Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: RHCP Live At The Pyramids
Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 3, 2022 03:17

Never cared for them, sorry.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 3, 2022 05:23

I cut my new album playlist down ruthlessly, by six tracks. "Not The One" is least favorite of cut bunch. I sort of like "One Way Traffic" but it kept reminding me of "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses so it had to go.

The good news is that the remaining songs are all quite enjoyable and are rewarding re-listens.

Here are my favorite tracks from "Unlimited Love"

-

Black Summer - It's been out such a short time and already sounds like a classic.

Here Ever After - I think this would have been a huge hit in the '90's. It should be a hit today. A good, catchy pop song. One of the top tracks in my opinion.

Poster Child - I underestimated this song in my first review. I really think it's one of my favorites on the album. The verses are fun and catchy. The bridge part is really strong and makes the song.

The Great Apes - I like the darkness and complexity of this one a lot. It feels really different.

These Are The Ways - This song is so good. It sounds familiar and fresh at the same time. It's great to hear hard rock again. One of my favorites here, and maybe the best track on the album. I feel like I like it more each time I hear it.

Whatchu Thinkin' - Rock solid songwriting making a very enjoyable funky track that delivers the goods.

Bastards Of Light _ The chorus is almost country, then there's a cool hard rock bridge. A very good, different type of genre mashup than what they usually do.

White Braids & Pillow Chair - If "Bastards Of Light" was almost country, this one is almost Western. I really think this lovely track is one of the best of the album and is elevated in the second half.

Let Em Cry - Solid all the way through. Bouncy, funky with a little island vibe. Awesome horns.

The Heavy Wing - If I think of this one as a bookend for "Black Summer" I don't mind the similarity between the two, because this is a hard rocking song in its own right.

Tangelo - A softer ballad that builds well and works nicely.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 3, 2022 11:54

Full Fonda Theatre show in pretty good quality: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 3, 2022 12:27

Topi
Full Fonda Theatre show in pretty good quality: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks! These Are The Ways is a great new RHCP song. Not sure how a rock fan wouldn’t like it. Fun energy and it rocks real hard.

OT: Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:26

From The Howard Stern Show, April 5:

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:40

daniel t

Ditto! smileys with beer

Re: OT: Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
Date: April 7, 2022 18:57

Date: April 7, 2022 20:51

LeonidP
daniel t

Ditto! smileys with beer

Don't like These Are The Ways? Feel sorry for you. That song rocks.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:23

Chad Smith really eats drums for breakfast.

[www.youtube.com]

Also check out Rick Rubins podcast.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:55

I used to love the RHCP. Played the hell out of Blood Sugar Sex Magik for years. I saw them in 2000 with the Foo Fighters as opener. A show for the ages.

But I don't own any of their stuff anymore and I'd put them on a list (if I were to make a list) of "bands you used to love but now don't ever listen to anymore". I'm not completely sure why this has happened with the groups that I'd put on that list other than to say that they haven't aged well somehow, IMHO.

But in the spirit of the past, I may need to give this latest album a chance.

Date: April 8, 2022 03:33

floodonthepage
I used to love the RHCP. Played the hell out of Blood Sugar Sex Magik for years. I saw them in 2000 with the Foo Fighters as opener. A show for the ages.

But I don't own any of their stuff anymore and I'd put them on a list (if I were to make a list) of "bands you used to love but now don't ever listen to anymore". I'm not completely sure why this has happened with the groups that I'd put on that list other than to say that they haven't aged well somehow, IMHO.

I felt the exact same way. For proof see a page or 2 ago. Give the new album a spin. You may not like it, but it reinvigorated my dormant love for the band. I didn’t know I needed good, new RHCP in my life as much as I did.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 8, 2022 04:36

NashvilleBlues
floodonthepage

I felt the exact same way. For proof see a page or 2 ago. Give the new album a spin. You may not like it, but it reinvigorated my dormant love for the band. I didn’t know I needed good, new RHCP in my life as much as I did.

thumbs up

Date: April 8, 2022 05:09

schwonek
Chad Smith really eats drums for breakfast.

[www.youtube.com]

Also check out Rick Rubins podcast.

I enjoyed that show quite a bit. George Clinton isn't adding any thing to the closer, but the rest of it was great. You can tell that they are enjoying playing music. Flea is always into it.

The Rick Rubin interview was very interesting too. You wouldn't have thought blues and punk were heavy influences on the new album (at least I wouldn't have) but they were. It's fascinating to hear how the new music evolved organically. Like the Stones, once a band has that musical connection that they've had with each other for so long, playing becomes almost psychic. It paid off in the final product. People looking for Blood Sugar Sex Magic Part II have probably given up on them decades ago. But if you're looking for some pretty tight music that sounds like it's coming from an inspired place, it's worth checking out, imho.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 8, 2022 15:26

jahisnotdead
George Clinton isn't adding any thing to the closer.

... If you're looking for some pretty tight music that sounds like it's coming from an inspired place, it's worth checking out, imho.

I totally agree!!!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 8, 2022 20:39

NashvilleBlues
LeonidP
daniel t

Ditto! smileys with beer

Don't like These Are The Ways? Feel sorry for you. That song rocks.

sad smiley

Date: April 8, 2022 21:19

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2022 21:25

Red Hot Chili Peppers Land Second No. 1 Debut with ‘Unlimited Love’ Ahead of Summer Global Stadium Tour

RHCP

For the second time in their illustrious career, the Red Hot Chili Peppers scored a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 thanks to the global success of Unlimited Love, the Rock & Roll Hall of Famers‘ brand new album released on April 1. Marking the return of guitarist John Frusciante, the record debuted atop the charts in the United States, the UK, Ireland, Australia, France, Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium and beyond, making it their second No. 1 debut in history (the first, notably, was 2006’s Stadium Arcadium, the most recent record with Frusciante). Anticipation for Unlimited Love was unprecedented, especially after the prolonged length of time between the late 2019 announcement of Frusciante’s return to the album’s awaited release. The COVID-19 pandemic halted the Chili Peppers’ planned rollout of new activity and festival tour dates, a gap that only increased excitement for new music from the band. “Black Summer” was the debut single released from Unlimited Love, a typically anthemic track from the band that reintroduced Frusciante to the masses.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 12, 2022 13:16

I love the Peppers...good for them!...congrats.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 12, 2022 20:52

Love 'em or hate 'em you've got to respect the fact that the Peppers have been out there doing their thing since their first album in 1984. They haven't broken up for 15 years or whatever only to reunite to play their hits. They've been consistently on the scene for a long ass time and they're still putting out new music AND still packing stadiums all over the world. That is impressive. The musicianship is incredible. I personally love them, especially John Frusciante and I'm happy that he's back in the band.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2022 20:57

At this point you really just have to be a known band to have a #1 album. Having said that, good for them.

Date: April 12, 2022 23:48

RollingFreak
At this point you really just have to be a known band to have a #1 album. Having said that, good for them.

If I recall correctly, McCartney III only made it to number two.

Date: April 12, 2022 23:59

Yes, good for them on having a number one album. It's well-deserved. The music is organic.

It's also interesting reading/hearing their comments on their next album in the works. The first news I heard on it was that it would be overall more laid back than "Unlimited Love". Recently Anthony has said that he was outvoted on one or more tracks that didn't get included on UL. John has also said that he's excited about what they have in the can and that those tracks may be better than what's on the new album. John also has said that he's still working on some tracks.

We'll see, but it certainly is refreshing to know there's a rock band out there that's enjoying songwriting and recording in the studio and that their sessions have been fruitful.

OT: Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
Date: May 2, 2022 18:24

Red Hot Chili Peppers saluted Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins at 2022 New Orleans Jazz Fest

By Keith Spera
May 2, 2022

Photo by Brett Duke, NOLA.com

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2022 08:22

And just a few months after having a #1 album, another new album is on the way!!!

Red Hot Chili Peppers Announce New Double Album ‘Return of the Dream Canteen’

Frontman Anthony Kiedis shared news of the band's second album of 2022 from the Empower Field at Mile High stage in Denver.
Steve Knopper
07/24/2022

RHCP

DENVER — Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis announced the band’s second studio album of 2022, Return of the Dream Canteen, from the stage at a sold-out Empower Field at Mile High show on Saturday night.
The new album, due Oct. 14, will be produced by Rick Rubin, who also produced the band’s platinum-selling Unlimited Love in April, as well as past classic Red Hot Chili Peppers albums such as 1991’s Blood Sugar Sex Magik and 1999’s Californication. “We have a brand new double album stacked to the brim,” bassist Flea said from the stage, 40 minutes into the tour’s rainy opening show, adding that the first single will be called “Tippa My Tongue.” “It’s f–king good news, man.” The Chili Peppers have had a strong commercial year: In April, Unlimited Love hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with 97,500 album equivalent units moved, marking the band’s first LP to top the listing since Stadium Arcadium in 2006. Lead single “Black Summer” also reached the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 78, and topped Billboard‘s Alternative Airplay listing for four weeks, marking their record 14th No. 1 on that chart. Meanwhile, the band is on its first-ever stadium tour, which includes Empower Field, and drew 50,000 fans for Saturday’s show with Haim and Thundercat. The tour is the band’s first with guitarist John Frusciante, a core member during the band’s ’90s and ’00s commercial and artistic peak, in 15 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From email:

"We went in search of ourselves as the band that we have somehow always been. Just for the fun of it we jammed and learned some old songs. Before long we started the mysterious process of building new songs. A beautiful bit of chemistry meddling that had befriended us hundreds of times along the way. Once we found that slip stream of sound and vision, we just kept mining. With time turned into an elastic waistband of oversized underwear, we had no reason to stop writing and rocking. It felt like a dream. When all was said and done, our moody love for each other and the magic of music had gifted us with more songs than we knew what to do with. Well we figured it out. 2 double albums released back to back. The second of which is easily as meaningful as the first or should that be reversed. 'Return of the Dream Canteen' is everything we are and ever dreamed of being. It’s packed. Made with the blood of our hearts."

Yours Truly,
The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 24, 2022 12:44

Hairball
And just a few months after having a #1 album, another new album is on the way!!!

Red Hot Chili Peppers Announce New Double Album ‘Return of the Dream Canteen’

Frontman Anthony Kiedis shared news of the band's second album of 2022 from the Empower Field at Mile High stage in Denver.
Steve Knopper
07/24/2022

RHCP

DENVER — Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis announced the band’s second studio album of 2022, Return of the Dream Canteen, from the stage at a sold-out Empower Field at Mile High show on Saturday night.
The new album, due Oct. 14, will be produced by Rick Rubin, who also produced the band’s platinum-selling Unlimited Love in April, as well as past classic Red Hot Chili Peppers albums such as 1991’s Blood Sugar Sex Magik and 1999’s Californication. “We have a brand new double album stacked to the brim,” bassist Flea said from the stage, 40 minutes into the tour’s rainy opening show, adding that the first single will be called “Tippa My Tongue.” “It’s f–king good news, man.” The Chili Peppers have had a strong commercial year: In April, Unlimited Love hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with 97,500 album equivalent units moved, marking the band’s first LP to top the listing since Stadium Arcadium in 2006. Lead single “Black Summer” also reached the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 78, and topped Billboard‘s Alternative Airplay listing for four weeks, marking their record 14th No. 1 on that chart. Meanwhile, the band is on its first-ever stadium tour, which includes Empower Field, and drew 50,000 fans for Saturday’s show with Haim and Thundercat. The tour is the band’s first with guitarist John Frusciante, a core member during the band’s ’90s and ’00s commercial and artistic peak, in 15 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From email:

"We went in search of ourselves as the band that we have somehow always been. Just for the fun of it we jammed and learned some old songs. Before long we started the mysterious process of building new songs. A beautiful bit of chemistry meddling that had befriended us hundreds of times along the way. Once we found that slip stream of sound and vision, we just kept mining. With time turned into an elastic waistband of oversized underwear, we had no reason to stop writing and rocking. It felt like a dream. When all was said and done, our moody love for each other and the magic of music had gifted us with more songs than we knew what to do with. Well we figured it out. 2 double albums released back to back. The second of which is easily as meaningful as the first or should that be reversed. 'Return of the Dream Canteen' is everything we are and ever dreamed of being. It’s packed. Made with the blood of our hearts."

Yours Truly,
The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I wasn't crazy about "Unlimited Love" at first but it has seriously grown on me. The music is really great. I still have a few issues with Anthony's singing & lyrics but they're not all bad. I've heard a few tapes from Europe this summer & the band is seriously cooking live. Except for John, those guys are all pushing 60 now & have grown up. When the band locks in, there aren't many bands that can touch them. There is some serious magic that happens. & John Frusciante is still 1 of my favorite guitar players. No need to talk about Flea. One quibble: on the live tapes they're only doing 90-100 minute shows. I think they should play 2 hours for the money they're charging. I'm seeing them in a few weeks with the Strokes (don't care for) & Thundercat (amazing) opening. Hopefully we'll get some more of the upcoming record.

Date: July 24, 2022 15:18

Two double albums of all original material within 6 months of each other? How refreshing. It can be done. Proves some of the excuses (marketing, the tour cycle, etc.) other bands make for not releasing more often are b.s.

When is the last time a band of their caliber released that much in such a short period? I know The Clash released a double album (London Calling) and a triple album (Sandanista) within 365 days of each other. Two doubles within 6 months may be more impressive, especially in today’s business.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 24, 2022 15:22

floodonthepage

Same here. Bought all their albums up to BSSM. After that, they seem to have changed into a very bland band. What happened to that hard metal edge? I checked their set list from the current tour and they play very little that pre-dates One Hot Minute. It’s clear that their tedious MOR soul-funk sells well.

Date: July 24, 2022 15:30

Wow. Excellent news. I'm psyched to hear it.

Date: July 24, 2022 17:16

Father Ted
floodonthepage

Same here. Bought all their albums up to BSSM. After that, they seem to have changed into a very bland band. What happened to that hard metal edge? I checked their set list from the current tour and they play very little that pre-dates One Hot Minute. It’s clear that their tedious MOR soul-funk sells well.

As you know, their next album after BSSM had Dave Navarro on guitar. That altered their sound, for sure. Then John F. retuned for their 1999 album (8 years after BSSM). Then he left again after their 2006 double album. Josh Klinghoffer replaced John F. for 2 albums. When Unlimited Love came out it was John F’s first RHCP album in 16 years. I’m sure you know all of that, but although I’ve enjoyed all of their albums, I could see how the lack of continuity on guitar in a one guitar band who has such a unique sound could put people off. That said, it sounds like you may have other issues with their sound.

Just keep in mind, John F. only played on 3 RHCP albums (one double) between the years of 1992-2021.

Check out “These Are The Ways.” If you don’t recognize metal in that song, you’re not listening. Electric song. Check this live version…

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-24 17:19 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: July 24, 2022 20:46

I'm envious that they're able to find their creative spark and are getting so much pleasure from creating music together.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home