Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Best Time to Part With Your Stones Collection
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 8, 2019 17:52

Have you ever thought about when and how to part with your Stones collection? Do you take it with you to your grave, do you give it away, or sell it off? One thing for sure, if you don't have a plan, your next of kin will. You could pass it down to your spouse, kids, or relatives, or you could sell it.

If you do decide to part with it, even if it's just music (CD's, Vinyl, Cassettes, etc...) when is the right time? Is it while they're still rockin, or when they retire as a band, or when a current band member passes away? So if you're hedging, when is the value the highest.

Everyone wants to keep something of value, but is there a time to move on and put the collection out in public (E-Bay) maybe for someone else younger to enjoy, or to allow another collector to fill out a collection. So do you start cashing out gradually, all at once, never, or pass it along to someone else who will and eventually collect on your investment.

Have you thought about it, do you have a plan, or will let someone else decide for you?

Re: The Best Time to Part With Your Stones Collection
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 8, 2019 17:56

I'm lucky . My son is just as keen as I am ...so no worries about my stuff not being appreciated and looked after when I'm gone .

Date: March 8, 2019 18:04

Spud
I'm lucky . My son is just as keen as I am ...so no worries about my stuff not being appreciated and looked after when I'm gone .

This may sound nit picky, but have you made a written inventory of your stuff, what you paid, when and how acquired, and what you believe its value is today. Also, identify the rare pieces. We, as the collector may know its worth but you can be pretty sure those close to you probably do not. The stories of how you acquired it count, sometimes more than the monetary value.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 8, 2019 23:58

Not yet decided but I do think of it so now and then.................although I think of getting rid of non Stones related records..... and maybe a lot of their solo records.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 9, 2019 00:19

Like NICOS said, I've thought about getting rid of non Stones related CDs, and actually now have done so. Out of my 1,100 or so CDs I've gotten rid of a few hundred...but Stones stuff still mostly intact, though I've gotten rid of some of the lousy quality boots and also "Goddess in the Doorway" and "Superheavy". I imagine my Stones collection (music, collectibles, etc.) will go to my son.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 00:22 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2019 08:09

While ya in a coma …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 9, 2019 20:41

The Sicilian
Have you ever thought about when and how to part with your Stones collection?

I was just thinking about this the other day.

If, like some of us, you have a large collection of Stones recordings/memorabilia, if you never listen to it or rifle through it, I suppose it has no value whatsoever beyond the money you could get for it from another collector.

Drew

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 9, 2019 20:43

Now or never I guess. The same goes for your will. The risk is that it will end up in a scrapyard. On the other hand there is little value in most pieces.
Maybe 5 dollar a piece (if your're lucky). And selling isn't easy. Selling piece by piece takes a lot of work.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 9, 2019 21:44

Ive decided to give it to my nephew (son of my brother)after my death. He is 32 years old and a Stones fan. Bought a Stones ticket for him in 2002, because it was my duty to teach him something.

he does not know, he will get all my Stones stuff
Im sure he will appreciate it
jeroen

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 9, 2019 22:19

runrudolph
Ive decided to give it to my nephew (son of my brother)after my death. He is 32 years old and a Stones fan. Bought a Stones ticket for him in 2002, because it was my duty to teach him something.

he does not know, he will get all my Stones stuff
Im sure he will appreciate it
jeroen

Same here to my nephew, took him to Amsterdam from the UK, I think it took him a few months to realize how much it cost me and keeps on buying me drinks now. smileys with beer

Well worth it.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 10, 2019 00:10

Ah, a subject I've talked about for some time now. Some peoples trash is another's treasure comes to mind. Sorry but I suppose this is how it probably ends. Doesn't mean we should not enjoy it while we can. Maybe we can pass our beloved music onto someone else that can appreciate it? Reminds me of the final scene in a great movie by Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino". Some kid really digs it. I hope so.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 10, 2019 06:02

Great question.

Akin to the not very big estate (after you head into the wild blue yonder) question. What do you do with everything? And hopefully have figured it out beforehand.

Example, do you spend $5K a year on luxuries like a vacation, or $2.5K? Depends upon how long that you have left, and you don’t know (unless already pre-determined).

The idea of valuing now is a good one. Esp. vinyl. Does anyone look at Discogs for this? I find that this is the best site to do so.

Books also. Difficult to value.

Cousin Minnie’s chesterfield will be worth $0!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 10, 2019 06:10

after the devil rips them from my bloody fingers
go ahead and try you punkass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 06:10 by hopkins.

Date: March 10, 2019 08:38

Good one Hopkins, haha.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 10, 2019 15:18

"Dad...When are you going to sell all this stuff?"

"I'm not. You are."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 10, 2019 16:16

By reading these posts, I'm imagining as we all head into the great blue yonder in a few decades to come, Stones records are going to crash in price as all this wonderful stuff hits the market at more or less the same time,(depending on our ages).

I've kept an inventory, and still continue to collect, but do think from time to time, to what end?

I think at some point I will start to divest on a lot of the stuff I have quadruples and quintuples of (I mean seriously, what's the point) and maybe get down to just vinyl,a sealed and a pristeen used "play" copy.

I made a serious effort to get all the 45s a few years ago, including promo copies (which admittedly is not complete yet, and test pressings) so those I'll also keep.

I went a little crazy buying duplicates and triplicates of some of the boxed sets from 2010 on, most of which have gone up quite a bit. I haven't opened any, (except one of the Some Girls superdeluxe - had to see the Beast pic sleeve and one of the 64-69...gorgeous sound).

I've never sold anything on ebay before...as has been opined, it looks like a lot of work selling piece by piece. Maybe an activity to consider leaving for retirement?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 10, 2019 17:17

I'm thinking about this for some years already.

I have tons of stuff.Most of it not that valuable. Like the hundreds of expensive boots (VGP,etc.) all lost in value by now. Then ca. 150 books and hundreds of international magazins with Stones titles and/or content from all those years and all those many Fan-mags like the nice Stones People Europe, SF Journal, Basement News, etc
Plus photos and lots of other things going back to fanclub days, etc. etc.

As I said, much of all that stuff isn't really that precious.But after collecting over all these years it's hard to part with things, although I could need the room and I are not really healthy.

Till now I couldn't bring myself to just throw it away.
I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 10, 2019 19:21

This is actually a sad post....that we are all coming to an end

Date: March 10, 2019 19:40

Yep, years ago I wouldn't dream of such a thing. Parting with my beloved treasures, well valuable to me that is. It's wild to think that probably most people wouldn't bat an eye to toss it all in the trash, no use for it. Anyhow, I've no regrets collecting it as it's brought a lot of joy into my life as the music itself. Still, I'm going to continue on as long as I can.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 10, 2019 20:14

When their couple of generations of fans die the stuff will be worthless,

Date: March 10, 2019 20:54

treaclefingers

I've kept an inventory, and still continue to collect, but do think from time to time, to what end?

It doesn't matter WHY you connect with something, what matters is that you DO...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 10, 2019 21:43

There are only a few items that are really valuable. Professional collectors know which. Most of it has a limited value. And selling isn't that easy.
Maybe selling the valuable items (if you have any) and pass on the rest of the collection to someone you trust is the best advice?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 11, 2019 00:36

More Hot Rocks
This is actually a sad post....that we are all coming to an end

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: March 11, 2019 01:44

A morbid topic but one I get asked about a lot... for me I collect because it's my passion and I don't have a particular interest in the long term "investment" value. However the harsh reality is that most "collectibles" that are sold / bought / collected have a very modest long term value. The quantity of most things made for a band like the Stones is large and overtime less and less people with collect this kind of stuff. If you look at an artist like Elvis, records of his that may have fetched $50 literally get $5 now, there is just so much supply and much weaker demand. Having said that a stage worn cape or one of his guitars, stuff of museum quality has maintained or grown in value.

In my experience most collectors have a vastly inflated view of the value of their collections. They add up everything they spent, put on a good measure of appreciation and then often another measure for the time it has taken! Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, it is a labour of love. eBay has changed the market for collectibles massively. When I first started collecting I used to wait at the doors of the newsagents on the day Record Collector came out and would be ready with stamped envelops to write to people listing stuff I wanted to buy before I had even got home with the magazine. Now with eBay most stuff that was considered rare is now relatively available however on the other end of the scale some stuff has been proved to be genuinely impossible to find and now fetches very high prices.

The problem with selling a collection is the that hobby is collecting. There are very few people that want to buy a "collection" ready made. An exception to this would be were the collection in question is a proportionally small to the acquiring party. Having over 100,000 items this can often apply to me. Dealers would also be interested but bear in mind the massive labour cost of photographing and listing items only to be asked loads of questions and have a small proportion of stuff actually sell. The more valuable your average item then the higher proportion of the market value you will achieve. A question I often ask people when they approach me to sell their collection is what is your best 10 items. Some are insulted by this saying "but I have 1,000's of items not just 10", but it's a much quicker way to assess a collection than for the seller to spend weeks itemising it. If you have some 60's gig posters and a UK promotional albium I am all ears, however if your top ten includes Sticky Fingers with "a real working zipper" I am much less likely to jump on a plane to come see it!

Personally I want to continue collecting, it is what I do. I have recently purchased a commercial premises in Central London and I intend to open my collection for more people to enjoy. I am 43 so hopefully have lots of time left to share my passion with the world.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 11, 2019 02:08

I’m hoping the grandkids will show sincere interest.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 02:09 by Maindefender.

Date: March 11, 2019 11:32

Perfectly said mattleeuk. My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 11, 2019 14:22

when BV says so.

Date: March 11, 2019 17:55

There is a very good chance that your wife will probably clean out your stuff in short time should she out live you. I say that with the assumption that men are vast majority of collectors. Your best stuff will pilfered by the kids to sell on E-Bay with a few keepers and the rest will be outside on a table in the summer yard sale. Don't be surprised if your spouse wasn't really as big a fan as you thought. Quite often the shared joy was just out of respect to the relationship.

The reality of the situation is that there is a minimalist movement to empty the home or apartment of what seems like everything not used. People keep a few mementos and that's it. How many personal items from your parents and grandparents do you have besides furniture? Probably not closets full. Unless you're a picker!

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: March 11, 2019 18:07

I've told my wife a handful of names to contact should anything happen to me. The cool thing about collecting clothes is they also have the fashion element to them, so they generally appeal to more folks than just Stones collectors. As a bonus, I gotta keep my figure to fit into all the 70s t-shirts!

Date: March 11, 2019 20:00

If for nothing else, we are the caretakers of cultural artifacts...custodians of history. I like to think of it that way too...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home