Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 18:38 by HMS.

Date: July 5, 2019 18:40

DandelionPowderman
HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS
A song that wasn´t at least in the top 10 can´t be considered "a hit", imo.

what in the world

Harlem Shuffle: #5 US-charts = a hit
Rock And A Hard Place: #23 US-charts = a disappointment

A disappointment for you, but still a hit smiling smiley

So you consider any song that "hits" the Top 100 a "hit"?smiling smiley

Date: July 5, 2019 18:42

keefriffhard4life
i meant there are tons of songs by lots of bands that weren't top 10 hits yet are signature tunes for those bands

Indeed. Those songs weren´t hits, though.
So if those bands release a compilation it has to be named "The Very Best of". Calling it "Greatest Hits" would be incorrect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 19:09 by HMS.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 5, 2019 19:52

In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week. The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles has used this definition since the 1970s. Some argue that reaching at least the top 100—since the Official Charts Company increased the chart size on their website on 23 June 2007—lets a single be considered a hit due to the increasing singles market after chart rules included download singles.

A hit single is variously called a number one hit, a top 10 hit, a top 20 hit or a top 40 hit, depending on its peak position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 19:54 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 5, 2019 20:04

SomeGuy
Today, in some countries an artist has to sell like three copies to enter the charts smiling smiley

Not anymore, most of the singles charts worldwide are streaming based now, you need hundreds or millions of streams to reach the charts, the #100 hit in the UK has to reach 800-900k streams in a week, a Top 10 about 3-4 million.
The numbers in the US are 4 or 5 times more than that, about 3 million streams to reach the Top 100, 12-15 million to reach the Top 10.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 5, 2019 20:09

HMS
keefriffhard4life
i meant there are tons of songs by lots of bands that weren't top 10 hits yet are signature tunes for those bands

Indeed. Those songs weren´t hits, though.
So if those bands release a compilation it has to be named "The Very Best of". Calling it "Greatest Hits" would be incorrect.

A Top 40 song is a hit, 60 years ago and now.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 5, 2019 20:12

Charting at #23 means that there were 22 songs that were more popular during the one week that that song was at its peak in popularity.
I like Rock And A Hard Place btw, seems like I'm the only one though smiling smiley

Date: July 5, 2019 20:40

HMS
DandelionPowderman
HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

A US Hot Billboard top 25-tune is definitely a hit.

Date: July 5, 2019 20:44

boogaloojef
In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week.

....ridiculously absurd, imo.
#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

Date: July 5, 2019 21:13

HMS
boogaloojef
In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week.

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

Well it is the standard definition of a "hit" which they use in the U.S. and U.K.

You can create your own if you like.

A disaster would be a non-charting single.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 21:19 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 5, 2019 23:30

HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

so hendrix entire career was a disaster?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2019 23:37

How reliable are those lists in the days of downloading?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 23:43 by Stoneage.

Date: July 6, 2019 00:37

keefriffhard4life
HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, All Along The Watchtower were big hits in the UK. His original studio albums and a live album were big in both UK and US. So his career surely wasn´t a disaster.

Date: July 6, 2019 01:14

georgelicks
SomeGuy
Today, in some countries an artist has to sell like three copies to enter the charts smiling smiley

Not anymore, most of the singles charts worldwide are streaming based now, you need hundreds or millions of streams to reach the charts, the #100 hit in the UK has to reach 800-900k streams in a week, a Top 10 about 3-4 million.
The numbers in the US are 4 or 5 times more than that, about 3 million streams to reach the Top 100, 12-15 million to reach the Top 10.

It's the other way around, they acknowledge streaming numbers because no actual records get sold anymore these days. Should a physical release sell, say 300,000 in one week, it would chart at no 1 alright. Purely theoretical of course these days.

Date: July 6, 2019 01:29

boogaloojef
In the United States and the United Kingdom, a single is usually considered a hit when it reaches the Top 40 of the official Billboard Magazine’s Hot 100 or the Top 75 of the UK Singles Chart and stays there for at least one week. The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles has used this definition since the 1970s. Some argue that reaching at least the top 100—since the Official Charts Company increased the chart size on their website on 23 June 2007—lets a single be considered a hit due to the increasing singles market after chart rules included download singles.

A hit single is variously called a number one hit, a top 10 hit, a top 20 hit or a top 40 hit, depending on its peak position.

Is that a law or so? In a technical sense, perhaps, but not in normal conversation. When I mentioned the term 'hit' I meant the latter.

Date: July 6, 2019 03:30

SomeGuy
boogaloojef

Is that a law or so? In a technical sense, perhaps, but not in normal conversation. When I mentioned the term 'hit' I meant the latter.

That is the reason to have a standard so when someone mentions "hit" you know what they are they are talking about otherwise one person's "hit" is another person's "sh*t."

For the purpose of his book The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders, music journalist Wayne Jancik defines a one-hit wonder as "an act that has won a position on Billboard's national, pop, Top 40 just once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 03:52 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2019 03:48

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
HONK is the definitive comp for 1971-2018 material. It is way better than REWIND, JUMP BACK or any other i don´t even remember.

If you don't remember them, how can HONK be better?

Why should I remember, I bet it´s basically the same songs all over.

Because it shows you don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Date: July 6, 2019 03:52

SomeGuy
HMS
HONK is the definitive comp for 1971-2018 material. It is way better than REWIND, JUMP BACK or any other i don´t even remember.

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- All of the famous 70s/80s-hits
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
- long time followers have to buy it for the bonus CD only
- some unforgivably cringeworthy songs included here - Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Streets of Love)
- three songs from Blue And Lonesome is too much
- only one song from glorious DIRTY WORK

I agree, with the exception of Streets Of Love, that I find reminiscent of the Black And Blue days (not that that was such a good album but the fact alone does it for me). One Hit could have been a nice addition and the two B2B songs should have been replaced by Anybody Seen My Baby.

I only got Honk for the live cd though.

If a song was a hit or not is not so relevant as at least 70% of the songs weren't hits anyway.

This shows that you don't have a fathom aspect of their back catalogue.

You fail, as usual, to acknowledge their legacy as it is respected, and throw in your trolling DW attitude. A majority of Stones fans yet alone the casual Stones fans have:

1. the fans fact that DIRTY WORK is their worst album ever.

2. the fact that casual fans won't like paltry Stones songs, which, therefor, DIRTY WORK is a completely pointless album to acknowledge with a hits comp other than Harlem Shuffle, the only thing a majority of casual fans have heard, and for good reason.

Date: July 6, 2019 03:54

keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

A troll mentality.

Date: July 6, 2019 04:02

HMS
DandelionPowderman
HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

What you fail to understand, with ease, is it's not necessarily selling wise but also radio play.

That's why tracks like Shattered and Emotional Rescue are more well known than something as paltry as One Hit or RAAHP because radio plays Shattered and Emotional Rescue and not garbage from DW or SW - in fact, NO songs from either are played on FM radio.

Troll along, DIRTY WORK boy. Everyone else but you knows the reality of what consists of a hits compilation, radio hits, track hits and single hits.

Date: July 6, 2019 04:04

HMS

As fun as it is to point out that your opinion doesn't line up with reality ie is wrong, as uaul, your opinion, as usual, doesn't define anything, as usualyu, especially regarding The Rolling Stones' history of hit singles, hit album tracks, and what consists of a hit single.

Yet you think that historic garbage should be included.

Troll on, DIRTY WORK boy.

Date: July 6, 2019 04:06

HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

You define your absurdity brilliantly. Kook trollville mayor.

Date: July 6, 2019 04:10

HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, All Along The Watchtower were big hits in the UK. His original studio albums and a live album were big in both UK and US. So his career surely wasn´t a disaster.

hendrix never had a top 10 hit single in america.

Date: July 6, 2019 04:23

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- All of the famous 70s/80s-hits
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
- long time followers have to buy it for the bonus CD only
- some unforgivably cringeworthy songs included here - Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Streets of Love)
- three songs from Blue And Lonesome is too much
- only one song from glorious DIRTY WORK

I agree, with the exception of Streets Of Love, that I find reminiscent of the Black And Blue days (not that that was such a good album but the fact alone does it for me). One Hit could have been a nice addition and the two B2B songs should have been replaced by Anybody Seen My Baby.

I only got Honk for the live cd though.

If a song was a hit or not is not so relevant as at least 70% of the songs weren't hits anyway.

This shows that you don't have a fathom aspect of their back catalogue.

You fail, as usual, to acknowledge their legacy as it is respected, and throw in your trolling DW attitude. A majority of Stones fans yet alone the casual Stones fans have:

2. the fact that casual fans won't like paltry Stones songs, which, therefor, DIRTY WORK is a completely pointless album to acknowledge with a hits comp other than Harlem Shuffle, the only thing a majority of casual fans have heard, and for good reason.

Are you talking to me?

Date: July 6, 2019 08:12

"As usual" probably means that he's talking to HMS smiling smiley

Date: July 6, 2019 17:02

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

If you don't remember them, how can HONK be better?

Why should I remember, I bet it´s basically the same songs all over.

Because it shows you don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Talking about their compilations containing material from 1971 on, means we are talking about the same songs more or less. Made In The Shade, Time Waits for No One isn´t very different from other compilations (and it´s btw useless to have them if you have the studio albums) - - - HONK is the one to get nowadays if you are interested in a comp of their output from 1971-2018.

Date: July 6, 2019 17:03

keefriffhard4life
HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

hendrix never had a top 10 hit single in america.

There´s a world outside of the US.

Date: July 6, 2019 17:11

GasLightStreet
HMS
boogaloojef

#1-5 = a top hit
# 6-10 = a hit
#11-15 = a moderate hit
#16-20 = a minor hit
# 21- .... = a disaster

You define your absurdity brilliantly. Kook trollville mayor.

The definition I created is more close to real life than any other. Imagine Keith calling Mick saying "We got it made we got it made, it´s marvelous - our new single peaked at #36! What lucky day! Come over let´s make another album, I bet it would peak at #24, wouldn´t that be something!"

A song that didn´t hit the top 10 is not considered a hit by real life people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 17:13 by HMS.

Date: July 6, 2019 17:20

GasLightStreet

1. Wrong, oh so wrong.
2. I bet 8 out of 10 "casual fans" would love One Hit at first hearing. Unfortunately they will never get a chance to listen to it. - Even 6 out of 10 "die hard fans" love One Hit To The Body.

Date: July 6, 2019 17:33

Actually the Time Waits For No One Anthology contains quite a few tracks which do not appear on the other compilations. None of these tracks appear on Honk.

All Down The Line

Star Star

If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud (live)

Hand Of Fate

Time Waits For No One (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Crazy Mama (Full length version as the edited version appears on Sucking In The Seventies)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 17:46 by boogaloojef.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home