Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 15, 2019 20:40

Live now.
This is really cool.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-06 14:47 by bv.

Re: OT: RHCP Live At The Pyramids
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 15, 2019 20:43

Thanks...What a backdrop!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 15, 2019 20:49

it's a cool set up for sure. I tuned in for a little while, but promptly got bored of the bass-solo-wank out

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 15, 2019 21:14

peoplewitheyes
it's a cool set up for sure. I tuned in for a little while, but promptly got bored of the bass-solo-wank out

Quote of the day....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2019 21:20

The Peppers without Frusciante are a bit like the Stones without Keef... An essential piece is missing.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 21:37 by dcba.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 15, 2019 23:00

I had no idea bands played at Gaza Egypt
started to look into it and found this article
take or leave
just food for thought
[www.guardians.net]

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: March 16, 2019 06:14

I always thought the Stones could do something like that intro, by just getting into a jam before vocals start, with rotating member order coming out for each show but of course with Charlie, One night jam country then let that spill into sweet virginia, or a bluesy jam that rolls into Midnight Rambler or rockabilly 50's style guitar that works its way into any Chuck Berry number they grew up playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 06:15 by snorton.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 16, 2019 13:44

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2019 16:27

35love
I had no idea bands played at Gaza Egypt
started to look into it and found this article
take or leave
just food for thought
[www.guardians.net]

Grateful Dead did it decades ago.

As for the Chili Peppers, I respect that they are still around and I like their music, but I don't feel like they've aged well. I've heard for 20 years now their live show is not amazing as they make it look on TV. Can't imagine what its like these days. And while I like bands like the Stones and Mick sorta acting the way they always have on stage, there's something slightly pathetic about it with the Chili Peppers to me. It seems like they never evolved. They can still live off that name, but no ones really taking them seriously. Which is kinda sad cause they actually are a really good band with some great albums. But I don't know, there was just a point like 10 years ago, I guess when Frusciante left, that it seemed to very quickly turned into "aren't you guys getting tired of this?" Watched some of that stream and just couldn't find myself getting excited about any of it.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 16, 2019 16:56

I loved this show. Been seeing the Peppers since 1982. I agree its not the same without Hilel or Furschante, but they are still a great band and have some really good songs. This was a special moment in their career and they seemed to embrace it.
I wish the Stones would think about doing something like this before they actually call it quits.
Also, Anthony Keidis book is a great read. ALmost as good as Keef's book.

Date: March 16, 2019 17:57

dcba
The Peppers without Frusciante are a bit like the Stones without Keef... An essential piece is missing.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, I go back and forth on that one. Josh joined so late in their career, that he doesn't have enough actual time to contribute all that much new and original ideas. Plus Frusciante was so damn good, and creative that most of their hits were written with him. Or should I say 'all' of their hits.
But Josh can burn; see the intro. He also carries the BU vocals very well like JF. I noticed how present the off stage players are though.
Is this the first time they did "Pea"? They hardly ever even acknowledge the existence of "One Hot Minute" album.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 16, 2019 18:08

Sorry I am not interested in Chili Peppers, it was playing in Gaza Egypt
that blows my mind. I have a thing for old rocks and stones (Honk Honk!)
The only way I will make my life long dream of seeing pyramids will only happen,
I suspect, is if the Stones play there. I believe I would find way. Never thought I’d see Paris or go to England, but the RS made me go.
Not sure if it’s correct to play there, tho,
Zahi Hawass article implies disrespect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 18:10 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2019 19:11

spikenyc
I loved this show. Been seeing the Peppers since 1982. I agree its not the same without Hilel or Furschante, but they are still a great band and have some really good songs. This was a special moment in their career and they seemed to embrace it.
I wish the Stones would think about doing something like this before they actually call it quits.
Also, Anthony Keidis book is a great read. ALmost as good as Keef's book.

Quite an achievement considering they formed in 1983!

The used to be a great band - saw them many times back in the day.
From small clubs, to opening for the Stones at the Rosebowl...from Honolulu to the L.A. Forum. But they've become semi-stagnated with the "new" guitar player - both releases with him have missed the mark and are basically retreads of old ideas. Watched part of the livestream playback, and ended up skipping around...their cover of Higher Ground sounded lethargic vs. their high octane studio version and the way they used to play it live.
They ain't what they used to be, and don't see how they could ever bring back the energy and creativity of the past.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 02:15

Very cool, but goddamn Anthony can't sing. He's never been good at staying in tune live, but it's downright painful now.

The rest of the band sounds great.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 17, 2019 03:18

keefriff99
Very cool, but goddamn Anthony can't sing. He's never been good at staying in tune live, but it's downright painful now.

The rest of the band sounds great.

thumbs up

i enjoyed it plenty; the atmospherics of course; and the energy; and truth be told; the novelty aspect. I give them credit for working so hard;
but think the critique here are informed; well i agree that they're samey
and stuck; and can't take much of Anthony...that manic guitar gits old;
i tend to give them credit for the hard work and good showing all things considered.
but did also read the 'food for thought' link that 35 left;
and have more a tendency to respect that site as the Antiquity folks in Cairo
were saying was necessary so as not to shake things up in a destructive way.
not worth the slightest risk. don't blame the band or anything...
...but those points are well taken.
...i think it would be appropriate perhaps to have something much more modest
as per decibels. i think music at that site is a good thing if it's not the slightest risk of seeding instability of any kind in any of those structures.

Date: March 17, 2019 03:41

Oh, I love RHCP, even their new material. They're still a band I need to cross off my live list...I'm just saying that Anthony has always been REALLY sketchy as a live singer, and he's gotten worse with age.

Date: March 17, 2019 14:09

I thought lots of bands already id this

Date: March 17, 2019 15:30

keefriffhard4life
It's probably been done before. Slayer shot their Seasons in the Abyss video there.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 17, 2019 16:06

keefriff99
Oh, I love RHCP, even their new material. They're still a band I need to cross off my live list...I'm just saying that Anthony has always been REALLY sketchy as a live singer, and he's gotten worse with age.

towards the end john frusciante was way up in the vocal mix. covered a lot of sins. i saw the new lineup a year ago & it was very good.

Date: March 17, 2019 16:59

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
It's probably been done before. Slayer shot their Seasons in the Abyss video there.

grateful dead played there too

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: March 18, 2019 00:31

I clicked this link with trepidation..
I thought it was an acronym for a prog rock band that I could not identify.
Sigh of relief after the click.
This is a breath of fresh air me thinks - thank you for posting.

To the critics section (hello Margaret), What guitar player could carry the mantle?
The Stones got lucky with Ron Wood - how do you keep the business going with this big a change? What a cross to carry making that choice - who to choose.. and a thousand opinions coming at the people making the choice...

Anthony's vocals.. and Mick is so perfect all the time?
I have to say seeing these guys do this at the Pyramids is as inspiring as the last Stones show I saw in Amsterdam. They are there on the date and they entertained.
It is never going to be 1988 again.
It will never be 1973 again.

Get on a tread mill set it to fast walk and hold 2 kg dumbbells over your head clapping for 2 hours and sing at the same time, then report back how it goes.

The point is - these guys - the Stones - (I still call them) the Chili Peppers, these guys who get out and do it are inspiring.

I support any of these guys getting out there and showing it like it is today.
(shout out to Nick Mason)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 00:35 by soundboard.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:21

My criticism of Anthony has nothing to do with his performance...he's an amazing frontman.

But it's common knowledge among rock fans that Anthony is NOTORIOUSLY bad at staying in tune live. This has been discussed going back to the '90s.

Mick certainly has his shortcomings as vocalist, but he works hard, takes care of his voice, and stays in tune.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2019 03:07

He was never really a "singer" in the traditional sense ala Mick to begin with imo - his roots were funky/rap/punk as heard on a majority of their early releases.
His stage presence was more dominant/important than actual "singing" while he shouted and rapped, but I do like his singing voice (once it evolved), and when he could stay in tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 03:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 18, 2019 15:44

Great band, great show. Those guys still got it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 18, 2019 16:38

Great show and fabulous setting, a nice change from Arenas and Stadiums, brings us back to a time when rock actually meant something, not that I ever really knew that period I suppose ;-)

I saw them live a couple of years ago and they were terrific, great hooks, bouncing all around the stage, sharing a lot of energy, really interacting together. I don't really get the comment about "I noticed how present the off stage players are though", there's a guy on keyboards for some songs and ? Wikipedia says they have an additional bass player on stage. And yes Frusciante is gone, what are they going to do about it ? Pack up ? The albums they've released with Klinghoffer have been solid and he holds his weight on stage.

Bit of a tough crowd here I find, especially in light of what our favorite band has put us through over the years...I get that you may not like their music, and possibly the singing/rapping, but they've come up with a lot of great hooks over the years, have kept the faith, and they streamed a superb show for all to enjoy, for free, what's not to like. I guess we all wish the Stones did that once, Cuba would have been a good opportunity for that, dream on !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-18 16:41 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: March 21, 2019 00:54

As for the extra musicians, they have a keyboard player who kind of sits back next to the drum set, and an extra percussion player. The extra bass player comes out to perform on the song “Go Robot”, as it actually has 2 bass parts! I think I read that he’s actually a crew member who gets his time to shine every time they play that tune.

Klinghoffer has really come into his own. I watched some footage of them playing Rock in Rio in 2011, one of his first gigs as lead guitarist, and the difference is huge! Not only has his playing and his singing improved tenfold, but so has his confidence in that role. He actually started with the band in 2006, as a backup keyboard/rhythm guitarist role. Fruscianti was his friend, mentor and musical collaborator.

I have not seen the band since 2006, in the Frusciante era. That’s more to do with having young kids and being really busy, and at times, having a low concert budget. But the next time they come through Columbus I will go.

Date: March 21, 2019 14:29

Has the video been taken down??

I was in the process of watching it this past week, and it got deleted off my Watch Later list.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: March 21, 2019 17:11

dcba
I agree 100%
Sure, Josh is a decent guitarist, but he's basically just doing a John impersonation on stage. It's hard to watch. I realize the two of them are friends, but still. It's gotten to the point where Josh even does a solo cover song at their concerts, just like John did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-21 17:14 by Boognish.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 16, 2019 00:11

rock & good news!!!!! the guitar division just got a huge boost! John Frusciante is back in the band!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-16 00:29 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 16, 2019 00:26

This is great news

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home