Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: RHCP Live At The Pyramids
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 16, 2019 01:05

Well that's unexpected ! Saw them live a couple of years ago, it was a good show but you could somehow sense that Klinghoffer wasn't their peer on stage...

Can't help but think about what Gorman mentioned in his book several times, that "original lineups" have great "value". It's pretty obvious when you think of it but I guess I'd never really...thought about it ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 16, 2019 03:25

Just in case your like me and will never click on Rollingstone.com after Boston, here's a decent paper

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 16, 2019 05:12

crholmstrom
rock & good news!!!!! the guitar division just got a huge boost! John Frusciante is back in the band!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yippee! smileys with beer

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 16, 2019 15:43

I'm surprised at this news. I thought Josh Klinghoffer was really good and maybe the best possible replacement. He was on their wavelength much more than Dave Navarro ever was, that's for sure. The great thing about John and Josh is that they are both excellent guitarists with similar styles and sensibilities. They weren't at all afraid to play in a minimalist style.

I thought the last album "The Getaway" was excellent and I was looking forward to hearing how they built upon that with their next record. I'll be interested in hearing if they're keeping the music they've been recording with him and Danger Mouse or if they're going to go back and start recording from scratch.

I'm also curious as to what exactly happened to make John Frusciante change his mind again. It seems unusual that a major member of a well-known band would leave and rejoin twice in their career. It doesn't happen often other than a one-off guest appearance type thing, I'd imagine. Neil Young and CSNY, maybe a handful of others?

Anyway, this is surprising and interesting news.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 17:07

I like Klinghoffer a lot and appreciate what he did with the band (The Getaway was fantastic), but Frusciante is on a whole another level in terms of talent.

RHCP is one of the few bands I've yet to cross off my "must see" list, so if it ends up being with Frusciante, all the better.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 16, 2019 17:41

wow - I thought John would never return what great news

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: December 16, 2019 17:56

David Gilmour should play there!!

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: December 16, 2019 18:37

jahisnotdead
I'm surprised at this news. I thought Josh Klinghoffer was really good and maybe the best possible replacement. He was on their wavelength much more than Dave Navarro ever was, that's for sure. The great thing about John and Josh is that they are both excellent guitarists with similar styles and sensibilities. They weren't at all afraid to play in a minimalist style.

I thought the last album "The Getaway" was excellent and I was looking forward to hearing how they built upon that with their next record. I'll be interested in hearing if they're keeping the music they've been recording with him and Danger Mouse or if they're going to go back and start recording from scratch.

I'm also curious as to what exactly happened to make John Frusciante change his mind again. It seems unusual that a major member of a well-known band would leave and rejoin twice in their career. It doesn't happen often other than a one-off guest appearance type thing, I'd imagine. Neil Young and CSNY, maybe a handful of others?

Anyway, this is surprising and interesting news.

Well, even though I'm exited about this news, to me it sounds like they brought him back for an album and one last huge world tour. Not sure what to make about the rumours I read a while ago but I think they wanted to call it quits as a band pretty soon.
They are well into their late 50s by now and might end up like the Stones though, jumping around on stage at +70.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 16, 2019 19:11

Hairball
crholmstrom
rock & good news!!!!! the guitar division just got a huge boost! John Frusciante is back in the band!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Yippee! smileys with beer

Yup! Klinghoffer was to JF what Waddy Wachtel is to Keith... A colorless clone of a truly talented dude.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 16, 2019 20:52

Excellent news although I genuinely ask: is it a little too late that he's coming back? They seem to be drifting the last few years, which I don't know if its BECAUSE John isn't there or simply cause they're getting older and even bands like Pearl Jam have started to drift, another band I love. I certainly hope John shoots them back up with creativity. They've always been best with him and I'd love to see them come back to life from it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 21:00

RollingFreak
Excellent news although I genuinely ask: is it a little too late that he's coming back? They seem to be drifting the last few years, which I don't know if its BECAUSE John isn't there or simply cause they're getting older and even bands like Pearl Jam have started to drift, another band I love. I certainly hope John shoots them back up with creativity. They've always been best with him and I'd love to see them come back to life from it.
I thought The Getaway was great, and it was pretty well-received. I agree that they could be even better with Frusciante, but who knows? They're at that age when creativity starts to wane, but at least he'll give them a jolt of electricity when it comes to live shows.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 16, 2019 21:00

Just listened to "Stadium Arcadium" from 2006 with the the commented tracks in the end and I'd be surprised if Frusciante didn't have a stockpile of ideas that could get them started on a bunch of good tracks !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 17, 2019 00:13

Even if they don't release new music, the live shows will be amped up tenfold.
That said, I expect new music and am sure it will be much better than their last two albums which were quite bland.

From Rock Cellar magazine:

"Frusciante is an especially emotive guitar player, his tone contributing a great deal to the signature sound the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band
used in its early days to amass the global success that has made them a rock institution to this day. So yeah, this is a big deal".

Red Hot

Date: December 17, 2019 02:07

I liked Josh okay. He was just too much of a Frusciante fan; and therefore never an original of anything. IMO Frusciante is a very, very good player. He also is strong to the point of making other players around him become better players too.

In response to jahisnotdead, who mentioned Navarro,and his short-lived tenure with the Peppers. I remember when everyone was waiting to hear how Navarro would sound in the Pepper sound. then OHM came out, and it went the other way around. The Peppers sounded like Jane's. Eventhough the band tried to ignore that album into no-existence , I always thought it was one of their very best albums.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 17, 2019 12:33

I just saw a video interview with Flea yesterday and he mentioned the Pyramids show...he didn't mention a date so there you go....BTW, he seems like a cool guy but I'm just not into the Peppers.

Date: December 17, 2019 14:24

Palace Revolution 2000
In response to jahisnotdead, who mentioned Navarro,and his short-lived tenure with the Peppers. I remember when everyone was waiting to hear how Navarro would sound in the Pepper sound. then OHM came out, and it went the other way around. The Peppers sounded like Jane's. Eventhough the band tried to ignore that album into no-existence , I always thought it was one of their very best albums.

That's pretty much how I got into the Chili Peppers. I was a huge Jane's Addiction fan back in the day, so I had to get One Hot Minute as soon as it came out just to hear Dave. I had a couple of RHCP CD's in my collection at the time, but I wasn't a real fa. I was generally indifferent to them.

A few years back I was reading comments online and learned that most people still considered One Hot Minute their worst album by a long shot. I went back and gave One Hot Minute another listen, and my first thought was "If this is their worst album, I really need to hear their best, because this is still pretty good." So I started to buy a few more RHCP CD's and dig into their catalog a little further. I ended up liking what I heard and now consider myself a fan.

I've also read that it was Frusciante alone that nixed the idea of performing anything off One Hot Minute after his first return. It was only when he left again did the rest of the Peppers feel free to add One Hot Minute songs back into the live setlists. Now that he's back again, that album will probably fall back into the memory hole. I hope the same fate doesn't befall the songs on The Getaway because that's an excellent album, but there's probably no reason to expect otherwise.

Date: December 17, 2019 18:25

jahisnotdead
Palace Revolution 2000

That's pretty much how I got into the Chili Peppers. I was a huge Jane's Addiction fan back in the day, so I had to get One Hot Minute as soon as it came out just to hear Dave. I had a couple of RHCP CD's in my collection at the time, but I wasn't a real fa. I was generally indifferent to them.

A few years back I was reading comments online and learned that most people still considered One Hot Minute their worst album by a long shot. I went back and gave One Hot Minute another listen, and my first thought was "If this is their worst album, I really need to hear their best, because this is still pretty good." So I started to buy a few more RHCP CD's and dig into their catalog a little further. I ended up liking what I heard and now consider myself a fan.

I've also read that it was Frusciante alone that nixed the idea of performing anything off One Hot Minute after his first return. It was only when he left again did the rest of the Peppers feel free to add One Hot Minute songs back into the live setlists. Now that he's back again, that album will probably fall back into the memory hole. I hope the same fate doesn't befall the songs on The Getaway because that's an excellent album, but there's probably no reason to expect otherwise.

That could be me writing what you said. Huge Jane's fan; and while I liked "Mother's Milk" at the time, I went after OHM mainly because of Navarro. And through all that I started digging into RHCP. But in fairness to you and me, as we were getting into them, their material and sound was becoming way more sophisticated, deeper and varied.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 19, 2019 02:06

watching show from big day out 2000. wonder if john is still playing a telecaster through marshall stacks (on some songs)? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 10, 2020 00:39

Red Hot Chili Peppers Are Indeed Working on a New Album with John Frusciante

By Rock Cellar Magazine Staff on January 9, 2020

RHCP

When the Red Hot Chili Peppers dropped a pre-Christmas surprise, announcing that guitarist John Frusciante was back in the mix after a decade away from the group, fans were no doubt bowled over by the news.
Once the shock wore off, it was probably on many fans’ minds to think of what a new Chili Peppers record with Frusciante might sound like … and drummer Chad Smith recently said that that’s exactly what the band is up to.
The Chili Peppers have been said to be working on a new album, the follow-up to 2016’s The Getaway, for a while now, but it sounds like Frusciante is officially taking part. As Smith said in a new Rolling Stone piece about his upcoming art exhibit:

“I was given strict orders for this interview: ‘DON’T TALK ABOUT THE BAND,’” he says. “But, yes, John is back in the band, and everyone knows that. We’re psyched. The festivals are the only shows booked. For now, we’ll mostly be concentrating on new songs and writing a new record. We’re all real excited to make new music.”

The most recent RHCP record involving Frusciante was 2006’s sprawling double-album Stadium Arcadium, as Frusciante dipped out a few years after its release, with Josh Klinghoffer taking over and contributing to the band’s next few records up through The Getaway in 2016.

As of right now, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a few festival dates lined up with Frusciante, including a recently detailed headlining slot at BottleRock Napa Valley, and it seems reasonable to assume more will be in the mix, especially as the band continues working on a new record. Stay tuned!

And in the meantime, make sure to read/listen to Rock Cellar writer Steve Rosen’s incredibly detailed “lost” 2004 interview with Frusciante at this link. JohnF

Date: January 10, 2020 01:15

[www.youtube.com]

Stadium Arcadium is sort of like YA YAS's for guitar lovers - Just isolate John Frusciante's guitar is amazing, his sense of rhythm,dirty tone, and emotion.

On snow - I refuse to use a capo - its so hard to get one of the chords for the pinky stretch and still trying all these years.

Date: February 15, 2020 20:11

[www.youtube.com]

First footage of Red Hot Chili Peppers with John Frusciante•Feb 8, 2020

Date: February 16, 2020 03:15

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

First footage of Red Hot Chili Peppers with John Frusciante•Feb 8, 2020

Smokin' hot....the chemistry and synergy is almost completely back and they're about to explode.
Even Anthony is in awe - down on all fours in front of John's Marshall amp getting lost in the vibes....thumbs up

Date: February 16, 2020 09:24

That video is great. I haven't seen Anthony like that... since John left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 09:26 by RollingFreak.

Date: February 16, 2020 18:21

Yes my favorite player these days with a strat. Its amazing how many lives JF has with the peppers, he is lucky to have band mates that love his playing despite all the ups and downs in his life, with all his struggles.

Date: February 17, 2020 04:42

OpenG
Yes my favorite player these days with a strat. Its amazing how many lives JF has with the peppers, he is lucky to have band mates that love his playing despite all the ups and downs in his life, with all his struggles.

They know their bread is buttered better with him. Not really that lucky. He's super talented, and they know that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 17, 2020 12:07

RollingFreak
OpenG

They know their bread is buttered better with him. Not really that lucky. He's super talented, and they know that.

+ the talk is John & Flea are very close, both musically & personally. Can't wait to hear what comes out of this go round!

Date: February 17, 2020 18:05

[www.youtube.com]
Josh Klinghoffer on his Breakup with the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers Josh Klinghoffer announces debut solo album as Pluralone and I think he is opening up for Pearl Jam for the 2020 tour.

Josh was a great fit and such a nice guy. Flea and John kept a close personal relationship and jammed together during Josh's stay and he was not surprised after 10 years.

JF playing to me is so cosmic and his wailing on the strat brings out so much emotion.

Date: February 2, 2022 06:51

Short clips of new music is being released on their YouTube channel. It won't be too much longer before the new album is officially announced.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2022 08:23

jahisnotdead
Short clips of new music is being released on their YouTube channel. It won't be too much longer before the new album is officially announced.

We've waited so long. They should just give it away now.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 2, 2022 17:04

Give it away? I'll take the higher ground and pay for it.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home