Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15
Re: New dvd release: Bridges To Bremen
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 12, 2019 20:56

eduardoacdc
Great release IMO. I just hope it isn't mixed by the same person who worked on San José, Miami, and Tokyo.
Amen to that. If there was not any A&R person who noticed who bad VL Uncut sound, I can't take those folks at Universal seriously anymore

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 21:05

windmelody
Bremen was a good concert - Ron Wood had serious problems, that is obvious, but the show rolled.

que le paso a Ronnie?? What Happend?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 12, 2019 21:38

Bridges to Bremen was on cable-tv. Used to have it on VHS but I threw away all my old VHS-tapes a while ago. Nothing special about it, it's just one of those 97/98 gigs.
But sound and vision was way better than that Miami ppv. Way better. So they can't go wrong with this one. And the setlist was in fact better in 1998 than it is now.
Less warhorses. The full concert used to be on Youtube but it looks like Eagle Rock has blocked it now. But here is a teaser (Anybody seen my baby):

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 21:41 by Stoneage.

Date: March 12, 2019 21:50

Another note: 1998 was probably the year when Jagger's voice problems started for real. It changed for the worse I'm afraid.
Kind of broke up and went down an octave or two. And his speaking voice went nasal. Sorry for mentioning this...

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 12, 2019 21:56

Irix
falo01

I´m curious about the video quality, hopefully we get HD this time.

Probably no HD - it's unlikely that they already used HD-Cameras in September 1998 ....

There're many Bootlegs of Bremen 1998 (Pro-Shot TV-Broadcast): [iorr.org] .

They didnt broadcast HD back then but maybe they filmed it in HD.
It was produced by germans SAT1, I have no idea how they recorded back then.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:03

Stoneage
Bridges to Bremen was on cable-tv. Used to have it on VHS but I threw away all my old VHS-tapes a while ago. Nothing special about it, it's just one of those 97/98 gigs.
But sound and vision was way better than that Miami ppv. Way better. So they can't go wrong with this one. And the setlist was in fact better in 1998 than it is now.
Less warhorses. The full concert used to be on Youtube but it looks like Eagle Rock has blocked it now. But here is a teaser (Anybody seen my baby):

[www.youtube.com]

Ah gosh, a teaser indeed. I have started to like "Anybody Seen My Love" more and more along the years, the original is a catchy radio-friendly song, but this 'version' is simply horrible... the band doesn't have any feel for the song, not even Mick sounds too interested, it feels like any moment the song would just die off, but it somehow succeeds in dragging all the way to the end. But shit, I almost had forgotten how hot Lisa was at the time....winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:13

Horrible version indeed.
Like the studio take itself.jeroen

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:18

Remember seeing and recording this - live - from Tele+, what used to be our only pay tv network in the days.

Have not seen it in ages: recording is on a video tape that I still have, but all my players died in peace sometime in the last century.

Baby was definitely a low of the show, but what was truly impossible to digest was the continuous stupid comments of the guests in the studio (I understand the need to sabotage bootlegs, but they could at least have invited some competent ones ...)

C

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:24

Awful song. Unredeemable. Sorry.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:45

“And song wise, Memory motel WITHOUT Dave Matthews seems to be one of the few highlights of this show.”

I will pay for THAT ^
Sha la la la, Sha la la la la

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:46

Doxa
Stoneage

[www.youtube.com]

Ah gosh, a teaser indeed. I have started to like "Anybody Seen My Love" more and more along the years, the original is a catchy radio-friendly song, but this 'version' is simply horrible... the band doesn't have any feel for the song, not even Mick sounds too interested, it feels like any moment the song would just die off, but it somehow succeeds in dragging all the way to the end. But shit, I almost had forgotten how hot Lisa was at the time....winking smiley

- Doxa

Yeah, absolutely. Whenever one needs to explain what "dragging" in music means,
this version should serve as a perfect example. The band (everyone!) has absolutely no faith in this song, and it shows.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 12, 2019 22:54

35love
“And song wise, Memory motel WITHOUT Dave Matthews seems to be one of the few highlights of this show.”

I will pay for THAT ^

Hoping for a good mix so I can finally re-compile the No Security live album for my personal taste... Now what's still missing is a perfect quality Little Queenie from 1997/98...

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 12, 2019 23:31

What a great news!!!!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2019 23:35

falo01

They didnt broadcast HD back then but maybe they filmed it in HD.
It was produced by germans SAT1, I have no idea how they recorded back then.

Me too, but Digital Betacam was launched in 1993 and was still SD (720x576). And HDCAM (1440×1080) was first introduced in 1997 - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: March 12, 2019 23:45

retired_dog
35love

I will pay for THAT ^

Hoping for a good mix so I can finally re-compile the No Security live album for my personal taste... Now what's still missing is a perfect quality Little Queenie from 1997/98...
Paris July 25 1998 your best bet

Date: March 13, 2019 00:14

Doxa
Stoneage

[www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Yep, it drags. But on the other hand I have never been a fan of that song anyway. It was a K D Lang rip off, no doubt about it. There is some good Jagger harmonica playing on it though.
I think this song is an indicator to the rest of the concert: An average 1998 gig. Nothing less, nothing more. And as I said earlier, Jagger's voice was a problem by now...

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: March 13, 2019 15:27

retired_dog
35love

I will pay for THAT ^

It may not be “perfect quality “ but the little queenie from Fort Worth 97 absolutely smokes...it’s vintage Keith and the recording was originally incorrectly labeled as an sbd....best aud recording of 97

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 13, 2019 18:29

Been there.
Bremen was a good night.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: March 13, 2019 18:44

One of the better versions of Saint of Me with a great sing a long at the end:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 13, 2019 19:08

I'm definitely curious to see what happens with this Bremen release, with it's apparent inclusion of Chicago '97 stuff as a bonus (?), which seems odd as I would think such a bonus would be packaged with the upcoming St. Louis '97 release, but such as it is, still very interesting.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 14, 2019 11:29

I really wonder what happened with Paris 1976 that was due to be released last year....

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 14, 2019 12:41

Mathijs
I really wonder what happened with Paris 1976 that was due to be released last year....

Mathijs
A super smoking hot show that really showcases Ronnie Wood !

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 14, 2019 13:15

I used to have a crisp recording on VHS of this show, a canal+ feed, much better picture and sound the rather bad dvd's that we all know.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 14, 2019 14:21

Rik
I used to have a crisp recording on VHS of this show, a canal+ feed, much better picture and sound the rather bad dvd's that we all know.

The show was broadcasted on Swedish radio and I recorded directly to a CD. Excellent sound.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 14, 2019 15:12

gastonl74
windmelody
Bremen was a good concert - Ron Wood had serious problems, that is obvious, but the show rolled.

que le paso a Ronnie?? What Happend?

RW was completely loaded in Bremen, his playing was, politely spoken, not too solid. He was shaking at times and grimacing. Yet I have fond memories of that time as a Stonesfan.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: March 14, 2019 19:54

Svartmer
Rik

The show was broadcasted on Swedish radio and I recorded directly to a CD. Excellent sound.

Let's see what remastering lefts ...

Date: March 14, 2019 20:26

Free from memory: Sound and vision: Good, way better than the Miami ppv. Lisa is still hot... But it's an average gig. Maybe even below average.
The video above [ASMB] is an example of that. Svartmer: Which radio channel was the gig on?

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: March 14, 2019 20:42

From the complete Bremen bootleg dvd, Saint of Me:
[youtu.be]
Best available bootleg dvd

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 14, 2019 21:30

Stoneage
Free from memory: Sound and vision: Good, way better than the Miami ppv. Lisa is still hot... But it's an average gig. Maybe even below average.
The video above [ASMB] is an example of that. Svartmer: Which radio channel was the gig on?

It was on P3 live, they broadcasted a lot of great concerts back in the day. (see link).

[sv.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 14, 2019 21:44

Some of you may have a different opinion - and that's fine - but I have watched to broadcast of Bremen many times and I always thought it was one of their best post-'89 concerts on video. Yes, they did not play too concentrated or tight. This was in the middle of a big world tour at a point where they were playing really lose and well oiled this is what is makes really special for me. Some journalist said the Stones are good when they want to prove something but they are amazing when they feel they don't have to prove anything. And they played this way on that show. Also, since this was not recorded for a dvd release the band was not distracted by the, compared to other filmed concerts where you feel there were playing for the cameras. Ronnie was not in the best shape on that tour, but I think in Bremen he was much, much better than in San Jose '99. Keith was on fire on both shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 21:46 by StonedRambler.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home