Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:55

Is there a vinyl with the bonus live tracks?
In my record store I only saw the CD

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 15, 2019 13:30

Whale

Is there a vinyl with the bonus live tracks?

Yes, the 4LP Color-Vinyl: [Store.DigitalStores.co.uk] - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] - [www.Bravado.de] - [Store.Universal-Music.co.jp] - [www.eBay.com] - [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 15, 2019 13:45

CJFP

What is limited edition about HONK?

[TheRollingStonesShop.com] states for the 4LP Color-Vinyl: "Limited to 2,500 units in the US."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 15:20

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Spud
I wonder which song has been on the most compilations ?

That's a nice puzzler for somebody to play with grinning smiley
Don't quote me on it, but it looks like it's between Satisfaction and Brown Sugar, with JJF close.

Satisfaction is on BIG HITS, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, MILESTONES, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 9

Jumpin' Jack Flash is on BIG HITS 2, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 8

Brown Sugar is on HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, REWIND, THE LONDON YEARS, JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS, ROLLED GOLD (2007), GRRR, HONK: 9
Wow, good guess on my part. I only eyeballed the compilations but didn't add them up or anything.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2019 15:27

Meise
georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

unsurprising really. you're only selling to the absolute diehards (everyone older than 40 that wants this material already has it), and a very few new fans.

I indulged once again...it's getting ridiculous though.

The reality is that only people over 40-45 is the one buying physical product, you will never sell an album to anyone under 40 nowadays, 70% of the market is streaming and this compilation is only a shuffle playlist released to the streaming market with various physical variations for the aging diehards ready to buy anything over and over again.

That's only partly true, georgelicks. My 10-year-old son has become a Beatles fan, i.e. we buy the albums for him ...

and I'll add to that observation and say that the vinyl album has in fact made a comeback, and I definitely see under 20s buying physical releases in stores that now have vinyl racks. That said, it's a minor part of the market, and I'm pretty sure their isn't a big push in that age bracket for physical Stones releases.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:10

treaclefingers
Meise
georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

unsurprising really. you're only selling to the absolute diehards (everyone older than 40 that wants this material already has it), and a very few new fans.

The reality is that only people over 40-45 is the one buying physical product, you will never sell an album to anyone under 40 nowadays, 70% of the market is streaming and this compilation is only a shuffle playlist released to the streaming market with various physical variations for the aging diehards ready to buy anything over and over again.

That's only partly true, georgelicks. My 10-year-old son has become a Beatles fan, i.e. we buy the albums for him ...

and I'll add to that observation and say that the vinyl album has in fact made a comeback, and I definitely see under 20s buying physical releases in stores that now have vinyl racks. That said, it's a minor part of the market, and I'm pretty sure their isn't a big push in that age bracket for physical Stones releases.

It will be interesting to see what happens to CD format. Vinyl managed to survive somehow, but will CD have such a similar nostalgic boom in future. Do the people of CD era have such a passion for that format of their youth as the people of vinyl era. And will the hipsters of tomorrow discover that lost format...

- Doxa

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:31

Doxa
treaclefingers
Meise
georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

It will be interesting to see what happens to CD format. Vinyl managed to survive somehow, but will CD have such a similar nostalgic boom in future. Do the people of CD era have such a passion for that format of their youth as the people of vinyl era. And will the hipsters of tomorrow discover that lost format...

- Doxa
CD nostalgia is already here. But not mainstream yet. Did you check recent prices on ebay for this one? winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:37

treaclefingers
Meise
georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

Especially when buying a single vinyl album can be as much as $45... that's ridiculous.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:39

Cassette tape nostalgia is here too.

We're only nostalgic for the time when we were young. There is NOTHING about cassette tapes to be nostalgic about.

Manually rewinding and fast forwarding polyester tape with magnetic dust on it is NOT my idea of fun.

Date: May 15, 2019 16:39

Doxa
treaclefingers
Meise
georgelicks
treaclefingers
mtaylor
3 weeks on billboar 200

1 - 23
2 - 111
3 - 136

impressive

- Doxa

The CD format will live on based on people I know in the recording industry - because having a hard copy of everything is an absolute necessity.

Date: May 15, 2019 16:42

keefriff99
Cassette tape nostalgia is here too.

We're only nostalgic for the time when we were young. There is NOTHING about cassette tapes to be nostalgic about.

Manually rewinding and fast forwarding polyester tape with magnetic dust on it is NOT my idea of fun.

I was attempting to upload some songs on cassette to CD (things that, unfortunately, I never got a digital copy of thanks to someone's lack of judgement I was working with at the time) - I went through FOUR tape decks, the last one basically ruined the tape. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get it to work nor if I'll be able to find a tape deck that is reliable.

Date: May 15, 2019 16:45

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Spud

Don't quote me on it, but it looks like it's between Satisfaction and Brown Sugar, with JJF close.

Satisfaction is on BIG HITS, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, MILESTONES, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 9

Jumpin' Jack Flash is on BIG HITS 2, GIMME SHELTER, HOT ROCKS, ROLLED GOLD, SOLID ROCK, THE LONDON YEARS, FORTY LICKS, GRRR: 8

Brown Sugar is on HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, REWIND, THE LONDON YEARS, JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS, ROLLED GOLD (2007), GRRR, HONK: 9
Wow, good guess on my part. I only eyeballed the compilations but didn't add them up or anything.

You were absolutely accurate! No other songs are featured that much. For obvious reasons.

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 17, 2019 04:58

Just bought the 4LP set. Just looks so nice & I was at 2 of the shows w live performances.

Plus...w the rescheduled dates I’m in the Stones ether!

Man, this set is going for crazy $ while it’s still available on the official website. Strange.

Date: May 17, 2019 07:31

With the rescheduled 2019 tour, perhaps HONK will float near the bottom of the Top 200 sales wise but stream quite highly - or tracks that are on it - for the duration.

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 17, 2019 18:41

You’re probably right!

Date: May 17, 2019 19:16

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Spud

You were absolutely accurate! No other songs are featured that much. For obvious reasons.
BTW,
Wild Horses are on 9 compilations too winking smiley
HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, REWIND, THE LONDON YEARS, JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS, ROLLED GOLD (2007), GRRR, HONK

Date: May 20, 2019 18:23

I look at the inside gatefolds and the photos - not one shot of Bill Wyman. Of the studio cuts I count 21 songs!that he played on.

Date: May 20, 2019 18:23

ironbelly
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Spud

BTW,
Wild Horses are on 9 compilations too winking smiley
HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, REWIND, THE LONDON YEARS, JUMP BACK, FORTY LICKS, ROLLED GOLD (2007), GRRR, HONK

HAHA! Overlooked that one. So Brown Sugar and Wild Horses get the most, aside from Satisfaction, because of their dual existence as ABKCO Music songs being released on the Stones' own label.

Date: May 20, 2019 18:28

Palace Revolution 2000
I look at the inside gatefolds and the photos - not one shot of Bill Wyman. Of the studio cuts I count 21 songs!that he played on.
You need CD for Bill winking smiley

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: May 20, 2019 20:29

the impression of the European triple cd cover is the same as that of the US

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: May 21, 2019 01:29

GasLightStreet
iraq0708
HMS
For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.
One Hit To The Body would have been good. But since I'm not buying this money-grab it makes no difference to me. As for the live cuts....well,..the bootlegs are a-plenty..

They probably wanted good songs, hence Harlem Shuffle. One Hit is garbage and you know it.
Was revisiting this thread and noticed this response. Please don't presume to tell me what I know or don't know. It is your opinion only. Ad Nauseum if I may add. You should refrain from insulting people who have differing views of the Stones catalog..Everyone isn't a musical savant like you apparently are. Thank You.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 21, 2019 03:29

There's probably 10 or more songs that I would gladly miss in exchange for One Hit (To The Body) on Honk. Maybe for yet another Dirty Work song even.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 21, 2019 03:33

I wonder how this has sold in South America. Haven’t seen any charts for Argentina,Brazil etc.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 21, 2019 03:44

Bashlets
I wonder how this has sold in South America. Haven’t seen any charts for Argentina,Brazil etc.

There's no charts anymore in South America, sales are non existent, it's all about streaming, no album reached 5,000 copies sold in Argentina during 2018.

Date: May 21, 2019 03:51

iraq0708
GasLightStreet
iraq0708
HMS
For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.
One Hit To The Body would have been good. But since I'm not buying this money-grab it makes no difference to me. As for the live cuts....well,..the bootlegs are a-plenty..

They probably wanted good songs, hence Harlem Shuffle. One Hit is garbage and you know it.
Was revisiting this thread and noticed this response. Please don't presume to tell me what I know or don't know. It is your opinion only. Ad Nauseum if I may add. You should refrain from insulting people who have differing views of the Stones catalog..Everyone isn't a musical savant like you apparently are. Thank You.

Great wink.

Date: May 21, 2019 03:52

Actually, it would've been good if they'd put One Hit on instead of Harlem Shuffle as usual. It would let some people know they had a little bit of life to them in 1986.

Date: May 21, 2019 13:57

ironbelly
Palace Revolution 2000
You need CD for Bill winking smiley

Thanks Ironbelly.
That's another thing: the Stones to me are always a five man band.

Date: May 21, 2019 14:59

After 4 weeks the compilation remains on the Billboard 200 chart, this week at #172 with 5,500 units: 1,500 from sales and 4,000 from streaming points (about 6 million streams).

Hot Rocks ranks at #199 on the latest Billboard 200 too, so the whole period 1964-2018 is charting in the US, over 60 different songs.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 26, 2019 01:19

A quick review of the regular 3-LP set (European pressing).

- Packaging : overall, good quality (thickness, printing). I like the cover art and band members photos have a nice selection. However having no booklet of any sort makes it feel quite cheap and minimalistic... It's worth mentioning it comes with a download card.

- the vinyl are quiet (no pops) and play perfectly. Obviously a good quality pressing. LP sides are rather long (between 21-25 minutes) but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the sound quality.

- the sound... Well, no surprise here, it's loud & flat. But I guess it's inevitable with a selection of tracks from a period of over 45 years. If you're in the mood for this kind of "in your face" mastering, it works quite well for the tracks from the 80's and onwards. Not so great on the tracks from the 70's (!).

- tracks selection : it's really a fun listening experience. I prefer it to the Grrr chronological order. On the vinyl, each side works great on its own. Contrary to the CD which has the albums versions, the 3-LP set has a number of edited tracks, including Fool to Cry, Beast of Burden, Hot Stuff, IORR, Rock and a Hard Place, Mixed Emotions, Don't Stop, Rain Fall Down, Emotional Rescue, Saint of Me, Out of Control, Streets of Love and Out of Tears. As usual with the edits some works (4 minutes of Streets of Love is largely enough) others don't (I want my five minutes of Hot Stuff!). Interestingly the download (which comes in 16-bit wav tracks) replicates the vinyl edits.

Overall it's a nice looking set but the lack of a booklet and the mastering choices can leave you a bit disappointed. That said I spent the past week listening to the 3 LP's and kept on coming back to them because of the songs selection that makes this compilation fun and quite irresistible. Also having a couple of later days tracks on vinyl is a nice bonus.

Date: June 30, 2019 05:43

I'm back from 3 weeks in Miami and NY, on the last day I've got the Honk 2LP version from Urban Outfitters in Herald Square at just $11.75.

It's $19.99, but you get a heavy discount at the store too: 10% and $5 for first purchase.

If someone is in NY you can grab it, not many copies available.

[www.urbanoutfitters.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home