Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Make a musical observation for today
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2019 06:08

His Majesty
The Sicilian
If rap/hip-hop didn't kill rock, it certainly hurt it.

Rock hurt itself by becoming so effing boring and predictable.

Only by those that don't open their ears.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2019 06:12

After seeing a very fine looking woman walking around where I work, I tend to find myself singing:

I got the lumps in my throat
When I saw her coming down the aisle
I gets the wiggles in my knees
When she looked at me and sweetly smiled

By the Stones, of course, not Chuck. I first heard it from the Stones, I later heard it from Chuck, the Stones did it best.

It sticks in my head.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2019 15:08

duke richardson
I never listened to Big Star until last year. Better late than never. Interesting band, or ‘collection of players’ I should say. Great songs.

Yes! Some great stuff there - Out In The Streets, September Gurls, 13, etc.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 6, 2019 15:17

No question, they are excellent. They have a show on the Tele here inn the States and its filled with top notch entertainment.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 6, 2019 18:46

Although an exciting performer, a virtuosic lead player,a steady/melodic bassist and a concerned rhythm player are important, they all are "standing" on The Structure of R&R which is the back-beat; thanks Charlie!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 6, 2019 18:51

GasLightStreet
After seeing a very fine looking woman walking around where I work, I tend to find myself singing:

I got the lumps in my throat
When I saw her coming down the aisle
I gets the wiggles in my knees
When she looked at me and sweetly smiled

By the Stones, of course, not Chuck. I first heard it from the Stones, I later heard it from Chuck, the Stones did it best.

It sticks in my head.

Well that was really sweet.
I just made the musical observation after my personal video JJF open Paris2 2017:
Mick can shake his thang.
Yep.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 6, 2019 19:18

universe means one song.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 6, 2019 19:35

Paddy
NICOS
My observation is to avoid the radio ...man what a load of shit is playing these day's ........dozens of stations and not one decent song.......... just try to rediscover some oldies like Fleetwood Mac with the great guitar players Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan

Enjoy while you can .................................

[www.youtube.com]

This is my Friday night viewing sorted! Thanks Nicos

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 6, 2019 20:57

noosha fox and mariska veres from shocking blue had more sex appeal than all of todays female singers combined.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 7, 2019 19:17

I did not know Toy Caldwell of MTB was wounded in Vietnam took a bullet and later returned to active duty(RIP) - I was fooling around with Can,t You See on guitar and never realized how much finger picking style and thumb he played with - Nice vocals to and he was not the main singer in the band.

Date: April 7, 2019 19:52

I pulled out Goo Goo Dolls Dizzy Up The Girl - what a great record have not listened in long time. Reznick great songwriter and uses alternative tunings especially when he plays acoustic -

Black Balloon is such a relevant song today, not only a masterpiece but so topical today we are losing 300 young people a month to heroin.

Date: April 7, 2019 20:19

OpenG
I did not know Toy Caldwell of MTB was wounded in Vietnam took a bullet and later returned to active duty(RIP) - I was fooling around with Can,t You See on guitar and never realized how much finger picking style and thumb he played with - Nice vocals to and he was not the main singer in the band.[/quote

Yes, truly the talent in that band.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 8, 2019 01:22

The best bands I have seen in a long time are behind Lucinda Williams, and Robert Plant. Forget about the phenomenal front person in both acts for a moment - but those two bands have consistently been made up or topnotch , seasoned players who know what is what. They know their history, they know less-is-more.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 8, 2019 01:33

Palace Revolution 2000
The best bands I have seen in a long time are behind Lucinda Williams, and Robert Plant. Forget about the phenomenal front person in both acts for a moment - but those two bands have consistently been made up or topnotch , seasoned players who know what is what. They know their history, they know less-is-more.

Agree.
David, Stuart, and Butch Norton rock smileys with beer
Plant's band also blew me away.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 8, 2019 02:08

NICOS
My observation is to avoid the radio ...man what a load of shit is playing these day's ........dozens of stations and not one decent song.......... just try to rediscover some oldies like Fleetwood Mac with the great guitar players Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan

[www.youtube.com]

I was gonna suggest Peter and Danny for today but you beat me to it Nicos.
Spot on.
I know a lot of people here like their guitar double acts (!) but seriously, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were and remain exceptional. I can recommend pretty much anything by Peter and Danny from August 1968 to when Peter left and Danny continued writing and playing superbly until his personal problems got the best of him and he was dismissed from the Mac.
If anyone needs a one stop shop to demonstrate the powers of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac may I recommend the 3 volume Boston Tea Party set.
I will get my head kicked in tonight by many here but I think it could possibly be the best live rock album of it's time and there's some pretty steep competition for that title. The live versions of Rattlesnake Shake, Jumping At Shadows, Stranger Blues, Oh Well, Green Manalishi, World In Harmony, If You Let Me Love You are outstanding along with several other performances from the 3 nights. And yet, they are almost forgotten as a band.
Every bit as good as The Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc...

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 8, 2019 17:04

Tyler Childers wit Town Mountain...great combination of artists. Really nice song1

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: April 8, 2019 17:21

I love Southern Gospel music from the 50's-70's

Date: April 8, 2019 18:11

I love the chord progression E,B,C#M To A

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 8, 2019 22:27

The Eagles Reunion 1 Tour DVD from Melbourne (recorded in late '04, released in '05) is really, really good. I have never been a big Eagles fan (to this day I hear enough for my taste on the radio), but this performance is hypnotic. Great songs, vocals and guitar-work. Who the heck is Steuart Smith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-08 22:29 by pmk251.

Date: April 8, 2019 22:33

OpenG

Is that Beast of Burden?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 8, 2019 23:15

osted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2019 22:33

OpenG

Is that Beast of Burden?

Yes for the average guitar guy - but Keith has is Keithism's and that makes it all
the better. For instance he plays the B shape and hammers on to the 7thfret with index finger on 4th,3rd,2nd strings on intro.

Many other songs that use that chord pattern - Under My Bridge for the verses the intro is another story and hard to play that John Frusciante

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2019 04:11

Ever get a song stuck in your head but you can't remember the title or who it's by.
Maybe even just a lyric or two, or a bit of a melody or chorus....drives me absolutely nuts and I can't function properly until I figure it out.
Usually I can solve the mystery within minutes, or maybe an an hour or so, and sometimes a day at most, but occasionally it can take much longer.
One time it took me apprx. two years (!) until I rediscovered a particular song that was twirling in my head...tried forgetting about it, but it kept haunting me haha...would even creep in my thoughts in the middle of the night!
Finally heard the damn song on a Sun Records comp. buried deep in my cd collection that I hadn't listened to for apprx. two years, and it felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders - the torture was over!
Sort of an obscurity of a tune, but it must have made an impact on me when I first heard it, and I promised myself I'd never forget this damn song again...even thought about getting the title tattooed on my arm! winking smiley

Ernie Chaffin - Laughin' and Jokin'

Date: April 9, 2019 19:24

Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms - his voice is still amazing in 2019. Love that Tempe Arizona Indie sound and guitars chiming in your head

Date: April 9, 2019 19:46

Make a musical observation for today
Date: April 9, 2019 04:11

Ever get a song stuck in your head but you can't remember the title or who it's by.
Maybe even just a lyric or two, or a bit of a melody or chorus....drives me absolutely nuts and I can't function properly until I figure it out.
Usually I can solve the mystery within minutes, or maybe an an hour or so, and sometimes a day at most, but occasionally it can take much longer.
One time it took me apprx. two years (!) until I rediscovered a particular song that was twirling in my head...tried forgetting about it, but it kept haunting me haha...would even creep in my thoughts in the middle of the night!
Finally heard the damn song on a Sun Records comp. buried deep in my cd collection that I hadn't listened to for apprx. two years, and it felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders - the torture was over!
Sort of an obscurity of a tune, but it must have made an impact on me when I first heard it, and I promised myself I'd never forget this damn song again...even thought about getting the title tattooed on my arm!

Ernie Chaffin - Laughin' and Jokin'

Cool Hairball,

I always have some tune in my head every day - it helps with my music time. I look at each day with job, family time and music time. Music cures the boredome
of a dull day and for me my drug of choice.

Date: April 9, 2019 19:52

The Gin Blossoms were a great band - sad story regarding their original guitar player Doug Hopkins.

Via wiki:

"Gin Blossoms named their second album New Miserable Experience. In February 1992, while still working to complete it, founding member and lead guitarist/songwriter Hopkins drank heavily and grew increasingly depressed. With the other members hesitant to fire Hopkins, A&M forcefully removed him from the band and withheld $15,000 owed to Hopkins until he agreed to sign over half of his publishing royalties and relinquish his mechanical royalties. Hopkins reluctantly agreed to these demands because of his dire financial situation.Scott Johnson was chosen by the band in December 1992 as Hopkins' stand-in on tour, and became a permanent member in 1994.[citation needed]

New Miserable Experience became the band's breakthrough album.[11] The first single released from the album was "Hey Jealousy", which had been written by Hopkins. The song reached No. 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 4 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks and later went gold,[12] largely fueling the success of New Miserable Experience. However, the achievement was overshadowed by Hopkins' suicide on December 4, 1993.[13] The following year, another song by Hopkins, "Found Out About You", also reached No. 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 and climbed to No. 1 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks. New Miserable Experience eventually reached quadruple platinum status

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 19:52 by Hairball.

Date: April 9, 2019 20:24

^ Sad story for sure, but a great album. I particularly like "Allison Road".

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 9, 2019 20:31

Hairball

Finally heard the damn song on a Sun Records comp. buried deep in my cd collection

Lot of gold buried deep in those Sun Records sets.

Here's my favorite:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 9, 2019 22:23

Elmo Lewis
OpenG
I did not know Toy Caldwell of MTB was wounded in Vietnam took a bullet and later returned to active duty(RIP) - I was fooling around with Can,t You See on guitar and never realized how much finger picking style and thumb he played with - Nice vocals to and he was not the main singer in the band.[/quote

Yes, truly the talent in that band.

I'm gonna do a little chicken pickin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-09 22:23 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 9, 2019 22:41

Bob Dylan and Paul Simon sound good together.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 9, 2019 23:26

ash
NICOS

[www.youtube.com]

I was gonna suggest Peter and Danny for today but you beat me to it Nicos.
Spot on.
I know a lot of people here like their guitar double acts (!) but seriously, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan were and remain exceptional. I can recommend pretty much anything by Peter and Danny from August 1968 to when Peter left and Danny continued writing and playing superbly until his personal problems got the best of him and he was dismissed from the Mac.
If anyone needs a one stop shop to demonstrate the powers of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac may I recommend the 3 volume Boston Tea Party set.
I will get my head kicked in tonight by many here but I think it could possibly be the best live rock album of it's time and there's some pretty steep competition for that title. The live versions of Rattlesnake Shake, Jumping At Shadows, Stranger Blues, Oh Well, Green Manalishi, World In Harmony, If You Let Me Love You are outstanding along with several other performances from the 3 nights. And yet, they are almost forgotten as a band.
Every bit as good as The Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc...

Great sum up Ash...........if you play Get Yer Ya Ya's and you think shit it's finished play the Boston Tea Party thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home