Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2019 16:26

georgelicks
Also, how many copies of some of their songs are splited among various albums?

Let's take one, "Brown Sugar":

13.5m Hot Rocks
9.4m Sticky Fingers
7.7m Forty Licks
6.9m Jump Back
4.0m Flashpoint
2.5m Rewind
2.5m Love You Live
2.4m Get Stoned/Greatest Hits
2.2m GRRR
2.2m Singles Collection
1.9m Made In The Shade
1.5m Rolled Gold
0.8m Live Licks
0.7m Shine a Light

+ 4.5m from the physical/digital single

+ 6-7m from other albums (Sweet Summer Sun + vault live albums as Hampton 81, Texas 81, SF Live, etc + local compilations) and live videos (At The Max, B2B live, Four Flicks, Biggest Bang, etc.)

Total: 69m+ copies sold

Almost 70 million copies of Brown Sugar floating around over there.

Brown Sugar was also released as a single TWICE.

Date: March 26, 2019 16:29

Testify
Doxa
Testify
Some girls knew it was the best-selling album (leaving out compilations), but I'm glad to see VL right behind LIB, I always thought it's a great album.

SOME GIRLS is their best selling studio album because Americans decided during the summer of 1978 that it was the best thing one can get. That explains its huge sales (6.8 m units sold only in the US market). It was a great seller all over the world, but, for example, in Europe it has sold about the same as VOODOO LOUNGE did, both EXILE and STICKY FINGERS selling more. In UK, BLUE & LONESOME has sold almost as many copies as SOME GIRLS!

Anyway, my biggest concern has always been relatively small sales of BEGGARS BANQUET. It is one of their most hailed albums ever but that doesn't quite translate in sales.

- Doxa
Sorry but ... what did the Americans do to you? Do you mean to say that Americans are less important? I am European, but your speech does not seem acceptable to me or at least I don't understand it.

How you interpreted that as being something that Americans "did" to Doxa is astounding.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 26, 2019 16:35

Doxa
Spud
Oh, I know , you're 100% right .

But we still feel better for having a moan don't we .

Hahaha... totally justified! There are ways of doing the self-therapy... mine is trying to see some sort of reason behind all of this....grinning smiley

- Doxa

I don't really have any justification for moaning about this at all if I'm honest .

This idiot moaning about being ambushed by another slightly different Greatest Hits package is the same person who owns 7 different vinyl versions of Exile.. . 8 if you include the one in the 1971-2016 Abbey Road remastered set he's just surrendered to grinning smiley

Date: March 26, 2019 16:35

Doxa
Spud
Testify
My nephew of 17 years has recently become passionate about the Rolling Stones, this Honk will be his first album and he already asks me if they will still play in Europe! Whether you like it or not, the Rolling Stones have this magnet for the new generation, it's the strength of rock'n roll and it doesn't matter if it's another collection for someone this is its first collection! Respect !

Right...so that raises an interesting thought.

Instead of assuming that yet another "Greatest Hitss" collection is just a repeated cynical money spinning exercise to extract more money from the same customer base ...

...We accept a marketing wisdom that you need a "new" product to win a new and younger audience ?

The premise is to make money - but that's not any news, no record companies like UMG or entertainers like the Stones are any charity organisations - but I think both of those suggestions hold true.

One needs to have "new" products in form of greatest hits collections to gather the potential money from casual costomers. The record companies are so smart that they know that not anyone is a hardcore fan who owns all of their catalogue so far in order to buy any new Rolling Stones albums. Even the hardcore fans were not born to be such, but needed to start from somewhere. A greatest hits collection is many times a good option for that. Then there are people occasionally going to their concerts, and easily want to have something to go with it, especially being stunned by the concert (The Stones, by the way, have promoted their greatest hits collections for ages now by touring them). Then there are people having a nostalgic feel, and want suddenly to update their youthful memories if a suitable easily reachable compilation is available ('"give me money back, this bloody Honk doesn't contain "Satisfaction" or any of those songs I remember, 'best of' my ass...). Then there are people who just out of curiosity and the feel of the moment under right cirmustances go: "Rolling Stones? Heard much about them. Why not..." Will any of these people buy anything else ever, doesn't really matter. One more sold copy anyway.

But the cruel fact the potential casual costumer-base as described above is getting smaller and smaller. The people interested in rock music are aging, and quite many of them already own some sort of Stones greatest hits collection. The kids just stream what they want, and one cannot do miracles with just one Eddie Sheeran track.. And they probably have told to their pas and grandpas already, 'please no new Rolling Stones hit compilation for this Xmas again'.

Here comes the cynicism. The record company knows that any big catalogue artist has a loyal hardcore fanbase who already own their whole catalogue. This is a resource one can, thankfully, always count on. As the years go by, more important they and their money is (thankfully, being rather aged, they are also rather wealthy and used to buy stuff). For them two different tactics are applied. First of all, there is an army of loyalists who buy anything anyway. For them go and release the product in as many as possible, variant forms and packages and they will buy them all. Then, secondly, there is not so-loyal, but a bit bigger bunch who need something extra to stimulate them to buy the product. Give them something non-released before (something like a couple of new tracks or a live album), and the deal is done.

Oh-la-la. Nothing else left to do than laugh all the way to bank.

- Doxa

Technically speaking, they've only toured one hits comp, which was FORTY LICKS, and even then I don't ever recall hearing or reading a quote by Mick from a concert saying 'This is a song from (enter hits comp here)' and they play Start Me Up or whatever.

Has he ever said an album title before a new song? Before Sad Sad Sad he'd say, sometimes, 'We've got a new one for ya, Sad Sad Saaaaad'.

The videos he did for promoting albums were always horrendous, at least the two that I've seen (TATTOO YOU and DIRTY WORK).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 26, 2019 16:41

By releasing a Hits package prior to the tour...

Mick can announce every number with

" ...Here's one from our new album "

Date: March 26, 2019 16:48

I don't know if you recall this, Doxa, but JUMP BACK was released (and entered the Billboard Top 200 for a little while) in 2004, 9 months after the FORTY LICKS tour was over. I was surprised to see it selling in the US when FORTY LICKS was still the newest release.

Although, I guess people were seeing it for the first time in places that weren't Tower Records but maybe Target or Walmart, since Virgin officially released it in the US, which I never understood, so perhaps it was new to them.

I got the 1993 album. Does anyone have the 2004 edition of JUMP BACK? I'm curious if it says 2004 on it, because as far as I know they just put a blue wrapper on it with the tongue.

EDIT: After a look at discogs.com for JUMP BACK... the 2004 edition is the 1993 edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 16:55 by GasLightStreet.

Date: March 26, 2019 16:53

This release is hilarious. What the hell!

It's basically FORTY LICKS... with the JUMP BACK artwork!

Here's another bizarre comp, from RSR, that includes tracks from LOVE YOU LIVE and STILL LIFE.

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 26, 2019 17:31

GasLightStreet
This release is hilarious. What the hell!

Here's another bizarre comp, from RSR, that includes tracks from LOVE YOU LIVE and STILL LIFE.

[www.discogs.com]
This is no bizarre but a collector's candy. Some people are ready to sell their kidney to get this one. Matt is listing it as a top 3 collector's rarity.
[www.tapatalk.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 17:32 by ironbelly.

Date: March 26, 2019 17:35

GasLightStreet

EDIT: After a look at discogs.com for JUMP BACK... the 2004 edition is the 1993 edition.
Jump Back was European only release. It was not sold in the USA. It appears in the USA only in 2004 with that strange blue cover.

Date: March 26, 2019 17:56

ironbelly
GasLightStreet

Jump Back was European only release. It was not sold in the USA. It appears in the USA only in 2004 with that strange blue cover.

It was released in the US in 2004 for its US edition, which went out of print when they switched to UMe... and it's back in print world wide (on Polydor in some places).

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 26, 2019 20:21

I never thought that the success of an album necessarily corresponds to quality, but it is an important indicator. Each of us has different musical sensibilities, but it's nice to know that your musical sensibility sometimes matches the success of an album. For me music is sacred, I don't like it all, but I always have great respect for those with other tastes. I can't stand having the presumption to say that what he listens to is better ...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 26, 2019 21:08

Testify
I never thought that the success of an album necessarily corresponds to quality, but it is an important indicator. Each of us has different musical sensibilities, but it's nice to know that your musical sensibility sometimes matches the success of an album. For me music is sacred, I don't like it all, but I always have great respect for those with other tastes. I can't stand having the presumption to say that what he listens to is better ...

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 11:17

ironbelly
Jump Back was European only release. It was not sold in the USA. It appears in the USA only in 2004 with that strange blue cover.[/quote]

I got it in a small record store in Perth Australia. They certainly did not import it....

Rod

Date: March 27, 2019 12:15

bitusa2012
ironbelly

I got it in a small record store in Perth Australia. They certainly did not import it....[/quote]
My fault. Between 1993 and 2004 it was sold everywhere in the world, but the USA. Officially in the USA it was issued only in 2004.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 27, 2019 16:01

GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Doxa
Testify
Some girls knew it was the best-selling album (leaving out compilations), but I'm glad to see VL right behind LIB, I always thought it's a great album.

SOME GIRLS is their best selling studio album because Americans decided during the summer of 1978 that it was the best thing one can get. That explains its huge sales (6.8 m units sold only in the US market). It was a great seller all over the world, but, for example, in Europe it has sold about the same as VOODOO LOUNGE did, both EXILE and STICKY FINGERS selling more. In UK, BLUE & LONESOME has sold almost as many copies as SOME GIRLS!

Anyway, my biggest concern has always been relatively small sales of BEGGARS BANQUET. It is one of their most hailed albums ever but that doesn't quite translate in sales.

- Doxa

I think it's concerning that something like Bridges to Babylon, Steel Wheels and even Emotional Rescue outsold better albums like Aftermath and Out Of Our Heads as well as Beggars Banquet.

Two of those three had huge tours. STEEL WHEELS was the water tank after a drought so it made sense that it would sell well. #5 single with Mixed Emotions, people were excited.

BRIDGES... no big hits on it but perhaps the singles got enough attention in other ways that made people interested. It's also a very diverse album so it's possible word of mouth helped out with that.

EMOTIONAL RESCUE had a huge single (#3) with the title track and it was on the back of SOME GIRLS - people were still paying attention. Their longest running #1 LP ever - without a tour. In the US anyway, Start Me Up got to #2, with a tour. So that gives the significance of Emotional Rescue's single release some weight as a hit song, which they bizarrely ignored on tours - they should've played it for the 1981-82 tours.

The problem is that all 3 are mediocre at best compared to albums like Beggars Banquet and Aftermath.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: March 27, 2019 17:37

ironbelly
GasLightStreet

It was released in the US in 1993. I bought Jump Back in 1993 at a record store here in the US. Probably a chain called Turtles. It wasn’t a one off as others bought it as well.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 27, 2019 18:47

This thread is not sticky for a while, but you will easily find it through the following link on the IORR home page:

IORR Forum links of interest

Bjornulf

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: March 27, 2019 21:25

Jump Back was available in 1993 in Canada. HMV/ Sam the Record Man etc. sold it with the Boot and shoe cover.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 28, 2019 03:25

Guess this isn't sticky anymore

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2019 03:30

Fly paper still is ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2019 04:07

nankerphlege
ironbelly
GasLightStreet

It was released in the US in 1993. I bought Jump Back in 1993 at a record store here in the US. Probably a chain called Turtles. It wasn’t a one off as others bought it as well.

That was strictly an import. I got it then in New Orleans.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 1, 2019 11:46

He’s late about the Mick or not

Date: April 1, 2019 13:07

GasLightStreet
nankerphlege
ironbelly
GasLightStreet

Correct. It was sold as import. But not as original US release which appeared in 2004.

Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones is the sixth official compilation album by The Rolling Stones. It was initially released worldwide, except in North America, in 1993. The North American release came on 24 August 2004.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2019 13:43

It was initially released worldwide, except in North America, in 1993. The North American release came on 24 August 2004.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't
the track by track liner notes by Mick
and Keith only first appear on the 2004 US release ….

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-01 14:00 by Rockman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 1, 2019 13:58

ironbelly
GasLightStreet
nankerphlege
ironbelly
GasLightStreet

Correct. It was sold as import. But not as original US release which appeared in 2004.

Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones is the sixth official compilation album by The Rolling Stones. It was initially released worldwide, except in North America, in 1993. The North American release came on 24 August 2004.

Why the long delay in releasing it in North America ?

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 1, 2019 21:42

With the tour postponed...I wonder if this comp. release will be pushed back to coincide with tour start. That was the point of the album right?...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 2, 2019 15:46

2005&2009 remastered albums will be released on May 22.
[www.musiclifeclub.com]

Date: April 2, 2019 17:01

Toru A
[www.musiclifeclub.com]
A bit messed up. The other press release claim 2009 remaster for all but Sucking in the 70's, not for Rewind.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]
In any case, these are for die-hard only, IMHO.
Apart of 2005 remaster nothing can beat old editions
1975 - Made In The Shade [CDCBS 450201 2] / [32DP604]
1980 - Sucking In The 70s [CDCBS 450205 2] / [32DP610]
and 1984 - Rewind [CP35-5021]
in terms of sound quality.
The other two is just copy-paste job from 2009 sources and special booklets. So, you know winking smiley.

Date: April 3, 2019 04:54

Rockman
It was initially released worldwide, except in North America, in 1993. The North American release came on 24 August 2004.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't
the track by track liner notes by Mick
and Keith only first appear on the 2004 US release ….

Since the 2004 release is the 1993 release, no.

Date: April 3, 2019 04:57

ironbelly
Toru A
[www.musiclifeclub.com]
A bit messed up. The other press release claim 2009 remaster for all but Sucking in the 70's, not for Rewind.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]
In any case, these are for die-hard only, IMHO.
Apart of 2005 remaster nothing can beat old editions
1975 - Made In The Shade [CDCBS 450201 2] / [32DP604]
1980 - Sucking In The 70s [CDCBS 450205 2] / [32DP610]
and 1984 - Rewind [CP35-5021]
in terms of sound quality.
The other two is just copy-paste job from 2009 sources and special booklets. So, you know winking smiley.

The Virgin reissues of SUCKING and SHADE sound fantastic, better than the (original) CBS issues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home