So you like Hillel Slovak? Gnarly!

Here are a couple of my favorite non-album tracks. Not sure if you’ve heard them or not before.

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 03:58 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 26, 2022 03:59

crholmstrom

i wouldnt call myself a huge fan and I've never seen them live, but that is certainly one of my favourite albums of this century by anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 03:59 by Gazza.

Posted by: basti ()
Date: October 3, 2022 15:09

hello everyone, does anyone of you happen to have peppers shows from the site

[www.livechilipeppers.com]

Date: October 3, 2022 19:33

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

So you like Hillel Slovak? Gnarly!

Here are a couple of my favorite non-album tracks. Not sure if you’ve heard them or not before.

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Thanks Nashville. Didn't really like the first one. The 2nd one I love, and have heard before - I believe it was on a soundtrack? Wayne's World maybe? I def have it somewhere. Great friggin track. I love their sound like that, and I really dug like the first 6 songs on their most recent album. I was excited, as I really hoped the whole thing would be like that, but then it just seemed to me that they ran out of gas or something, and the rest was just average to me. But those first few songs are killer!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2022 06:56

jahisnotdead
I think the only album that doesn't really sound like the others is One Hot Minute, and it doesn't sound that drastically different to my ears. I'm With You is a bit melancholy and sounds like they were in a transition period, but I think Josh's guitar playing was very much in John's style. I thought The Getaway was great. Either way, I like the fact that not every album sounds like they are trying to remake BSSM. To me, versatility is a good thing.

I'm With You kind of reflects a period of uncertainty and fear. It sure seems they're in a much better overall headspace now with these two 2022 albums. I find it very cool that they've been able to be so musically fertile at an age and time when many bands would be coasting or don't see the positive economics of recording new albums. I keep thinking of Kiss, who have just straight up admitted that they see no point in putting out any more new albums.

Date: October 9, 2022 02:59

I've heard the new album "Return Of The Dream Canteen" coming out next week. So far fan reaction is very positive overall.

Date: October 9, 2022 13:53

jahisnotdead
I've heard the new album "Return Of The Dream Canteen" coming out next week. So far fan reaction is very positive overall.

Can't wait to hear it. The 2 songs I've heard are both great.

Date: October 17, 2022 20:42

I must admit, I'm very disappointed with the new album. I do like Eddie, Fake as Fk, and The Drummer

I had really high hopes for it, as the band themselves said that they thought these songs were better than the prior album. The first 6 songs on that album are stellar - throwback RHCP, and then it just dropped off. This one is really just a long @ss mellow album that I can't get into. Maybe it'll grow on me in time, but for right now, it's one I'm leaving aside.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2022 21:06

Writer John Aizlewood of Classic Rock gives Return Of The Dream Canteen a positive 4/5 stars:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers continue red hot creative streak
Red Hot Chilli Peppers lay out a tasty musical banquet on Return Of The Dream Canteen, their second album in six months

RHCP

After releasing April’s 73-minute Unlimited Love, most bands would have left it at that for 2022. As we know, Red Hot Chili Peppers are not most bands. So although they usually take half a decade to recharge, they’re on such a creative roll that it’s two in a year. Producer Rick Rubin’s unerring capacity to tap each member’s strengths remains undimmed, whether it’s Anthony Kiedis tongue-twisting his way through Fake As F*ck, guitarist John Frusciante’s wonderful weirdness on Tippa My Tongue, Chad Smith pounding through the appositely titled The Drummer, or bassist Flea being at his slinkiest in decades. The band even step into hitherto unvisited territories: In The Snow opens like Ultravox’s Vienna, the twinkling Shoot Me A Smile takes its cue from The Kinks at their most winsome in the verses, then adds a chorus not a million miles from Californication, before sneaking in a subtle Krautrock undertow as Kiedis declares ‘I remember The Clash’. A fine album by any standards, not least the Chili Peppers’ own.

Date: October 17, 2022 21:30

VoodooLounge13
I must admit, I'm very disappointed with the new album. I do like Eddie, Fake as Fk, and The Drummer

I had really high hopes for it, as the band themselves said that they thought these songs were better than the prior album. The first 6 songs on that album are stellar - throwback RHCP, and then it just dropped off. This one is really just a long @ss mellow album that I can't get into. Maybe it'll grow on me in time, but for right now, it's one I'm leaving aside.

I need to listen to it a few more times. Upon first listen, I don't like it as much as Unlimited Love. I actually liked side D the best.

Date: October 17, 2022 21:40

Well I'm glad it's not just me!!! Both my sons didn't really dig it either.

Date: October 17, 2022 21:55

It took a bit for me to get real into Unlimited Love but I now love it. The new one hit immediately. What I like on the RHCP records is in the layers there is really cool stuff. John overdubs. That guy is special & I'm so glad he's back. I saw one show with Josh & it was ok but I didn't enjoy it as much as the shows I've seen with John. The musical part of the band is fearsome, especially when they lock in the groove. On early listens I'm getting more awesome guitar on the new one. John makes really hard stuff seem easy. For me he's kind of like a younger Jeff Beck & that's not something I would say lightly.

Date: October 20, 2022 16:33

I have mixed feelings on Dream Canteen. Most fans seem to love it. I am very happy that Chili Peppers fans have so much new music to enjoy, and clearly the band is in a good place right now. I had 13 "keepers" on Unlimited Love and 11 on Canteen. I think overall I like the keeper songs on UL more.

There are many good songs on Dream Canteen, The Drummer and Reach Out are two of my favorites. But there are more than a few songs that sound like reused musical ideas from previous RHCP songs, and for me it's distracting. One song, Roulette, has a lot of similarities to Bastards Of Light from Unlimited Love, right down to both choruses beginning with the words "And it feels..." Now it is true that people who are not bothered by these similarities that I hear seriously enjoy those songs.

Date: October 20, 2022 17:44

After a few listens, it has grown on me. Reach Out is a gem.

Date: October 27, 2022 00:12

Two double albums reach #1 in the same calendar year. Pretty impressive!

[apple.news]

Date: October 27, 2022 00:19

NashvilleBlues

[apple.news]

There's a video up on youtube of their whole set @ ACL Festival on October 9. It was the first time they played "Eddie" live. Frusciante does an amazing guitar solo that Edward Van Halen would be proud of.

Date: October 27, 2022 01:55

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

[apple.news]

There's a video up on youtube of their whole set @ ACL Festival on October 9. It was the first time they played "Eddie" live. Frusciante does an amazing guitar solo that Edward Van Halen would be proud of.

Thanks! Just watched it. No one does it like John F., especially starting at the 4:10 mark. Just plain ridiculous!

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-27 01:56 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: October 27, 2022 02:01

NashvilleBlues
crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

[apple.news]

Thanks! Just watched it. No one does it like John F., especially starting at the 4:10 mark. Just plain ridiculous!

[m.youtube.com]

He's way up on my favorite guitar player list. He's an amazing musician. I also like how his backing vocals are way up in the mix on the ACL video. I know Anthony and Flea are RHCP but John's a much better singer. He's one of those genius musicians like Trent Reznor, Steven Drodz of Flaming Lips, Prince to name a few. I'm so glad he's back with RHCP. Josh Klinghoffer was ok but he was nowhere near John's level.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2022 05:37

Smells Like Red Hot Nirvana - Live at Silverlake Conservatory, October 29, 2022

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 24, 2023 15:37

The Red Hot Chili Peppers treated us to a fantastic evening at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Sunday. They certainly delivered.

I had seen the RHCP four times, in 2002 and 2007 (with John Frusciante), and in 2011 and 2016 (with Josh Klinghoffer). Josh is a competent guitarist and I felt their show with him was okay, but last night reminded me of how much I had missed for the last two occasions I saw the group. John is on another level.

The visual projected onto a back screen that reached well under the roof, abstract light show of a sort, enhanced the whole experience. Simple but effective.

This show made up for last year’s Bellahouston Park gig which was cancelled at the last minute due to illness. With two desirable support acts, Anderson .Paak and Thundercat, it was a huge disappointment. However, both King Princess and The Roots who supported the RHCP this time were very good — the latter in particular, a bit of an eye opener for me.

Look how different the setlists are between the preceding London and Glasgow shows (these are the only U.K. dates this year):

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-25 02:38 by RisingStone.

Date: July 25, 2023 00:03

Saw The Roots at Bonnaroo 2007. Very impressive live band, for sure!

Love RHCP live. Nice set lists.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home