Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SiriusXM Top 1000 Classic Rock Songs
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:19

I know most people here hate these countdowns but it's always interesting to see what they come up with. Yesterday SiriusXM did their countdown and this is what they came up with.

SiriusXM Top 1000

As far as our favourite band is concerned their top song 'Sympathy For the Devil' came in at #6. Satisfaction, which I think should have been #1 came in at a shocking #73! In between we had JJF(#60), HTW(#50), YCAGWYW(#28) and Gimme Shelter at #20.

Starway to Heaven is of course #1...Here are the Top 25...if any one is interested, lol!

30 Pink Floyd - Time
29 Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
28 Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want
27 Led Zeppelin - Over The Hills And Far Away
26 The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
25 The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
24 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Refugee
23 Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
22 John Lennon - Imagine
21 Cream - White Room
20 Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
19 The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun
18 AC/DC - Back In Black
17 U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16 Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
15 Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
14 Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2
13 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
12 The Doors - Light My Fire
11 Boston - More Than A Feeling
10 Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
9 Van Halen - Eruption/You Really Got Me
8 Eagles - Hotel California
7 The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
6 Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
5 Bob Dylan - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
4 Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower
3 Derek & The Dominos - Layla
2 The Beatles - A Day In The Life
1 Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 14:23 by ThePaleRider.

Re: SiriusXM Top 1000 Classic Rock Songs
Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:15

Can somebody explain why the Beatles are in the top 1000 of best "rock" songs?

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 15, 2019 17:08

Gigbag

Probably because they were a rock band and amongst other things, they have some great 'rock' songs in their catalogue!

Date: March 15, 2019 20:07

Gigbag

Probably because they turned on, influenced and inspired most of the other bands on the list...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 15, 2019 20:23

They promoted this as the most influential songs in classic rock.
An "epic countdown of the most colossal cuts from the architects of classic rock"
Great list, actually...fun to listen to but the limited run station is off the air now.

Top 100 RECAP:

Led Zeppelin = 8 songs in the Top 100
The Rolling Stones = 7 songs in the Top 100
Beatles = 7 songs in the Top 100 plus 1 each from John, Paul and George

so I guess the Beatles win.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 15, 2019 21:14

No Jimi Hendrix in the Top 30, but Van Halen makes the Top 10? Is "Refugee" Tom Petty's best song?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 21:31

How can Van Halen's meh redo of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" be ranked way ahead of the Kinks who wrote it, played it, made it all of ours?

These lists tend to just irritate me. Maybe I am getting old and grumpy.

Date: March 15, 2019 21:34

marianna
No Jimi Hendrix in the Top 30, but Van Halen makes the Top 10? Is "Refugee" Tom Petty's best song?

Jimi is #4

Date: March 15, 2019 21:36

timmyj3
How can Van Halen's meh redo of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" be ranked way ahead of the Kinks who wrote it, played it, made it all of ours?

Certainly because of the Eruption intro...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 15, 2019 23:38

The list is consistent with what these "over the radio" boring "Classic Rock" stations play - Long Live Streaming !!!!!!

Date: March 15, 2019 23:57

Kurt

If thats how they promoted it then it's a joke that "Like a Rolling Stone is not in the Top 10. Knockin on Heaven's Door at 5? What did the heck did that influence?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 16, 2019 00:45

Kurt
marianna

Jimi is #4

Thanks, the small font is hard to read on a small screen. I was also expecting "Purple Haze" to make the list.

Date: March 16, 2019 01:40

ThePaleRider
Kurt

If thats how they promoted it then it's a joke that "Like a Rolling Stone is not in the Top 10. Knockin on Heaven's Door at 5? What did the heck did that influence?

Ask Axl Rose...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 01:40 by Kurt.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 16, 2019 06:56

Eagles and a cover song? Please!

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 16, 2019 07:18

Gigbag

After the Hamburg multi club shows they came back as tight as a drum cover. A good little rock & roll outfit from Liverpool I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 07:49 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 16, 2019 10:40

Chris Fountain
The list is consistent with what these "over the radio" boring "Classic Rock" stations play - Long Live Streaming !!!!!!

Couldn’t agree with you more, it’s absolutely painful how mundane and routine classic rock stations have become here in the states. It amazes me everyday what they don’t play. Here in Boston on the three classic or oldies stations every single hour of everyday you will hear a Queen, Journey, Billy Joel, Elton John, Or Eagles song. I can’t remember the last time I heard Ten years after , James gang or Jeff Beck on these stations. They have even pretty much thrown the sixties out the window except for of course the Beatles and some Stones warhorses.

They broke me!!! I’m not even saying I like it but I put the Country stations on now it’s easier on the ear than the torcherous steady dose of Dream on, Smoke on the Water, Old time rock n roll, Black Dog , you get my point.

I really hope it’s better in your home country where ever that maybe. Because it’s @#$%& painful here in the states.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 16, 2019 17:21

Chris Fountain

I agree that streaming is great but with streaming there is a risk of creating a bubble in which we listen only what we think we like. It is more difficult to be exposed to music that we don't know exist when only listening to music of our own choosing.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 16, 2019 18:07

rollmops
Chris Fountain

I agree that streaming is great but with streaming there is a risk of creating a bubble in which we listen only what we think we like. It is more difficult to be exposed to music that we don't know exist when only listening to music of our own choosing.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Yes. However, as we age, does it really matter if we are "pigeon-holed" into our own genre of music? For example , I think Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes (Teddy Pendergrass) are great; even Lou Reed. More than half of the people younger than me don't even know who these groups are. So I guess the younger audience is just as much in the same bubble with their music.
There are only a few great groups that transcend Generations such as the Stones, Bruce S., Bowie maybe Queen, Sinatra, Van Morrison, Wu Tang Clan Thoughts?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 16, 2019 19:38

I listen to Sirius/XM; I like the "Underground Garage" and "The Spectrum" channels where they play songs that often don't know. They have DJ's who speak about the music. That's keep me posted on what is new and on the old songs that I missed.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home