Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 13, 2019 23:40

LazarusSmith

What is the better intro to "great Stones" for the newbie, HONK or HOT ROCKS?

A newbie needs both Compilations because 'Hot Rocks' is 64-71 while HONK is 71-16.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 14, 2019 00:07

What is limited edition about HONK? How long will I the out?

Date: May 14, 2019 09:49

Thank you for info. Unfortunately I haven't got turntable and even if I have, that box would be too expensive for me. So I do not have access to that version, unfortunately. It would be great to hear less compressed A Bigger Bang, especially first three songs are ruined by compression.

Spud
jumpingjackflash5
Yes, I mostly prefer the older ones.

A Bigger Bang unfortunately was also "hot" mastered. Here versions with good dynamic range do not exist.

The version in the Abbey Road 1971-2016 vinyl Remasters box is much improved in this respect...and the whole album far more enjoyable as a result.

This boxed set as a whole is a bit of a curate's egg ...But ABB is like a whole new album .
It sounds so much more natural, with instruments & voices breathing more like they should.

As ABB was digital from the outset.This proves that it is production values & choices, rather than the technology itself, that are the problem with so many Digital era releases.

Date: May 14, 2019 10:08

The cassette-mix is pretty good, actually smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 14, 2019 10:31

jumpingjackflash5
Thank you for info. Unfortunately I haven't got turntable and even if I have, that box would be too expensive for me. So I do not have access to that version, unfortunately. It would be great to hear less compressed A Bigger Bang, especially first three songs are ruined by compression.

[[/quote]

It's a shame that new masters weren't used for the download release.

The guy who did the vinyl was given a choice of flat digital masters to work from for the whole series, and did remark that he used as little compression as possible .

[...and it was too expensive for me too...but, luckily, I had a "special" birthday grinning smiley]

Date: May 14, 2019 10:34

smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 14, 2019 12:33

I wonder why it was called Honk ? There's no evidence of Country Honk on it, or Honky Tonk Women for that matter ??

Date: May 14, 2019 15:22

CJFP
What is limited edition about HONK? How long will I the out?

yeah. I had things by artists that were "limited" that were around years after the release

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 16:37

tomcasagranda
I wonder why it was called Honk ? There's no evidence of Country Honk on it, or Honky Tonk Women for that matter ??
The lack of thought and care that goes into their album titles and cover art is astounding.

I can't think of a lazier band when it comes to those two things.

Date: May 14, 2019 16:38

I like the HONK art. It is new and different.

Date: May 14, 2019 16:43

CJFP
It just feels way too stock for me...and too derivative of the Jump Back color/shape scheme.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 14, 2019 17:27

Any new sales information ?
What figure needs to be reached for Universal to make a profit?

Date: May 14, 2019 17:29

keefriff99
CJFP
It just feels way too stock for me...and too derivative of the Jump Back color/shape scheme.
I see what you mean.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 14, 2019 17:36

CJFP
keefriff99
CJFP
I see what you mean.

HA HA! It's new... but not exactly different!

Date: May 14, 2019 17:38

keefriff99
tomcasagranda
The lack of thought and care that goes into their album titles and cover art is astounding.

Titles in waiting for future compilations include "Woof" , "Squark" and "Harrumph"

Date: May 14, 2019 17:38

Hey, at least they reversed the blue/red color scheme! Thinking outside the "box(es)" for sure!

Date: May 14, 2019 17:43

HMS
It´s been seven years since GRRR. A new generation of music fans needed to be introduced to the Stones´ great body of work. HONK wasn´t designed for us die-hards. For those they offered the bonus-disc-version (at a very reasonable price I´d like to say).
I do not need disc 1 & 2 but listened to it and it was a lot of fun to hear the songs in random order. Disc 3 is ok (i think Dancing With Mr. D is much better than the original). Every band/artist releases a sampler from time to time, it´s part of the business, so I don´t mind it all.

It's not that they need a new one - JUMP BACK re-entered the charts after FORTY LICKS was over with. HOT ROCKS continues to sell. Playlists have killed the hits comp... except for those that are still working in an old skool mindset of releasing things over and over with very few changes. HONK is the 26th compilation released, excluding the singles box sets other than THE LONDON YEARS, which, if it were counted per record, it would be 29 compilations, compared to 30 studio albums.

Date: May 14, 2019 17:47

GasLightStreet
[ HONK is the 26th compilation released, excluding the singles box sets other than THE LONDON YEARS, which, if it were counted per record, it would be 29 compilations, compared to 30 studio albums.

That is a very scary statistic !

Date: May 14, 2019 17:51

Spud
GasLightStreet
[ HONK is the 26th compilation released, excluding the singles box sets other than THE LONDON YEARS, which, if it were counted per record, it would be 29 compilations, compared to 30 studio albums.

That is a very scary statistic !

If HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKS were counted per record, it would be 31 compilations to 30 studio albums. I'm sure some of those others, like ROLLED GOLD, would bump it up close to 40.

Date: May 14, 2019 17:58

Spud
keefriff99
tomcasagranda

Titles in waiting for future compilations include "Woof" , "Squark" and "Harrumph"
Haha.

I know the concept of the LP, album art, liner notes, etc. have all been de-valued in today's digital/streaming world.

Hell, I don't buy physical media anymore, but I appreciate some thought going into album titles and good cover art, and you'd think the Stones, coming from an era when that DID matter, would try a little harder.

Date: May 14, 2019 17:58

I wonder which song has been on the most compilations ?

That's a nice puzzler for somebody to play with grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 14, 2019 18:05

jlowe
Any new sales information ?
What figure needs to be reached for Universal to make a profit?

Physical sales are very low, under 10k sold in the UK and 25k sold in the US after 3 weeks, worldwide is still under 100k sold.

It doesn't matter anymore, the album will be on the charts for a while thanks to streaming, it has 46 songs on it to collect streams each week.

Date: May 14, 2019 18:07

Spud

Don't quote me on it, but it looks like it's between Satisfaction and Brown Sugar, with JJF close.

Date: May 14, 2019 18:48

keefriff99
Spud

Don't quote me on it, but it looks like it's between Satisfaction and Brown Sugar, with JJF close.

Satisfaction is on BIG HITS, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, MILESTONES, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 9

Jumpin' Jack Flash is on BIG HITS 2, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 8

Brown Sugar is on HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, REWIND, THE LONDON YEARS, JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS, ROLLED GOLD (2007), GRRR, HONK: 9

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 14, 2019 21:43

[datebook.sfchronicle.com]

sounds like a lotta posters here could have written this.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 14, 2019 21:49

hopkins
[datebook.sfchronicle.com]

sounds like a lotta posters here could have written this.

caption on the main photo says it all:

The Rolling Stones, the Jamiroquai years

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 14, 2019 23:00

3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2019 04:54

mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

unsurprising really. you're only selling to the absolute diehards (everyone older than 40 that wants this material already has it), and a very few new fans.

I indulged once again...it's getting ridiculous though.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:24

treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

unsurprising really. you're only selling to the absolute diehards (everyone older than 40 that wants this material already has it), and a very few new fans.

The reality is that only people over 40-45 is the one buying physical product, you will never sell an album to anyone under 40 nowadays, 70% of the market is streaming and this compilation is only a shuffle playlist released to the streaming market with various physical variations for the aging diehards ready to buy anything over and over again.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:41

georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

The reality is that only people over 40-45 is the one buying physical product, you will never sell an album to anyone under 40 nowadays, 70% of the market is streaming and this compilation is only a shuffle playlist released to the streaming market with various physical variations for the aging diehards ready to buy anything over and over again.

That's only partly true, georgelicks. My 10-year-old son has become a Beatles fan, i.e. we buy the albums for him ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home