Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 17:08

Back when selling a new LP included the recent new label signing album kickoff with a greatest hits, a common thing back then to end or start a record deal.

It seems odd in one way to not just update REWIND but then having a new comp on a new label is probably the actual reason why JUMP BACK came out, with the 1971-1993 part being directly connected to the Virgin Records deal starting in 1993, since the last song released on JUMP BACK was in November of 1989.

So, even though there was an all encompassing compilation in 2012 with Ume, as far as The Rolling Stones are proper, UMe didn't have a stand alone comp like Virgin did before them and, Atlantic/WEA with MADE IN THE SHADE and Atlantic/EMI with the (Atlantic contract ending) REWIND, and that may be a relatively big reason as to why UMe released HONK, because the Stones have no reason to care about such a thing, even if they don't know that JUMP BACK is still in print and REWIND available through Amazon.

HONK did create some reviews that mentioned the lack of imagination.

If looking at it from a two-disc perspective, Honk is a very good post-1970 career-spanning retrospective. It covers all of the classic hits plus their best 21st century cuts. If taken as a three-disc perspective, then this compilation needs to be looked over again.

Essentially Honk is just an extended version of Jump Back, featuring more recent entries that include songs released between Voodoo Lounge to Blue & Lonesome. Hell, even the cover is a blatant copy of its 1993 predecessor. Whether or not it’s worth it to fork out the cash for yet another Stones compilation depends on your level of fandom. Either way it’s no Hot Rocks.

[spillmagazine.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 4, 2019 18:45

HONK is the definitive comp for 1971-2018 material. It is way better than REWIND, JUMP BACK or any other i don´t even remember.

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- All of the famous 70s/80s-hits
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
- long time followers have to buy it for the bonus CD only
- some unforgivably cringeworthy songs included here - Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Streets of Love)
- three songs from Blue And Lonesome is too much
- only one song from glorious DIRTY WORK

Date: July 4, 2019 18:57

HMS
HONK is the definitive comp for 1971-2018 material. It is way better than REWIND, JUMP BACK or any other i don´t even remember.

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
- some unforgivably cringeworthy songs included here - Out Of Tears, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Streets of Love)

Not sure why Streets Of Crap is on it. That lack of DIRTY WORK songs is obvious - an album that no one remembers, no one wants to hear, the band refuse to play anything from it except for the one truly good song, and seeing that that was the only hit from it that is memorable, there's no reason to include anything on a hits comp that wasn't a hit.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 4, 2019 19:02

HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:
Dubious quality of live material
Overall totally unlistenable from start to finish due to brickwall mastering.
And I do not want to start again that they gave you album version of the songs for 2CD/3CD set and handful of singles and edits for North America 1CD edition.

Date: July 4, 2019 19:16

HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:

since when are the 2 songs from bridges to Babylon you named cringeworthy?

Date: July 4, 2019 19:17

GasLightStreet
HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:

Not sure why Streets Of Crap is on it. That lack of DIRTY WORK songs is obvious - an album that no one remembers, no one wants to hear, the band refuse to play anything from it except for the one truly good song, and seeing that that was the only hit from it that is memorable, there's no reason to include anything on a hits comp that wasn't a hit.

sorry "one hit to the body" is much better than the silly "harlem shuffle tune".

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: July 4, 2019 19:34

The modern Mr.D swings and swaggers.The live Bitch is pretty goo, too. I was in Anaheim that night.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: July 4, 2019 19:35

The modern Mr.D swings and swaggers.The live Bitch is pretty good, too. I was in Anaheim that night.

Date: July 4, 2019 19:39

keefriffhard4life
since when are the 2 songs from bridges to Babylon you named cringeworthy?

Since i listened to it for the first timesmoking smiley
- Although B2B is rather weak, it has some songs much better than that Jagger-solo-crap disguised as Rolling-Stones-songs. (Keith doesn´t even play on Saints if memory serves right...)

Date: July 4, 2019 19:44

keefriffhard4life
sorry "one hit to the body" is much better than the silly "harlem shuffle tune".

Any compilation not containing One Hit To The Body is incomplete.
Still HONK is the best you can get for your money these days.

Date: July 4, 2019 19:48

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:

I like One Hit somewhat. However, it's not a hit like Harlem Shuffle was. So it's obvious why it's never been counted on a hits comp and at this point never will.

Date: July 4, 2019 19:53

HMS
keefriffhard4life

Any compilation not containing One Hit To The Body is incomplete.
Still HONK is the best you can get for your money these days.

Nah. The idea is to have the best songs on it, hit singles and singles released that had something to say (which is why Respectable is on JUMP BACK since it was a UK single, the 2012 disaster and HONK). So... that's why One Hit will never be included - it's a dud single, it made the Top 30, not anything memorable. History shows that to be a fact.

Date: July 4, 2019 20:32

GasLightStreet
Nah. The idea is to have the best songs on it, hit singles and singles released that had something to say (which is why Respectable is on JUMP BACK since it was a UK single, the 2012 disaster and HONK). So... that's why One Hit will never be included - it's a dud single, it made the Top 30, not anything memorable. History shows that to be a fact.

Indeed One Hit mysteriously wasn´t as successful as it has deserved..

But:

"The Very Best" does not mean all tracks have to be songs that once were released as singles. And some of HONK´s (Single) songs may have been less successful than One Hit... anyway, where´s room for THREE Blue And Lonesome tracks there should easily be room for One Hitsmiling smiley - since it belongs to their "very best".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 20:34 by HMS.

Date: July 4, 2019 21:03

HMS
GasLightStreet

But:

"The Very Best" does not mean all tracks have to be songs that once were released as singles. And some of HONK´s (Single) songs may have been less successful than One Hit... anyway, where´s room for THREE Blue And Lonesome tracks there should easily be room for One Hitsmiling smiley - since it belongs to their "very best".

They're memorable. And the 3 recent singles are relative to their most recent successful album.

Date: July 4, 2019 23:19

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

But:

They're memorable. And the 3 recent singles are relative to their most recent successful album.

I'm actually happy they put 3 songs from the blues album on this release

Date: July 5, 2019 00:36

keefriffhard4life

To each his own. Imo, one of the most unimportant* albums in Stones´ history does not deserve that much space on an album that claims to be "The very best of the Rolling Stones".

*I listen to B&L quite often - it is a very enjoyable album, no doubt about it. Their most enjoying album since 1986. But it has no relevance.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 5, 2019 01:10

HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:

I agree, with the exception of Streets Of Love, that I find reminiscent of the Black And Blue days (not that that was such a good album but the fact alone does it for me). One Hit could have been a nice addition and the two B2B songs should have been replaced by Anybody Seen My Baby.

I only got Honk for the live cd though.

If a song was a hit or not is not so relevant as at least 70% of the songs weren't hits anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 01:18 by SomeGuy.

Date: July 5, 2019 16:05

HMS
keefriffhard4life

To each his own. Imo, one of the most unimportant* albums in Stones´ history does not deserve that much space on an album that claims to be "The very best of the Rolling Stones".

*I listen to B&L quite often - it is a very enjoyable album, no doubt about it. Their most enjoying album since 1986. But it has no relevance.

I agree. Why they insist on putting Harlem Shuffle from their worst album on every damn comp is ridiculous when they could put better songs from great albums on them. Sure it's a great cover but it's a bit bland.

The relevance of BAL is that it's an album of their origination and, unlike anything going back to TATTOO YOU since, their most respected release in years.

That's high relevance and worthy of being on a compilation to reveal to casual listeners.

Date: July 5, 2019 16:06

HMS

If you don't remember them, how can HONK be better?

Date: July 5, 2019 16:14

SomeGuy
HMS

Pros of HONK:
- Cheap
- Bonus Live CD
- nice artwork

cons of HONK:

I agree, with the exception of Streets Of Love, that I find reminiscent of the Black And Blue days (not that that was such a good album but the fact alone does it for me). One Hit could have been a nice addition and the two B2B songs should have been replaced by Anybody Seen My Baby.

I only got Honk for the live cd though.

If a song was a hit or not is not so relevant as at least 70% of the songs weren't hits anyway.

Look at disc 2 of HOT ROCKS: 3 songs are not singles, nor hits. One was a B-side.

A bit different though. They haven't had as many hits between 1971 and 1981 as they did previously. So they get to decide, which is why such drivel as Streets Of Love and Respectable and Rock And A Hard Place are included on these things - they were big singles that didn't do anything chart wise!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 5, 2019 16:29

They had enough Top 40 singles in the UK and US to fill 3 or 4 CD's.

Streets Of Love was a #15 hit in the UK, Respectable was #23 in the UK, Rock And A Hard Place was their last Top 40 hit in the US reaching #23.

Some big singles were never included on compilations, or only once:
Ain't Too Proud To Beg (US #17)
Hang Fire (US #20)
Going To A Go-Go (UK #26/US #25)
One Hit (US #28)
Almost Hear You Sigh (UK #31)
Highwire (UK #29)

Date: July 5, 2019 17:17

GasLightStreet
HMS

If you don't remember them, how can HONK be better?

Why should I remember, I bet it´s basically the same songs all over.

Date: July 5, 2019 17:28

georgelicks

Streets Of Love was a #15 hit in the UK, Respectable was #23 in the UK, Rock And A Hard Place was their last Top 40 hit in the US reaching #23.

Hang Fire (US #20)
One Hit (US #28)
Highwire (UK #29)

These would fall into the category of (euphemism) 'modest hits'. Not what people would call hits properly. As many say, Mixed Emotions was the last worldwide Stones hit.
Today, in some countries an artist has to sell like three copies to enter the charts smiling smiley

Date: July 5, 2019 17:35

A song that wasn´t at least in the top 10 can´t be considered "a hit", imo.

Date: July 5, 2019 17:48

One can argue about where to draw the line, but in case of the Stones the pattern during the 70s and 80s was pretty clear: new album with a new single released a few weeks in advance: a hit; then 2 or 3 more singles from the same album followed that sorta flopped, serving mainly (I guess) to keep interest in the album and tour going.
Myself being an album listener I never was much interested in single hits anyway, collecting the B sides was fun though.

Date: July 5, 2019 17:54

HMS

what in the world

Date: July 5, 2019 18:10

keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

Harlem Shuffle: #5 US-charts = a hit
Rock And A Hard Place: #23 US-charts = a disappointment

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:11

georgelicks

Hang Fire (US #20)
One Hit (US #28)
Highwire (UK #29)

They also omitted Shattered #31 in the U.S. from Honk although it has been included in a few other compilations.

Date: July 5, 2019 18:25

HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

i meant there are tons of songs by lots of bands that weren't top 10 hits yet are signature tunes for those bands

Date: July 5, 2019 18:29

HMS
keefriffhard4life
HMS

what in the world

A disappointment for you, but still a hit smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home