Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 23, 2019 20:30

do they have a plaid?
does any of it glow in the dark?
need response urgently; ty.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 20:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 23, 2019 20:40

hopkins
do they have a plaid?

The plaid edition will be sold exclusively at the Seattle show I'm told.
Dubbed the "grunge edition", not sure if it glows or not. Will update.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 24, 2019 00:55

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
OK...so saw the blue vinyl version at Target online...$33 for shipping, so screw that. I'll try and pick up when I'm in Seattle for the show.

Where in the world do you get the red vinyl, if anyone knows? thx.

Red vinyl available only at the shows is my understanding...
Also, on the way down to the Seattle show, Target is a pretty easy stop just off I-5 in Bellingham (Bellis Fair Mall) cool smiley
Correct. Red vinyl will be available at the shows only. This one could be a tough call.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:17

hopkins
do they have a plaid?

i feel like that one could have been a haiku.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:18

Hmm.. the strange world of greatest hits compilations started to interest me, so I went to chartmasters.org to check the sales of their compilations. It is about two years old, but still provides quite an accurate picture of their record sales. Here comes a few observations.

First of all, I noticed one funny fact about HOT ROCKS. It was not relaesed in UK until 1990, but it has sold over one million copies there ever since! It means that HOT ROCKS, an album designed once for North American market only, it's the best selling Stones album in their homeland not only since it was released in 1990 but ever.

Secondly, we all know what a huge seller HOT ROCKS is (12,8 m). But that shouldn't hide the fact how huge sellers many of their major compilations, especially the ones from ABKCO era, have been. From all of their albums released during the 60's, two of the three biggest sellers have been, surprise, surprise, BIG HITS (6,6 m) and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY (6,0 m), only LET IT BLEED (7,0 m) passing them. For example, albums like BEGGARS BANQUET (4th) and AFTERMATH (5th) have sold 'only' around 4 million copies. And those two greatest hits albums have been out of print for decades, basically HOT ROCKS (and for some time ROLLED GOLD) fulfilling their function (have they ever been released even in CD format?). With HOT ROCKS, those three albums together have sold over 25 million copies! This also is a rather strong indication that the 60's Stones were a singles band - although their studio albums, except LET IT BLEED, were not that big sellers, their hit collections from those days were and are.

And that's not the whole story. If during the 70's HOT ROCKS were targeted at American market, the other parts of world were treated also with rather well-selling releases. For example, mostly UK targeted ROLLED GOLD has sold 1,5 m, and an item called GREATEST HITS (known also as GET STONED), released in 1977, 2,4 m. MORE HOT ROCKS sold 1,7 m while years later (in 1989), SINGLES COLLECTION 2,2 m. Altogether, if we even leave FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, ABKCO has sold almost 40 million copies with Stones compilations! No wonder Allen Klein must have been laughing all the way to bank.

But what goes for so called Rolling Stones Records/Promotone era, selling those hits has been a bit more difficult. Both MADE IN THE SHADE and REWIND were rather moderate sellers: with their 1,9 and 2,5 m sales they sold significiantly less than their new studio albums at the time (and SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES barely 1,25 m). During the 70's and 80's, the selling point of the Stones clearly was their new studio albums. So it was not until the release of JUMP BACK in 1993 they would have a clear winner in their hands: its sales of 6,9 m since then are impressive, and like I have said in the psot above, it is their best selling 'new' album since TATTOO YOU and before FORTY LICKS was released. I guess that of being for a long time the only major album to cover Promotone era hits explains rather much its sales. A bit like the effect of HOT ROCKS.

Altogether, leaving FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, The Stones during their Promotone ara have sold about 13 million copies of compilation albums (about 10 million more if we include those two). The total would be a bit more, since the sales of locally targeted (mostly UK) TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE are not available, but most likely it wasn't a million seller. Any case, Klein with his antique catalogue has been outselling them in greatest hits market.

Yep, then we have these two 'hybrid' releases, covering their whole career. FORTY LICKS sold 7,7 m in its a decade long lifespan, which makes it rather high in their over-all ranking, and it most likely will be remain their last 'huge' seller. Compare that to sales of BRIDGES TO BABYLON (4,7 m) and A BIGGER BANG (2,6 m) - clearly out-selling both. By the time GRRR! was released the album market had slowed down efficiently, but still I guess the sales of 2,2 m might have been a bit disappointing for UMG. For example, BLUE & LONESOME has briefly outsold it. What goes for the fate of HONK, the question is how long it will be on sale, and being the only album to cover the post '71 era. Still I would say selling about half of what GRRR! did will be a tough task.

Some summary of the sales of compilation albums:

ABKCO era: 38,5 (added two extra million)
Promotone era: 14 (added one extra million)
Hybrids: 10
Totals: over 60 million

Lastly, here are all of their albums listed by their sales, compilations in bold:

1. HOT ROCKS 12,8
2. SOME GIRLS 11,3
3. STICKY FINGERS 9,4
4. TATTOO YOU 8,5
5. EXILE ON MAIN STREET 8,1
6. FORTY LICKS 7,7
7. LET IT BLEED 7,0
8. JUMP BACK 6,9
9. BIG HITS 6,7
10. VOODOO LOUNGE 6,4
11. GOATS HEAD SOUP 6,4
12. THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY 6,0
13. EMOTIONAL RESCUE 5,7
14. STEEL WHEELS 5,6
15. BRIDGES TO BABYLON 4,7
16. BLACK AND BLUE 4,1
17. BEGGARS BANQUET 4,0
18. FLASHPOINT 4,0
19. STRIPPED 4,0
20. AFTERMATH 3,9
21. DIRTY WORK 3,9
22. IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL 3,7
23. GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! 3,6
24. UNDERCOVER 3,4
25. STILL LIFE 3,2
26. OUT OF OUR HEADS 2,9
27. REWIND 2,5
28. BLUE & LONESOME 2,5 (?)
29. THE ROLLING STONES 2,5
30. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES 2,5
31. LOVE YOU LIVE 2,5
32. GREATEST HITS 2,4
33. GRRR! 2,2
34. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS 2,2
35. SINGLES COLLECTION: THE LONDON YEARS 2,2
36. MADE IN THE SHADE 1,9
37. MORE HOT ROCKS 1,7
38. GO LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! 1,7
39. 12X5 1,7
40. FLOWERS 1,5
41. SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES 1,3
42. ROLLED GOLD 1,5
43. METAMORPHOSIS 1,4
44. THE ROLLING STONES, NOW! 1,3
45. DECEMBER'S CHILDREN 1,3
46. NO SECURITY 1,3
47. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 1,0
48. LIVE LICKS 0,8
49. SHINE A LIGHT 0,7
50. STONE AGE 0,5
51. ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS 0,5
52. GIMME SHELTER 0,4
53. MILESTONES 0,4
54. RARITIES 1971-2003 0,4
55. SWEET SUMMER SUN 0,3
56. STORY OF THE STONES 0,3
57. THE VERY BEST OF 0,2
58. BRAVO 0,2

Surely, there are many albums still missing, and most likely some of them would probably make top 50 or close, such as TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE and ON AIR. I am rather sure an early German-based Decca compilation AROUND AND AROUND sold rather well at the time.

A side note: best selling Jagger solo album (SHE'S THE BOSS) with its 2,5 m sales would make #27-31 in this list. Keith's best selling album (much hailed TALK IS CHEAP) with its 1 m sales would be #48... No wonder those guys aren't much into solo career...

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 02:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:28

just noticed "honk" has "don't stop" on it. i went to a bunch of shows on the licks tour & it got to the point where that became the song to smoke, pee and/or shop for tshirts.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:44

Doxa
Hmm.. the strange world of greatest hits compilations started to interest me, so I went to chartmasters.org to check the sales of their compilations. It is about two years old, but still provides quite an accurate picture of their record sales. Here comes a few observations.

First of all, I noticed one funny fact about HOT ROCKS. It was not relaesed in UK until 1990, but it has sold over one million copies there ever since! It means that HOT ROCKS, an album designed once for North American market only, it's the best selling Stones album in their homeland not only since it was released in 1990 but ever.

Secondly, we all know what a huge seller HOT ROCKS is (12,8 m). But that shouldn't hide the fact how huge sellers many of their major compilations, especially the ones from ABKCO era, have been. From all of their albums released during the 60's, two of the three biggest sellers have been, surprise, surprise, BIG HITS (6,6 m) and THROUGH THE PAST, DARKLY (6,0 m), only LET IT BLEED (7,0 m) passing them. For example, albums like BEGGARS BANQUET (4th) and AFTERMATH (5th) have sold 'only' around 4 million copies. And those two greatest hits albums have been out of print for decades, basically HOT ROCKS (and for some time ROLLED GOLD) fulfilling their function (have they ever been released even in CD format?). With HOT ROCKS, those three albums together have sold over 25 million copies! This also is a rather strong indication that the 60's Stones were a singles band - although their studio albums, except LET IT BLEED, were not that big sellers, their hit collections from those days were and are.

And that's not the whole story. If during the 70's HOT ROCKS were targeted at American market, the other parts of world were treated also rather well-selling releases. For example, mostly UK targeted ROLLED GOLD has sold 1,5 m, and an item called GREATEST HITS (known also as GET STONED), released in 1977, 2,4 m. MORE HOT ROCKS sold 1,7 m while years later (in 1989), SINGLES COLLECTION 2,2 m. Altogether, if we even leave FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, ABKCO has sold almost 40 million copies with Stones compilations! No wonder Allen Klein must have been laughing all the way to bank.

But what goes for so called Rolling Stones Records/Promotone era, selling those hits has been a bit more difficult. Both MADE IN THE SHADE and REWIND were rather moderate sellers: with their 1,9 and 2,5 m sales they sold significiantly less than their new studio albums at the time (and SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES barely 1,25 m). During the 70's and 80's, the selling point of the Stones clearly was their new studio albums. So it was not until the release of JUMP BACK in 1993 they would have a clear winner in their hands: its sales of 6,9 m since then are impressive, and like I have said in the psot above, it is their best selling 'new' album since TATTOO YOU and before FORTY LICKS was released. I guess that of being for a long time the only major album to cover Promotone era hits explains rather much its sales. A bit like the effect of HOT ROCKS.

Altogether, leaving FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, The Stones during their Promotone ara have sold about 13 million copies of compilation albums (about 10 million more if we include those two). The total would be a bit more, since the sales of locally targeted (mostly UK) TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE are not available, but most likely it wasn't a million seller. Any case, Klein with his antique catalogue has been outselling them in greatest hits market.

Yep, then we have these two 'hybrid' releases, covering their whole career. FORTY LICKS sold 7,7 m in its a decade long lifespan, which makes it rather high in their over-all ranking, and it most likely will be remain their last 'huge' seller. Compare that to sales of BRIDGES TO BABYLON (4,7 m) and A BIGGER BANG (2,6 m) - clearly out-selling both. By the time GRRR! was released the album market had slowed down efficiently, but still I guess the sales of 2,2 m might have been a bit disappointing for UMG. For example, BLUE & LONESOME has briefly outsold it. What goes for the fate of HONK, the question is how long it will be on sale, and being the only album to cover the post '71 era. Still I would say selling about half of what GRRR! did will be a tough task.

ABKCO era: 37,5 (added one extra million)
Totals: about 60 million

Lastly, here are all of their albums listed by their sales, compilations in bold:

1. HOT ROCKS 12,8
2. SOME GIRLS 11,3
3. STICKY FINGERS 9,4
4. TATTOO YOU 8,5
6. FORTY LICKS 7,7
7. LET IT BLEED 7,0
8. JUMP BACK 6,9
9. BIG HITS 6,7
10. VOODOO LOUNGE 6,4
11. GOATS HEAD SOUP 6,4
13. EMOTIONAL RESCUE 5,7
14. STEEL WHEELS 5,6
16. BLACK AND BLUE 4,1
17. BEGGARS BANQUET 4,0
18. FLASHPOINT 4,0
19. STRIPPED 4,0
20. AFTERMATH 3,9
21. DIRTY WORK 3,9
24. UNDERCOVER 3,4
25. STILL LIFE 3,2
26. OUT OF OUR HEADS 2,9
27. REWIND 2,5
31. LOVE YOU LIVE 2,5
32. GREATEST HITS 2,4
33. GRRR! 2,2
37. MORE HOT ROCKS 1,7
39. 12X5 1,7
40. FLOWERS 1,5
42. ROLLED GOLD 1,5
43. METAMORPHOSIS 1,4
46. SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES 1,3
47. NO SECURITY 1,3
48. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 1,0
49. LIVE LICKS 0,8
50. SHINE A LIGHT 0,7
51. STONE AGE 0,5
52. ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS 0,5
53. GIMME SHELTER 0,4
54. MILESTONES 0,4
55. RARITIES 1971-2003 0,4
56. SWEET SUMMER SUN 0,3
57. STORY OF THE STONES 0,3
58. THE VERY BEST OF 0,2
59. BRAVO 0,2

Surely, there are many albums still missing, and most likely some of them would probably make top 50 or close, such as TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE and ON AIR. I am rather sure an early German-based Decca compilation AROUND AND AROUND sold rather well at the time.

A side note: best selling Jagger solo album (SHE'S THE BOSS) with its 2,5 m sales would make #27-31 in this list. Keith's best selling album (much hailed TALK IS CHEAP) with its 1 m sales would be #48... No wonder those guys aren't much into solo career...

- Doxa

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: March 24, 2019 01:45

Doxa

And that's not the whole story. If during the 70's HOT ROCKS were targeted at American market, the other parts of world were treated also with rather well-selling releases. For example, mostly UK targeted ROLLED GOLD has sold 1,5 m, and an item called GREATEST HITS (known also as GET STONED), released in 1977, 2,4 m. MORE HOT ROCKS sold 1,7 m while years later (in 1989), SINGLES COLLECTION 2,2 m. Altogether, if we even leave FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, ABKCO has sold almost 40 million copies with Stones compilations! No wonder Allen Klein must have been laughing all the way to bank.

1. HOT ROCKS 12,8
2. SOME GIRLS 11,3
3. STICKY FINGERS 9,4
4. TATTOO YOU 8,5
6. FORTY LICKS 7,7
7. LET IT BLEED 7,0
8. JUMP BACK 6,9
9. BIG HITS 6,7
10. VOODOO LOUNGE 6,4
11. GOATS HEAD SOUP 6,4
13. EMOTIONAL RESCUE 5,7
14. STEEL WHEELS 5,6
16. BLACK AND BLUE 4,1
17. BEGGARS BANQUET 4,0
18. FLASHPOINT 4,0
19. STRIPPED 4,0
20. AFTERMATH 3,9
21. DIRTY WORK 3,9
24. UNDERCOVER 3,4
25. STILL LIFE 3,2
26. OUT OF OUR HEADS 2,9
27. REWIND 2,5
31. LOVE YOU LIVE 2,5
32. GREATEST HITS 2,4
33. GRRR! 2,2
37. MORE HOT ROCKS 1,7
39. 12X5 1,7
40. FLOWERS 1,5
42. ROLLED GOLD 1,5
43. METAMORPHOSIS 1,4
47. NO SECURITY 1,3
49. LIVE LICKS 0,8
50. SHINE A LIGHT 0,7
51. STONE AGE 0,5
53. GIMME SHELTER 0,4
54. MILESTONES 0,4
56. SWEET SUMMER SUN 0,3
58. THE VERY BEST OF 0,2
59. BRAVO 0,2

- Doxa

Some girls on top, what else can you ask for. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 01:47 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:45

Doxa

And that's not the whole story. If during the 70's HOT ROCKS were targeted at American market, the other parts of world were treated also rather well-selling releases. For example, mostly UK targeted ROLLED GOLD has sold 1,5 m, and an item called GREATEST HITS (known also as GET STONED), released in 1977, 2,4 m. MORE HOT ROCKS sold 1,7 m while years later (in 1989), SINGLES COLLECTION 2,2 m. Altogether, if we even leave FORTY LICKS and GRRR! out, ABKCO has sold almost 40 million copies with Stones compilations! No wonder Allen Klein must have been laughing all the way to bank.

ABKCO era: 37,5 (added one extra million)

1. HOT ROCKS 12,8
2. SOME GIRLS 11,3
3. STICKY FINGERS 9,4
4. TATTOO YOU 8,5
6. FORTY LICKS 7,7
7. LET IT BLEED 7,0
8. JUMP BACK 6,9
9. BIG HITS 6,7
10. VOODOO LOUNGE 6,4
11. GOATS HEAD SOUP 6,4
13. EMOTIONAL RESCUE 5,7
14. STEEL WHEELS 5,6
16. BLACK AND BLUE 4,1
17. BEGGARS BANQUET 4,0
18. FLASHPOINT 4,0
19. STRIPPED 4,0
20. AFTERMATH 3,9
21. DIRTY WORK 3,9
24. UNDERCOVER 3,4
25. STILL LIFE 3,2
26. OUT OF OUR HEADS 2,9
27. REWIND 2,5
31. LOVE YOU LIVE 2,5
32. GREATEST HITS 2,4
33. GRRR! 2,2
37. MORE HOT ROCKS 1,7
39. 12X5 1,7
40. FLOWERS 1,5
42. ROLLED GOLD 1,5
43. METAMORPHOSIS 1,4
47. NO SECURITY 1,3
49. LIVE LICKS 0,8
50. SHINE A LIGHT 0,7
51. STONE AGE 0,5
53. GIMME SHELTER 0,4
54. MILESTONES 0,4
56. SWEET SUMMER SUN 0,3
58. THE VERY BEST OF 0,2
59. BRAVO 0,2

- Doxa

I actually think Rolled Gold + the cd reissue does a better job of summarizing the period than Hot Rocks. Rolled Gold + contains every song on Hot Rocks and most of lesser hits which appeared on More Hot Rocks and 4 tracks that do not appear on either Hot Rocks or More Hot Rocks including I Wanna Be Your Man and Little Red Rooster. Hot Rocks manages to omit all of their psychedelic tracks which were later included on More Hot Rocks and also omits The Last Time replacing it with the b-side Play With Fire which did not chart as high.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 01:50 by boogaloojef.

Date: March 24, 2019 01:46

crholmstrom
just noticed "honk" has "don't stop" on it. i went to a bunch of shows on the licks tour & it got to the point where that became the song to smoke, pee and/or shop for tshirts.
I get it I suppose, but of all the shows I've ever attended, I don't believe I've ever broken away to do any of that while they were performing any song.

Probably happened, a bathroom break somewhere along the way, but being a non-drinker does has it's advantages cool smiley Seriously, I can't imagine ever wanting to do any of those things that I can easily do before or after, while the band is onstage.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 24, 2019 01:59

Some girls knew it was the best-selling album (leaving out compilations), but I'm glad to see VL right behind LIB, I always thought it's a great album.

Date: March 24, 2019 02:10

Some Girls isn't even in my top 5 favorite Stones albums.

Date: March 24, 2019 02:43

Testify
Some girls knew it was the best-selling album (leaving out compilations), but I'm glad to see VL right behind LIB, I always thought it's a great album.

SOME GIRLS is their best selling studio album because Americans decided during the summer of 1978 that it was the best thing one can get. That explains its huge sales (6.8 m units sold only in the US market). It was a great seller all over the world, but, for example, in Europe it has sold about the same as VOODOO LOUNGE did, both EXILE and STICKY FINGERS selling more. In UK, BLUE & LONESOME has sold almost as many copies as SOME GIRLS!

Anyway, my biggest concern has always been relatively small sales of BEGGARS BANQUET. It is one of their most hailed albums ever but that doesn't quite translate in sales.

- Doxa

Date: March 24, 2019 03:02

MisterDDDD
crholmstrom
I get it I suppose, but of all the shows I've ever attended, I don't believe I've ever broken away to do any of that while they were performing any song.

Probably happened, a bathroom break somewhere along the way, but being a non-drinker does has it's advantages cool smiley Seriously, I can't imagine ever wanting to do any of those things that I can easily do before or after, while the band is onstage.

i just didn't care for the song much & like i said, i saw a bunch of shows that tour. liked the 2 songs from grrrrrr much more for different reasons. if i had gone to more than 1 show in 2012, the song for a break would've definitely been emotional rescue. i don't drink either but don't like standing in line for stuff if i can avoid it. i'm disabled & have a hard time getting around & tend to get pushed around in situations like that. it's gotten much worse over time. just something i have to deal with.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:05

Doxa
Testify

SOME GIRLS is their best selling studio album because Americans decided during the summer of 1978 that it was the best thing one can get. That explains its huge sales (6.8 m units sold only in the US market). It was a great seller all over the world, but, for example, in Europe it has sold about the same as VOODOO LOUNGE did, both EXILE and STICKY FINGERS selling more. In UK, BLUE & LONESOME has sold almost as many copies as SOME GIRLS!

Anyway, my biggest concern has always been relatively small sales of BEGGARS BANQUET. It is one of their most hailed albums ever but that doesn't quite translate in sales.

- Doxa

I think it's concerning that something like Bridges to Babylon, Steel Wheels and even Emotional Rescue outsold better albums like Aftermath and Out Of Our Heads as well as Beggars Banquet.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:07

crholmstrom
MisterDDDD
crholmstrom

i just didn't care for the song much & like i said, i saw a bunch of shows that tour. liked the 2 songs from grrrrrr much more for different reasons. if i had gone to more than 1 show in 2012, the song for a break would've definitely been emotional rescue. i don't drink either but don't like standing in line for stuff if i can avoid it. i'm disabled & have a hard time getting around & tend to get pushed around in situations like that. it's gotten much worse over time. just something i have to deal with.

Of course, individual circumstances and preferences differ.

No offense intended, speaking more in general, as it's pretty common for fans to do a "keith pee break" etc. Just have always tried to soak in every live moment.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:48

MisterDDDD
crholmstrom
MisterDDDD
crholmstrom

Of course, individual circumstances and preferences differ.

No offense intended, speaking more in general, as it's pretty common for fans to do a "keith pee break" etc. Just have always tried to soak in every live moment.

i would never miss the keith set!smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2019 04:51

…. Don't go anywhere ..
Ya can't always see The Stones but ya can have a slash anytime …..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 24, 2019 13:59

Doxa

Totals: over 60 million

1. HOT ROCKS 12,8
2. SOME GIRLS 11,3
3. STICKY FINGERS 9,4
4. TATTOO YOU 8,5
6. FORTY LICKS 7,7
7. LET IT BLEED 7,0
8. JUMP BACK 6,9
9. BIG HITS 6,7
10. VOODOO LOUNGE 6,4
11. GOATS HEAD SOUP 6,4
13. EMOTIONAL RESCUE 5,7
14. STEEL WHEELS 5,6
16. BLACK AND BLUE 4,1
17. BEGGARS BANQUET 4,0
18. FLASHPOINT 4,0
19. STRIPPED 4,0
20. AFTERMATH 3,9
21. DIRTY WORK 3,9
24. UNDERCOVER 3,4
25. STILL LIFE 3,2
26. OUT OF OUR HEADS 2,9
27. REWIND 2,5
31. LOVE YOU LIVE 2,5
32. GREATEST HITS 2,4
33. GRRR! 2,2
37. MORE HOT ROCKS 1,7
39. 12X5 1,7
40. FLOWERS 1,5
42. ROLLED GOLD 1,5
43. METAMORPHOSIS 1,4
46. NO SECURITY 1,3
47. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 1,0
48. LIVE LICKS 0,8
49. SHINE A LIGHT 0,7
50. STONE AGE 0,5
51. ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS 0,5
52. GIMME SHELTER 0,4
53. MILESTONES 0,4
54. RARITIES 1971-2003 0,4
55. SWEET SUMMER SUN 0,3
56. STORY OF THE STONES 0,3
57. THE VERY BEST OF 0,2
58. BRAVO 0,2

- Doxa

Great research Doxa, thank you for that oversight. That chart is something one could analyze for an hour or two. Surprised how low "Banquet" and "Ya-Yas" are. I bet some other Live albums of that era by other acts have sold a good bit more.
I looked at tracklisting for 'Honk' (who is naming these albums these days??). Most obviously they have the A-list songs on CD1, the B-list on 2 etc.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2019 14:53

MisterDDDD
crholmstrom

I concur...I go for drinx after the show.

Date: March 24, 2019 14:56

Some interesting findings on Doxa's review. First of all, didn't realize Sticky has now outsold Tattoo You...I guess because of the rerelease in 2015?

Also, that Black and Blue outsold IORR...didn't see that coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 16:17 by treaclefingers.

Date: March 24, 2019 15:07

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
OK...so saw the blue vinyl version at Target online...$33 for shipping, so screw that. I'll try and pick up when I'm in Seattle for the show.

Where in the world do you get the red vinyl, if anyone knows? thx.

Red vinyl available only at the shows is my understanding...
Also, on the way down to the Seattle show, Target is a pretty easy stop just off I-5 in Bellingham (Bellis Fair Mall) cool smiley

Thank U Mr.Dx4!

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 24, 2019 15:51

Testify

...and proof that VL was a great 2nd comeback album....

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 24, 2019 18:47

Revo 2000 a question

Should A Bigger Bang be at no 27 with 2.6m its not on the list?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 24, 2019 19:12

Hot Rocks has sold over 500k in the US since late 2016, an average of 4-5k each week. In the UK the album averages 800-1k copies each week too, so we have another 100k sold during the past 2 years.

The updated number is 13.5 million copies including UK and US sales from the past 2 years.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 24, 2019 20:22

georgelicks
Hot Rocks has sold over 500k in the US since late 2016, an average of 4-5k each week. In the UK the album averages 800-1k copies each week too, so we have another 100k sold during the past 2 years.

The updated number is 13.5 million copies including UK and US sales from the past 2 years.

I thought albums were dead...'a thing of the past...' etc.
I bet ABKCO's Accountant doesnt think so.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 24, 2019 20:47

Also, how many copies of some of their songs are splited among various albums?

Let's take one, "Brown Sugar":

13.5m Hot Rocks
9.4m Sticky Fingers
7.7m Forty Licks
6.9m Jump Back
4.0m Flashpoint
2.5m Rewind
2.5m Love You Live
2.4m Get Stoned/Greatest Hits
2.2m GRRR
2.2m Singles Collection
1.9m Made In The Shade
1.5m Rolled Gold
0.8m Live Licks
0.7m Shine a Light

+ 4.5m from the physical/digital single

+ 6-7m from other albums (Sweet Summer Sun + vault live albums as Hampton 81, Texas 81, SF Live, etc + local compilations) and live videos (At The Max, B2B live, Four Flicks, Biggest Bang, etc.)

Total: 69m+ copies sold

Almost 70 million copies of Brown Sugar floating around over there.

Date: March 24, 2019 21:17

ThePaleRider
Testify

...and proof that VL was a great 2nd comeback album....

The whole 'comeback' period, starting with STEEL WHEELS, and ending with STRIPPED, was a great phase for the Stones salewise, almost matching with the other peaks such as from 1969 to 1973 (from THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY to GOATS HEAD SOUP, each major item, except YA-YA'S, selling at least 6 millions copies to this day!) and from 1978 to 1981 (including the monster hit albums SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU). Within that time frame from 1989 to 1995 they released two of their best selling live albums ever (both FLASHPOINT and STRIPPED selling four million copies, which means that both, for example, outsold their mid-80's new studio albums UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK and high-profile compilation REWIND) and two very successful new studio albums. Over-all they sold about 20 million copies with those four albums (and then, the big seller JUMP BACK was also released within that time frame). Of course that period, early 90's, was the all-time high in selling albums generally (the golden age of CD-era), but still a great achievement.

If we take into account those incredibly successful tours (Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle and Voodoo Lounge tours) it was indeed a great come-back for veteran rockers back to form!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-24 21:26 by Doxa.

Date: March 24, 2019 21:31

georgelicks
Also, how many copies of some of their songs are splited among various albums?

Let's take one, "Brown Sugar":

13.5m Hot Rocks
9.4m Sticky Fingers
7.7m Forty Licks
6.9m Jump Back
4.0m Flashpoint
2.5m Rewind
2.5m Love You Live
2.4m Get Stoned/Greatest Hits
2.2m GRRR
2.2m Singles Collection
1.9m Made In The Shade
1.5m Rolled Gold
0.8m Live Licks
0.7m Shine a Light

+ 4.5m from the physical/digital single

+ 6-7m from other albums (Sweet Summer Sun + vault live albums as Hampton 81, Texas 81, SF Live, etc + local compilations) and live videos (At The Max, B2B live, Four Flicks, Biggest Bang, etc.)

Total: 69m+ copies sold

Almost 70 million copies of Brown Sugar floating around over there.

A great observation! An interesting angle to consider the success and significance of certain Stones songs.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 24, 2019 22:34

Doxa
Testify

- Doxa
Sorry but ... what did the Americans do to you? Do you mean to say that Americans are less important? I am European, but your speech does not seem acceptable to me or at least I don't understand it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home