Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Date: July 6, 2019 17:47

HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS
boogaloojef
In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week.

....ridiculously absurd, imo.
#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

so hendrix entire career was a disaster?

Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, All Along The Watchtower were big hits in the UK. His original studio albums and a live album were big in both UK and US. So his career surely wasn´t a disaster.

hendrix never had a top 10 hit single in america.

There´s a world outside of the US.

yes but we are talking specifically about what you said and based that on the country i live in hendrix was not great according to you

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 6, 2019 17:57

... well, maybe he wasn´t great in India toosmiling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 6, 2019 18:29

@Georgelicks

How many copies has it sold worldwide, in UK and in US?!
What are the most high chart position reached in UK and on Billboard?!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 6, 2019 19:01

Including streaming points: 72,000 copies in the US, 18,000 copies in the UK and about 200k worldwide.

It peaked at #8 in the UK and #23 in the US.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 6, 2019 21:15

Really poor sales...Maybe for the postponed Tour

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 6, 2019 21:53

They should include the new record with tickets, that's it ...

Date: July 6, 2019 22:35

GasLightStreet
1. the fans fact that DIRTY WORK is their worst album ever.

That "fans fact" is only in your head, only in your head.
If there was indeed such a thing as "their worst album ever" it clearly wouldn´t be DW. It would be Between The Buttons (UK-version). Of all Stones-albums BTB has the smallest amount of enjoyable songs.

Date: July 6, 2019 22:49

boogaloojef
Actually the Time Waits For No One Anthology contains quite a few tracks which do not appear on the other compilations. None of these tracks appear on Honk.

All Down The Line

Star Star

If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud (live)

Hand Of Fate

Time Waits For No One (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Crazy Mama (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Interesting compilation indeed. But it seems that it is only available as a very expensive import. So I would not recommend it to a casual fan. With all its minor faults HONK is the best you can get.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 6, 2019 23:08

HMS
boogaloojef
Actually the Time Waits For No One Anthology contains quite a few tracks which do not appear on the other compilations. None of these tracks appear on Honk.

All Down The Line

Star Star

Hand Of Fate

Time Waits For No One (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Crazy Mama (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Interesting compilation indeed. But it seems that it is only available as a very expensive import. So I would not recommend it to a casual fan. With all its minor faults HONK is the best you can get.

Depends on where you live. It was released in most territories but not North America.
It was essentially a contract filler after the Stones left Atlantic for EMI in the UK and the rest of the world. They elected to stay with Atlantic in North America.
It was released by WEA a year after Some Girls.
[www.discogs.com]
The title track is actually about 10 seconds longer than the version on IORR due to an extended fade on Charlie's drums.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 23:19 by Deltics.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 6, 2019 23:12

mailexile67
Really poor sales...Maybe for the postponed Tour

A greatest hits album in 2019 is usless, even more without new stuff on it, and even more a Rolling Stones hits album.

The album was released to put a playlist of 40+ songs on Spotify, it will remain on the charts for a long time thanks to streaming.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 6, 2019 23:21

Never understood the point with buying the same songs twice. So, I must admit I have passed on almost every compilation. I have a unique compilation though that
very few have in their collection - The Dressman RS compilation: Hot Stuff! And it was cheap, around 5 Euro (sale) if I remember right.

Date: July 6, 2019 23:23

Deltics
HMS
boogaloojef

All Down The Line

Star Star

Hand Of Fate

Depends on where you live. It was released in most territories but not North America.
It was essentially a contract filler after the Stones left Atlantic for EMI in the UK and the rest of the world. They elected to stay with Atlantic in North America.
[www.discogs.com]
The title track is actually about 10 seconds longer than the version on IORR due to an extended fade on Charlie's drums.

Was there ever a CD release of it?
It seems there is only a very expensive japanese SHM-CD version available, released in 2019.

Date: July 6, 2019 23:30

Stoneage
Never understood the point with buying the same songs twice. So, I must admit I have passed on almost every compilation. I have a unique compilation though that
very few have in their collection - The Dressman RS compilation: Hot Stuff! And it was cheap, around 5 Euro (sale) if I remember right.

Never seen that one before. But for sure it is as good as REWIND or JUMP BACK. (And it has YGMR to make it even nicer.)

Date: July 6, 2019 23:31

HMS
Deltics
HMS
boogaloojef

All Down The Line

Star Star

Hand Of Fate

[www.discogs.com]

It seems there is only a very expensive japanese SHM-CD version available, released in 2019.

I think that was it's first time on CD.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2019 23:45

First on appeared on the Japanese SACD in 2011 …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 6, 2019 23:59

Discogs says the SHM-CD is the first cd release of it. If you know where to look, you can find one for a little over $20.

You can make a good cdr compilation by combining the track listings from Made In The Shade and Time Waits For No One and omitting the duplicated tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-07 00:23 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 7, 2019 01:44

Deltics
HMS
Deltics
HMS
boogaloojef

All Down The Line

Star Star

Hand Of Fate

[www.discogs.com]

Yes, Japanese SHM is the first time on CD. But it has no extended versions or anything unique as it based on 2009 remaster. Brickwall sound and copy-paste job of album versions.

Date: July 7, 2019 01:57

ironbelly
Deltics
HMS
Deltics
HMS
boogaloojef

All Down The Line

Star Star

Hand Of Fate

[www.discogs.com]

Yes, Japanese SHM is the first time on CD. But it has no extended versions or anything unique as it based on 2009 remaster. Brickwall sound and copy-paste job of album versions.

Thanks ironbelly, I had an idea that they used the "short" version of TWFNO but I wasn't sure.
As you say, a copy-paste collection thrown together with scant regard for accuracy

Date: July 7, 2019 02:11

Okey, but when is TONK scheduled?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 7, 2019 19:44

Is HONK a limited edition comp? Doesn't seem like it.

Date: July 7, 2019 19:45

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
HMS
HONK is the definitive comp for 1971-2018 material. It is way better than REWIND, JUMP BACK or any other i don´t even remember.

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- All of the famous 70s/80s-hits
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
- long time followers have to buy it for the bonus CD only
- some unforgivably cringeworthy songs included here - Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Streets of Love)
- three songs from Blue And Lonesome is too much
- only one song from glorious DIRTY WORK

I agree, with the exception of Streets Of Love, that I find reminiscent of the Black And Blue days (not that that was such a good album but the fact alone does it for me). One Hit could have been a nice addition and the two B2B songs should have been replaced by Anybody Seen My Baby.

I only got Honk for the live cd though.

If a song was a hit or not is not so relevant as at least 70% of the songs weren't hits anyway.

This shows that you don't have a fathom aspect of their back catalogue.

You fail, as usual, to acknowledge their legacy as it is respected, and throw in your trolling DW attitude. A majority of Stones fans yet alone the casual Stones fans have:

1. the fans fact that DIRTY WORK is their worst album ever.

2. the fact that casual fans won't like paltry Stones songs, which, therefor, DIRTY WORK is a completely pointless album to acknowledge with a hits comp other than Harlem Shuffle, the only thing a majority of casual fans have heard, and for good reason.

Are you talking to me?

No. I think I clicked the wrong post...

Date: July 7, 2019 19:54

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
boogaloojef
In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week.

....ridiculously absurd, imo.
#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

You define your absurdity brilliantly. Kook trollville mayor.

The definition I created is more close to real life than any other. Imagine Keith calling Mick saying "We got it made we got it made, it´s marvelous - our new single peaked at #36! What lucky day! Come over let´s make another album, I bet it would peak at #24, wouldn´t that be something!"

A song that didn´t hit the top 10 is not considered a hit by real life people.

Shattered was #31 in the US. It's a hit song. People love it. It's on the radio a lot.

She's So Cold was 33 and 26 in the UK and US. It's a hit song. It gets played on the radio. People love it.

Waiting On A Friend was 50 and 13 in the UK and US. It's a hit song because... a LOT of people know it and it gets played on the radio.

One Hit (To The Body) was 80 and 28... technically a hit in the US but hardly anyone knows it and it's not played on the radio so for people it's not a hit.

Mixed Emotions was 35 and 5, a hit song in the US... but not many know it and it's not played on the radio so... it's not a hit in the same sense One Hit isn't a hit. It was their last Top 10 single in the US.

The definition you created has nothing to do with reality... as usual.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2019 20:22

Thought we'd be seeing some the graphics of HONK during this tour splashed across the big screens, but no. In fact I don't think Mick has even mentioned HONK yet at any of the shows.
Maybe it's available at the merch stands? Seems they'd sell quite a few mopre copies if it was as almost every casual fan and their Grandma would want a copy.

Date: July 7, 2019 22:19

GasLightStreet
Shattered was #31 in the US. It's a hit song. People love it. It's on the radio a lot.

She's So Cold was 33 and 26 in the UK and US. It's a hit song. It gets played on the radio. People love it.

Waiting On A Friend was 50 and 13 in the UK and US. It's a hit song because... a LOT of people know it and it gets played on the radio.

One Hit (To The Body) was 80 and 28... technically a hit in the US but hardly anyone knows it and it's not played on the radio so for people it's not a hit.

Mixed Emotions was 35 and 5, a hit song in the US... but not many know it and it's not played on the radio so... it's not a hit in the same sense One Hit isn't a hit. It was their last Top 10 single in the US.

None of the songs you are mentioning can be considered a hit, except Mixed Emotions. #31, #33, #28, #35... come on let´s be serious - no man in the real world would ever say such peak numbers "are hits". The aforementioned "official" definition is a theoretical construct, completely abstract, useless in real life. My definition isn´t abstract/theoretical but reflecting what real people in the real world would consider a "hit". Start Me Up was a hit, nobody would ever deny it, but telling someone Shattered peaking at #31 "was a hit" would make real people burst with laughter. Forget about all those academical definitions of this and that - the "official" hit-definiton is good for nothing and not worth a dime. A song that did not hit at least the top 15 isn´t a hit in real life. A song peaking at #17 would be a minor hit (in fact not much to write home about), a song peaking at #3 of course would be a top hit. A song peaking at #38 isn´t worth talking about, it is clearly a failure, I´d even like to say a flop.

Date: July 7, 2019 22:37

HMS
GasLightStreet

None of the songs you are mentioning can be considered a hit, except Mixed Emotions. #31, #33, #28, #35... come on let´s be serious - no man in the real world would ever say such peak numbers "are hits". The aforementioned "official" definition is a theoretical construct, completely abstract, useless in real life. My definition isn´t abstract/theoretical but reflecting what real people in the real world would consider a "hit". Start Me Up was a hit, nobody would ever deny it, but telling someone Shattered peaking at #31 "was a hit" would make real people burst with laughter. Forget about all those academical definitions of this and that - the "official" hit-definiton is good for nothing and not worth a dime. A song that did not hit at least the top 15 isn´t a hit in real life. A song peaking at #17 would be a minor hit (in fact not much to write home about), a song peaking at #3 of course would be a top hit. A song peaking at #38 isn´t worth talking about, it is clearly a failure, I´d even like to say a flop.

so I could be wrong and maybe a stones historian can correct me but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes? weird if you do because as far as I know the bands original studio versions of those 3 tunes never hit the top 15 in the uk or the usa

Date: July 7, 2019 23:17

keefriffhard4life
so I could be wrong and maybe a stones historian can correct me but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes? weird if you do because as far as I know the bands original studio versions of those 3 tunes never hit the top 15 in the uk or the usa

"A well known song" is completely different from "a hit". A number one hit by any artist from the 60s or 70s/80s can be completely forgotten today, other non charting songs from that period can be still in everyone´s ear. - - - WH, SFM & SFTD obviously weren´t hits at least in the US/UK.

Date: July 7, 2019 23:27

Okey, maybe all their songs are hits? I'm sure one can prove that. But in my world their last big hit was Start Me Up. Released 38 years ago. And judging by their modern day setlists they seem to think the same.

Date: July 7, 2019 23:42

keefriffhard4life
...but do you consider "wild horses", "street fighting man" and "sympathy for the devil" hits and well known stones tunes?

WS, SFM & SFTD are "well known songs" to people who are interested in the Stones, including most of the so called casual fans... But outside that group of people... I´m not too sure about the public in general...

WS, SFM & SFTD are for sure not as well known to the general public as, let´s say... My Way, New York New York, The House Of The Rising Sun, Blowin´ In The Wind just to name a few. So maybe WS, SFTD & SFM aren´t even "well known songs" at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-07 23:44 by HMS.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 7, 2019 23:48

Best example perhaps: Stairway To Heaven. Not a hit because it was never a single release. Yet everybpdy knows it.
Sympathy is probably one of the few non-single songs by the Stones that almost everyone knows.

Date: July 7, 2019 23:51

Stoneage
But in my world their last big hit was Start Me Up. Released 38 years ago. And judging by their modern day setlists they seem to think the same.

SMU for sure was their last real big one and the Stones know it.
I bet the Stones wouldn´t consider Shattered (#31) a hit (not even a completely drugged out Keith would.)...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home