Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 2, 2019 23:54

GivenToFly15
treaclefingers
Maindefender
sure, but what are the actual numbers sold? not to compare but what did(will) Taylor Swifts single do?

you say 'not to compare' but isn't that exactly what you're doing?

It's like someone saying "don't take this the wrong way" before they verbally abuse you (and please don't verbally abuse me for saying so!).

It’s called a preterition.

don't take this the wrong way but you're being pretentious.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 3, 2019 03:30

36 songs in total taken from a time period where they had 250 to choose from.

so about 1/7th in total of the overall output.

which leaves plenty of scope to do another compilation featuring possibly a completely different list of songs, maybe 50 from the possible remaining 214 available.

Date: May 3, 2019 04:07

buttons67
36 songs in total taken from a time period where they had 250 to choose from.

so about 1/7th in total of the overall output.

which leaves plenty of scope to do another compilation featuring possibly a completely different list of songs, maybe 50 from the possible remaining 214 available.

Isn't that called GRRR!?

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 3, 2019 04:54

I like HONK. Disc 1 is really good. Disc 2 is okay. Disc 3 (live) is fantastic!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 3, 2019 05:09

The cuts included are too predictable in my opinion. Pretty much the same ones on Rewind (except Hang Fire and She's So Cold) Jump Back, Forty Licks (except Shattered), GRRR!(except She Was Hot, Highwire & Anybody Seen My Baby) etc. Why not include a few tracks that aren't included as often like Time Waits For No One, All Down The Line, Hang Fire, Hand of Fate, Memory Motel, When The Whip Comes Down, Star Star, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Can't You Hear Me Knocking etc.?

Dancing With Mr D. is probably the most unpredictable cut included.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 05:45 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 3, 2019 05:42

HMS
For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.

That's why you should go buy GRRR! again.

Date: May 3, 2019 05:44

iraq0708
HMS
For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.
One Hit To The Body would have been good. But since I'm not buying this money-grab it makes no difference to me. As for the live cuts....well,..the bootlegs are a-plenty..

They probably wanted good songs, hence Harlem Shuffle. One Hit is garbage and you know it.

Date: May 3, 2019 05:45

CJFP
The less Dirty Work the better...

If they want people to ever buy a comp, the less DW tracks the better.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 3, 2019 05:47

GasLightStreet
HMS

And for those of us who never bought GRRR! HONK!
(Is it me, or the album titles have turned to grunts?)

Date: May 3, 2019 05:49

GivenToFly15
I don't know if it has been posted before, but for those interested, here's a pic of the Canada stuff - from Discogs.

I still don't know what this Undercover (Of The Night) song is.

Anyone have a clue?

Date: May 3, 2019 06:08

Comparisons of Honk Super Deluxe track listing to other Stones compilations from 1971 forward.

Tracks not included on Honk.

Made In The Shade - (Dance Little Sister, Rip This Joint)

Time Waits For No One Anthology - (Time Waits For No One, All Down The Line, Star Star, If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud (live), Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama)

Sucking In The Seventies (excluding the rarities) - (Shattered, Mannish Boy (live), Time Waits For No One, Crazy Mama)

Rewind U.S + U.K. - (She's So Cold, Hang Fire)

Jump Back - (all tracks are included)

Forty Licks - (excluding the new tracks) - (Shattered)

GRRR! - (2 cd) - (Anybody Seen My Baby)
- (3 cd) - (She Was Hot, Highwire, Anybody Seen My Baby)
- (Super Deluxe) - (Dance Little Sister, Shattered, Far Away Eyes, Dance Pt.1, She's So Cold, Neighbours, She Was Hot, Almost Hear You Sigh, Highwire, I Go Wild, Like A Rolling Stone (live), Anybody Seen My Baby, Plundered My Soul)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 06:10 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: May 3, 2019 08:15

treaclefingers
GivenToFly15
treaclefingers
Maindefender
sure, but what are the actual numbers sold? not to compare but what did(will) Taylor Swifts single do?

you say 'not to compare' but isn't that exactly what you're doing?

It's like someone saying "don't take this the wrong way" before they verbally abuse you (and please don't verbally abuse me for saying so!).

It’s called a preterition.

don't take this the wrong way but you're being pretentious.

Okay, thanks.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 3, 2019 12:01

GivenToFly15
I don't know if it has been posted before, but for those interested, here's a pic of the Canada stuff - from Discogs.

The question is - what radio edit of Rain Fall Down is used? Is it regular or radio clean (censored)?

Edit
As it was noticed by our own urbansteel some tracks on this CD has different timings/edits comparing to regular 2CD/3CD edition form Europe. It seems that they utilized mixes from GRRR! for the following tracks
Miss You (3:35) aka single edit from Jump Back
Fool To Cry (4:07) aka short version from Sucking in the 70s
Beast of Burden (3:30) aka short version from Sucking in the 70s
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) (4:11) edit from 40 Licks
Mixed Emotions (4:00) aka 7” version, CD Single, Jump Back
Don't Stop (3:30) edit from CD Single
Rain Fall Down (4:02) radio edit, CD single, not censored
Undercover of the Night (4:14) edit from 40 Licks
Emotional Rescue (3:43) edit from 40 Licks
Saint of Me (4:09) radio edit, CD single
All tracks could also be found on GRRR!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-03 17:46 by ironbelly.

Date: May 3, 2019 16:59

35love
GasLightStreet
HMS

And for those of us who never bought GRRR! HONK!
(Is it me, or the album titles have turned to grunts?)

The working title for the upcoming 60th Anniversary compilation (late 2022) is rumoured to be, HARUMPHHH!

Date: May 3, 2019 17:18

GasLightStreet
GivenToFly15

I still don't know what this Undercover (Of The Night) song is.

Anyone have a clue?

looks like since the name of the album is undercover they are doing this now to keep it the same as the album

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 3, 2019 17:55

HONK is after 2 weeks now #14 in Germany - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 3, 2019 19:01

Irix

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 5, 2019 10:03

After a week of listening I reckon it's the best Stones compilation for post '70 material so far. A good balance between well-known classic titles from the 70's and the 80's and not so well-known classics from '89 onwards. Plus a couple of less known gems and a nice selection of the most recent output. The live CD is cool to have but not essential to me. The 2-CD set is good as it is. Hit the "shuffle" button and it's plain fun.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 5, 2019 16:41

I agree. The cd actually flows pretty good. Much better than he track order on the digital download. I could see this album selling like Hot Rocks after all is said and done.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 5, 2019 20:23

Finally I made it through all 3 CDs.
My general impression is that most songs soound better on the original albums or in the mixes form 1994
Soundwise the live songs are somehow disappointing to me – I know bootlegs of the very same shows that sound much better (less muffled etc), even bootlegs that were made with very cheap equipement

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 6, 2019 17:05

Maindefender
Irix

Taylor Swifts' Single 'Me!' is #12 in Germany: [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Date: May 6, 2019 19:00

ironbelly
GivenToFly15

The question is - what radio edit of Rain Fall Down is used? Is it regular or radio clean (censored)?

Edit
As it was noticed by our own urbansteel some tracks on this CD has different timings/edits comparing to regular 2CD/3CD edition form Europe. It seems that they utilized mixes from GRRR! for the following tracks
Miss You (3:35) aka single edit from Jump Back
Fool To Cry (4:07) aka short version from Sucking in the 70s
Beast of Burden (3:30) aka short version from Sucking in the 70s
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) (4:11) edit from 40 Licks
Mixed Emotions (4:00) aka 7” version, CD Single, Jump Back
Don't Stop (3:30) edit from CD Single
Rain Fall Down (4:02) radio edit, CD single, not censored
Undercover of the Night (4:14) edit from 40 Licks
Emotional Rescue (3:43) edit from 40 Licks
Saint of Me (4:09) radio edit, CD single
All tracks could also be found on GRRR!!!

WOW! So it is full of the single edits! Were UOTN and IORR ever properly edited as a single or was that just for FORTY LICKS? I've never looked into it. I know the rest of those edits are the single edits.

Date: May 6, 2019 19:02

This comp is taking a beating on FaceBook. It's kind of funny.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:08

GasLightStreet
I do not think those edits of It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Undercover of the Night and Emotional Rescue should be considered as single edits. Those were made for 40 Licks to fit tracks to CD. I remember in 2002 there was 'moan' about the fact they ruined those tracks with edits.

Mixed Emotions (4:00) aka 7” version, Don't Stop (3:30) edit, Rain Fall Down (4:02) radio edit and Saint of Me (4:09) radio edit, on contrary, are original edits that were issued on CD singles at the time.

Date: May 6, 2019 19:16

ironbelly
GasLightStreet
I do not think those edits of It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Undercover of the Night and Emotional Rescue should be considered as single edits. Those were made for 40 Licks to fit tracks to CD. I remember in 2002 there was 'moan' about the fact they ruined those tracks with edits.

Mixed Emotions (4:00) aka 7” version, Don't Stop (3:30) edit, Rain Fall Down (4:02) radio edit and Saint of Me (4:09) radio edit, on contrary, are original edits that were issued on CD singles at the time.

The ER edit is the single version - it was used for the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-06 19:17 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 6, 2019 19:19

That's another strength of the 3-CD edition : (at last) they used the songs full length versions. Add She's So Cold at the end of CD 2, and you get the best overview of the Stones last 45 years or so...

Date: May 6, 2019 19:21

You would also need to add Hang Fire, Shattered and Time Waits For No One among others.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 6, 2019 23:05

Finally got my copy in the mail today.

Only complaint i have is that the studio tracks of Beast Of Burden, Dancing With Mr.D, Wild Horses and Bitch should have been replaced with other tracks to avoid having the same songs twice on the same album.

My picks for replace them would be :

Shattered
She's So Cold
Too Much Blood
Anybody Seen My Baby?

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: May 7, 2019 00:22

rebelhipi
Finally got my copy in the mail today.

Only complaint i have is that the studio tracks of Beast Of Burden, Dancing With Mr.D, Wild Horses and Bitch should have been replaced with other tracks to avoid having the same songs twice on the same album.

My picks for replace them would be :

Shattered
She's So Cold
Too Much Blood
Anybody Seen My Baby?
They gotta have the warhorses

Date: May 7, 2019 04:16

boogaloojef
You would also need to add Hang Fire, Shattered and Time Waits For No One among others.

You would need a third CD of studio tracks then. She's So Cold just fits at the end of CD2.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home