Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2019 23:29

HMS
GasLightStreet
TATTOO YOU is a fantastic original studio album.

eye popping smiley...sigh.

True...it ain't no Dirty Work...and that's a freakin' relief!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 12, 2019 01:08

treaclefingers
HMS
GasLightStreet

TY isn´t dirty work, it´s Mick´s & producer´s work.cool smiley

Dirty Work at least is an original studio album by the Rolling Stones - and may I dare to say not only their best 80s´ release but also their best release of (mostly) original material since 1986.
It sold more copies than Ya Ya´s.
Yes indeed.

Stones-fans all over the world gave Dirty Work a loving embrace and considered it a freakin relief after awful She´s The Boss.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 01:34 by HMS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2019 02:17

HMS
treaclefingers
HMS
GasLightStreet

TY isn´t dirty work, it´s Mick´s & producer´s work.cool smiley

Dirty Work at least is an original studio album by the Rolling Stones - and may I dare to say not only their best 80s´ release but also their best release of (mostly) original material since 1986.
It sold more copies than Ya Ya´s.
Yes indeed.

Stones-fans all over the world gave Dirty Work a loving embrace and considered it a freakin relief after awful She´s The Boss.

STEEL WHEELS is 1969-1972 compared to the 1986 disaster.

Date: July 12, 2019 02:41

GasLightStreet

Steel Wheels probably was the first Rolling Stones album ever that left many fans all over the world somewhat disappointed. - Yet Sad Sad Sad & Hold On To Your Hat & Break The Spell have Exile-quality. (Those songs, as good as they are, still are not as good as 80% of DW´s songs.)

Date: July 12, 2019 02:59

HMS
GasLightStreet

Steel Wheels probably was the first Rolling Stones album ever that left many fans all over the world somewhat disappointed. - Yet Sad Sad Sad & Hold On To Your Hat & Break The Spell have Exile-quality. (Those songs, as good as they are, still are not as good as 80% of DW´s songs.)

Ahhhhhhh...... the ridiculousness finds new ways to say absolutely nothing as usual again.

Troll troll troll yer bloat, ridiculously up the stream...

STEEL WHEELS outsold THE 1986 DISASTER by over a million copies in the US alone and continues to do so. So not only was it not "probably" the first album for "over the world somewhat disappointed", it was a magnificent return to being vital, which there was absolutely zero of with the previous "album" aka the worst Rolling Stones album ever aka fake Stones.

Oh and they toured for it.

Your percentages are ignorantly biased... as usual. Nothing on THE WORST STONES ALBUM OF ALL TIME tops Sad Sad Sad yet alone Mixed Emotions, which is more tuneful than all of anything on IT DOESN'T WORK. Winning Ugly could give Rock And A Hard Place a fit, two horrendous songs competing for the eternal thrown of blandness, which somehow they'd continue to add to later, and Hold Back, which I hilariously like, it's good entertainment with Mick's faux singing - it's just as awful as Hold On To Your Hat. Hilarious how they both hold something yet come up with nothing except pathetic album covers.

Ergo, as expected, the usual.

Date: July 12, 2019 03:35

steel wheels was good but voodoo lounge was great

Date: July 12, 2019 15:58

keefriffhard4life
steel wheels was good but voodoo lounge was great

Artistically speaking Steel Wheels was disappointing compared to DW, Undercover, ER SG.

Voodoo Lounge was king of disappointment, imo.

Yet there are stellar moments reflecting former greatness on both albums - but just a few. The majority of SW and VL content is simply bland, uninteresting and subpar. Some songs I would even consider "crap".

Date: July 12, 2019 16:16

GasLightStreet
STEEL WHEELS outsold THE 1986 DISASTER by over a million copies in the US alone and continues to do so. So not only was it not "probably" the first album for "over the world somewhat disappointed", it was a magnificent return to being vital, which there was absolutely zero of with the previous "album" aka the worst Rolling Stones album ever aka fake Stones.

Oh and they toured for it.

Steel Wheels sold a lot of copies not for its quality but just for being some sort of "comeback album". Keith and Mick had a war going on, both released solo albums in 1988 and people thought the Stones were done. Then they "buried the hatchet" and released a new album in 1989. Of course the public interest was huge. "The Stones are back again!" A lot of people bought Steel Wheels, true, but many of them were disappointed after hearing it. I am one. 1989 was the turning point for the Stones, they turned into business men, releasing subpar albums just to justify another tour. They settled their conflicts for the money only.

DW was the last album with their focus on music, not just money.
Thinking of the difficult circumstances DW was one hell of an album. It contains some of their best work ever since the very early 70s. There´s no second of blandness on it. It rocks, it rolls, it kicks ass just like a Stones-album should.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:36

GasLightStreet

STEEL WHEELS [...] it was a magnificent return to being vital, which there was absolutely zero of with the previous "album" aka the worst Rolling Stones album ever aka fake Stones.

Yakety-yak. As usual just babbling, turning facts upside down, no substance. There never was a "fake Stones" album. Steel Wheels is everything but vital, most songs are boring, especially Keith´ songs to make the disappointment even bigger. Steel Wheels with its horrible 80s sound (Almost Hear You Sigh, Terrifying, Rock And A Sad Face, Continental Drift) is the disaster not DW.

Date: July 12, 2019 16:47

HMS
GasLightStreet

STEEL WHEELS [...] it was a magnificent return to being vital, which there was absolutely zero of with the previous "album" aka the worst Rolling Stones album ever aka fake Stones.

Yakety-yak. As usual just babbling, turning facts upside down, no substance. There never was a "fake Stones" album. Steel Wheels is everything but vital, most songs are boring, especially Keith´ songs to make the disappointment even bigger. Steel Wheels with its horrible 80s sound (Almost Hear You Sigh, Terrifying, Rock And A Sad Face, Continental Drift) is the disaster not DW.

You describe DIRTY WORK with excellent precision, you just spell it wrong.

Date: July 12, 2019 17:06

GasLightStreet

You describe DIRTY WORK with excellent precision, you just spell it wrong.

Wherever you buried DW, dig it out, listen to it and get blown away.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 18:11

Both Dirty Work and Steel Wheels sound like '80s albums...that's not inherently a bad thing to me.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 12, 2019 21:06

In my memory SW wasn't the comeback album it should have been. It didn't sell that well (as acknowledged by Mick J. at the time), nobody that I knew liked it, and I mean both fans and non-fans. That's when everybody that at least I knew, stopped being fans.
I still like the album for what it is (half good/half bad), there is no such thing as a 'bad' Stones record, although there's one or two of them that come dangerously close in my opinion.

Date: July 12, 2019 21:20

SomeGuy
In my memory SW wasn't the comeback album it should have been. It didn't sell that well (as acknowledged by Mick J. at the time), nobody that I knew liked it, and I mean both fans and non-fans. That's when everybody that at least I knew, stopped being fans.
I still like the album for what it is (half good/half bad), there is no such thing as a 'bad' Stones record, although there's one or two of them that come dangerously close in my opinion.

It wasn't until a few years later that STEEL WHEELS started to lose its reputation. At the time of its release and for a while after until the tour stopped, everyone I knew liked it just fine.

No one I know listens to it anymore.

Date: July 12, 2019 21:45

An improved edition of HONK that wouldn't surprise me to be seen at Target in 2025.

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Rocks Off”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Just Your Fool”
7. “Emotional Rescue”
8. “Rough Justice”
9. “Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)”
10. “Beast Of Burden”
11. “Hot Stuff”
12. “It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll (But I Like It)”
13. “Dancing With Mr D”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Mixed Emotions”
17. “Dancing With Mr D”
18. “Waiting On A Friend”

Date: July 12, 2019 21:57

GasLightStreet
An improved edition of HONK that wouldn't surprise me to be seen at Target in 2025.

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Rocks Off”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Just Your Fool”
7. “Emotional Rescue”
8. “Rough Justice”
10. “Beast Of Burden”
11. “Hot Stuff”
13. “Dancing With Mr D”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Mixed Emotions”
17. “Dancing With Mr D”

Nice, but Dancing With Mr D twice? - although dropping Harlem Shuffle and once more neglecting One Hit (To The Body)
cannot be considered a real improvement...sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 22:08 by HMS.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2019 22:16

HMS
GasLightStreet

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Rocks Off”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Just Your Fool”
7. “Emotional Rescue”
8. “Rough Justice”
10. “Beast Of Burden”
11. “Hot Stuff”
13. “Dancing With Mr D”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Mixed Emotions”
17. “Dancing With Mr D”

Nice, but Dancing With Mr D twice? - although dropping Harlem Shuffle and once more neglecting One Hit (To The Body)

Of course Dancing with Mr D will be included twice...the second will be the
live track from the London 2022 show...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2019 23:01

Steel Wheels was a fantastic album, especially after the terrible Undercover and only slightly better Dirty Work. It should have been their swan song, with Slipping Away being their goodbye. 95% of what came after in the studio was pointless or a weak echo to past glory.

Date: July 12, 2019 23:34

HMS
GasLightStreet

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Rocks Off”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Just Your Fool”
7. “Emotional Rescue”
8. “Rough Justice”
10. “Beast Of Burden”
11. “Hot Stuff”
13. “Dancing With Mr D”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Mixed Emotions”
17. “Dancing With Mr D”

Oops.

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Rocks Off”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Just Your Fool”
7. “Emotional Rescue”
8. “Rough Justice”
10. “Beast Of Burden”
11. “Hot Stuff”
13. “Fool To Cry”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Mixed Emotions”
17. “Dancing With Mr D”

There.

MUCH better than the original.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2019 00:28

…… slow day at the balloon factory …..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 13, 2019 00:37

Rockman
…… slow day at the balloon factory …..

Balloons are bad for the environment.

Besides, why not keep the value of HONK going? It's their latest greatest newest album!

Date: July 13, 2019 16:11

Imagine if HONK looked more like this:

1. “Start Me Up”
2. “Brown Sugar”
3. “Jumpin' Jack Flash”
4. “Miss You”
5. “Tumbling Dice”
6. “Honky Tonk Women”
7. “Rocks Off”
8. “Rough Justice”
10. “Let's Spend The Night Together”
11. “Just Your Fool”
12. “Street Fighting Man”
13. “Paint It Black”
14. “Doom And Gloom”
15. “Love Is Strong”
16. “Gimme Shelter”
17. “Emotional Rescue”
18. “Beast Of Burden”

The biggest complaint about HONK (online) was that there are no pre-1971 tracks on it.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:28

Why not just release a third disc of the best studio tracks omitted from the Super Deluxe version of Honk?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:36

IMHO

fans needs a boxset with outtakes & alternates ....

60TH ANNIVERSARY WOULD BE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY,

DON WAS SAID THAT THEY HAVE READY A DELUXE TATTOO, FEW YEARS AGO ....

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:48

Today I listened to DW, it's not the best Stones album, but it's a good, very energetic album. I like the sound, the guitars and the whole set. I personally believe that the Stones have never made a bad album, obviously they are a band that embraces many generations with different musical sensibilities, accepting that there are not only their classic albums, but there is much more and if you don't like it there they are the Duran Duran!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 13, 2019 23:35

winning Ugly from DW. Sounds like a Duran Duran song. Harlem Shuffle is a okay cover and sleep tonight is the best song. The best thing musically are the sound of the guitars

Date: July 14, 2019 00:06

Testify
Today I listened to DW, it's not the best Stones album, but it's a good, very energetic album. I like the sound, the guitars and the whole set. I personally believe that the Stones have never made a bad album, obviously they are a band that embraces many generations with different musical sensibilities, accepting that there are not only their classic albums, but there is much more and if you don't like it there they are the Duran Duran!

A fan of something means there is criticism based on observation, a science of the subject. A personal belief is different: it's not based in any kind of peer or scientific review.

That same kind of mentality can be read into music reviewers ie critics that are able to discern good music from bad based on a modal backbone of existence.

Hence why THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is viewed as one of their worst albums: it doesn't hold up for the times for its obvious existence and its time when it came out is full of wonky material.

What people tend to forget is that no matter how well a song is written or recorded or produced or edited or presented, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. TSMR has 2 sides of the edge in the overall picture of their history and discography - great songs and horrible songs. Yet the album is a snuff.

DIRTY WORK doesn't even come close to that.

Look at the source: enegertic for a mouse or a cheetah?

DW isn't even a mouse AT BEST. Pandering record promoting quotes at the time don't match up to other similar quotes about other albums in the past when context is viewed - and known.

Saying there is no bad Rolling Stones album is no different than saying there is no bad Picasso painting.

Of course there is. Picasso didn't have the luxury of fanboys. The Stones do.

The idea that DW is talked about here a lot is absurd and entertaining, which could arguably be said for anything after it minus the weight of reality in context. In the real world no one talks about anything after TATTOO YOU (other than anyone that remembers REWIND) because it's obvious why: nothing is as good. For some people, sure, but they are the exception, and their views aren't accepted in a cultural manner within the context and history of The Rolling Stones.

Context can prove that.

What do you think will get a crowd moving and grooving? Start Me Up or One Hit (To The Body)?

What a dumb question.

Date: July 14, 2019 00:10

mariano
IMHO

fans needs a boxset with outtakes & alternates ....

60TH ANNIVERSARY WOULD BE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY,

DON WAS SAID THAT THEY HAVE READY A DELUXE TATTOO, FEW YEARS AGO ....

I concur. At this point what does it matter? They're not exactly artists anymore.

Gazza has said many times, basically, why would the Stones release anything unfinished.

I say WHY NOT. None of it interferes with the original albums. If there was a TATTOO YOU OUTTAKES, no one would mistake it for TATTOO YOU.

If there were outtakes from VOODOO-BANG, no one would confuse them, unless they simply don't care, don't know and... don't care.

The Beatles released a plethora of that kind of stuff.

The Stones should as well.

Date: July 14, 2019 01:52

GasLightStreet
[... mostly nonsense...]

No one in the whole wide world would call an album that contains:

- One Hit (To The Body)
- Harlem Shuffle
- Winning Ugly
- Dirty Work
- Had It With You

a "bad album". Oh, I have to correct myself: ONE does. One person only.

You don´t need to be fanboy to like DW. When it was released a lot of my friends who weren´t Stones-fans actually liked the album. And yes indeed: There is NO "bad Stones-album" in Stones´ history.

Date: July 14, 2019 01:55

HMS
GasLightStreet
[... mostly nonsense...]

No one in the whole wide world would call an album that contains:

- One Hit (To The Body)
- Harlem Shuffle
- Winning Ugly
- Dirty Work
- Had It With You

a "bad album". Oh, I have to correct myself: ONE does. One person only.

You don´t need to be fanboy to like DW. When it was released a lot of my friends who weren´t Stones-fans actually liked the album. And yes indeed: There is NO "bad Stones-album" in Stones´ history.

AH I LOVE IT!!!!

EXCELLENT!

You say you don't need to be a fanboy to like DIRTY WORK... yet you define it.

Oh unto thee, behold! There are people in the REAL WORLD that completely dismiss DIRTY WORK. The very same people that know that.... oh nevermind.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home