Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2019 01:57

IF Mick were to say 'This is from HONK' the following songs would be?

Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

Uh...

Anything else?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 14, 2019 03:16

I still remember when a journalist asked Mick to say "Grrr" out loud. Got him pretty embarrassed. The same goes for Honk, you're not going to hear him talk about it

Date: July 14, 2019 03:55

Nikkei
I still remember when a journalist asked Mick to say "Grrr" out loud. Got him pretty embarrassed. The same goes for Honk, you're not going to hear him talk about it

WOT?

That's HILARIOUS!!!!

Perhaps he had no idea what it was called. You know, he says Heartbreaker is from BLACK AND BLUE and so on so...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 14, 2019 03:59

New bumper sticker?: "Honk to upset Mick" grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 14, 2019 12:00

GasLightStreet
Mathijs
I find the live tracks on Honk utterly un-listenable. Darryl Jones never was my fave bassist, but on these tracks he is god awful. I think it is impossible to find another bass player with less sense of swing.

Mathijs

Wow. That's pretty bad. Have you liked any of their live releases since 1995? Dancing With Mr D is pretty good.

I thought the second disc of Live Licks was ok.

But I just hate everything about Darryl's playing. His godawful trebly, highly compressed sound, the way he slaps the snares onto the fret board, the way he bends the strings, but most of all his total lack of any sense for funk and swing, for the roll in the rock. It's unbelievable how terrible he sounds.

Compare Wyman's and Jones's Mr. D: now that is a Bill Wyman lesson on how to make a three note bass line swing, just by letting it breathe by the pure timing of his phrasing. It's rock solid, it leaves all the room to the guitarists and singer, but man does it make the song swing and have swagger.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 10:39 by Mathijs.

Date: July 14, 2019 12:25

Darryl plays that part to count for Keith to come in. He didn't do that in Hamburg, and they totally lost it for some seconds.

But I agree totally. A very different approach..

Date: July 14, 2019 12:28

I agree that Bill was the better man for the Stones. His old school fat sound just fits the Stones better. Darryl belongs to the Jazz and fusion departement in which he was outstanding. I never understood why the Stones hired Jones, or he joined the Stones. Probably for the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 12:29 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 14, 2019 16:38

TheflyingDutchman
I agree that Bill was the better man for the Stones. His old school fat sound just fits the Stones better. Darryl belongs to the Jazz and fusion departement in which he was outstanding. I never understood why the Stones hired Jones, or he joined the Stones. Probably for the money.

he was one of several guys who auditioned and watts picked him sa from what I recall he had the final say.

who would you have they picked? from what I recall it was between jones and doug wimbish who played with mick already and played on bridges to babylon and is not part of the band living colour.

who were the others who auditioned? noel redding, stu cook, me'shell ndege'ocello, Joey Spampinato , a few others.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2019 11:08

It's not that they hired Darryl in the first place. He actually sounded pretty good on the Voodoo Lounge record. But it went downhill pretty fast. You would have thought they would have heard Darryl's decline rather quickly, and replaced him, like the Who did with Kenny Jones, and got the fabulous Zak Starkey. Keith knows. They're just too lazy to replace him. Maybe he's a likeable guy, doesn't complain, ask for too much money, or any participation in the band. He's an employee who does an adequate job.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 15, 2019 14:33

Spampinato would have been much better. And there are lots of other ones.
Wonder how the Stu Cook session was going.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 15, 2019 14:40

CousinC

Yes, Glen Matlock for one.
Former Sex Pistol.

Date: July 15, 2019 15:08

CousinC

from what I recall the story i heard about stu cook was everyone who auditioned was asked to play the say thing. I think it was "miss you", "brown sugar", and a short jam . this was so the band and Charlie could get a feel for each player. supposedly cook played those 3 requirements then went about calling out songs randomly and the band obliged and he played with them over 2 hours. he left thanked them all and said something like "I had to see how long you'd guys let me keep jamming because this was probably the only chance i'll ever get to play with the rolling stones". I think keith then replied "If you weren't in CCR the auditioned would have ended almost 2 hours ago".

not sure if that meant they weren't really feeling his playing and would have just sent him home or just that he would have gotten the same amount of time as everyone else if he wasn't a former CCR member

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 15:10 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 15, 2019 15:17

keefriffhard4life
CousinC

from what I recall the story i heard about stu cook was everyone who auditioned was asked to play the say thing. I think it was "miss you", "brown sugar", and a short jam . this was so the band and Charlie could get a feel for each player. supposedly cook played those 3 requirements then went about calling out songs randomly and the band obliged and he played with them over 2 hours. he left thanked them all and said something like "I had to see how long you'd guys let me keep jamming because this was probably the only chance i'll ever get to play with the rolling stones". I think keith then replied "If you weren't in CCR the auditioned would have ended almost 2 hours ago".

not sure if that meant they weren't really feeling his playing and would have just sent him home or just that he would have gotten the same amount of time as everyone else if he wasn't a former CCR member
Hard to tell with Keith. I know he can be a blunt jerk, but the negative interpretation of that quip would be pretty nasty to say to someone even by his standards.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 15, 2019 15:39

I now remember that Cook story, but not who told it.
Was that Cook himself? Would have been quite nasty indeed.

Date: July 15, 2019 16:46

CousinC
I now remember that Cook story, but not who told it.
Was that Cook himself? Would have been quite nasty indeed.

I believe it was cook who told he and he had a bit of a chuckle so I took it as the comment about it ending 2 hours before meant he would have just played the standard stuff like everyone else and then be done had he not be a member of CCR

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2019 18:55

boogaloojef
Why not just release a third disc of the best studio tracks omitted from the Super Deluxe version of Honk?

YES YES YES!

...and retitle the album to say...GRRR!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 19:32

you can buy the vinyl color red. Still on a web.se no.sea discogs

Date: July 17, 2019 00:11

Seems like the triple black vinyl is fairly rare...ordered that last week.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:55

mick64

you can buy the vinyl color red. Still on a web.se no.sea discogs

HONK Red-Vinyl (Spotify-Edition) is still available in Japan at [Diskunion.net] .

Date: July 17, 2019 17:29

The only promoting of HONK I saw at the show was a few seconds of some kind of thing on the opening video.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 17, 2019 20:54

Live Tracks, and no Mick Taylor...
For me he consistently added to and enhanced the stones.

Slippin Away
Streets Of Love
Satisfaction (before they made him play ac on it)
Silver Train
CYHMK
Midnight Rambler

I miss not being able to hear him with the band live on a CD (post 70s)
Same with Bill.

For the people who'd buy this i think those who are fans would be swayed that bit more to dig deep £$£ for the chance to hearing either or both Bill and Taylor playing with the band again live on record esp for whats possibly the last time.

Just saying

Date: July 20, 2019 11:59

IHONK Red-Vinyl (Spotify-Edition) is still available in Japan at [Distinción.net
the page no.envian cd and vinyl outside Japan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 20, 2019 12:45

mick64

the page no.envian cd and vinyl outside Japan

Maybe a Proxy-Shopping-Service from Japan (like SamuraiBuyer, JapanBuyingAgent or ZenMarket) could help. Or a Japanese Stones-Fan is so kind and helpful.

Beside that there're currently 2 offers at [www.Discogs.com] ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-20 13:15 by Irix.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 20, 2019 13:18

I find it quite ridiculous every time to compare Bill-Jones, bassists of different styles, it's not complicated to understand. One or the other may like it better, but if they were the same it would be an imitation and therefore a scholastic bass player. It's just my opinion of course ....

Date: July 25, 2019 19:43

the triple CDs of Eu and .EE. are different the print of the cover and cd so that it interests me they are going to bring me one of the USA

Date: July 30, 2019 09:40

some videos the US version of 3 cd the second CD is red and others is orange is true or not

Date: July 30, 2019 23:25

mick64
some videos the US version of 3 cd the second CD is red and others is orange is true or not

It looks llike mine is the US version...Purple, Red, Yellow, in that order.

Honk deluxe - Sold out?
Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: September 6, 2019 15:56

Hey all,
After a cursory look for it, I searched for Honk’s 3 CD version yesterday. Apparently it’s sold out at the Stones online store, is priced at around £59 at Amazon UK - I found one copy in a chain store - Is this finally a deluxe edition that was exactly that?

Re: Honk deluxe - Sold out?
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:12

Saw the 3cd version this week at FNAC in Paris, 18€.

Re: Honk deluxe - Sold out?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:16

sandandglue
Hey all,
After a cursory look for it, I searched for Honk’s 3 CD version yesterday. Apparently it’s sold out at the Stones online store, is priced at around £59 at Amazon UK - I found one copy in a chain store - Is this finally a deluxe edition that was exactly that?

Another compilation which will be out of print soon and replaced by another one in 4 years.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home