Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Make a musical observation for today
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 11, 2019 12:39

Taylor's sólo in marriage madness on the back to the roots álbum (John mayal) Is a beautiful piece of music and soul

Date: March 11, 2019 13:40

padre69
Jerry Lee Lewis’ Live at The Star Club is the greatest live album ever.

It's an ongoing debate but I could add

Four Tops at the Roostertail

Johnny Rivers Live at the Whiskey a-Go-Go

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 11, 2019 14:19

Dylan's godspel/soul period is highly underrated. TRouble no more maybe my favourite album of his long career

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 11, 2019 14:42

MonkeyMan2000
Interesting thoughts, hopkins. I actually belong to that generation that is being spoon-fed that cynical gangster schtick. But I would say most young people get it - it's an artificial image thing like Keith's rockstar attitude. It's just too obvious. The bigger problem with the music industry that the young people are in touch with is this influencer thing. Many of the big stars get young people to buy all the stuff they want them to and get paid by companies for doing that. And of course the young generation is the perfect target for that, always wanting to be "in trend" on social media. But this of course is not limited to one genre...

P.S. no gangster stuff in the link I posted ;-)

thanks a lot for this perspective and post. thumbs up

Date: March 11, 2019 15:22

I would say re. Stones world, that probably one of the hottest videos to ever come out of here is "I wanna get me a gun" by Bill. Hot mamas.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 11, 2019 17:11

Great time to run and listen to Brussels Affair - 10 mile run start at Embarcadro at Fiery pier and run along San Francisco Bay to marina district and to Crissy Field and run along the sand you see Alcatraz if not foggy and then to Golden Gate Bridge and run across to Sausalito and turn around and go back and end on Embarcardo at Peet's Coffee at the pier and sit outside overlooking SF bay. That for me is the best place in the world for a great run with the stones in your ears.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 11, 2019 17:17

OpenG
Great time to run and listen to Brussels Affair - 10 mile run start at Embarcadro at Fiery pier and run along San Francisco Bay to marina district and to Crissy Field and run along the sand you see Alcatraz if not foggy and then to Golden Gate Bridge and run across to Sausalito and turn around and go back and end on Embarcardo at Peet's Coffee at the pier and sit outside overlooking SF bay. That for me is the best place in the world for a great run with the stones in your ears.

Sounds great, Open!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 11, 2019 17:38

Which aging rocker from the 90's will be on PBS in the next decade selling Time Life retro music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Dave Grohl?

Date: March 11, 2019 18:12

: Make a musical observation for today
Date: March 11, 2019 17:17

OpenG

Sounds great, Open!

"No Anchovies, Please"

I forgot to mention the above run is basically the first 10 miles or so of the San Francisco Marathon( I ran in 2017) when you get to Sausalito you turn around and run back when you get done with Golden Gate Bridge instead of going back to Embarcardo along the piers you run through Presido and to Golden Gate Park through Haight Asbury and run in those districts before heading back to SF AT&T ball park back to Embarcadro to finish line.

Date: April 5, 2019 15:46

When Elmo started this thread I was hoping it would stay Page 1 for a long time because I think it is such a good idea: just musical musings that don't necessarily go anywhere; are not Stones related. But who else are you going to tell this stuff to? My girlfriend is up at 4 am for a while, feeding animals, and is completely over listening to my latest grain discoveries at this hour.

I was driving, and listening to these DJs having a very interesting discussion about bands in general. They had reached the 90's, and one guy was talking about Nirvana vs Pearl Jam; and how Nirvana had done those incredible albums, but when Cobain killed himself, they immediately hit iconic level. And like it or not, it just works that way.
Then some 3rd DJ piped in saying it was the same with Amy Winehouse and Jeff Buckley.
And I disagree totally. Nirvana did their albums; two were incredible. And at that time they were the #1 band in the world. They had already reached full potential. One could, COULD say that there is the possibility that they would have gone downhill; that they became boring. Or that they became better.
But Amy and Buckley both had a gift from heaven that was undeniable. And they hadn't even hit their full stride yet. As great a singer Buckley was, his writing, and his band were still labored. On "Grace" the two best songs are "Hallelujah" and "Lover you should'v come over" IMO - a cover and the simplest song of the record. One can already hear on the demos for "sweetheart" how much his writing had improved and become more focused.
Amy's "Back in Black" was phenomenal. She just needed to get consistent. Tony Bennett had said she was the best singer he had worked with since the great Jazz singers from the 50's.
Random thoughts

Date: April 5, 2019 18:26

Third Eye Blind - The Background - The guitar tone haunting and amazing such a great song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2019 18:38

I have a new appreciation for Let's Work.

smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 5, 2019 18:43

Hairball
I have a new appreciation for Let's Work.

smiling smiley

Please check your calendar, it's April 5, not April 1.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: April 5, 2019 18:47

Enjoy all weekend long Stax soul classics !

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 5, 2019 19:28

One of the most disturbing sounds ever recorded that never fails to creep me out is Joni Mitchell's little fake laugh at the end of "Big Yellow Taxi."

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: April 5, 2019 20:16

there a hell of a lot of great rock bands out there, just as good as any of the past,no promotion they cant see the light of day,classic rock radio has killed it,they just assume to play more than a feeling , open arms , and free bird , a thousand times a day than break up and comers,years ago rock was broken into heavy metal , grunge, punk new wave its just rock n roll, the best form of music ever to come down the pike

Date: April 5, 2019 21:12

Life has always been a struggle except when you listen to Keith's telecaster on struggle the tone, Will But You Wont this cures everything - Jeff Beck could pay 1000 notes but Keith has to only play a few chords.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:12

Palace Revolution 2000
When Elmo started this thread I was hoping it would stay Page 1 for a long time because I think it is such a good idea: just musical musings that don't necessarily go anywhere; are not Stones related. But who else are you going to tell this stuff to? My girlfriend is up at 4 am for a while, feeding animals, and is completely over listening to my latest grain discoveries at this hour.

I was driving, and listening to these DJs having a very interesting discussion about bands in general. They had reached the 90's, and one guy was talking about Nirvana vs Pearl Jam; and how Nirvana had done those incredible albums, but when Cobain killed himself, they immediately hit iconic level. And like it or not, it just works that way.
Then some 3rd DJ piped in saying it was the same with Amy Winehouse and Jeff Buckley.
And I disagree totally. Nirvana did their albums; two were incredible. And at that time they were the #1 band in the world. They had already reached full potential. One could, COULD say that there is the possibility that they would have gone downhill; that they became boring. Or that they became better.
But Amy and Buckley both had a gift from heaven that was undeniable. And they hadn't even hit their full stride yet. As great a singer Buckley was, his writing, and his band were still labored. On "Grace" the two best songs are "Hallelujah" and "Lover you should'v come over" IMO - a cover and the simplest song of the record. One can already hear on the demos for "sweetheart" how much his writing had improved and become more focused.
Amy's "Back in Black" was phenomenal. She just needed to get consistent. Tony Bennett had said she was the best singer he had worked with since the great Jazz singers from the 50's.
Random thoughts

I’ve not been able to listen to Nirvana really since 95-96. The music was punk, joyous, and the times felt so different, there was an energetic air about from 89-94 (granted my formative teenage years) but that band made no sense after his suicide. It’s hard to hear it, remember the energy, and see what it became.
In a sense, Oasis were more reflective of that time than Nirvana for me anyway.

Cobain could pump out songs in his sleep, I would like to have seen him go solo. Nirvanas leadbelly cover at the unplugged gig shows he could have been his own form of bluesman, i think an acoustic guitar and him were more than enough for him to have lasted.

Amy Winehouse, another one that could have been, a one off whose tastes were cool and put her own spin on it all. I was lucky to have caught her live twice.

Today’s personal musical observation; Elmore James has overtaken Muddy, Magic Sam & Robert Johnson as my favourite bluesman.

Date: April 5, 2019 21:18

Been listening to the boxset from Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals - pure treasure.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 5, 2019 21:59

I never listened to Big Star until last year. Better late than never. Interesting band, or ‘collection of players’ I should say. Great songs.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 5, 2019 22:11

...there is always music playing in my head.
It never goes away.
Wifey thinks I'm crazy but I can't believe that I'm the only one.

confused smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 5, 2019 22:39

Well i write songs, not bad actually, wrote one this week, but i love it when i listen to something that i know i could never be good enough to write like that in a month of Sundays. So that's why i love this band, i could never write SFTD Gimme Shelter, Time Waits For No One etc. I mean who can write like that, Mick Taylor, who plays like that, just amazing, those Killer Riffs and intro's , Jagger's raunchy brand of Rock, nothing tops it.

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 5, 2019 23:48

Kurt
...there is always music playing in my head.
It never goes away.
Wifey thinks I'm crazy but I can't believe that I'm the only one.

confused smiley

No, no, you're not the only one... (not that this means your wife isn't right...)

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 5, 2019 23:55

I repeat ...

If Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and or Tyler Childers do not open for the Stones on at least one of the US shows this year...then somebody dropped the ball!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2019 00:13

Harmonica Frank deserves some RockNRoll fame....
His Sun stuff is the closet Huck Finn ever got to cuttin' a record...

Rock A Little Baby ……. and it does

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2019 00:26

Watching the doc Jeff Beck: Still On the Run and wondering how I missed this. Ronnie is seen quite a bit. Worth looking for if you haven’t seen it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 6, 2019 01:53

My observation is to avoid the radio ...man what a load of shit is playing these day's ........dozens of stations and not one decent song.......... just try to rediscover some oldies like Fleetwood Mac with the great guitar players Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan

Enjoy while you can .................................

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-07 01:30 by NICOS.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 6, 2019 04:35

NICOS
My observation is to avoid the radio ...man what a load of shit is playing these day's ........dozens of stations and not one decent song.......... just try to rediscover some oldies like Fleetwood Mac with the great guitar players Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan

Enjoy why you can .................................

[www.youtube.com]

This is my Friday night viewing sorted! Thanks Nicos

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 6, 2019 05:06

Found out today that my tickets to the Neil Young solo show in May at the QE Theatre in Vancouver now include support act Elvis Costello - also solo. Very pleased.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 6, 2019 05:22

Soon we will be losing many of our classic rock bands such as the Stones, the Who, Dylan, McCartney etc. So now is the time to make the effort to see them.
Personally, I’m not ready to say “I sure miss The Rolling Stones”. But odds are
the time will arrive sooner than we would like...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home