Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 30, 2019 05:51

georgelicks
I'm back from 3 weeks in Miami and NY, on the last day I've got the Honk 2LP version from Urban Outfitters in Herald Square at just $11.75.

It's $19.99, but you get a heavy discount at the store too: 10% and $5 for first purchase.

If someone is in NY you can grab it, not many copies available.

[www.urbanoutfitters.com]
Love!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2019 19:48

I'm going to guess the Stones, er, Mick has not said a word about HONK on the tour. Which leads me to believe that he's never said a word about any hits compilation while on tour, any tour.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 30, 2019 19:54

40% off today on Urban Outfittets, Honk 2LP at $11.99.

Date: June 30, 2019 19:54

I bought Dancing With Mr D - live, the only thing from HONK I've bought. I may still get the double CD or whatever, because I was looking at JUMP BACK the other day and just started to laugh... it's such a lazy rip off you almost have to have it.

Date: June 30, 2019 20:21

GasLightStreet
I'm going to guess the Stones, er, Mick has not said a word about HONK on the tour. Which leads me to believe that he's never said a word about any hits compilation while on tour, any tour.

that's not true. a couple of times in 2002 and 2012 I'm 99% sure mick announced "don't stop" and "doom and gloom" as songs from the bands newest release or the single from the current release or something like that

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:23

GasLightStreet

Have to check the footage to be certain, but pretty sure he mentioned "Honk" at Chicago 1 (and maybe 2)..
Said something to the effect of "This one's from ____ , and also is on our new "Honk" release..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 30, 2019 21:24

GasLightStreet
I bought Dancing With Mr D - live, the only thing from HONK I've bought. I may still get the double CD or whatever, because I was looking at JUMP BACK the other day and just started to laugh... it's such a lazy rip off you almost have to have it.

You have to get the 3CD-version including the live bonus tracks.
For the live tracks only it is a must have for any serious collector and it is pretty cheap. Every fan should have "Forty Licks", "GRRR!" (5CD-Deluxe) and "Honk" (3-CD-Deluxe). "Jump Back" is yesterday´s papers and can be stored in the basement. No use for it anymore. It is dated and doesn´t belong in the 21st century.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:31

HMS
GasLightStreet

For the live tracks only it is a must have for any serious collector and it is pretty cheap. Every fan should have "Forty Licks", "GRRR!" (5CD-Deluxe) and "Honk" (3-CD-Deluxe). "Jump Back" is yesterday´s papers and can be stored in the basement. No use for it anymore. It is dated and doesn´t belong in the 21st century.

I agree about the must-have compilations but I'd keep the "Jump Back" original CD (on Virgin records) for the better mastering.

Date: July 2, 2019 03:35

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

that's not true. a couple of times in 2002 and 2012 I'm 99% sure mick announced "don't stop" and "doom and gloom" as songs from the bands newest release or the single from the current release or something like that

If it's not true, why aren't you 100% positive?

You're not!

He generally seems to say, if anything at all, 'we've got a new one for ya'.

Date: July 2, 2019 03:39

HMS
GasLightStreet

Serious fans don't need that 2012 disaster. We have JUMP BACK or REWIND yet alone MADE IN THE SHADE or the two HOT ROCKS or BIG HITS 1 and 2.

Getting HONK would be just for giggles - and I am inclined to get the 3 record version, I just don't know when. It's not a priority.

Date: July 2, 2019 03:42

kowalski
HMS
GasLightStreet

I agree about the must-have compilations but I'd keep the "Jump Back" original CD (on Virgin records) for the better mastering.

Absolutely!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 2, 2019 14:59

GasLightStreet, kowalski, you are too serious. It seems that HMS used a little drop of poison (or sarcasm) in his post.

Date: July 2, 2019 16:12

Why should GRRR! be a "disaster"?
it offers many songs from the aforementioned comps, has two new songs & a nice extra bonus CD containing stuff that was new to me.
Many fans seem to have a problem with the artwork, not me - I didn´t care, in fact I find it amusing, the artwork for Jump Back, Rewind, Forty Licks etc isn´t any better, imo.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 2, 2019 16:15

HONK reaches 10 weeks on the Billboard 200, this week at #174.
Hot Rocks is also on this week's chart at #163.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: July 2, 2019 16:35

So is their other compilation album Tattoo You consider a must-have? I kid, I kid.

As much as everyone rags on Honk, my two year old loves it. He instantly recognizes the album when he sees it and screams “Honk!” and wants me to play a song from it. So while today’s music buyers think this album is a waste, maybe tomorrow’s buyers will have a different feeling for it.

- Cam

Date: July 2, 2019 16:43

Tattoo You is indeed a must-have 1972-81 compilation. No kidding. It´s a nice addition to Sucking In The 70s, which is unique because of all the edited versions and live songs.

Rarites is also a must have. At least half of it was new to me or first time on CD when it was released.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 2, 2019 19:45

I believe some of the same edits from Sucking in the Seventies are used on Jump Back.

Date: July 3, 2019 06:32

boogaloojef
I believe some of the same edits from Sucking in the Seventies are used on Jump Back.

Those edits are essentially single and B-side edits that can be found on... 45 releases but Time Waits For No ONe was edited for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES as the LP version is on... TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

The mix of Miss You on JUMP BACK (and FORTY LICKS and THE SIMIAN DISASTER) is the UK single mix, not the LP mix that is on REWIND.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 3, 2019 07:00

GasLightStreet
.....Serious fans don't need that 2012 disaster...

Some "serious fans" are completists and as such need everything.

Date: July 3, 2019 07:23

Roscoe
GasLightStreet
.....Serious fans don't need that 2012 disaster...

Some "serious fans" are completists and as such need everything.

Sound quality has become a priority for me. I stopped being a completist once they left Virgin. I have zero control over the sound quality of whatever they've done since but I do not have to subject myself to paying for disaster after disaster with the back catalog, and that peaks with the 2012 disaster.

Date: July 3, 2019 08:13

HMS
Tattoo You is indeed a must-have 1972-81 compilation. No kidding. It´s a nice addition to Sucking In The 70s, which is unique because of all the edited versions and live songs.

Rarites is also a must have. At least half of it was new to me or first time on CD when it was released.

Miss You (long version) is sped up on Rarities.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2019 08:50

HONK is definitely a must not have.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 3, 2019 11:25

I find the live tracks on Honk utterly un-listenable. Darryl Jones never was my fave bassist, but on these tracks he is god awful. I think it is impossible to find another bass player with less sense of swing.

Mathijs

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 14:35

No mention of Honk at Chicago 1 or any other album for that matter. I don't recall any album or Honk being mentioned at Chicago 2 but will go back and listen. But Chicago 1 he definitely did not mention Honk.

Date: July 3, 2019 17:22

HMS
Why should GRRR! be a "disaster"?
it offers many songs from the aforementioned comps, has two new songs & a nice extra bonus CD containing stuff that was new to me.
Many fans seem to have a problem with the artwork, not me - I didn´t care, in fact I find it amusing, the artwork for Jump Back, Rewind, Forty Licks etc isn´t any better, imo.

The kind of opinion that is wrong, since it has some awful songs on it, expanded or not, and it's a bit of a drift chronologically - it's chronoillogic.

That damn monkey is ridiculous. The Beatles would've never allowed such a pathetic album cover to be released.

THE SIMIAN DISASTER is a great name for that thing.

At least HONK and JUMP BACK are consistent.

Date: July 3, 2019 17:32

HMS
Tattoo You is indeed a must-have 1972-81 album. No kidding. It´s a nice addition to Sucking In The 70s, which is unique because of all the edited versions and live songs.

TATTOO YOU is not any kind of addition to SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES; that would be

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE, a predecessor to SITS, which is quite similar to TWFNO

or

REWIND, their second hits compilation.

Rolling Stones Records released a total of 4 compilations:

MADE IN THE SHADE
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE
SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES
REWIND

Date: July 3, 2019 17:40

Mathijs
I find the live tracks on Honk utterly un-listenable. Darryl Jones never was my fave bassist, but on these tracks he is god awful. I think it is impossible to find another bass player with less sense of swing.

Mathijs

Wow. That's pretty bad. Have you liked any of their live releases since 1995? Dancing With Mr D is pretty good.

Date: July 3, 2019 17:42

TumblinDice76
No mention of Honk at Chicago 1 or any other album for that matter. I don't recall any album or Honk being mentioned at Chicago 2 but will go back and listen. But Chicago 1 he definitely did not mention Honk.

It's extremely likely that Mick has never said the name of a compilation album on a tour when one was released (MADE IN THE SHADE, FORTY LICKS, THE SIMIAN DISASTER and now HONK) that year.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:27

GasLightStreet
boogaloojef

Those edits are essentially single and B-side edits that can be found on... 45 releases but Time Waits For No ONe was edited for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES as the LP version is on... TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

The mix of Miss You on JUMP BACK (and FORTY LICKS and THE SIMIAN DISASTER) is the UK single mix, not the LP mix that is on REWIND.

Yes, I know. I pulled them out and compared them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 18:30 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2019 19:08

GasLightStreet
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wow. That's pretty bad. Have you liked any of their live releases since 1995? Dancing With Mr D is pretty good.

Mr. D. on HONK is okay, if you've never heard a bootleg of Mr. D. from Belgium 1973. I swear to god, Bill Wyman is ten times funkier than Darryl Jones. How does that happen?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home