Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2019 06:02

Since the 2004 release is the 1993 release, no.

YEAH …. I always thought the Mick & Keith
track by track liner notes were not included
in the first release of Jump Back …. but whatever you's da man

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 3, 2019 14:40

GasLightStreet
ironbelly
Toru A
2005&2009 remastered albums will be released on May 22.
[www.musiclifeclub.com]
A bit messed up. The other press release claim 2009 remaster for all but Sucking in the 70's, not for Rewind.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]
In any case, these are for die-hard only, IMHO.
Apart of 2005 remaster nothing can beat old editions
1975 - Made In The Shade [CDCBS 450201 2] / [32DP604]
1980 - Sucking In The 70s [CDCBS 450205 2] / [32DP610]
and 1984 - Rewind [CP35-5021]
in terms of sound quality.
The other two is just copy-paste job from 2009 sources and special booklets. So, you know winking smiley.

The Virgin reissues of SUCKING and SHADE sound fantastic, better than the (original) CBS issues.
Let's agree to disagree winking smiley
That 2005 Virgin remasters sound a bit harsh to me. Maybe they start with the tracks from 1994 Virgin remaster but tweaked them. Almost everything is clipped to 0.00 dB with DR9 for MITS and DR10 for SITS. Contrary, old CBS CDs are not clipped, sound warm and naturally with DR13 for MIST and DR13 for SITS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-03 14:45 by ironbelly.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 4, 2019 05:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-04 05:32 by LeonidP.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 4, 2019 07:11

ironbelly
GasLightStreet
ironbelly
Toru A
2005&2009 remastered albums will be released on May 22.
[www.musiclifeclub.com]
A bit messed up. The other press release claim 2009 remaster for all but Sucking in the 70's, not for Rewind.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]
In any case, these are for die-hard only, IMHO.
Apart of 2005 remaster nothing can beat old editions
1975 - Made In The Shade [CDCBS 450201 2] / [32DP604]
1980 - Sucking In The 70s [CDCBS 450205 2] / [32DP610]
and 1984 - Rewind [CP35-5021]
in terms of sound quality.
The other two is just copy-paste job from 2009 sources and special booklets. So, you know winking smiley.

The Virgin reissues of SUCKING and SHADE sound fantastic, better than the (original) CBS issues.
Let's agree to disagree winking smiley
That 2005 Virgin remasters sound a bit harsh to me. Maybe they start with the tracks from 1994 Virgin remaster but tweaked them. Almost everything is clipped to 0.00 dB with DR9 for MITS and DR10 for SITS. Contrary, old CBS CDs are not clipped, sound warm and naturally with DR13 for MIST and DR13 for SITS.

I will not argue with that. However, to my ears, the Virgin ones sound better.

Maybe we have different ideas of what "harsh" sounds like.

The greatest example I can give you, and this may have no relevance to the CBS vs Virgin SITS or MITS comps, but UMe's reissue of SOME GIRLS compared to Virgin's reissue of SOME GIRLS: headphones, CD player/stereo and computer speakers, holy shit what a difference: the UMe reissue was unlistenable.

The CBS editions of the albums Virgin reissued sound a bit weak in comparison. Which means, they still sound good, just not as good as the Virgins, which, as I recall, Ludwig, Mick and, in that case, Virgin, did a lot of work to sound like the original releases, to which Mick was finally pleased with after a few remasterings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-04 17:44 by GasLightStreet.

Date: April 4, 2019 17:45

As usual with something that happens, I'm curious to see if HONK sells well when it comes out considering the news about Mick.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 4, 2019 20:45

GasLightStreet

As usual with something that happens, I'm curious to see if HONK sells well when it comes out considering the news about Mick.

Michael Jackson's Album-sales went sky-high on 25-Jun-2009 ....

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 8, 2019 01:18

schwonek
A great release. I mean it. I am just happy to be fan of them as long as they are alive. And to get my hands on new vinyl with new live releases - I am excited. Plus personally - I like the cover art. Looks prettier than Grrr or Jumpbackk to me at least.

I'm buying it. I'm glad to get the live tracks in great sound. If this live part was a bootleg, people would be raving and saying, "It should be OFFIICALLY RELEASED!"

Yeah, I 'm looking forward to getting RAINBOW and MR D live.

I think WILD HORSES is a great version, unfortunately I don't care for Florence's voice, even though it's a great performances/ I'm hoping for another WILD HORSES from the tour.

Do we know for sure about the mix and the masters? I'm still on page 4 of this thread.

I'm guessing the live part of HONK is limited release (or did I read that info)? So, it will become a rare collectors' item? Valuable?

Glad to be getting HONKED!

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.

Date: April 8, 2019 06:09

Well, this is cute:

While the dominance of decades-old material on all three discs suggests that the Stones’ songwriting heyday may have passed, these concert tracks demonstrate rather definitively that, more than half a century after they first gained prominence, these now-septuagenarian performers are as potent on stage as they’ve ever been.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Date: April 8, 2019 06:42

I haven't seen what all of Emotional Rescue live is available online but just for the sake of disc 3 of HONK, perhaps they should've included it.

Something actually new for them live.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 8, 2019 09:45

Maybe a stupid question :

The bonus disc live is available on vinyle?
Which edition?

Thanks in advance

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: April 8, 2019 10:05

Yes, it is. 4 LP-Set. You can buy it from Bravado (Universal)

Date: April 8, 2019 11:04

who will actually purchase this? Is there anyone pre-millenial who still has not bought a major Stones package? Who is walking around saying "I really need to get me that "Brown Sugar" song".
And , I work with many young cats. 18, 19 - 28 year olds. Forget Hip Hop; but all the rockers are very much NOT into the Stones. IMO they all have great taste, just not Stones related. But I am talking about US; so I could be miles off from say, So America, or East Europe.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 8, 2019 11:45

Palace Revolution 2000

who will actually purchase this?

Maybe those who still buy 'Hot Rocks' - which has good sales-numbers: [iorr.org] . And HONK (71-16) is a good addition to 'Hot Rocks' (64-71) ....

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 8, 2019 12:19

Irix
GasLightStreet

Yes, but I imagine his sales in 2019 will be pretty modest, after the latest revelations.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:11

jlowe
Irix
GasLightStreet

Yes, but I imagine his sales in 2019 will be pretty modest, after the latest revelations.

But still, as odd that it might sound, his record-selling jumped 10% after the latest revelations...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:43

GasLightStreet
Well, this is cute:

While the dominance of decades-old material on all three discs suggests that the Stones’ songwriting heyday may have passed, these concert tracks demonstrate rather definitively that, more than half a century after they first gained prominence, these now-septuagenarian performers are as potent on stage as they’ve ever been.

[bestclassicbands.com]

A nice review, but this part:

The ABKCO label controls the group’s work from the 1960s, which is why you’ll have to turn to the original LPs for that indispensable material or, if your budget is tight, to the excellent Singles Collection: The London Years.

makes me wonder has the reviewer ever heard a collection called HOT ROCKS?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:52

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Well, this is cute:

[bestclassicbands.com]

The ABKCO label controls the group’s work from the 1960s, which is why you’ll have to turn to the original LPs for that indispensable material or, if your budget is tight, to the excellent Singles Collection: The London Years.

makes me wonder has the reviewer ever heard a collection called HOT ROCKS?grinning smiley

- Doxa

True ..is the publication UK based?
As Hot Rocks was initially a US release plus other territories, presumably there was a rationale for this.
The UK release came in the mid 80s, some 15 years later.
The Singles Collection is first rate.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:32

exilestones
schwonek
A great release. I mean it. I am just happy to be fan of them as long as they are alive. And to get my hands on new vinyl with new live releases - I am excited. Plus personally - I like the cover art. Looks prettier than Grrr or Jumpbackk to me at least.

I'm buying it. I'm glad to get the live tracks in great sound. If this live part was a bootleg, people would be raving and saying, "It should be OFFIICALLY RELEASED!"

Yeah, I 'm looking forward to getting RAINBOW and MR D live.

I think WILD HORSES is a great version, unfortunately I don't care for Florence's voice, even though it's a great performances/ I'm hoping for another WILD HORSES from the tour.

Do we know for sure about the mix and the masters? I'm still on page 4 of this thread.

I'm guessing the live part of HONK is limited release (or did I read that info)? So, it will become a rare collectors' item? Valuable?

Glad to be getting HONKED!

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.
Hmmmmm...I'm a bootleg collector and I've got most of the shows from 2017-8 and I certainly wouldn't be yelling for a OFFICIAL RELEASE for any of them. I enjoy listening to them but the amount of mistakes made would require MASSIVE editing/overdubbing/re-recording etc. Probably like the live disc of HONK has undergone. I won't buy it but I can see why people would---the live disc. Enjoy!!smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 9, 2019 00:43

Do you still buy stuff? I stopped years ago. The only exception I would make is a new studio album with brand new material.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 9, 2019 01:37

Stoneage
Do you still buy stuff? I stopped years ago. The only exception I would make is a new studio album with brand new material.
yep---if you have some old vinyl boots lying around taking up space...drop me a line. As for the new LP....I guess you will have plenty of money saved up by the time it's released LOL!! smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 12, 2019 11:02

"Honk"...a commercial flop? eye rolling smiley

Date: April 13, 2019 08:15

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Well, this is cute:

[bestclassicbands.com]

- Doxa

Or STICKY FINGERS and a few from EXILE for that matter.

Date: April 13, 2019 08:15

KRiffhard
"Honk"...a commercial flop? eye rolling smiley

A bit... early?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 13, 2019 08:17

This entire thread seems like a speculation circus.

Date: April 13, 2019 08:20

I'm going to purchase the stream -seems good company while living the "cube life"

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 13, 2019 13:12

Date: April 13, 2019 16:34

To me this is all nonsense. The Stones need a Sirius XM station where they play all past concert music recorded - in the same manner as E Street Radio.

It would work nicely and I would love to hear the bootleg live albums that are often talked about by other Forum members. In the case of satellite radio it would be great and expansive. I wouldn't care if it were a bad concert or not.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: April 13, 2019 18:23

Rolling Stones -She's a Rainbow (RSD2019 Release)

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-13 18:25 by mrfancyman.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 13, 2019 18:50

In wav .....

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 14, 2019 00:43

MrEcho
35love
“Just for the record, on the latest Billboard 200 chart, 28 albums are Greatest Hits collections” (quote)

What does this say? Humans imprinted these songs in their brains, into their DNA/ computer chip / computer corporate cultural takeover
and humankind can no longer take in new music, new art
Advert, Sports, Replay bombarded the same stuff over over over and now we’re stuck?

Too deep? Okay rah rah greatest hits.
(still in a bad mood)

There is so much great new music out there, but you won't find it in mainstream media or the Billboard charts. It's happening in underground clubs and it is being written about in independent media. When Rock & Roll started the situation was basically the same – it was a regional phenomenon, ignored by the mainstream media and Sam Phillips was selling records out of the trunk of his car.

Yep. Kinda cool. Lots of good musicians out there who are putting out creative stuff in different formats.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home