Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 02:14

GasLightStreet
Is HONK a limited edition comp? Doesn't seem like it.
Yes. It is limited to the amount of copies they can sell.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 8, 2019 03:06

HMS
keefriffhard4life
so I could be wrong and maybe a stones historian can correct me but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes? weird if you do because as far as I know the bands original studio versions of those 3 tunes never hit the top 15 in the uk or the usa

"A well known song" is completely different from "a hit". A number one hit by any artist from the 60s or 70s/80s can be completely forgotten today, other non charting songs from that period can be still in everyone´s ear. - - - WH, SFM & SFTD obviously weren´t hits at least in the US/UK.

keep changing your definitions . everyone can see what you do in the threads . a hit is considered anything that reached the USA billboard top 40

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2019 06:12

iraq0708
GasLightStreet
Is HONK a limited edition comp? Doesn't seem like it.
Yes. It is limited to the amount of copies they can sell.smiling bouncing smiley

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh boy. That's... quite limited.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:16

HMS
Stoneage
Never understood the point with buying the same songs twice. So, I must admit I have passed on almost every compilation. I have a unique compilation though that
very few have in their collection - The Dressman RS compilation: Hot Stuff! And it was cheap, around 5 Euro (sale) if I remember right.

Never seen that one before. But for sure it is as good as REWIND or JUMP BACK. (And it has YGMR to make it even nicer.)

It's not. For one, it lacks a few key tracks: She's So Cold, Heartbreaker and Hang Fire. Two, it has You Got Me Rocking on it, a very poor choice to represent a single compilation, especially one that mis-credits Jagger-Richards to a song they didn't write.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:24

HMS
GasLightStreet
Shattered was #31 in the US. It's a hit song. People love it. It's on the radio a lot.

She's So Cold was 33 and 26 in the UK and US. It's a hit song. It gets played on the radio. People love it.

Waiting On A Friend was 50 and 13 in the UK and US. It's a hit song because... a LOT of people know it and it gets played on the radio.

One Hit (To The Body) was 80 and 28... technically a hit in the US but hardly anyone knows it and it's not played on the radio so for people it's not a hit.

Mixed Emotions was 35 and 5, a hit song in the US... but not many know it and it's not played on the radio so... it's not a hit in the same sense One Hit isn't a hit. It was their last Top 10 single in the US.

The definition you created has nothing to do with reality... as usual.

None of the songs you are mentioning can be considered a hit, except Mixed Emotions. #31, #33, #28, #35... come on let´s be serious - no man in the real world would ever say such peak numbers "are hits". The aforementioned "official" definition is a theoretical construct, completely abstract, useless in real life. My definition isn´t abstract/theoretical but reflecting what real people in the real world would consider a "hit". Start Me Up was a hit, nobody would ever deny it, but telling someone Shattered peaking at #31 "was a hit" would make real people burst with laughter. Forget about all those academical definitions of this and that - the "official" hit-definiton is good for nothing and not worth a dime. A song that did not hit at least the top 15 isn´t a hit in real life. A song peaking at #17 would be a minor hit (in fact not much to write home about), a song peaking at #3 of course would be a top hit. A song peaking at #38 isn´t worth talking about, it is clearly a failure, I´d even like to say a flop.

You're a chemtrailer, a flat earther, full of alternative facts. Real people like Shattered and consider it a hit song and have to focus their ears to hear the Stones with One Hit - IF they ever hear it.

In the UK, the Stones' motherland, One Hit was a complete failure, even by your so called "standards", as a single.

A brilliant display of why it's not and never will be featured on a greatest hits compilation.

Keep on antivaxxing in Stones world.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:28

HMS
keefriffhard4life
...but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes?

WS, SFM & SFTD are "well known songs" to people who are interested in the Stones, including most of the so called casual fans... But outside that group of people... I´m not too sure about the public in general...

WS, SFM & SFTD are for sure not as well known to the general public as, let´s say... My Way, New York New York, The House Of The Rising Sun, Blowin´ In The Wind just to name a few. So maybe WS, SFTD & SFM aren´t even "well known songs" at all.

Everyone knows who Street Fighting Man and Sympathy For The Devil is by.

I doubt 99.98&9/10ths% of the general music public would know who Wandering Spirit is by.

SFM and SFTD are indeed hit songs... just not chart wise. They're hits because people know them.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:39

keefriffhard4life
HMS
GasLightStreet
Shattered was #31 in the US. It's a hit song. People love it. It's on the radio a lot.

She's So Cold was 33 and 26 in the UK and US. It's a hit song. It gets played on the radio. People love it.

Waiting On A Friend was 50 and 13 in the UK and US. It's a hit song because... a LOT of people know it and it gets played on the radio.

One Hit (To The Body) was 80 and 28... technically a hit in the US but hardly anyone knows it and it's not played on the radio so for people it's not a hit.

Mixed Emotions was 35 and 5, a hit song in the US... but not many know it and it's not played on the radio so... it's not a hit in the same sense One Hit isn't a hit. It was their last Top 10 single in the US.

None of the songs you are mentioning can be considered a hit, except Mixed Emotions. #31, #33, #28, #35... come on let´s be serious - no man in the real world would ever say such peak numbers "are hits". The aforementioned "official" definition is a theoretical construct, completely abstract, useless in real life. My definition isn´t abstract/theoretical but reflecting what real people in the real world would consider a "hit". Start Me Up was a hit, nobody would ever deny it, but telling someone Shattered peaking at #31 "was a hit" would make real people burst with laughter. Forget about all those academical definitions of this and that - the "official" hit-definiton is good for nothing and not worth a dime. A song that did not hit at least the top 15 isn´t a hit in real life. A song peaking at #17 would be a minor hit (in fact not much to write home about), a song peaking at #3 of course would be a top hit. A song peaking at #38 isn´t worth talking about, it is clearly a failure, I´d even like to say a flop.

so I could be wrong and maybe a stones historian can correct me but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes? weird if you do because as far as I know the bands original studio versions of those 3 tunes never hit the top 15 in the uk or the usa

A hit song...

It's not necessarily defined by how it charted but for also being widely played or long selling. A song released in, oh, 1978 as a single that didn't chart well but still gets played on a the radio on a regular basis in TWENTY NINETEEN is called... Shattered.

That's a hit song.

A great example of a Rolling Stones hit song that didn't chart but is widely played is:

Sympathy For The Devil

There's another one as well:

Gimme Shelter

Wild Horses #28 Billboard

Street Fighting Man charted #48 Billboard.

Sympathy For The Devil did not chart.

All four of those are hit songs.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:40

HMS
GasLightStreet

It's almost food spitting hysterical how wrong you love to be. BRAVO! Please continue.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 8, 2019 13:34

I wouldn't say Shattered charting at 31 was a major disappointment for the 3rd U.S. single released from the album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 16:30 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 8, 2019 15:38

GasLightStreet
HMS
keefriffhard4life
...but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes?

WS, SFM & SFTD are "well known songs" to people who are interested in the Stones, including most of the so called casual fans... But outside that group of people... I´m not too sure about the public in general...

WS, SFM & SFTD are for sure not as well known to the general public as, let´s say... My Way, New York New York, The House Of The Rising Sun, Blowin´ In The Wind just to name a few. So maybe WS, SFTD & SFM aren´t even "well known songs" at all.

Everyone knows who Street Fighting Man and Sympathy For The Devil is by.

I doubt 99.98&9/10ths% of the general music public would know who Wandering Spirit is by.

SFM and SFTD are indeed hit songs... just not chart wise. They're hits because people know them.

i agree. HMS is just back peddling hard now

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 8, 2019 17:15

keefriffhard4life
... a hit is considered anything that reached the USA billboard top 40

Technicaly, theoretically and on paper. Not in the real world. #34 is a flop in the real world. I don´t care about stupid definitions created by technocrates when I know their definition is BS in real life.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:23

HMS
keefriffhard4life
... a hit is considered anything that reached the USA billboard top 40

Technicaly, theoretically and on paper. Not in the real world. #34 is a flop in the real world. I don´t care about stupid definitions created by technocrates when I know their definition is BS in real life.

dude this is real life. we are alive and those are the definitions set forth to determine a one hit wonder meaning that's what I considered a hit.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:27

GasLightStreet
It's not. For one, it lacks a few key tracks: She's So Cold, Heartbreaker and Hang Fire. Two, it has You Got Me Rocking on it, a very poor choice to represent a single compilation, especially one that mis-credits Jagger-Richards to a song they didn't write.

Don´t forget Brown Sugarsmiling smiley

As a matter of fact any compilation lacks key tracks, even a 80-song compilation like GRRR!. Someone will always miss something. Hang Fire isn´t really a key track. If that was a key track, what would you call One Hit (To The Body)? She´s So Cold & Heartbreaker aren´t key tracks either, maybe they belong to someone´s favorites but that means not they are key tracks. To me it seems this compilation represents most of the key tracks of that era, it is incomplete of course - like any other comp - but the tracklist is enjoyable thru & thru, just like the tracklists of REWIND or JUMP BACK are.

YGMR was the last time the Stones sounded like the Stones of old.
It´s glorious. I bet in the 70s it would have been a smash hit, reaching easily the top 5.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:36

boogaloojef
I wouldn't say Shattered charting at 31 was a major disappointment for the 3rd U.S. single released from the album.

Nobody in real life does, just one kook in the world does.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:40

GasLightStreet
You're a chemtrailer, a flat earther, full of alternative facts. Real people like Shattered and consider it a hit song and have to focus their ears to hear the Stones with One Hit - IF they ever hear it.

In the UK, the Stones' motherland, One Hit was a complete failure, even by your so called "standards", as a single.

A brilliant display of why it's not and never will be featured on a greatest hits compilation.

Keep on antivaxxing in Stones world.

Real people like Shattered but they are very aware of the fact that ist wasn´t "a hit".

One Hit (To The Body) was a flop indeed and shouldn´t be on a "Greatest Hits"-compilation. You are right about that.

But One Hit (To The Body) belongs to their very best latter day songs (no matter how badly it has failed in the charts) anyone would agree, and the song should be prominently featured on any "The Very Best Of"-compilation.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:41

HMS
GasLightStreet

Don´t forget Brown Sugarsmiling smiley

As a matter of fact any compilation lacks key tracks, even a 80-song compilation like GRRR!. Someone will always miss something. Hang Fire isn´t really a key track. If that was a key track, what would you call One Hit (To The Body)? She´s So Cold & Heartbreaker aren´t key tracks either, maybe they belong to someone´s favorites but that means not they are key tracks. To me it seems this compilation represents most of the key tracks of that era, it is incomplete of course - like any other comp - but the tracklist is enjoyable thru & thru, just like the tracklists of REWIND or JUMP BACK are.

YGMR was the last time the Stones sounded like the Stones of old.
It´s glorious. I bet in the 70s it would have been a smash hit, reaching easily the top 5.

As usual... it just keeps getting better. Factually wrong, theoretically wrong, opinioninly wrong - just wrong wrong wrong.

One Hit is not a key track. In fact, no song from DW is a key track.

You're just like an anti-vaxxer, cherry picking certain things to make up your own facts while ignoring history... and facts.

Ah but it would be so boring... kind of like when JumpingJackOLantern and a plethora of other names that kook came up with disappeared. iorr.org needs its kooks.

Date: July 8, 2019 17:49

GasLightStreet
A hit song...

It's not necessarily defined by how it charted but for also being widely played or long selling. A song released in, oh, 1978 as a single that didn't chart well but still gets played on a the radio on a regular basis in TWENTY NINETEEN is called... Shattered.

That's a hit song.

A great example of a Rolling Stones hit song that didn't chart but is widely played is:

Sympathy For The Devil

There's another one as well:

Gimme Shelter

Wild Horses #28 Billboard

Street Fighting Man charted #48 Billboard.

Sympathy For The Devil did not chart.

All four of those are hit songs.

No. No. No. Those songs are not "hit songs" but they belong to their very best songs, a lot of folks knows them, they still got some airplay. But they are no "hit songs", they are "classic Stones songs" that stood the test of time. Satisfaction is a "hit song" as well as a "classic". Gimme Shelter isn´t a "hit song" but a "classic". Now you see the difference.

Date: July 8, 2019 18:02

boogaloojef

You know that almost every song of Michael Jackson´ Thriller was released as a single and each song reached very high positions if memory does serve right. Thriller is one of Michael Jacksons best known albums and Some Girl is one of the STones´s best known albums. And yet most of it´s singles failed in the charts. That of course means that Shattered peaking at #31 was a disappointment (for a band like the Stones, one of the most famous bands ever, a single not hitting the top 10 is always a disappointment, that´s clear for everyone to see).

Date: July 8, 2019 18:16

GasLightStreet
Factually wrong, theoretically wrong, opinioninly wrong - just wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong in your opinion, but yet right right right. You only need to do a little thinking to see that I am right and my arguments in fact aren´t argueable.

Date: July 8, 2019 18:42

HMS
boogaloojef

You know that almost every song of Michael Jackson´ Thriller was released as a single and each song reached very high positions if memory does serve right. Thriller is one of Michael Jacksons best known albums and Some Girl is one of the STones´s best known albums. And yet most of it´s singles failed in the charts. That of course means that Shattered peaking at #31 was a disappointment (for a band like the Stones, one of the most famous bands ever, a single not hitting the top 10 is always a disappointment, that´s clear for everyone to see).

Thriller was also one of the best selling albums of all-time and at one point was the world's best selling album (Not sure if it still is or not), Some Girls was not. A bit of a difference in the comparison there.

Date: July 8, 2019 19:11

HMS
GasLightStreet
Factually wrong, theoretically wrong, opinioninly wrong - just wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong in your opinion, but yet right right right. You only need to do a little thinking to see that I am right and my arguments in fact aren´t argueable.

I'm not a kook nor an idiot. I know what a hit song is. Everyone here but you knows what a hit song is.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2019 19:15

HMS
boogaloojef

...and when have they ever had a follow-up single, never mind the 3rd single, from any album ever hit the top 10?

Has this ever happened? So with your logic we must be quite disappointed in the Rolling Stones. Try a little harder guys!

Date: July 8, 2019 22:08

The follow-up singles were all taken from albums everybody who was interested in their music had bought already. Only die-hard-completists bought the follow-up singles. No use in buying a single when the song is on an album I have already bought. - Maybe those singles would have peaked higher with a non-album track on the flip-side. But then again - a song like Shattered in fact isn´t worth more than ending up at #31.

Their singles were indeed disappointing chartwise post 1981 (not necessarely their fault) but their albums still were doing well.

Date: July 8, 2019 22:19

GasLightStreet
I'm not a kook nor an idiot. I know what a hit song is. Everyone here but you knows what a hit song is.

A single peaking at #34 a hit?
Ha Ha Ha Ha... ridiculous, oh so obviously ridiculous.
...forget those unrealistic definitions - stick to reality, stick to my definition:

#1-5 a top hit
#6-10 a hit
#11-15 a moderate hit
#16-20 a minor hit
#21-... a disaster

Date: July 8, 2019 22:52

HMS
The follow-up singles were all taken from albums everybody who was interested in their music had bought already. Only die-hard-completists bought the follow-up singles. No use in buying a single when the song is on an album I have already bought. - Maybe those singles would have peaked higher with a non-album track on the flip-side. But then again - a song like Shattered in fact isn´t worth more than ending up at #31.

Their singles were indeed disappointing chartwise post 1981 (not necessarely their fault) but their albums still were doing well.

Completists want the singles whether they have the album or not. In addition, some singles are worth getting for the different mixes or non-lp b-sides.

Date: July 9, 2019 00:50

HMS
GasLightStreet

A single peaking at #34 a hit?
Ha Ha Ha Ha... ridiculous, oh so obviously ridiculous.
...forget those unrealistic definitions - stick to reality, stick to my definition:

#1-5 a top hit
#6-10 a hit
#11-15 a moderate hit
#16-20 a minor hit
#21-... a disaster

You stick to your anti-vaxxingesque Stones "fan" trolling world, the rest of us will stick with reality, listening to great albums like TATTOO YOU and EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:36

Meanwhile, in the real world... smiling smiley

Date: July 9, 2019 18:44

GasLightStreet
You stick to your anti-vaxxingesque Stones "fan" trolling world, the rest of us will stick with reality, listening to great albums like TATTOO YOU and EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

There you go, but don´t forget what kind of album TY actually is... smoking smiley

Date: July 9, 2019 20:10

HMS
GasLightStreet

There you go, but don´t forget what kind of album TY actually is... smoking smiley

I'll never forget, like 99.99% of Stones fans around the world, that TATTOO YOU is a fantastic original studio album.

Date: July 9, 2019 21:24

GasLightStreet
TATTOO YOU is a fantastic original studio album.

eye popping smiley...sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 21:31 by HMS.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home