Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 22, 2019 07:48

bs on there right?
good lyrics. right to the point. yeah yeah yeah whooo! love that.
the rest of it? OK, he was in a field. isolated on remote set.
there were cows. he's mick. wtf , good he had an electric on him, so to speak.
invented that open tuning thing that ry took i hear from a lot of people.
not just that riff, he does all the parts. dances too. honk for mick.
i'm changing sides. I've alerted both management entities.
Charlie's does not take my calls.
ok; April; are they rehearsing yet and where; honk if you know.
honk i'd buy it if i were you but i'm not so i'm not
well maybe
if it's an 'impulse item' thingie in say the 99 cents store or something.
or we could do better than that; some chain; they could have a chain advert
circa that billboard they had to take down; it's a new century;
that's kid stuff; they do that on fire with machine guns or they never get a record deal. hey remember First Edition; who the hell were they hold on brb...
okaay.oh no ; no way i'm leaving a link...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 07:49 by hopkins.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 22, 2019 08:58

A studio and live version of Dancing with Mr. D? Plus the live albums are always ignored for these type of releases. (IORR from Love You Live)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 22, 2019 09:32

When I was in the audience for the Dave Grohl BITCH guest spot my main thought was, "Umm...Mick Taylor was on the original and he's backstage right now, I'd rather have him out here." But, hey, at least the Grohl version has now made HONK...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 22, 2019 12:29

hopkins
ADTL is on there, right?

Nope. Sorry...

- Doxa

Date: March 22, 2019 12:43

Maindefender

Plus the live albums are always ignored for these type of releases. (IORR from Love You Live)

There only seems to be one exception to a rule: "Midnight Rambler" in HOT ROCKS is from YA-YA'S (and if memory serves, it can be also found in similar, big prfile UK compilation ROLLED GOLD as well).

Since it is not a question of some iconic single hits (like "It's Only Rock'n'Roll") but more of 'deep album cuts', I think, for example, "Out of Control" could've been taken from NO SECURITY. It is also one of those rare latter-day songs they have played relatively much live, even lately. And I think it is one of those rare latter-day songs that actually works better live than it does in an original studio version (I think the SECURITY version makes the original BRIDGES one sound like a torso).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 12:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 22, 2019 13:43

Doxa
Maindefender

Plus the live albums are always ignored for these type of releases. (IORR from Love You Live)

There only seems to be one exception to a rule: "Midnight Rambler" in HOT ROCKS is from YA-YA'S (and if memory serves, it can be also found in similar, big prfile UK compilation ROLLED GOLD as well).

Since it is not a question of some iconic single hits (like "It's Only Rock'n'Roll") but more of 'deep album cuts', I think, for example, "Out of Control" could've been taken from NO SECURITY. It is also one of those rare latter-day songs they have played relatively much live, even lately. And I think it is one of those rare latter-day songs that actually works better live than it does in an original studio version (I think the SECURITY version makes the original BRIDGES one sound like a torso).

- Doxa
Rolled Gold (at least Rolled Gold+ [ABKCO 5303281]contains studio version of Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 22, 2019 15:03

potus43
Their greed is unbelievable
aGREED

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 22, 2019 15:25

MrMibbs
potus43
Their greed is unbelievable
aGREED

I disgaree.
I suspect this album is a contractual obligation.
The record label is pimping out their back catalog so that they can bump up sales and anticipation of new album.
We don't have to buy it.
I'm not planning to.
I'll download the live show through my streaming service.
I wouldn't be surprised if Honk! Outsells the new album.

Date: March 22, 2019 15:43

ironbelly
Doxa

Rolled Gold (at least Rolled Gold+ [ABKCO 5303281]contains studio version of Midnight Rambler.

True! My memory didn't serve me that good (not any news, though..). I was also informed (by a big profile poster who has having a deserved time off from here) that TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE includes the medley of "Get Off of My Cloud/If You Cant'Rock Me" from LOVE YOU LIVE and ROLLED GOLD VOL 2 "Little Queenie" from YA-YA'S.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 15:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 22, 2019 20:10

Doxa
ironbelly
Doxa

True! My memory didn't serve me that good (not any news, though..). I was also informed (by a big profile poster who has having a deserved time off from here) that TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE includes the medley of "Get Off of My Cloud/If You Cant'Rock Me" from LOVE YOU LIVE and ROLLED GOLD VOL 2 "Little Queenie" from YA-YA'S.

- Doxa

Honestly, I consider myself well educated on RS music, and I cannot understand this conversation at all. It’s okay, I picked out
‘No Security’ (I do not like)
the word ‘rarities’ which made me think of the live
‘Waiting On A Friend’ sandwiched in between with vocals of Keith and Mick that made me cry *sniff
So in conclusion, I am guessing ‘Honk’ will have a ‘rarity’ stuck in the middle that’ll gut me good.. probably ‘Shine A Light’

We are going around in circles.

Edit for spelling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-22 20:19 by 35love.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2019 20:34

boogaloojef
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
GasLightStreet
Irix
Doxa

Anyway, I have always felt that many people buying Promotone era hit collections, and not familiar with their dualistic existence or with the band per se, and thinking 'yeah, now I get all the big Stones hits' are doomed to be feel a bit disappointed... 'hmm.. yeah yeah, "Brown Sugar", "Angie", "Start Me Up".. great great.. but haven't they also got some other great songs, such as that one which goes "I can't get no satisfaction" or "I see my red door and want it paint it black" or "hoooo-ooonky tonk women" or the one with that cool riff which says "gas gas gas"...'grinning smiley

Someone will give'em a hint that they'll find the other great songs on the Hot-Rocks-Compilation - and that they'll need both Albums to cover the period from 1964-2016 .... smiling smiley

That sums it up. HOT ROCKS and HONK at this point covers close to everything regarding worthy singles (for some reason Shattered and She's So Cold were left off in place of the lesser singles Rock And A Hard Place and Respectable) from 1964-2016.

Which is pretty good, really.

Here are some of the U.S. and U.K. charting singles which were omitted.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Shattered
She's So Cold
Hang Fire

Going To A Go-Go (live)
She Was Hot
One Hit (To The Body)
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Like A Rolling Stone (live)

Of those that you listed, I bolded the ones that would be most suitable for HONK - or any future comp.

I think it would make sense to have a compilation which contained all of the U.S. & U.K. charting singles from the time period. Not all of their charting singles were even included on the Super Deluxe Version of GRRR! My list doesn't even include singles which charted after they changed and added more charts in the U.S and U.K., stuff like Terrifying, I Go Wild, Biggest Mistake, Plundered My Soul and Oh No, Not You Again for example.

They should do a box set release of singles from... where do you start? Let's go with the current mindset - 1971-2016.

I haven't done the math to figure out how it would work out disc wise, regardless of format, but obviously for streaming ie iTunes etc it wouldn't be a problem.

Start with the UK edition of REWIND - it has She's So Cold and Respectable on it.

The US edition has Hang Fire, Emotional Rescue and Heartbreaker.

Combine those and there's a damn fine comp, as equally important in Stones culture as HOT ROCKS.

Track time wise to fit all of those, edit versions of MY, ER, BOB, UOTN, IORR and FTC would probably make it fit on one disc.

That doesn't include Wild Horses!

That would be disc one - the best of the best.

Go from there. Disc 2 would feature other tunes from 1971-1983 onward. Throw in a bit of HOT ROCKS mentality ala UMT, SFTD and Gimme Shelter, non-single tracks, and CYHMK and a few other LP gems could be included.

So say that's 4 discs.

Disc 5 could be remixes.

Have they done that? Not in a greatest hits mentality. Sure, there is THE SINGLES 1971-2006, which probably not many people bought, but that's in chronological order with B-sides (some past redundant), good and bad remixes and live tracks.

Too many comps? Sure. Historically. But some day something like I just described may come out officially. It's only up to the buyer to understand. I'm no completist but some may feel obligated, for their own sick reasons, to have EVERYTHING.

Whatever.

In 50 years when UMe is all that is left they'll still be the home of the Stones' entire catalog and they can release THE BEST OF 1968-1973 or whatever and people will buy it. If the Stones don't release this new album or albums, it'll be all they can do that's new as a record label that's home to the Stones.

We'll all be beyond caring or dead.

I burned this cdr a while back as an alternative to Rewind.

Singles 1971-1982

1. Brown Sugar
2. Wild Horses
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Happy
5. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
6. Angie
7. Ain't Too Proud To Beg
8. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)
9. Hot Stuff
10. Fool To Cry
11. Miss You
12. Respectable
13. Beast Of Burden
14. Shattered
15. Emotional Rescue
16. She's So Cold
17. Start Me Up
18. Hang Fire
19. Waiting On A Friend
20. Going To A Go-Go

HA!

I like that. I'd drop Respectable and Going To A Go-Go and add Dancing With Mr D and Neighbours.

I wanted it to include the U.S. and U.K. singles from the time period. The live version of Time Is On My Side from Still Life wouldn't fit. I basically combined the U.S. and U.K versions of Rewind, added the other charting singles from the period and dropped Undercover Of The Night (as She Was Hot would not also fit) and replaced it with Going To A Go-Go (always omitted from compilations) to shorten the time period.

I also don't like Neighbors much.

Weakest track on otherwise stellar Tattoo You. Even so, not bad.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 22, 2019 22:11

They should have added the Bob Clearmoutain mix of Before they Make Me Run

Date: March 22, 2019 23:01

ironbelly
Doxa
Maindefender

- Doxa

Sucking in the 70's had Mannish Boy. Six of the 10 songs on that album were edited.......woof

Date: March 23, 2019 00:30

I guess Honk Deluxe with Rolled Gold + would represent the most comprehensive Stones retrospective so far, excepting owning every single album and single.

Date: March 23, 2019 00:39

runrudolph
1963luca0
As per today I’ve ordered:
2LP - blue vinyl
3LP - black vinyl, hopefully Made in USA
4LP - 4 different colours
Am I missing still missing any vinyl pressing?
Thanks for your help, Luca

Looks like you have enough money luca.
jeroen

OK...I see at RollingStones.com they have the 4 colour vinyls, and the black triple vinyl. so where is the blue double vinyl sourced from?

EDIT...I also see a double black vinyl on Amazon.com...how many bloody vinyl versions are there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 00:41 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 23, 2019 01:15

Although it's not released yet, HONK is already #3 on 22-Mar-2019 in the jpc-Sales-Charts:

[www.jpc.de]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2019 01:29

Already number 3 ……. now there ya go ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 23, 2019 01:38

treaclefingers
I guess Honk Deluxe with Rolled Gold + would represent the most comprehensive Stones retrospective so far, excepting owning every single album and single.

The GRRR! Super Deluxe Edition is pretty comprehensive. It actually includes some of the singles from the time period that are not included on Honk but has no tracks from Blue And Lonesome.

Date: March 23, 2019 01:49

The greatest was when Grrrrrr deluxe went to $40.00 or close to that....on amazon

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 23, 2019 02:39

Maindefender
The greatest was when Grrrrrr deluxe went to $40.00 or close to that....on amazon

Yes, that was a GRRRREAT deal - same with Blue and Lonesome Deluxe for $10 on Amazon UK...bound to also happen with HONK! eventually.

Date: March 23, 2019 03:45

boogaloojef
treaclefingers

The GRRR! Super Deluxe Edition is pretty comprehensive. It actually includes some of the singles from the time period that are not included on Honk but has no tracks from Blue And Lonesome.

true...80 tracks if I remember, but I think you get more with the Honk Deluxe and Rolled Gold +. Rolled Gold + alone was 4 albums crammed full of hits.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 23, 2019 04:10

treaclefingers
boogaloojef
treaclefingers

true...80 tracks if I remember, but I think you get more with the Honk Deluxe and Rolled Gold +. Rolled Gold + alone was 4 albums crammed full of hits.

GRRR! Super Deluxe = 80 tracks

Rolled Gold + (40 tracks) and Honk 2 cd version (36 tracks) = 76 tracks with Brown Sugar and Wild Horses duplicated so 74 different tracks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 04:14 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 23, 2019 05:52

treaclefingers
runrudolph
1963luca0
2LP - blue vinyl

jeroen

OK...I see at RollingStones.com they have the 4 colour vinyls, and the black triple vinyl. so where is the blue double vinyl sourced from?

EDIT...I also see a double black vinyl on Amazon.com...how many bloody vinyl versions are there?
2LP Black Vinyl, US
2LP Blue Vinyl (Target Exclusive), US / Mexico / Canada
2LP Red Vinyl (No Filter 2019 Concerts Only), US & ?Canada?
3LP Black Vinyl, EU
4LP Colored Vinyl Slipcase Box, EU / US

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 23, 2019 07:43

Maindefender
A studio and live version of Dancing with Mr. D? Plus the live albums are always ignored for these type of releases. (IORR from Love You Live)

yeh; it's a sure glimz mini-industry.
take the weakest song on the album and give it a million mix down and live versions. then when a Good one gets done, it's the next exiles even if it's Let's Work.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: March 23, 2019 09:47

boogaloojef
treaclefingers
boogaloojef
treaclefingers

GRRR! Super Deluxe = 80 tracks

Rolled Gold + (40 tracks) and Honk 2 cd version (36 tracks) = 76 tracks with Brown Sugar and Wild Horses duplicated so 74 different tracks.

I made my own compilation from GRRR! super deluxe box and the song from honk that are not on GRRR!. Covering 1964-2016 on 5 cd's.

Date: March 23, 2019 15:08

ironbelly
treaclefingers
runrudolph
1963luca0
2LP - blue vinyl

jeroen

2LP Black Vinyl, US
3LP Black Vinyl, EU

Wow, thanks ironbelly...they make it pretty financially painful to be a completist. I've got the bottom two and now have to decide whether I want to bother hunting for the other 3 versions. Don't think Target exists anymore in Canada!

Date: March 23, 2019 17:05

dennycranium

I wouldn't be surprised if Honk! Outsells the new album.

In the long run that might happen. Usually these compilations aren't that big chart toppers, but they are steady sellers. I was surprised that according to WIKI, JUMP BACK has sold almost seven million copies (while peaking #16 in UK and #30 in US charts). If true that's more than any of their other albums released since TATTOO YOU except FORTY LICKS, another compilation with its 7.5 million sales. Basically JUMP BACK is now replaced by HONK. For the record company - and for the artists themselves - it is good to have these compilations available. Like georgelicks have pointed out several times that everytime the Stones do something significiant - mostly a tour, that is - that is always is to be reflected in album sales, and the greatest hits compilations are those which gain most. Of course, having a brandnew compilation and all the hype surrounding it - especially when it co-incides with a new tour or anniversary etc. - that always gets an extra push in sales.

Anyway, the trend seems to be these days that the compilations have a shorter lifespan than previously; for example, FORTY LICKS was taken out of print in order to give room for GRRR... and that like JUMP BACK now for HONK. I guess the point is to maximise the extra pushes in sales, which always new and advertised products do. I wouldn't be surprised that when they reach 60 years in 2022, there might be a new whole-career compilation, a joint enterprise with ABKCO for Xmas sales.

Due to legal circumstances ABKCO has a different situation for greatest hist collections. They are left with the compilations they managed to release before early 80's (was it 1983 exactly?), when the Stones acquired a veto right for all of their new releases (since then we haven't seen those mostly horrible Decca era compilations that started with STONE AGE). That's why they are left with HOT ROCKS, which, of course, is a good and a steady seller. But I am sure had it been up to ABKCO, we would have seen an updated version(s) of it to get that extra push in sales. The Stones seemingly don't want that joy to Klein clan, even though they themselves might lose a few bucks (a similar case as is with these 50th Anniversary editions of BEGGARS BANQUET, etc,). And for that reason I am sure ABKCO is more than willing partner for joint-relaeses with Promotone material. FORTY LICKS and GRRR... have been big extra paydays for them.

Anyway, as we all know record industry is a dying business, so let's see how the concept of greatest hits album survives in future. Watching the charts today they seem to do relatively speaking better than ever.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-23 18:22 by Doxa.

Date: March 23, 2019 17:37

35love

Honestly, I consider myself well educated on RS music, and I cannot understand this conversation at all.

Don't worry! Just meaningless talk about why live versions very rarely make greatest hits compilations.

- Doxa

Date: March 23, 2019 20:00

treaclefingers
ironbelly
treaclefingers
runrudolph
1963luca0
2LP - blue vinyl

jeroen

2LP Black Vinyl, US
3LP Black Vinyl, EU

Wow, thanks ironbelly...they make it pretty financially painful to be a completist. I've got the bottom two and now have to decide whether I want to bother hunting for the other 3 versions. Don't think Target exists anymore in Canada!

OK...so saw the blue vinyl version at Target online...$33 for shipping, so screw that. I'll try and pick up when I'm in Seattle for the show.

Where in the world do you get the red vinyl, if anyone knows? thx.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 23, 2019 20:08

treaclefingers
OK...so saw the blue vinyl version at Target online...$33 for shipping, so screw that. I'll try and pick up when I'm in Seattle for the show.

Where in the world do you get the red vinyl, if anyone knows? thx.

Red vinyl available only at the shows is my understanding...
Also, on the way down to the Seattle show, Target is a pretty easy stop just off I-5 in Bellingham (Bellis Fair Mall) cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home